Who else thought special abilities were just a terrible part of the ga

52 replies to this topic
budfox26
  • budfox26

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

I thought we were meant to be playing as normal people trying to 'make it' in Los Santos. If I want to play a superhero game I'll go and buy Batman Arkham Asylum.

Leave it in V, don't bring it into VI. It has no place in Grand Theft Auto.

• gunziness, Officer620, Tikhung and 4 others like this

Mr Pickles
  • Mr Pickles

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:54 PM Edited by ViceCityStalker, 15 May 2014 - 12:55 PM.

They didn`t bother me that much but they`re way too overpowered.I do think your right though,they did seem out of place in a GTA game. I think they should of been there but only available as a side mission like slom mo in some special type of race and rage in certain rampages and bullet time for some kind of killing spree side mission.

Epic.
  • Epic.

I'm a Manic with a Gun.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

I forgot them for the majority of the game except for Franklin's.

• fac316 and DrunkenMunkey78 like this

Giles Flaggot 1
  • Giles Flaggot 1

Giles Flaggot 1

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

You're right, I never use them unless I jump off a mountain with Trevor.

They were put in there to add a sense of 'strength' for each character, or create a feeling of a slight super power from Trevor as he's been in fights and can absorb more pain, Franklin is the car enthusiast so his slow-mo car antics are from racing and Mike has that slow-mo whilst armed from gun battles.

I think R* may implement the special abilities in IV though - it's cool having them as part of your character with an option to use, but not a necessity.

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

I don't think the idea was to be supernatural, but it was to give each player a speciality.
Now Franklins speciality is driving, but rock star cannot train you to be a better driver only while playing with Franklin, so they had to give you some way to improve that skill while playing as that character only.
  • GTA564, ten-a-penny and watchclock like this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

I didn't think they were that bad although I would've liked if they could be improved. Remember the "levels" of dead eye in RDR?
  • Chips237 and DrunkenMunkey78 like this

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

I thought they were quite fun, and especially useful against the robocops of LS
  • G.S.T, SuburbansWorst, ten-a-penny and 1 other like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

It's Cool. Nothing to bitch about it, seriously.
Though I do wish, they should have scrapped Yoga. It's hard to believe that I am doing Yoga in a GTA game. This sh*t is totally embarrassing.
  • SuburbansWorst, PineboxFiller and Luther_Vandross like this

FromBrnoCity
  • FromBrnoCity

Don't call me guy, I have no peenus.I have nice new tits btw

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:39 PM Edited by FromBrnoCity, 15 May 2014 - 01:39 PM.

I don't think the special ability are almost useless, they are cool.

I'm not using 'em so often but when as Trev mostly, or Frank's slow-mo sometimes.. and Mikey's.. I don't use.

• ten-a-penny and Mr Pickles like this

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Special abilities are useless when you can die easier in this game due to low health and insane hax AI Cops that has aimbot.
Special abilities are useless when you can die easier in this game due to low health and insane hax AI Cops that has aimbot.
  • Mr Pickles likes this

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:11 PM Edited by BlackNoise, 15 May 2014 - 02:12 PM.

I thought we were meant to be playing as normal people trying to 'make it' in Los Santos. If I want to play a superhero game I'll go and buy Batman Arkham Asylum.

Leave it in V, don't bring it into VI. It has no place in Grand Theft Auto.

There's your problem.   :monocle:

I get what you're saying, but special abilities never really bother me, because it just gives you the option to play how you want. 

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

I had bad feelings about this since it is not so Gta ish. But it turned out pretty good. Now you can take certain turns in a car like never before. And some of the special abilities aren't that nonsense if you think about it. Some people obviously do have special skills.

Mr Pickles
  • Mr Pickles

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

I don't think the idea was to be supernatural, but it was to give each player a speciality.
Now Franklins speciality is driving, but rock star cannot train you to be a better driver only while playing with Franklin, so they had to give you some way to improve that skill while playing as that character only.

Yeah but driving is already so easy Franklins ability for me atleast was like putting on the rails mechanics on top of training wheel mechanics.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

The special abilities were rubbish and I agree, they weren't needed. I wonder what dumb bloke at the studios thought special abilities would be a good idea. :sigh:
  • theNGclan, ric4rd094 and Luther_Vandross like this

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

I wouldn't say they're bad, but I forgot about them most of the time. There are a few missions that require the use of special abilities in order to get 100%, but other than that I can't think of any instances where they're required.

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Spot on

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

Trevor's special ability is the most unrealisitc thing in GTA V and the whole GTA Series.

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Trevor's special ability is the most unrealisitc thing in GTA V and the whole GTA Series.

So you're telling me Franklin's and Michael's special abilities are more realistic? 

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Yeeep.

I was not too happy when I found out about them. It's somewhat comforting knowing you don't have to use them but it still sucks having them be a part of the game. I imagine they will do it again for future installments now.

Phillyboy
  • Phillyboy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Not played it yet but those flying abilities i think might be stupid because i'm a pilot in real life, why would i want to become more disabled?  Though i've not played it so i don't know how they actually mean this.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

Um, batman doesn't have superpowers. Unless money counts.

Anyways, rockstar always tries new things with the series.  Besides which, you never HAVE to use them. They're just there if you need them.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Money is the greatest super power in this world.

/too deep
  • B Dawg, Spaghetti Cat, Cutter De Blanc and 3 others like this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Money is the greatest super power in this world.

/too deep

True dat.

• MichaelPayneV likes this

fangbutt
  • fangbutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

It's no more unrealistic than getting shot as the other two characters, with bullet holes all over and surviving.

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Yeah but driving is already so easy Franklins ability for me atleast was like putting on the rails mechanics on top of training wheel mechanics.
I'm not saying driving in this game is hard, but according to the story line,Franklin is the skilled driver. To fit the story they needed to give him something that set him apart from the other 2 when driving.
Personally I very rarely used anyone's ability. I could of done without it.
I forget about it most the time.

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

So you're telling me Franklin's and Michael's special abilities are more realistic? 

Michael has super-shooting skills, but he does take damage, and IRL if you take drugs, it's not really unrealistic.

Same as Franklin, while driving with special abillity on, the car could crash and Franklin could still die.

While with Trevor's abillity, You LITERALLY take no damage. A helicopter crashes on Trevor? Nothing but the physics animation.

That's retarded.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

copy of a copy of a copy

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

They are cool, its a new feature to a Grand Theft Auto game, and I life them. It makes each protagonist feel more alive to what they are good at. 

• ten-a-penny and MichaelPayneV like this

lol232
  • lol232

Even though you're fed up, you gotta keep your head up'.

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

It's Cool. Nothing to bitch about it, seriously.
Though I do wish, they should have scrapped Yoga. It's hard to believe that I am doing Yoga in a GTA game. This sh*t is totally embarrassing.

There was all kind of useless sh*t in GTA before and now you're bragging about it when GTA V came out? Slowpoke.

sparky66
  • sparky66

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

To be honest I tried them all once then completely forgot about them and never used them again. I just didn't really enjoy them and they kind of ruined the immersion for me. I can see what they were trying to do, giving each character a speciality to fit the skills, but they just seemed unnecessary.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Trevor's ability is a godsend, but I wonder at what point they decided to make it turn you invincible instead of only taking half damage, as was advertised before the game came out?   

• ten-a-penny, Bonnano, Tikhung and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users