Photo

Mafia III

4,314 replies to this topic
lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

I loved Mafia II, never played the first one.

I'm hoping is coming 2016, because 2015 is very painful to my wallet. Sorry.

Your wallet might be painful then. I highly doubt Rockstar Games would release any major games this year since they haven't release their Heists as well as the planned DLCs. With that, I think MAFIA III is to fill the AAA gap for this year. I really hope MAFIA III sells well, hopefully close to GTA IV sales or RDR sales. 

Well, Hangar 13, who is supposedly handling the development, was created on December 4, I think that 2015 is very early.

Well they have been formed since 2014 or actually November 2013. Either way, anyone remember this ? 
http://www.eurogamer...o-v-cast-leaked

Then in November 2011, GTA V was announced although without platform or release date. 

The interesting thing is http://www.allgamesb...d-take-two.html3 years later, the same thing happened. If anything the announcement is long over due. 

I really think this is the AAA title for Take 2 this year. Last year they didn't have any true AAA title and I doubt they would do the same this year as well. I think that November 2015 or October 2015 wouldn't be too early. Since this is no GTA, I doubt they will announce this early and release it 2 years or a year later.

guiguido
  • guiguido

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

Ok, I really hope that Mafia III releases in 2015. Actually, now it's my most hyped game. Mafia II was so good.

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:27 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 08 January 2015 - 05:29 PM.

Ok, I really hope that Mafia III releases in 2015. Actually, now it's my most hyped game. Mafia II was so good.

I don't think they're rebuilding the game from scratch. They're using 2K Czech's work as a base, 3 and a half years gone? Not gonna happen 'cos time costs money. From what Rick announced, my guess would be that they're reworking the main sections of the story out but stay with the previous design/tech if not make it slightly better.

Take2 loves money. They're not gonna let any of the previous work go down the drain. I think they're gonna make it a better experience overall than redo it all over. That's one of the reasons that, I'm pretty sure, would confirm a 2015 announcement. If not 2015/early 2016 release.

• lh1 likes this

Urban Legends
  • Urban Legends

Innocent Hood

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

Shooting Mechanics were better than in GTA4 and even GTA5 if you ask me. At least on PC. Also the movement wasnt as bulky as in GTA 4 & 5.

Maybe so, but what did you think of driving? Vehicles in Mafia were pretty clunky. I tried to drive them like a GTA vehicle and it wasn't happening.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

I drive with a Keyboard which isnt nearly as good as with a controller, but I still could handle them ok. I dont want to race with them, but for the things you had to do with the cars the handling was ok.

GTA4 had better physics. A bit too floaty but still better than the arcade stuff from GTA5.

Cebra
  • Cebra

Eh.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Canada

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:32 PM Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 08 January 2015 - 07:38 PM.

Awesome.

If Rick Pasqualone is returning, we're probably seeing a continuation of Vito's story. Not that I'm complaining, he was a good character. I hope that 2K learned from last time and they include a bit more out-of-story content. I loved that they focused on creating such a great story in I and II, but a little side content wouldn't hurt.

Never played Mafia I, heard it was really good though and is kind of a classic. Well, Mafia II was okay from what I can recall. The shooting mechanics were lame, I guess, and the handling of cars wasn't that cool either...nevertheless it was a game I played for hours, and the story was aight. After GTA V I will never enjoy any car handling and get that driving feeling, but I could try at least. I might check it out, on PC. demo version. If I like what I see I might just buy the thing.

So pretty much with GTA V driving you've been babied and can't get used anything else? That's sad.  :/

been babied? I find it to be the most entertaining driving experience I have come across in a loooong time, and yes, it will be difficult for other games to get on that level. V's driving is nearly perfect and super immersive. my girlfriend cruised around for 1.5 hours, that's saying something. she doesn't like games really, but she "gets it" when she drives through los santos listening to VBR.

R* have set a new standard for me in terms of driving, no need to be sad - I'd rather thank 'em for that!

I wouldn't say the driving in Mafia II was bad, it was realistic. For a game that took place from 1945 to '51, it was a pretty good representation of that era's cars.

(Plus they had working windshield wipers and wheels that stayed in place while parked.  :lol:)

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:40 PM

Would you guys rather have a coop MP like in Saints Row where you can play the SP with a friend or something like GTA Online?

M1 and M2 havent had an MP but if you believe this voice actor search news, these 3 protagonists offer something like the Saints Row coop mode.

Though I dont want a system like in GTA5 where you can switch between the 3.

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

It's actually great to see this thread is rather active, even if the one commenting here are mostly from the same users. 

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

But while we are at shooting mechanics.

One thing I want to be changed are the pistols. I hate when you just need to hold LMB for them to shoot. They are semi auto and you should press the key for every shot seperatly. But that is a problem for many TPSs.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:50 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 08 January 2015 - 07:51 PM.

It's actually great to see this thread is rather active, even if the one commenting here are mostly from the same users. 

19u0Yx6.png
Look what this game has done to me. About 200 w/ Steam offline and online time combined.
Also finished Mafia:TCoHL 14 times.

404: Life - missing.
So yes, I am one of the 'users'. Pretty mad about Mafia games. As mad about Mafia as some are about GTA.

• Cebra likes this

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

I want to play M1 but they removed it from steam a while ago...

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

19u0Yx6.png
Look what this game has done to me. About 200 w/ Steam offline and online time combined.

So yes, I am one of the 'users'. Pretty mad about Mafia games. As mad about Mafia as some are about GTA.

Nice. Real Hardcore MAFIA fan :) Did you buy the Collector's Edition? 

I used to prefer GTA than MAFIA, but MAFIA II changed that for me, the atmosphere is something GTA will never beat.

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

Mafia II had such a strong, immersive feeling. I hope they manage to do that again with III. Perhaps there will be some throwback missions to II like how II had throwback missions to I.

• Sergiu likes this

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:20 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 08 January 2015 - 08:41 PM.

19u0Yx6.png

I used to prefer GTA than MAFIA, but MAFIA II changed that for me, the atmosphere is something GTA will never beat.

I have each and every DLC. Even Betrayal of Jimmy (can't activate it because it's region locked but I do own it).
Yes, Mafia is worth playing purely for its atmosphere, both the 1st and 2nd. The last 80 hours or so in Mafia 2 were mostly admiring the snow and effects. :p

Mafia 1, atmosphere wise, well, I love the countryside, spent countless hours there.

@ssbawesome

That's why I've suggested that they could be using the base design from 2K Czech's build of Mafia III.

• lh1 and ClaudX like this

PerfectBlade
  • PerfectBlade

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:24 PM Edited by PerfectBlade, 30 January 2015 - 02:52 AM.

Edit.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:48 PM Edited by Zello, 08 January 2015 - 10:54 PM.

Mafia II did a good job capturing the time period they did a good job recreating the 40's and 50's. I really liked seeing how Empire Bay transformed after Vito got released from prison it felt like a completely new city.

I also really liked the cutscene after Vito and Joe become Made men they finally get everything they wanted but it also goes downhill for them after that

• lh1 and Verdant like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

So what, it's gonna pick up from where II left off?

Bummer. I was hoping for a new story with new characters and the likes. Hopefully this one is more gameplay and less cinematics than what II had.

Webster.
  • Webster.

Thug

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:07 AM

tUGdL.gif

In my opinion, Mafia 2 is one of the best games on the PS3, the amount of things to do in the game is endless and the storyline is really powerful, can't wait for Mafia 3 to come out! 

• lh1 likes this

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:20 AM Edited by Stormingz, 09 January 2015 - 01:22 AM.

I remember the physics in Mafia 2 being pretty good. The one mission that springs to mind is the hotel assassination one, after the explosion you run in with Joe, ripping everything to shred with a Tommy gun was pretty fun, a lot of the environment was destructible. Also the mission where you destroy the hotrod gangs hideout (or some sh*t) you line up with everyone and just shoot the f*ck out of this building, had some pretty good memories with this game.
  • lh1, Th3MaN1 and Zello like this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:59 AM

I can't wait for next gen seasons. The glaring sun in the summer, the lush vegetation in the spring, the varying colors in fall, and the snow in winter. It's going to be so beautiful.

Nico
  • Nico

We were all equal in the end.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:27 AM

I'm in for a new Mafia game.

But when you think about how Take Two totally killed Mafia II after buying the original studio, you realize that the next game won't even have such as cool features like the beta of the second game had. When you see videos of M2 alpha, there's barber shops, subways, melee weapons and a lot of things that never made into the final release. Not to mention half of the story -a lot of major and minor objectives inside the chapters, alternative endings- was taken out of the game.

I just hope there's a new protagonist and a new story connected to the previous ones. Honestly I don't want to play as Vito again, and not because I don't like him (quite contrary, actually), but having him again as the main character would feel dull. They still have to explain if Joe survived or not.

• JRC99 likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:44 AM

I wish the original masterpiece gets a re-release on GOG !!
It's the only PC exclusive title of the series, and not a multi-platform disaster being dumbed down with features cut to handle the consoles :/
The original was also quite easy to mod with a lot of amazing fan made works @mafiascene.com offering additional improvements, and content. One must check them out :)

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:41 AM

19u0Yx6.png

I have each and every DLC. Even Betrayal of Jimmy (can't activate it because it's region locked but I do own it).
Yes, Mafia is worth playing purely for its atmosphere, both the 1st and 2nd. The last 80 hours or so in Mafia 2 were mostly admiring the snow and effects. :p

Mafia 1, atmosphere wise, well, I love the countryside, spent countless hours there.

@ssbawesome

That's why I've suggested that they could be using the base design from 2K Czech's build of Mafia III.

You know I actually didn't realize there was countryside in MAFIA. :/

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:48 AM

I liked Mafia II, but I hope Mafia III is more of an "open" world game. Even though it was possible to explore Empire Bay there was always a sense of urgency to start the next mission IMO. 

• lh1 and TheOneLibertonian like this

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:04 AM

Well, it would be cool to see a Mafia 3, i remember when i played Mafia 2 on steam  everyday a year ago, when i first got it, preety cool game, story, map, cars, everything was great. Il definetly buy Mafia 3 when it comes out. :)

Me too. I am going to spend the exact money for the Collector's Edition if it's priced around the same price as GTA V Collector's Edition. I just want this series to be as profitable as Borderlands series for 2K at least, so that there would be less Borderlands games. In fact, I wouldn't even mind if they release a new installment for The Darkness, Bioshock or develop new IPs, just give Borderlands an enough rest is all I ask for.

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:12 AM

I remember the physics in Mafia 2 being pretty good. The one mission that springs to mind is the hotel assassination one, after the explosion you run in with Joe, ripping everything to shred with a Tommy gun was pretty fun, a lot of the environment was destructible. Also the mission where you destroy the hotrod gangs hideout (or some sh*t) you line up with everyone and just shoot the f*ck out of this building, had some pretty good memories with this game.

Yes. The most destructible open-world game was actually MAFIA II. It probably still is.

IF anything I doubt 2K had forgotten MAFIA series, they're probably just waiting for the right time to either reboot it or releasing a new installment. if you have played The Darkness II, there are some references to MAFIA II. And in The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, the same MAFIA II assets are used (such as the cars).

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:41 AM Edited by El Diablo, 09 January 2015 - 04:41 AM.

I liked Mafia II, but I hope Mafia III is more of an "open" world game. Even though it was possible to explore Empire Bay there was always a sense of urgency to start the next mission IMO. 

this is basically my only concern.

I love Mafia 2 but I didn't enjoy the confinement.

in Mafia 1 you could go anywhere at any time. you could even drive way out into the countryside, so far away that you couldn't even see the city. in Mafia 2 you're basically always on a mission stuck in the city. you can do almost anything you want when there's nothing is going on but those moments are rare and the M2 map is not anywhere near as large as the M1 map.

M2 tried to fix this with the DLC.

the DLC for Mafia 2 are almost better than the base game because they actually give you an open world to explore. they even increased the size of the map to allow you to access the dam.

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:07 AM

For those wondering if this game would be set in 60s/70s or even 30s. The game is very likely to set in late 1945 since it says "returning home to Lousiana after war".

1394563880-take-two-casting.jpg

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:19 AM Edited by Zello, 09 January 2015 - 05:20 AM.

For those wondering if this game would be set in 60s/70s or even 30s. The game is very likely to set in late 1945 since it says "returning home to Lousiana after war".

It could be set in the 60's because of Vietnam not only that Frank is of mixed race and it could explore the whole civil rights movement in the 60's. I mean it says he is "An orphan in the racially segregated south" and "An outsider to both black and whtie socitey."

Either way though I really don't want it to be in the 40's really want it set in the 60s/70s

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:25 AM

I'm curious what Franklin is going to look like. I don't mean to be racist, but I hope they don't make him black. It says "Mixed Race", so it's unclear what they'll do with him, but since Franklin in GTA V is black and all, I have a strong feeling that people would draw strong parallels between him and the character in Mafia III.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users