So what is the nationality of Niko?

73 replies to this topic
Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

In the gta wiki pages it says that he is: "Serbian''. However this is 100% false. A Serbian contact of mine, confirmed this. He said that it sounded more like russian or so. He could understand a few words tho. When Niko runs from the police at times he say: "lepo zemlja'', which means:"what a nice land''.

Is it ever said what his real nationality is?

astonmustang
  • astonmustang

Player Hater

• Members
  • Switzerland

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

It is never really said what Niko's nationality is. But he is probably from the Balkans.

• Mar.K and Official General like this

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:51 PM Edited by The Gardener, 16 May 2014 - 06:10 PM.

Serbian.

He is definitely Serbian. The only reason one might disagree with this is because how poorly the Serbian language is portrayed in the game. Some words are pronounced and spelt wrong, while others aren’t even Serbian. But 80% of the European language Niko uses is definitely Serbian.

And what do you mean by a Serbian contact of yours? Since 2008 when game was released, many people have investigated Nikos country of origin. Many of them Eastern European gamers. He is 100% Serbian.

If you look closely at his background, that also very strongly suggests he is Serbian. 

• HaythamKenway, TheKillerDonuts and theRema like this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:08 PM Edited by Wolfhuman, 16 May 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Serbian.

He is definitely Serbian. The only reason one might disagree with this is because how poorly the Serbian language is portrayed in the game. Some words are pronounced and spelt wrong, while others aren’t even Serbian. But 80% of the European language Niko uses is definitely Serbian.

And what do you mean by a Serbian contact of yours? Since 2008 when game was released, many people have investigated Nikos country of origin. Many of them Eastern European gamers. He is 100% Serbian.

If you look closely at his background, that also very strongly suggests he is Serbian. 

He maybe be in game portrayed a Serbian by Rockstar. But he actually doesn't seem to be one. My contact (friend), could barely understand what he was saying. Only a few words. The language what he speaks is definitely not all Serbian. I am unaware of the research tho.

Let me say it like this, if it says in Rockstar's script that he is an Serbian. Then he is very poorly portrayed as one. So poorly that you would doubt that he is one.

astonmustang
  • astonmustang

Player Hater

• Members
  • Switzerland

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Of course there are signs which make you think he's Serbian, but also some other signs against that.

However it is never proven in any GTA game or by Rockstar which nationality he is.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:56 AM

Their intention of him was to be Serbian.

The pronunciation, grammar, and subtitle mistakes are, well... just mistakes.

I think it was best to have a voice actor whose first language was English. Probably better than listening to a Serbian immigrant stumble through the 95% of Niko's dialogue that is English.

• Wolfhuman and TheKillerDonuts like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Haiti

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:15 AM Edited by gtaxpert, 17 May 2014 - 06:18 AM.

Everybody who pays attention to the dialogue knows Niko is Serbian. When he walks into a gunstore in a Dimitri mission to get a gun he explicitly denies being Russian. Vlad calls Roman a 'fat Serf'. What more evidence do you need?

@0:05

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

Everybody who pays attention to the dialogue knows Niko is Serbian. When he walks into a gunstore in a Dimitri mission to get a gun he explicitly denies being Russian. Vlad calls Roman a 'fat Serf'. What more evidence do you need?

Doesn't prove much. A: "Serf'', means slave.

• CartmanKusanagi likes this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

In the first mission, Roman says "Your English is good. Better than my Serbian."

• Eutyphro likes this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

In the first mission, Roman says "Your English is good. Better than my Serbian."

Ah yes, i remember this. Well, then they are serbians when in reality they technically aren't. Or Roman was too drunk lol.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

He is definitely from Serbia. There's tons of references to the Serbian language and Yugoslav Wars, which is a major part of the backstory.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

He's totally Serbian. I can't think of any other eastern european countries that had big wars in the early 1990s with child soldiers.

• LancerG2 likes this

GameHacker666
  • GameHacker666

Player Hater

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:35 AM Edited by GameHacker666, 18 May 2014 - 09:45 AM.

Niko Bellic is Serbian, but a very poorly portrayed one. I'm from Slovenia (ex-Yugoslavia) so I slightly know the language and while I admit it's very poorly spoken it is pointed out many times that he's from the Balkans. Right at the start Roman says that Niko's English is better than his Serbian.

I had some troubles with recognizing the language, because it is usually mispronounced. Some phrases that I managed to catch are (there are more but it would be too long):

"Ti si dobar u ovoj igri?" (Are you good at this game?);

"Uvijek isto nikad drugačije" (Always the same, never changes.);

"Ovdje sam zbog tebe drkadžijo. Otvori!" (I'm here because of you, w*****. Open!)

His first name is more Croatian than Serbian and surname Bellic wouldn't exist in the Balkans, because they don't have double letters (the way characters are pronouncing it in the game makes it sound more like a Russian last name - Bellik, but instead the name should be pronounced like Bellich with ć).

There are many errors, but I still think Niko is meant to be at least from the Balkans, if not exactly Serbia. No way he is Russian.

• Wolfhuman, TheKillerDonuts and Who-Penny like this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

Niko Bellic is Serbian, but a very poorly portrayed one. I'm from Slovenia (ex-Yugoslavia) so I slightly know the language and while I admit it's very poorly spoken it is pointed out many times that he's from the Balkans. Right at the start Roman says that Niko's English is better than his Serbian.

I had some troubles with recognizing the language, because it is usually mispronounced. Some phrases that I managed to catch are (there are more but it would be too long):

"Ti si dobar u ovoj igri?" (Are you good at this game?);

"Uvijek isto nikad drugačije" (Always the same, never changes.);

"Ovdje sam zbog tebe drkadžijo. Otvori!" (I'm here because of you, w*****. Open!)

His first name is more Croatian than Serbian and surname Bellic wouldn't exist in the Balkans, because they don't have double letters (the way characters are pronouncing it in the game makes it sound more like a Russian last name - Bellik, but instead the name should be pronounced like Bellich with ć).

There are many errors, but I still think Niko is meant to be at least from the Balkans, if not exactly Serbia. No way he is Russian.

I think that i can agree with this.Thanks. It's very poorly portrayed, too much errors for a playable character. When playing as Niko, it feels like he has no nationality or something, feels a bit strange.

Phil Collin
  • Phil Collin

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Niko "Serbian name" and the "C" in the end of the last name cant get more Serbian then that.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

Niko was born in Yugoslavia, so that's his nationality. If we're talking about ethnic group he belongs to I would say he's a croatian. 

-Niko is croatian name although other names are mixed up (Darko is clearly Serbian and Florian is croatian for example).

-"There were fifteen of us. All boys from the village" would indicate guerilla warfare. During Yugoslavian wars government was using regular army of Yugoslavia while the "separatists" were mostly fighting with things they could. (Civilians and police were protecting Sarajevo during Yugoslavian army attacks in 1992). 

-It happened twelve or thirteen years ago accordingly to Florian, which would set action in 1995 - 1996 making Niko seventeen or eighteen at best. Look at second point. 

-Niko piloted helicopter, which would be quite strange for 17 years old to pilot helicopter in regular army. 

-Roman is getting married with catholic woman (Puerto Rican) in catholic church. Croatians are catholics. 

-Niko was smuggling people across the adriatic after the war. It would be far easier to do it from Croatia since Serbia doesn't have access to the sea. 

Niko is definitely from Yugoslavia, but R* didn't pay much attention to making the exact part clear although as you can see many points are indicating Niko being croatian. 

• Wolfhuman, Silent and RyanBurnsRed like this

PG.
  • PG.

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

He's Serbian.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Niko is Serbian. But at the time of his birth he would of been born in the country called Yugoslavia.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:10 PM Edited by Jimbatron, 18 May 2014 - 06:39 PM.

This.

It is implied that more specifically he is an ethnic Serb from Bosnia - since he grew up in the middle of the war (following the break up of former Yugoslavia) and the timing fits. There's also references to friends from the same villages killing each other (Darko and Niko), pointing to the civil war. I guess real Serbians may have been unconvinced by the pronunciation, as Michael Hollick, whilst a great voice actor, isn't from there. Noticeably everyone gets the name wrong in the script, as Bellic should be pronounced with an "ich" at the end, not "ick", or "ique" as the ULPC suggests. I guess they just liked the sound of Bellick

Pavle
  • Pavle

• Zaibatsu
  • Serbia
  • Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

He is Serbian since his mother Milica sends him e-mails which usually start with "Moj dragi sine", wich means "My dear son". And the name Niko isn't really popular here in Serbia. Here it would be Nikola or something like that. And he sometimes talks to Roman in Serbian.

• Wolfhuman and theRema like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Notice how the Niko is using correct pronunciation speaking about Florian. Also why Bosnia exactly? Language that was used officially in Yugoslavia is called Serbo-croatian.

Pavle
  • Pavle

• Zaibatsu
  • Serbia
  • Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:57 PM Edited by pajkosinjoSRB, 18 May 2014 - 07:14 PM.

Notice how the Niko is using correct pronunciation speaking about Florian. Also why Bosnia exactly? Language that was used officially in Yugoslavia is called Serbo-croatian.

The official language was Serbo-croatian. But every country that was in Yugoslavia had it's own language.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

Bosnia is a strong potential candidate since the civil war comprises of Serbs, Croatians and Muslims. We know Niko and Roman speak Serbian - but are most likely from one of the former Yugoslavia nations with a highly mixed ethnicity, given what description Niko gives of the conflict.

However just thinking about the timings, Kosovo may be more likely. The timing of that was 1998-1999, which would put Niko at about the right age for a very young soldier (18-19 as I believe he is 28 when the game begins in 2008. He would have been very young to fight in the other wars that ran from 1992-1995, although not impossible). There was also substantial NATO bombing in this war which fits with a few references in the game.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Not sure how it helps in the context of eastern European history, but Niko's LoveMeet page says he's thirty. The wiki also says that's his age in 2008.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Niko "Serbian name" and the "C" in the end of the last name cant get more Serbian then that.

It's not really Serbian. NIko is not so much used, it would be: "Nikola'' or something else. ''Ic'', is not only used in Serbia. And: "niko'', mean: no one, in Serbian. Who would call his son that?

He is Serbian since his mother Milica sends him e-mails which usually start with "Moj dragi sine", wich means "My dear son". And the name Niko isn't really popular here in Serbia. Here it would be Nikola or something like that. And he sometimes talks to Roman in Serbian.

That's right, ''sometimes'' lol.

xxkellerman
  • xxkellerman

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Abkhazia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

I think he is russian

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Haiti

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I think he is russian

Very convincing argumentation. Thanks for your contribution.

• Mr. Jago, TheKillerDonuts, Bozzah and 1 other like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

I think he is russian

Niko specifically stated in the game he wasn't Russian.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Haiti

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

Ah yes, i remember this. Well, then they are serbians when in reality they technically aren't. Or Roman was too drunk lol.

I also think the fact that Vlad calls them 'serfs'.. The joke is that they are Serbs... If they aren't Serbs then calling them serfs makes no sense.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

I also think the fact that Vlad calls them 'serfs'.. The joke is that they are Serbs... If they aren't Serbs then calling them serfs makes no sense.

It does, Vlad saw Roman as a slave, he would threat him like a slave too. ''Fat slave'', makes more sense to me than: "fat serb''.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users