Quantcast

» «
Photo

Has anyone tried keeping Brian alive until the end of the game?

15 replies to this topic
Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hi, welcome to a new topic that is neither controversial, nor involves Grand Theft Auto V, or any other wild WTF moments involving a Pisswasser bottle.

As you all know, during the mission in The Lost & Damned where you are tasked in dealing with Brian once and for all, you're left with many options as to how to engage this mission.

If you choose to storm the derelict building, you'll end up facing Brian and left with an option to spare him. If you spare him, he'll appear just a minute after the mission completion as a random stranger encounter.

I've realized that in all my playthroughs of this game, whenever I chose to spare Brian, I always tackle his random encounter mission immediately afterwards. Mostly because it seemed right to just finish the ordeal with Brian as soon as possible, also because Johnny's line of "You were gone for, like, Five Minutes, man!" rang so true from a gameplay perspective.

So I wonder, what if Brian was spared, but the player ignores his random encounter, and the player continues with the story missions until the end. And after the end credits, only then does Johnny goes to see Brian.

What, if anything, will happen?

Will Brian still be around to engage the player or will he have vanished from the game completely?

If he is still there, will his dialogue change and remark on the events of the game's final mission?

Or the developers couldn't have thought of everything, and nothing changes at all?

Spoiler

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:32 PM Edited by Drunken Cowboy, 16 May 2014 - 11:32 PM.

No main NPCs appear in free roam unless prompted. You never see Eddie Low or that guy who murdered his wife despite not having killed them yet.

I'm pretty sure the plan was to kill Brian, I'm surprised you were even given the option to spare him. (Who even spared him who wasn't just trying to see what that random encounter was like?)
It's like how none of them are ever around the clubhouse even when they are alive, or how the clubhouse is still packed with bikers after Brian's coup. The one thing I can actually commend GTA V on is having protagonists and protagonists' friends and family be roaming in the world (albeit, a specific spot) when not on a mission.

For the spoiler, if anything, Brian is the one who deserves to get his head stomped. 

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Before the devs started taking our awesome cars away!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Spare? What is this foreign word? Does it come from Serbia? I only know of execution when playing as Johnny :p

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

It's a shame that the new handgun introduced in Lost & Damned makes such a faint sound for the executions, given it's a fully automatic pistol, you would expect Johnny to just riddle the corpse with all seventeen bullets!

Thus I always make sure to have the heavy pistol equipped for these two execution scenes.

Incidentally, how come the Sawn-Off shotgun wasn't used for execution scenes in Lost & Damned? I remember being genuinely surprised in my first playthrough ...

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

I actually did spare him the first time I played. Why? Because I always spared people when given an option. I guess as well I would have rather humiliated him than let him go outright.

I didn't know about the mission until later so played it out at the end. Nothing interesting happens.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

I'm pretty sure the plan was to kill Brian, I'm surprised you were even given the option to spare him. (Who even spared him who wasn't just trying to see what that random encounter was like?) 

Terry seems to be rather reluctant to kill him in the cutscene, even though he can help you do so in gameplay. He says, "Goddamn it! Brian was my brother,", and shakes his head sadly at Jim as Johnny walks off.

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Terry seems to be rather reluctant to kill him in the cutscene, even though he can help you do so in gameplay. He says, "Goddamn it! Brian was my brother,", and shakes his head sadly at Jim as Johnny walks off.

He, Brian and Johnny rode to Los Santos in 2004. Something happened between them I suspect, maybe the truce between the lost and AOD. Before Billy changed I imagine Brian got along fairly well with Johnny but after that he stayed loyal to Billy's whims.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

The story kinda seemed like Brian and the guys used to be a lot closer, but how he was presented in TLaD I don't see how he could have ever been anything besides "a kiss-ass little weasel!" 

And the patches he and Johnny have are supposedly something like "riding out a sentence", so they went to prison in Los Santos together while CJ was ambushing military convoys via jetpack.

VanillaIce
  • VanillaIce

Cole Phelps FanBoy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

no there is no way i would of Spared that little c*nt hands down the Most Irritating Character in Grand Theft Auto History  but with that being said he was also a really good Antagonist.

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

The story kinda seemed like Brian and the guys used to be a lot closer, but how he was presented in TLaD I don't see how he could have ever been anything besides "a kiss-ass little weasel!" 

And the patches he and Johnny have are supposedly something like "riding out a sentence", so they went to prison in Los Santos together while CJ was ambushing military convoys via jetpack.

I think this too but it's not out of the realm of possibility that Brian upped the ante on his suck up game, especially once the rift between Johnny and Billy began.

There's many odd things about Brian really. Billy doesn't seem whole into the suck up thing so how did Brian get so high in The Lost? They supposedly were both convicted of murder at the same time so it could have been the same murder *shrug*. So that might explain how he got high up which ironically goes against everything The Lost is meant to be about but why Terry thinks of Brian as a brother... I don't know... it's odd.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

I think this too but it's not out of the realm of possibility that Brian upped the ante on his suck up game, especially once the rift between Johnny and Billy began.

There's many odd things about Brian really. Billy doesn't seem whole into the suck up thing so how did Brian get so high in The Lost? They supposedly were both convicted of murder at the same time so it could have been the same murder *shrug*. So that might explain how he got high up which ironically goes against everything The Lost is meant to be about but why Terry thinks of Brian as a brother... I don't know... it's odd.

Story-wise he was a cool guy who made it to Secretary, for the sake of hating him in gameplay they turned his prick factor up to 11. Just some inconsistency I guess.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Before the devs started taking our awesome cars away!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

A secretary is a high rank? Aren't they supposed to handle paperwork or something? :lol:

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

HESOYAM

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

I'm on my second playthrough of TLAD, this time I spared him.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

Wasn't Brian's role in the story to act as the sore thumb that essentially shows in plain sight just how unhinged and potentially corrupt Billy's regime is?

Would have been a whole different story had Billy not had a single plot related character that shows sympathy to him as well. Brian fills that role, it gives Billy a more 'villainous' approach as being the one who carries a dimwit henchman around him.
Truly, try and depict the scenes between Johnny and Billy if Brian wasn't around to show support to Billy. We'll essentially have Johnny, Terry, Clay, Angus and Jim, five of them against one Billy Grey. It'll shine out the 'mutiny' aspect more, and couldn't have that now could we?

Brian is there to give an impression as to what sort of 'followers' are there in Billy's footsteps, and makes the whole civil war episode easier to swallow: if a guy such as Brian is Billy's second in command, it's not unfeasible many Lost brothers will be against Johnny Klebitz.

Then we found out in V that there are other Lost bikers that still praises Billy Grey, so it's gone to the toilet again.

I'm on my second playthrough of TLAD, this time I spared him.

Cool, keep us updated if you have the time ...

Hold on ...

I'm on my second playthrough of TLAD

Just joking, and maybe I'm the unhinged fan here, but I tend to give a good handful if not sometimes dozens of playthrough to each Grand Theft Autos, even to my least favored ones.
Well then again that was back in the days when I had more time.

lol232
  • lol232

We happy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

I always spare him only for the random encounter. It's more fun.
If I didn't get anything I would just kill him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users