» «
Photo

Props to Devin Weston's mission branch for actually involving car

38 replies to this topic
Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:01 PM Edited by Grievous, 17 May 2014 - 12:03 PM.

Props to Devin Weston's mission branch for actually involving car theft.

I personally thought the handful of missions given by Devin Weston were underrated.
Specifically in the idea that they were perhaps the only set of missions in the game that both consists of stealing vehicles And remain relevant to the story and the protagonist's ploy in earning money.

Perhaps the fact that he was tied to the Merryweather mercenaries was unneeded, but what i'll mostly remember from him were the exciting car chase sequences from his missions, and the brilliant sudden nostalgic 'top down view' from the "Eye in the Sky" mission where you're tracking a luxury car in a hit and run sequence.

It was through Devin Weston's missions that I was suddenly pulled back and realized that I was actually playing a good old fashion "Grand Theft Auto", in spite of all the new storytelling thematic, social commentaries, different gameplay style, general deconstruction of the criminal life fantasy trope and the likes.

Shame there was only a mere handful, but they sure made a better impression than all those trivial heist preparations, no?
  • epoxi, Doland J. Trump, Shah Sam and 3 others like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Shame that you don't get paid for stealing those cars.

• lizardman563, Official General, Choco Taco and 7 others like this

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:09 PM Edited by King Kapone, 17 May 2014 - 12:09 PM.

Yeah I agree. After taking care of Weston, Lester should have hacked the money into your accounts. At least 100k to Franklin with a text message.
  • theGTAking101, Bonnano, Detective Phelps and 1 other like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

There should also have been more Simeon missions. It's a shame that his involvement in the story ended so quickly.

• epoxi, archiebunker, Wolfhuman and 7 others like this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Probably kept for DLC, an optional heist mission where you get to steal the cars back by lifting containers in the docks, one by one, with fidgety helicopter controls ... yeah.

But maybe you'll get a freefall sequence as one of the container door opens and the vehicles starts to fly off!

Nah, too unoriginal.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Perhaps, shocking as it may seem, "GTA Online" is the true Grand Theft Auto? I mean, literally half the missions involve either stealing a car for someone or stealing something from someone.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

There should also have been more Simeon missions. It's a shame that his involvement in the story ended so quickly.

This. Spot on  :^:

A big problem I had with Devin Weston's missions is that you never get paid for them. And with regards to a set of major car theft missions, these should have been to do with Simeon Yetarin, they have perfectly suited him. There could have been a great opportunity to provide some replay value by doing import/export car theft side missions given by Simeon too, something similar to Brucie's from GTA IV, but with added improvements or new ideas. 

Another problem I had with Devin Weston's car missions, is what was the purpose behind them was. Weston is already a billionaire, and filthy rich from his private security company and his other legitimate business interests, just why the f*ck would he waste his time running a large-scale car theft ring ? The whole just did not make much sense to me. This is another closely-looked at example of how badly structured and written GTA V's story turned out to be.

• Choco Taco, BlackNoise, theGTAking101 and 2 others like this

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Devin Weston is the prototypical character of greed. Never satisfied, always wants more more more. Either that or he led them on a wild goose chase for the cars just to f*ck with them.
  • fac316 and theGTAking101 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Another problem I had with Devin Weston's car missions, is what was the purpose behind them was. Weston is already a billionaire, and filthy rich from his private security company and his other legitimate business interests, just why the f*ck would he waste his time running a large-scale car theft ring ? The whole just did not make much sense to me. This is another closely-looked at example of how badly structured and written GTA V's story turned out to be.

I think we all know that GTA 5's story has more potholes than a Romanian highway. Sadly, Rockstar will never address that for us.

• Official General, theGTAking101 and Bonnano like this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

Although I really don't like the second half of the story I thought these missions were fun as they made up for the lack of vehicle theft side missions in free roam.
  • theGTAking101 likes this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Perhaps, shocking as it may seem, "GTA Online" is the true Grand Theft Auto? I mean, literally half the missions involve either stealing a car for someone or stealing something from someone.

Whoa, think I really have to try Online at least once, just to see the 'what could V would have been' angle.
Although I doubt there's actually any relevant 'story' to it? just one random mission tied to another?

This. Spot on  :^:

A big problem I had with Devin Weston's missions is that you never get paid for them. And with regards to a set of major car theft missions, these should have been to do with Simeon Yetarin, they have perfectly suited him. There could have been a great opportunity to provide some replay value by doing import/export car theft side missions given by Simeon too, something similar to Brucie's from GTA IV, but with added improvements or new ideas. 

Funny, the bit on complaining about not getting paid for the car theft, and yet, what will you actually get to do with the in-game money? there's nothing worth buying, besides the same expensive cars you stole in the first place that becomes available on the internet websites.

From that same twisted logic, Devin Weston does the same thing: he has the money to purchase the cars himself, but why will he do that if he can make a profit by stealing them instead? and what will he do with the money he made from that profit? nothing! back to more devious thieving!

But i'll agree on the 'badly structured plot', and the lack of other gameplay activities such as import/exports as discussed in other threads.
  • Official General likes this

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:49 PM Edited by Tilemaxx, 17 May 2014 - 12:49 PM.

"Eye in the Sky" in particular, was a great mission. I love the Z-Type.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Whoa, think I really have to try Online at least once, just to see the 'what could V would have been' angle.

Although I doubt there's actually any relevant 'story' to it? just one random mission tied to another?

Pretty much. It's just a long orgy of "drive here, steal/kill this, mission passed".

• Official General and Bonnano like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:13 PM Edited by Official General, 17 May 2014 - 01:12 PM.

Funny, the bit on complaining about not getting paid for the car theft, and yet, what will you actually get to do with the in-game money? there's nothing worth buying, besides the same expensive cars you stole in the first place that becomes available on the internet websites.

From that same twisted logic, Devin Weston does the same thing: he has the money to purchase the cars himself, but why will he do that if he can make a profit by stealing them instead? and what will he do with the money he made from that profit? nothing! back to more devious thieving!

But i'll agree on the 'badly structured plot', and the lack of other gameplay activities such as import/exports as discussed in other threads.

* Regardless, you should still get paid at some point. It just felt like wasted effort while doing these missions and it kinda pissed me off. There was less motivation for me to do them as time went on, knowing I won't get paid. Just my opinion. 

* No offence, but your second part is bullsh*t to me. Devon Weston is not a millionaire, he's a damn BILLIONAIRE. And his wealth is legitimate. There is just NO real need for a man to have to go through the bother of stealing expensive cars that would probably cost peanuts to him if he is a stinking rich billionaire - which Weston obviously is. Why bother risk your life of immense luxury, riches, and freedom going to jail just to make a little profit on stolen luxury cars, when you're a f*cking billionaire that can legally buy ten luxury cars and not even notice the cost missing from your bank account ? Come on bro, your logic is so flawed it's unreal. 

Pretty much. It's just a long orgy of "drive here, steal/kill this, mission passed".

Yeah I had a feeling it was gonna be that. I've not bothered with online after playing just once.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

Devin Weston's logic is that he enjoys making a fool out of people as he is dead certain that with his wealth he can always 'get away with it' and never face consequences, even if the car theft were busted and the police seizes the vehicles, he can always resort to another alternative of retrieving the vehicles and never fear of getting sold out by the thugs he hired in the first place.

It's what eventually gets him killed, that overconfidence that wealth can protect him from anything.

In a car crash, for irony.

Rarely have Grand Theft Auto antagonists have ever been the brightest of bunch.
Government agents hiring street hoodlums to pull out their dirty deeds is also another insane logic, but makes for fun gameplay.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:43 PM Edited by Official General, 18 May 2014 - 11:40 PM.

Devin Weston's logic is that he enjoys making a fool out of people as he is dead certain that with his wealth he can always 'get away with it' and never face consequences, even if the car theft were busted and the police seizes the vehicles, he can always resort to another alternative of retrieving the vehicles and never fear of getting sold out by the thugs he hired in the first place.

It's what eventually gets him killed, that overconfidence that wealth can protect him from anything.

In a car crash, for irony.

Rarely have Grand Theft Auto antagonists have ever been the brightest of bunch.
Government agents hiring street hoodlums to pull out their dirty deeds is also another insane logic, but makes for fun gameplay.

Okay, now you've explained it like that, I understand the point of Weston's character more, But it's still a very far fetched and not very feasible a plot or idea, even for GTA's standards. I just think it was a poor choice of character and plot writing from Rockstar, that's what it boils down to. 

Rockstar's previous antagonists may have not been the brightest, they still always had a straightforward set of objectives that made cohesive, plausible sense. In V it's not the case, they just seem to be all over the f*cking place, not knowing what it is exactly they are trying to do, or why they are trying to do it.

Having said that, some of his missions were crazy fun. That airport car chase was insane, I really liked that sh*t. 

• Bonnano likes this

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:49 PM Edited by Tilemaxx, 17 May 2014 - 01:50 PM.

In SA, we had a a top government agent assigning the steal of a jetpack prototype to a "random" gangbanger from the ghetto. Don't look out for logic in GTA series.

• LogScottWood likes this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Rockstar's previous antagonists may have not been the brightest, they still always had a straightforward objectives that made cohesive, plausible sense. In V it's not the case, they just seem to be all over the f*cking place, not knowing what it is exactly they are trying to do, or why they are trying to do it.

It's possible that V's plot is just that, centering on the idea that people will go ahead and do just about any sort of nonsensical thing just to get their hands on money, wealth, promotions, fame, or bragging rights.
But i'll agree that the plot structure is too loose and characters appear more like walking caricatures than actual persons with relatable or understandable 'goals'.

Hopefully with a shorter story the DLC will have a clearer focus.
Alternatively it might fly again all over the place like the Ballad of Gay Tony did, ah, we'll see.

But i'll still take V's plot any day over some zombie alien nonsense!

Having said that, some of his missions were crazy fun. That airport car chase was insane, I really liked that sh*t.

That was technically part of Solomon Richard's mission branch, but yeah, Devin instigated the whole thing, so it counts!

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

In SA, we had a a top government agent assigning the steal of a jetpack prototype to a "random" gangbanger from the ghetto. Don't look out for logic in GTA series.

I thought it was The Truth who gave that mission?  Anyway, your point still stands.

On Topic:  A lot of missions in V revolve around car theft.  In fact, the mission where Franklin and Michael meet is not only a car theft mission, but home invasion too (and maybe a slight callback to Mad Dogg's Rhymes?).  Also, almost every heist involves at least one mission where you have to steal a vehicle.  The only exception I can think of is The Bureau Raid (Loud Approach).

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Truth or Toreno? I can't remember. Either way, having a hippie or an agent assigning you that task, it's the same "comic-relief" logic.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

On Topic:  A lot of missions in V revolve around car theft.  In fact, the mission where Franklin and Michael meet is not only a car theft mission, but home invasion too (and maybe a slight callback to Mad Dogg's Rhymes?).  Also, almost every heist involves at least one mission where you have to steal a vehicle.  The only exception I can think of is The Bureau Raid (Loud Approach).

Car theft missions are still plenty, yes, but Devin Weston's mission branch was particular in that it exclusively focused on stealing vehicles.
Heist preparatory missions depended on the method you pick, and the vehicles you steal at times are mostly for the content located within -carbine rifles, military hardware- than for the vehicle itself.

Simeon's missions fit the bill too, but it went too brief and too soon in the game as mere tutorial/introductory missions.
Devin's missions crops out midway through the game from out of nowhere and it felt like a breath of fresh air; for once you aren't pitted at a random shootout for a change!

Truth or Toreno? I can't remember. Either way, having a hippie or an agent assigning you that task, it's the same "comic-relief" logic.

Truth gave the jetpack assignment, Torreno did later asked Carl to steal a fighter jet, so it's close enough.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yeah.  They should have made it rewarding.  I don't like playing missions and feeling like a chump after completing them.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

Devin Weston is the prototypical character of greed. Never satisfied, always wants more more more. Either that or he led them on a wild goose chase for the cars just to f*ck with them.

Reminds me of Gordon Gecko, seems like he has your best intrests, already has more then enough money, he's doing you the favor, then WHAM! you've been used like a condom, with nothing to show for it.

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

Did like his few missions. I'd forgive not getting paid if we could steal and keep the fully outfitted JB700

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:53 AM

I particularly liked Eye In The Sky, where not only do you have the nostalgic top down view, you're also chasing one of the iconic cars from GTA 2. 

I would have liked to have seen what Lamar had to go through to steal the Monroe.  

• epoxi likes this

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

lol am I the only one who didn't care I didn't get paid? I thought the missions were fun and that's all that mattered.

I didn't even notice I wasn't paid until my second playthrough.

I didn't like "Eye In The Sky" to be honest. I hate it as a mission.

You drive to a helicopter, listen to a conversation, and then watch a five minute car chase before driving to the airport. Why couldn't I play as Franklin? I wanted to drive, not sit in a helicopter and watch.
  • epoxi and Bonnano like this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:47 AM Edited by epoxi, 18 May 2014 - 09:49 AM.

I think it also would have been nice to follow-up the theft missions with some e-mail/text ones like in GTAIV (maybe you get messages from an anonymous contact who has seen your work with Simeon/Devin, maybe if they didn't kill her off you could have done some work with Devin's lawyer). I enjoyed trying to work out where each car was from the photo, and getting shown all the locations on a map at the end of the story to help me with the tricky ones.

Grand Theft Auto definitely needs some more grand thieving of autos.
  • Bonnano likes this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

lol am I the only one who didn't care I didn't get paid? I thought the missions were fun and that's all that mattered.

I didn't like "Eye In The Sky" to be honest. I hate it as a mission.

I'm curious too as to why it mattered to so many people about the lack of pay in these missions. By the time Trevor becomes available to play each character -thanks to the jewel store job- has enough spending money to buy whichever clothing or weapon modification he pleases.
Properties are the only thing you need huge chunks of money for, but without boosts from the stock market it's impossible or generally uninteresting to just grind your money to have the millions required.

So no, I don't get it either why the lack of pay from the majority of story missions is such an issue.
It makes quite a change compared to previous games of the series, true, but it's not like we have three times more stuff to spend the money on.

Nothing much happens on "Eye in the Sky", true, at least for the interaction part. The joy to me was simply watching the scene unfold while it keeps the top down view, especially chasing after a car that we haven't seen since Grand Theft Auto 2! It felt out of this world.

I think it also would have been nice to follow-up the theft missions with some e-mail/text ones like in GTAIV (maybe you get messages from an anonymous contact who has seen your work with Simeon/Devin, maybe if they didn't kill her off you could have done some work with Devin's lawyer). I enjoyed trying to work out where each car was from the photo, and getting shown all the locations on a map at the end of the story to help me with the tricky ones.

Grand Theft Auto definitely needs some more grand thieving of autos.

I just realized that the Epsilon program does include a mission where you had to track down a set of vehicles along with pictures to guide you on the fixed locations.

Or you can just buy them off on the in-game internet and skip the city scouting part.

But it's been a while in Grand Theft Autos where car thefts aren't nearly close as being a center piece of the story or mission objectives.
Which is what astounded me in Devin Weston's missions. So suddenly in the game, a character asks you to go steal cars for him, through unique set pieces and mission designs and not just some random idle chases.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

I'm curious too as to why it mattered to so many people about the lack of pay in these missions. 

Because if you're not getting paid, you're nothing but a bitch who's being used.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

Yeah I agree. After taking care of Weston, Lester should have hacked the money into your accounts. At least 100k to Franklin with a text message.

Well that's the only way they could justify Devin Weston being the end-game antagonist...

Stiffing the guys on paying for a couple stolen automobiles...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users