» «
Photo

So what is the nationality of Niko?

73 replies to this topic
Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:54 PM Edited by Official General, 21 May 2014 - 11:26 PM.

It is never really said what Niko's nationality is. 

This is true. It is never fully confirmed or established exactly what country Niko comes from. But all available evidence strongly points to him being from Serbia. He is definitely from country that is somewhere within the Balkan region of the former Yugoslavia Republic, that is for sure.

I think it's safe to say he's Serbian.

I think he is russian

Niko is definitely not Russian. He even says so himself quite a number of times in the game. 

• Cuexcomate likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

During "Do You Have Protection?" When Dimitri takes Niko to the gun shop to pick out a weapon the gun shop guy makes a comment (I can't remember exactly what), but Niko replied "I ain't Russian". So that rules out Russia straight away.

Although it's not explicitly clear for all intents and purposes I've always believed Niko to be Serbian. That's what the game seems to allude to more than anything else.

pajkosinjoSRB
  • pajkosinjoSRB

Corn

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

During "Do You Have Protection?" When Dimitri takes Niko to the gun shop to pick out a weapon the gun shop guy makes a comment (I can't remember exactly what), but Niko replied "I ain't Russian". So that rules out Russia straight away.

Although it's not explicitly clear for all intents and purposes I've always believed Niko to be Serbian. That's what the game seems to allude to more than anything else.

Niko speaks Serbian in the game, but he doesn't pronounce some words like he should since Michael Hollick isn't Serbian.

lol232
  • lol232

The Hardwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:58 PM Edited by lol232, 20 May 2014 - 02:02 PM.

Serb here, and I can confirm that he's Serbian, his pronunciation is quite poor.
Quite a few things that can prove that;
-Roman says his Serbian isn't so good in "The Cousins Bellic"
-He speaks with the Ekavica Dialect that's mostly in Serbia (Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia and Western Serbia all speak using a different dialect)
-Serbian flag when playing darts
-Billy, in TLaD, literally calls him a Serb when he states
Spoiler

Although he wasn't in the Bosnian war, but the Kosovo war. He was 20-ish when the war happened so he wasn't a kid back then. If you kill Darko, Florian clearly says "9 years ago", and obviously, 2008-9 is 1999. The Bosnian war happened quite before that.

He's totally Serbian. I can't think of any other eastern european countries that had big wars in the early 1990s with child soldiers.

It wasn't the early 90s wars, but very late 90s. And he wasn't a child in that war.
  • SonOfLiberty, Wolfhuman, Sprue and 3 others like this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

^I wanted to write completely same argument like you, but since you did it, the case is closed. All answers are in this topic. I think R* could focus little more to make him feel like Serbian instead of poor speaking they gave him. Anyway, yes he is Serbian.

P.S: Serb here.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

Florian doesn't say anything about years after you kill Darko, but he does when you spare him and clearly says "After what we had to live with these last twelve or thirteen years,..." clearly making it 1995-1996. Roman left to the USA in 1998 and making it as it happened in real life, he very likely spent some time in transfer camp somewhere in Greece or Italy. According to GTWikia Florian left in 1995, although I am not sure if it's stated anywhere in the game. 

The best is to say that Niko is Yugoslavian and he fought in Yugoslavian wars (not the Kosovo one).

• Hodgey. likes this

A-Wax8
  • A-Wax8

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

the fact that R* couldn't even pronounce its protagonist in IV (Bellick instead of Bellich like everyone else from the Balkan) was a big letdown

lol232
  • lol232

The Hardwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:16 PM Edited by lol232, 20 May 2014 - 09:24 PM.

Florian doesn't say anything about years after you kill Darko, but he does when you spare him and clearly says "After what we had to live with these last twelve or thirteen years,..." clearly making it 1995-1996. Roman left to the USA in 1998 and making it as it happened in real life, he very likely spent some time in transfer camp somewhere in Greece or Italy. According to GTWikia Florian left in 1995, although I am not sure if it's stated anywhere in the game. 

The best is to say that Niko is Yugoslavian and he fought in Yugoslavian wars (not the Kosovo one).

It was never stated when he left. It makes more sense if it was the Kosovo war though, considering Albanians are pretty much the first enemies (nothing really hardcore though), and considering, the fact that if it was the Bosnian war, he would have had the Jekavica dialect, not the Ekavica dialect. (honestly I haven't met a Serb in Bosnia with the Ekavica dialect, I could be very wrong though)

Niko also states at one point, "ten years ago".

Bozzah
  • Bozzah

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:45 AM Edited by Bozzah, 21 May 2014 - 05:49 AM.

It is very well possible that he is Serbian because of his mother's name:

http://en.wikipedia....ca_(given_name)

Roman could be half Serbian and half Croatian and thus be a catholic.

It is very hard to tell because Rockstar doesn't seem to have gathered enough information about the Balkan. They don't know how much it matters to us!

Spoiler

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

It does, Vlad saw Roman as a slave, he would threat him like a slave too. ''Fat slave'', makes more sense to me than: "fat serb''.

It is a pun. Serf/Serb, they look alike as words. You see the pun there?

Mr.Raspberry Jam
  • Mr.Raspberry Jam

Bringing great joy to a lonely man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:00 PM Edited by Mr.Raspberry Jam, 21 May 2014 - 11:01 PM.

I think that he was born in Yugoslavia, as it is said that he fought in the Balkan war. Obviously after the war the country split up and many people think that he is from modern-day Serbia. Although the Serbian in IV is mispronounced and not 100% great, it was still intended to be Serbian. The name Niko actually sounds more Russian and the last name Bellic is grammatically incorrect in the Serbian language. I think that his name was just meant to sound cool though, so R* didn't really put much thought into making it sound properly Serbian.
He's defiantly from Yugoslavia though, as this is where the Balkan war took place.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Niko said 10 years ago, but he made a mistake. Roman said personally he came to US ten years ago making it '98 and it was after the war, since they for example drunk last one intact bottle of vodka in ruined bar (mentioned in the game). R* made it quite clear that it was Yugoslavian war from '92 to '95 and it included croatians and/or serbs (...see fifty children seating neatly against the CHURCH wall...) Bosnians are islamic.

VanillaIce
  • VanillaIce

Cole Phelps FanBoy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

Niko Confirms he is from the Balkans in a Conversation with Eddie Low.

Nurkic
  • Nurkic

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

In the gta wiki pages it says that he is: "Serbian''. However this is 100% false. A Serbian contact of mine, confirmed this. He said that it sounded more like russian or so. He could understand a few words tho. When Niko runs from the police at times he say: "lepo zemlja'', which means:"what a nice land''.

Is it ever said what his real nationality is?

I'm Serbian, and I can assure you that Niko is Serbian. The actor is American himself which explains why some words are badly pronounced. C:

SimonJ360
  • SimonJ360

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

A common misconception is that he is definitely Serbian. i tend to disagree. first,  there isnt ANY proof saying he IS Serbian. He speaks Serbian? he fought the "War" (obviously Yoguslav Wars)?, Ok. He's from Yoguslavia obviously. now where in Yoguslavia? how can you be so sure he is Serbian? why not.... Croatian? The language spoken by Montenegrin people, Serbians, Croats and Bosnians is called Serbo-Croatian, and sometimes, Serbo-Croatian-Bosnian. Sam Houser clearly said that he has no clear nationality, so saying he is Serbian definitely or Croatian definitely is wrong.

what we DO know about him.

1. He is definitely a Slav.

2. most likely Yoguslav (The war, working across the adriatic, speaking Serbo-Croatian)...

3. now he cant be Bosnian or Slovenian because he doesn't show anything Slovenian. now since he speaks Serbo-Croatian its possible he's Bosbian, and as it appears, he is most likely not a Muslim, so he isnt Bosnian.

4. He isnt Macedonian because like Slovenian, he doesnt seem like one.

5. Finally, he is either Croatian, Montenegrin or Serbian.

By this information, He could be whatever you want him to be, Serbian, Croatian or Montenegrin. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

A common misconception is that he is definitely Serbian. i tend to disagree. first,  there isnt ANY proof saying he IS Serbian. He speaks Serbian? he fought the "War" (obviously Yoguslav Wars)?, Ok. He's from Yoguslavia obviously. now where in Yoguslavia? how can you be so sure he is Serbian? why not.... Croatian? The language spoken by Montenegrin people, Serbians, Croats and Bosnians is called Serbo-Croatian, and sometimes, Serbo-Croatian-Bosnian. Sam Houser clearly said that he has no clear nationality, so saying he is Serbian definitely or Croatian definitely is wrong.

2. most likely Yoguslav (The war, working across the adriatic, speaking Serbo-Croatian)...

3. now he cant be Bosnian or Slovenian because he doesn't show anything Slovenian. now since he speaks Serbo-Croatian its possible he's Bosbian, and as it appears, he is most likely not a Muslim, so he isnt Bosnian.

By this information, He could be whatever you want him to be, Serbian, Croatian or Montenegrin. 

Everyone here is more or less saying the same thing as you, except that some are convinced he his indeed Serbian based on what evidence is available. I see nothing wrong in that. 

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:32 AM Edited by Jimbatron, 31 May 2014 - 10:33 AM.

Not all Bosnians are Muslim.

Population comprised of Muslim Bosniaks (44 percent), Orthodox Serbs (31 percent) and Catholic Croats (17 percent) at the start of the civil war. It is quite possible Niko and Roman are Bosnian Othodox Serbs.

Roman refers to their language as Serbian. From the description of the war in the game however, it seems unlikely they lived in Serbia itself, but in one of the former Yugoslav states with with mixed ethnicity containing Serbs. Bosnia or Kosovo would seem most likely depending on the time, although there seems to be some doubt of how many years ago Niko was in the war.

lol232
  • lol232

The Hardwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:38 AM Edited by lol232, 31 May 2014 - 10:39 AM.

Croatian is quite different from Serbian, and nah he doesn't speak Croatian at all.
Another thing is, Niko will sometimes shout "Glupi Ameri" (can't remember if it's in a police shootout or just by walking down a street and running into someone), and "Amer (singular), Ameri (plural)" is a derogatory term for an American in Serbian (much like Ruskie for Russians, but not like ni**er for black people, it's not that offensive) and that's pretty mostly used in Serbia :pp.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

Population comprised of Muslim Bosniaks (44 percent), Orthodox Serbs (31 percent) and Catholic Croats (17 percent) at the start of the civil war. It is quite possible Niko and Roman are Bosnian Othodox Serbs.

Roman refers to their language as Serbian. From the description of the war in the game however, it seems unlikely they lived in Serbia itself, but in one of the former Yugoslav states with with mixed ethnicity containing Serbs. Bosnia or Kosovo would seem most likely depending on the time, although there seems to be some doubt of how many years ago Niko was in the war.

Nah, I think Niko and Roman are Serbian.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Ethnically Serbian was what I said, but I find it unlikely they were from Serbia itself - the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (now Serbia and Montenegro) did not suffer the same kind of internal fighting described by Niko. This seems to point more towards him being a Serbian from another country in former Yugoslavia.

Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:05 PM Edited by Deus Ex, 02 June 2014 - 09:06 PM.

He's from Yugoslavia, but since Yugoslavia used to be made out of couple of countries, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro and Bosnia & Herzegovina.
It can't be said from which country he is precisely, since most languages sound very similar. I can write out Slovenian and Macedonian, cuz they are more different ones, but others...not really. He could be either one of those, but my best gueses are either Serbia or Croatia. 

Niko speaks Serbian in the game, but he doesn't pronounce some words like he should since Michael Hollick isn't Serbian.

He sounds terrible, most words are pronounced wrongly. I even had troubles understanding some of the things he said. 

jkim_1
  • jkim_1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:03 PM Edited by jkim_1, 02 June 2014 - 10:05 PM.

His last name sounds Macedonian or Croatian. And Bellic shouldn't be pronounced as "Bel-ik", but it should be "Bel-ich".

There is always the possibility that his nationality is Serbian but his ethnic background is something else.

Edit: I found it funny that many characters would mistake Niko as Polish as many would refer to him as a "f*cking pollock". It's clear that he's definitely not Polish.

pajkosinjoSRB
  • pajkosinjoSRB

Corn

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:13 PM Edited by pajkosinjoSRB, 02 June 2014 - 10:15 PM.

Ethnically Serbian was what I said, but I find it unlikely they were from Serbia itself - the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (now Serbia and Montenegro) did not suffer the same kind of internal fighting described by Niko. This seems to point more towards him being a Serbian from another country in former Yugoslavia.

Serbia and Montenegro are two countries since 2006.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Edit: I found it funny that many characters would mistake Niko as Polish as many would refer to him as a "f*cking pollock". It's clear that he's definitely not Polish.

It's a play on the widespread lack of knowledge and ignorant mentality expressed by many American people when they refer to foreigners in a derogatory manner. It's not really a mistake as such, it's more a display of ignorance and generalization - the word 'Pollack' began as an offensive word for Polish people, but then it just came to mean any Eastern European, not just Poles.

You being American surely would have seen through this ?

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Following that, it's kind of funny how even the Lost, who barely got a good eye on who Niko was when he was chasing after Jason Michaels, got information across that he was Serbian.
Not that they've done anything with this information, but still, compared to the great amount of characters who hanged around with Niko, the Lost seems to have a sudden magic eye for deducting the nationality of the local hitman they've barely made eye contact with.

jkim_1
  • jkim_1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

It's a play on the widespread lack of knowledge and ignorant mentality expressed by many American people when they refer to foreigners in a derogatory manner. It's not really a mistake as such, it's more a display of ignorance and generalization - the word 'Pollack' began as an offensive word for Polish people, but then it just came to mean any Eastern European, not just Poles.

Of course. My ethnic background is South Korean but I was born and raised in the U.S., yet some people think they are being funny by calling be a chink sometimes. Nevertheless, I still found it mildly humorous when Niko was constantly called a pollock, I saw it kind of as a running gag in the game.
  • Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Of course. My ethnic background is South Korean but I was born and raised in the U.S., yet some people think they are being funny by calling be a chink sometimes. Nevertheless, I still found it mildly humorous when Niko was constantly called a pollock, I saw it kind of as a running gag in the game.

Yeah it was kinda funny to see a play on the lack of knowledge and dumb ignorance of certain American mentalities expressed in IV. Because it really is like that in the States, as you yourself have just demonstrated. 

jkim_1
  • jkim_1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Definitely. I was once hanging out with a Canadian chick who was in the States for a few years at this point, and some kid goes up to me saying "hey what country are you from?", she couldn't stop laughing thinking how ridiculous his question was.... But it was nothing new to me because so many of us Americans make dumb generalizations.

Rockstar did do a good job representing different races and backgrounds in GTAIV, aside from Niko not being able to speak Serbian properly due to Hollick. In the beginning, you got Albanians messing with Roman for not paying his debt. You have communist North Koreans like that Kim guy who was trying to smuggle counterfeit funds into the country. Obviously Italians are going to be represented well. Only if Canadians were represented better, I believe there are a good amount of transplants from Toronto who move to New York if I'm not mistaking?

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Serbia and Montenegro are two countries since 2006.

That's what I meant. Perhaps I should have wrote it "Serbia, and Montenegro" to be clear.

MyDog
  • MyDog

Niko Bellic's my burazer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

The fact that Roman says "better than my Serbian" is enough to prove he is Serbian. A Croat would never say he speaks Serbian, but Croatian.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users