Props to Devin Weston's mission branch for actually involving car

38 replies to this topic
Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

Yeah I agree. After taking care of Weston, Lester should have hacked the money into your accounts. At least 100k to Franklin with a text message.

Well that's the only way they could justify Devin Weston being the end-game antagonist...

Stiffing the guys on paying for a couple stolen automobiles...

He did also try to kill Michael and his family I agree he was a weak antagonist but that was definitely a good enough reason to want him dead.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Why the f*ck am I on here during Christmas?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

Yeah I agree. After taking care of Weston, Lester should have hacked the money into your accounts. At least 100k to Franklin with a text message.

Well that's the only way they could justify Devin Weston being the end-game antagonist...

Stiffing the guys on paying for a couple stolen automobiles...

He did also try to kill Michael and his family I agree he was a weak antagonist but that was definitely a good enough reason to want him dead.

Does anybody remember why?

At that late stage in the game, I really wasn't questioning any of the bullsh*t, as the story died repeatedly by that point.

• Official General likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:17 AM

Devin seemed a bit like a kleptomaniac of some sorts. He liked having money, having power. Being able to do whatever he wants, and tell people to do what he wants - and not pay them.

He could easily buy the cars, but I feel like a couple of them were actually "priceless." I think the JB700 and the Z-Type? I'm not sure. But a couple were ones that could possibly not be for sale. Regardless, he liked the idea of having this collection of cars that were stolen. They weren't bought with cash he would never miss. He had some guys work hard and steal these for him, and the fact that they were stolen made him appreciate them more.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:41 AM Edited by Official General, 20 May 2014 - 02:55 AM.

I'm curious too as to why it mattered to so many people about the lack of pay in these missions. By the time Trevor becomes available to play each character -thanks to the jewel store job- has enough spending money to buy whichever clothing or weapon modification he pleases.

Properties are the only thing you need huge chunks of money for, but without boosts from the stock market it's impossible or generally uninteresting to just grind your money to have the millions required.

So no, I don't get it either why the lack of pay from the majority of story missions is such an issue.
It makes quite a change compared to previous games of the series, true, but it's not like we have three times more stuff to spend the money on.

You have to understand that it's not just about the money itself. It's about the sense of achievement and fulfillment that follows from doing a heist or major mission. Getting paid just cements that feeling, it gives you a purpose and impetus for doing all this crazy criminal sh*t. Going around stealing cars for some dumb egotistical rich guy and not getting paid just made Franklin, Michael and Trevor look like a bunch of dozy b*tches being played, and it was already bad enough them doing that for the FIB also. I really did not like that feeling, kinda ruined 'the pursuit of the dollar' theme for me. 

You're right about spending the money on limited things though - the stocks and shares were boring and too drawn-out, business were not that great, and you could no buy properties. I have no argument there with you on that.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:49 AM Edited by Officer Ronson, 20 May 2014 - 06:49 AM.

You guys do realise he was going to sell those cars right? And ofc, a couple of them belonged to people he didn't certainly like.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

You guys do realise he was going to sell those cars right? And ofc, a couple of them belonged to people he didn't certainly like.

Going to ? The bottom line is we did not get paid for it, and furthermore this is of no relevance to that point. 

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

There should also have been more Simeon missions. It's a shame that his involvement in the story ended so quickly.

I agree, he is funny dude.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I think the idea of not paying the protagonist throughout the majority of the game is simply a long winded preparation for that final paycheck you earn from the Big Score.

The protagonists and the player himself is given incentive and excitement to pull off the final Big Score because everyone wants to finally earn that precious money.
If, hypothetically, the protagonist had been constantly paid for whatever menial work billionaires or government agents had tasked them to do, then, pulling that final heist is just to add some extra buck to your cash reserve, it just wouldn't have felt the same as the game's current way of saying "man, don't you just get tired of never getting paid, don't worry, soon, we'll pull off that big score, soon, you'll finally have that money to fill a whole lake with!"
Had the player always been paid for the majority of the missions, then he wouldn't get that same feeling and excitement of 'finally getting my dough!' in pulling the final heist.

I don't necessarily agree with Rockstar's logic in this, but I can somewhat understand what they were aiming for.

But clearly the lack of praise on that regard will surely be corrected in future installments, perhaps even in the oncoming DLC.

More importantly to me though is to actually have stuff to spend the money on.
Buying vehicles on the in-game internet websites is also a big money spending area, but the majority of such vehicles can be easily procured by stealing it in the sandbox world, so it's pointless.

The fact that recent patches also freely adds efficient/overpowered vehicles to your garage also diminishes the importance of purchasing vehicles.

Except for the couple of rare cars that doesn't exist in the in-game world itself, like the Z-Type.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

I think the idea of not paying the protagonist throughout the majority of the game is simply a long winded preparation for that final paycheck you earn from the Big Score.

The protagonists and the player himself is given incentive and excitement to pull off the final Big Score because everyone wants to finally earn that precious money.
If, hypothetically, the protagonist had been constantly paid for whatever menial work billionaires or government agents had tasked them to do, then, pulling that final heist is just to add some extra buck to your cash reserve, it just wouldn't have felt the same as the game's current way of saying "man, don't you just get tired of never getting paid, don't worry, soon, we'll pull off that big score, soon, you'll finally have that money to fill a whole lake with!"
Had the player always been paid for the majority of the missions, then he wouldn't get that same feeling and excitement of 'finally getting my dough!' in pulling the final heist.

I don't necessarily agree with Rockstar's logic in this, but I can somewhat understand what they were aiming for.

But clearly the lack of praise on that regard will surely be corrected in future installments, perhaps even in the oncoming DLC.

More importantly to me though is to actually have stuff to spend the money on.
Buying vehicles on the in-game internet websites is also a big money spending area, but the majority of such vehicles can be easily procured by stealing it in the sandbox world, so it's pointless.

The fact that recent patches also freely adds efficient/overpowered vehicles to your garage also diminishes the importance of purchasing vehicles.

Except for the couple of rare cars that doesn't exist in the in-game world itself, like the Z-Type.

Fair points  :^:

Even then, Rockstar's pacing of the earning money system was way off the mark. Rockstar could have added many smaller missions and mini-heists for us to get paid in moderate amounts, until the final big score. We could have steadily increased our bank balance and bought affordable businesses along the way to supplement our income - if the businesses had not been so slow in making profit returns. We could have gradually worked our way up from being well-off to extremely rich by the end and it would felt all the more fulfilling.

The problem in V though, was that there was a huge gap between the first major heist at the jewelry store and the later major heists where we did not not get paid any money for other big jobs. During that time, most businesses could not even be afforded by most players (unless you were good at stocks or cheated). The businesses that could be bought just took SO long to get profit returns, it became so time consuming and long-winded that could not be bothered with them. It was only by the time the game finished I could afford most businesses, and by then I was so rich, that there was not much point. 

Vice City handle the business asset feature best, and SA did well with it too. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users