Quantcast

» «
Photo

Rockstar working on a Next-Gen Game (Apr. 2014 - Mar. 2015)

290 replies to this topic
Blaziken
  • Blaziken

Player Hater

• New Members
  • European-Union

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:46 AM Edited by Blaziken, 07 June 2014 - 12:46 AM.

I´m still convinced it´ll be a new Red Dead.

There´s just too much evidence heading to that direction, It can´t be all coincidence, it just can´t be.

This article sums it up pretty well;

´´ There's a lot of speculation as to what, if anything, Rockstar will be unveiling at E3 this year. The company traditionally eschews the conference in favor of its own marketing, since they are basically the C.M. Punk of video game companies (i.e. Best in the World). it is bigger than E3 and Rockstar knows it, but that doesn't mean Rockstar won't let some other company do the honor of announcing the first next-gen Rockstar game. The two front-runners are a next-gen port of the phenomenal GTA V or, even better, a Red Dead Redemption 2 release. And the Red Dead Redemption 2 E3 rumor fire got stoked again last week, when Take Two CEO Strauss Zelnick spoke during the Cowen and Company analyst conference and referred to the series as a "permanent franchise."

"We've launched one new successful franchise every year and I would like to keep doing that particularly because I talk about permanent franchises, but not everything is going to be a permanent franchise. Some of our great franchises eventually will lose their luster and some will hopefully be permanent," he said. "I pretty much know the ones that I can assure you are permanent. It's obvious that GTA is a permanent franchise as long as we keep delivering this incredible quality; it seems quite obvious that Red Dead is a permanent franchise."

Zelnick's latest comments come on the heels of statements he made about Rockstar's next-gen ambitions in early May. Zelnick said during a post-earnings financial call that he is "very excited about what [Rockstar Games] have in store for next-gen systems." He also indicated that Rockstar would have a next-gen release by the end of the current fiscal year which, for Rockstar, means by March 2015.

So is it next-gen GTA V or Red Dead Redemption 2? While a GTA V port seems obvious given the game's enormous success, I think there's a strong case to be made for Red Dead Redemption 2. For starters, a next-gen GTA V might not be the sales slam dunk fans assume, primarily because so many gamers already own a copy for last gen systems. Is it really worth $59.99 for a shinier port of a game most of us played the sh*t out of last year? It would've been a smart launch title for Rockstar, but as gamers get more next-gen exclusive options the prospect of a last-gen port becomes less attractive.

Also, I think a Red Dead Redemption 2 release would set the kind of tone Rockstar wants for its first next-gen game. A port just doesn't have the same mystique and WOW factor that a new game would deliver. A next-gen open world western game? That has the potential to be a jaw dropper, and has the distinction of being unlike anything else on the market or in production.

Plus, it seems like Red Dead Redemption's studio, Rockstar San Diego, is beefing up for something huge. The studio is in the midst of a hiring bonanza, with a total of 33 positions being advertised on the company website. Among the positions is an opening for an Environment Terrain Artist, a position Rockstar San Diego wants "to create next-generation worlds for upcoming projects." Much like CEO Zelnick's comments, the description is vague. But given the history of the studio, as well as the critical and commercial success of Red Dead Redemption itself, it seems logical that Rockstar San Diego is gearing up its staff as it finalizes the development of Red Dead Redemption 2.

If there is one silver lining amidst all these rumor clouds, It's that we'll know by the end of next week what Rockstar has in store for E3 and the rest of 2014. My fingers are crossed for RDR2, but I'll take a GTA V port, too. Just so long as it's not another Duke Nukem game I think everyone will be happy. ´´

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:01 AM

This is how I see it

GTA V PC/Next gen release 2014

Agent 2015

RDR "3" 2016

GTA VI 2017 or 2018

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

We don't know for sure if this is what the original tweet was referring to, but I'd say it's a pretty high likelihood. No one should be surprised by this.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:05 AM

I am disappointed, I wanted it to be something new.

Johan
  • Johan

Keep it 8 more than 92, 100.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

This is Fall of this year, I'm pretty sure if they announced a new game this year it wouldn't have been releasing this year anyway.

2015 was the earliest anyone would have expected a new R* title, and it still is.

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Rockstar

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:08 AM

I'd prefer something new too but damn it looks sexy! :panic:

dannyz
  • dannyz

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

Me to, I want a new game to get excited about not one I have already played. Hopefully we hear something soon about a new game from Rockstar.

VanillaIce
  • VanillaIce

Cole Phelps FanBoy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

so the Exact Game  i Already have just with some Improvements  ? FFS R* I love you but you have Pissed Me Off.

Mv6
  • Mv6

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:50 AM

Don't worry, its not GTA V.... 

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:55 AM

Did you guy honestly expect something new seeing that GTA V was release on last gen console? 

Smart move by Rockstar. 

.JokeR
  • .JokeR

Madness is the emergency exit.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:07 AM

So you guys think Rockstar plan on releasing a paid DLC for GTA V from here to the fall to justify paying $60 again for GTA V on nextgen/PC?

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

So now with GTA V next-gen confirmed for September or October, A November/December reveal of a new game could be right around the corner ?

Mv6
  • Mv6

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

That might be the case.. pretty sure the new game will get released next year

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

So let me get this straight.

R* had originally made V with higher details as seen in the pre-release trailers. They lower the quality and cut features to sell it incomplete bundled even without online (which when released was in a pre beta stage) and made a heap ton of cash. Now they're going to restore the initial quality and re-release it for PS3.5 and Xbone and are even 'privileging' us of carrying over our characters to insure players will rebuy the same game making 2x the money on basically the same exact audience. 

Shouldn't R* have been paying us to beta-test their shoddy online?

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

Johanna Marston

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:40 AM Edited by <Yang3, 10 June 2014 - 10:42 AM.

The PS4 gameplay look a lot like the Screenshots which had been shown to us.

I hope they won't show PS5 screenshots or Bullshots, this time.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

We are coven

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

The original screens were probably from a pre-alpha PC version or more powerful developer system. That's basically what they did with IV.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

R* had originally made V with higher details as seen in the pre-release trailers. They lower the quality and cut features to sell it incomplete bundled even without online (which when released was in a pre beta stage) and made a heap ton of cash. Now they're going to restore the initial quality and re-release it for PS3.5 and Xbone and are even 'privileging' us of carrying over our characters to insure players will rebuy the same game making 2x the money on basically the same exact audience. 

They gave you a super-detailed game with a bunch of amazing characters, vast and beautiful world, along with the biggest variety of missions you can get in an open-world game. Now they give you a very solid remaster, and even an option to bring your old GTA: Online character, so you won't have to start over from nothing.

STOP CRYING.

• sivispacem likes this

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Nope. Rockstar don't owe you squat. With regards to GTA V, it was cynical exercise in marketing, although I assume it was because they already had the scripting and the production ready for a current gen console and so wanted to get a game out when they said they would. 

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

The trailer looks AMAZING! :O

Defo getting a PS4 for this.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

i'm not gonna waste money on next gen gta 5 unless they add some more cities to gta online and fix character customization, i'd rathe buy a new game with the money.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:45 PM Edited by GrandMaster Smith, 10 June 2014 - 05:54 PM.

They gave you a super-detailed game with a bunch of amazing characters, vast and beautiful world, along with the biggest variety of missions you can get in an open-world game. Now they give you a very solid remaster, and even an option to bring your old GTA: Online character, so you won't have to start over from nothing.

STOP CRYING.

Don't get me wrong V was very well done but even as many others have said it had an incomplete feeling to it. Being such a large game there were too many corners they needed to fine tune and it feels they simply didn't give them enough time to properly finish it, and now it's apparent why they released it early- they knew they could make 2x the money releasing it earlier than it should've on the old generation by reselling it as a 'remastered' version a year later. 

Singleplayer overall felt it was polished well enough, GTAO on the other hand was an absolute mess. Everything from the launch being completely unplayable to the constant freezing every two minutes of playing which was finally only fixed a couple weeks ago..

I suppose it's smart marketing on R*'s part, I just feel like that's a low blow from them. Similar to creating tons of content then cutting it from the final version only to later release it as their 'ever-evolving content of FREE DLC'.. lol that's just f*ckin cheap. Or selling cash cards that make virtual cars equivalent in value to something like $20.. literally making 1 car worth 1/3rd the entire game's value.

Unless they're going to have 64+ players for online and new landmass I can't really see myself dropping full price a second time for practically the same game just with more grass and newly added cats. 

edit- also I felt V's characters were the most lacking in the series so far. I couldn't stand missions that involved Ron.. His character was just stupid and flatout annoying. Same with his clown face sidekick. Or Lester.. or the FBI guy. They felt shallow and paperthin. Not to mention Franklin's voiceactor was nowhere near on par as Michael or Trevor's. I just had an itch to clear my throat when hearing Franklin talk.. not enough heart and just unconvincing imo, very amateur in comparison to the other two.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users