Who else thought special abilities were just a terrible part of the ga

52 replies to this topic
..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

Well, GTA V itself is probably the easiest and most child-dedicated GTA yet. Just, only thinking about auto health regeneration... *shrugs*.

• kvic, Immigration, fac316 and 1 other like this

Mr.Wr0ng
  • Mr.Wr0ng

Book-Burner

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Trevor's ability is a godsend, but I wonder at what point they decided to make it turn you invincible instead of only taking half damage, as was advertised before the game came out?   

Maybe they discovered their police AI in action.

• Bonnano, THE_TREVALEV and Trevorphilipjfry like this

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:34 AM Edited by tikhung01, 16 May 2014 - 04:34 AM.

Well, GTA V itself is probably the easiest and most child-dedicated GTA yet. Just, only thinking about auto health regeneration... *shrugs*.

It feels different from GTA, doesn't it? 

HoleInTheSky
  • HoleInTheSky

Dullard

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

I don't think they were terrible, being completely optional. I do consider them useless, due to the game's ease.

• Luddite and fac316 like this

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

I used F's ability once in a street race, but the races are so gosh darn easy it;s kinda overkill.Never used T or M's ability, like most here the missions are dumb easy (yet the cops are like most say.....robocop)

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, it didnt really feel like a GTA to be honest.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, it didnt really feel like a GTA to be honest.

Did IV feel like GTA when we first played it? I get what R* is trying to do and not have every gta feel like a carbon copy of the past gta's but if aint broke, dont fix it.

CalgaryJay
  • CalgaryJay

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

You're right, I never use them unless I jump off a mountain with Trevor.

Wow, how has this never occurred to me before?? 

Personally I'm fine with them. If you don't use them a ton, they wear off pretty fast anyway. Considering how hard/persistent they made the cops, and how almost over the top easy it is for you to get a star (especially in the city), I'm fine with special abilities. Ya they are a little cheap, but frankly so are the cops, so it evens out.

If you wanna talk about areas in the game that made it too easy, I'd focus more on aiming. The auto lock is so idiot proof its borderline insulting and makes the game too easy, this really needs to be improved...and yes I know you can set it to Free Aim. But the way the Robocops surround and flank you, it's not really a viable option. A happy medium between the 2 needs to be found.

• Luddite likes this

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Trevor's ability is a godsend, but I wonder at what point they decided to make it turn you invincible instead of only taking half damage, as was advertised before the game came out?

Maybe they discovered their police AI in action.

Must have been XD , and in their latest patch they reverted them to their original state, so the police are even more accurate.

Honestly if it wasn't for his beserk mode,you wouldn't even be able to have a police shootout in the open.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Apparently the OP is unaware it's always existed in GTAs. Hello adrenaline pills. It's just been slightly enhanced is all.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Well then don't use them, I think it's that simple. They're useful against the overaggressive cops imo, though I'd like appreciate it if they'd just double your health.

• Bonnano likes this

MichaelPayneV
  • MichaelPayneV

Almost Gamer

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

Trevor's special ability is the most unrealisitc thing in GTA V and the whole GTA Series.

So you're telling me Franklin's and Michael's special abilities are more realistic? 

Yes, is Called "Adrenaline" which makes your Brain work Faster, make you think faster, which give the sensation of Slow Motion, and gives you Precision, so they are realistic!

• lol232 and ten-a-penny like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:54 AM Edited by Xerukal, 17 May 2014 - 06:56 AM.

Trevor's special ability is the most unrealisitc thing in GTA V and the whole GTA Series.

Absolute bollocks. 

Have we forgotten about the jetpack? And the apparent demand for one to return in GTA V? 

The special abilities really aren't that bad when you put things into perspective, lol. You can explain Michael's and Franklin's as pure concentration/adrenaline. Trevor, on the other hand, might as well be so jacked up on meth and all kinds of other sh*t that he simply does not feel pain, and is granted a temporary illusion of invincibility.

I can understand saying they're unrealistic. But I wasn't expecting them to be hammered THIS badly by people. For f*cks sakes, guys. There's worse things out there in terms of realism. 

• ten-a-penny and Bonnano like this

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

When people are high, especially on hard drugs, they are insanely difficult to stop/subdue. Amped up = feel nothing.
  • Bonnano likes this

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

First Person Shooter Aficionado

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

I think they were just a gimmick, I hardly ever use them, they obviously put it in just so the game would seem like a "bold new direction" for the GTA series.

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:21 PM Edited by Bonnano, 17 May 2014 - 04:21 PM.

And Johnny hardly getting knocked off a bike in a crash was realistic? (NOTE: I liked this feature)

They are for the best. This is literally the worst thing to bitch about.

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

First Person Shooter Aficionado

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:59 PM Edited by Rerxelend, 17 May 2014 - 05:01 PM.

Johnny less likely to be knocked off a bike was still more of a passive, ingrained gameplay element. You never had anything telling you about it, it was just a nice little touch that helped sync the character to the actual gameplay world. Whereas this special ability stuff feels a little forced and in your face, not forced as in they make you use it but you know what I mean. I think it would've been better if instead of the special abilities, Michael had a slight permanent shooting boost irregardless of shooting skill stat, Franklin had a permanent driving boost irregardless of the driving stat and if Trevor had a permanent damage and health boost irregardless of strength stat. That doesn't mean that the statd wouldn't have an effect, they still would, but for example if all characters had their driving skill maxed then Franklin would still be better to use for driving.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Trevor's special ability is the most unrealisitc thing in GTA V and the whole GTA Series.

Absolute bollocks. 

Have we forgotten about the jetpack? And the apparent demand for one to return in GTA V? 

The special abilities really aren't that bad when you put things into perspective, lol. You can explain Michael's and Franklin's as pure concentration/adrenaline. Trevor, on the other hand, might as well be so jacked up on meth and all kinds of other sh*t that he simply does not feel pain, and is granted a temporary illusion of invincibility.

I can understand saying they're unrealistic. But I wasn't expecting them to be hammered THIS badly by people. For f*cks sakes, guys. There's worse things out there in terms of realism. 

I can smell the scent characteristic of a fanboy on you, by the way jetpacks do exist.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:42 PM Edited by Xerukal, 17 May 2014 - 10:44 PM.

I can smell the scent characteristic of a fanboy on you, by the way jetpacks do exist.

1. I doubt it. Seeing as I've beaten the game only once since launch. Then proceeded to cut it up into tiny pieces and flush it down the toilet with my 360. This is because I'm waiting to experience the PC version before I fully decide to ascend to ultimate white knight mode. Which is bound to happen some day. 

Meanwhile, I subject myself to people spouting sh*t at the game in the most ungrateful manners possible. Genuine criticism seems to be rare nowadays. 

2. I never said they didn't. They don't exist in the exaggerated efficiency that was portrayed in San Andreas. Ten years ago, mind you. And the game takes place in the 90s, if I'm not mistaken. 

The same could be said for the special abilities. The efficiency of adrenaline (F), focus (M) and ­drug use (T) is exaggerated to make the video game more fun to play. This why video games exist. Suspension of disbelief-wise, the special abilities aren't even that big of an immersion breaker. Because they are reasonable within the world they are presented in. And, for the most part, 100% optional.

• ten-a-penny likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

So you bring up health regeneration (That only goes to half health!), but not the amazing aim of the cops, and massive damage the cops/bullets in general do, the cops' ramming abilities, etc.?

GTA IV was far easier. You could take bullets like a sponge if it wasn't from a shotgun.

• Bonnano likes this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:33 PM

There is also the fact vehicles explode easily, hostile animals can kill you in one hit, water ins't a safe place for parachuteless landings, AI can throw explosives and other artifacts such as Tear gas, they can also use weapons incorporated into vehicles to kill you and they're dead accurate, there is a false sense of low speed so out of nowhere when you crash a car you will be sent flying, the most minimal touch to anything while skydiving and you're dead, etc,etc...

• ten-a-penny and Bonnano like this

Invader_swift
  • Invader_swift

BLACK LIVES MATTER

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

Trevor's special ability is the most unrealisitc thing in GTA V and the whole GTA Series.

cause the GTA series have always been realistic 

• lol232 and ten-a-penny like this

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

After 5 years on the East Coast, it's time to go home...

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

I like it. It's a nice addition.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users