Photo

Mafia III

4,070 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Journey_95, 4 days ago.

Uhh, guys. Fallout community? By far the most toxic. Nearly two years later and they won't stop bitching about how much Fallout 4 sucks and how there are no RPG values to it.

Mafia 3 community is barely alive, it didn't have much longevity for most people. Trust me Fallout fans are the worst.

2k forums and Mafia3 Twitter are beyond pointless right now due to constant bitching and people literally reside there just to bitch and insult the dev.

So yes, Mafia3 community is #1 worst for me. Followed by The Division, Fallout 4, Ghost Recon Wildlands (moving up fast), and Soulsborne.

There are valid reasons to bash all those games. Their communities are toxic because the games were flawed and the developers screwed up in many ways (I would add ME:A to that list, another fail).

luisniko
  • luisniko

Cyuu cyuu

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

There are valid reasons to bash all those games. Their communities are toxic because the games were flawed and the developers screwed up in many ways (I would add ME:A to that list, another fail).

You are exactly part of a problem why gaming community nowadays is filled with people who like to announce how old they are while throwing tantrum, insult, and threat everyday.

Sometimes I wonder if you and your kind have a job in real life to reflect your attitude on as a client or at least as an adult.
  • SmokesWithCigs and DimitriFaustin like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 3 days ago

k I have to say something in this game's defense.

because Mafia III is great. press play below then start reading.

I didn't get around to Mafia 3 until 2017 because there was too much other sh/t on my plate last year. so I cannot speak to the immediate launch of the game or how some of the flaws it had before any of the patches. but I got it on sale finally for 40 bucks + some free DLC and it's pretty easy to say that - as it stands today - Mafia 3 is one of the better open world games I've ever played. I hadn't really built up any expectations of the game before playing it so that maybe helped? either way it's been nothing but enjoyable and I'm only halfway through it.

85soCXK.jpg

it just does an amazing job of creating an atmosphere and making you feel like you're in that time period.

great visuals. incredible soundtrack that is utterly to die for. outstanding sound effects and attention to detail. politically incorrect, realistic dialogue. everything feels right from the passage of day/night cycle, the handling of the vehicles, and the impact of the weapons. and everything works. I have yet to encounter any kind of game- or mission-breaking bug. when I read through Steam comments or look at this thread (for instance), it seems like the main criticism levied against Mafia 3 is that the missions are repetitive. which makes sense I guess if you really break it down, but honestly this is no different than any other sandbox game.

yQR5pnp.jpg

I read the same ridiculous complaint over and over again.

people said that every mission was the same. why? because all they did was sneak through every single mission with their silenced pistol and wait around for silent takedowns. so... yeah, if you play every mission the same way then the game is going to feel very repetitive, dumbass  :pp I tend to play every mission a little differently. I'll maybe go around and pick off a few sentry guards so they don't call for backup, then I'll bust out the big guns and start a firefight. if the mission is indoors I'll try some shotguns or machine guns. if it's outdoors I'll take a rifle or start lobbing grenades and molotovs.

yY6pKO4.jpg

but not every mission is the same. not at all.

the game is great because it gives you different groups / types of missions in certain parts of the city as you slowly take it over; district by district. you don't even have to complete all the missions. once you've learned the location of the local boss you can go directly to him. sometimes you'll have to scout a location and get intel before coming back later to blow it up. other times you just interrogate some schmuck and decide his fate. other times you massacre the joint. or maybe slip in and out unseen. it's whatever you want. Mafia 3 gives you the freedom to discover multiple entrances and decide how loud or quiet you wish to approach an objective. sometimes your plan breaks down and there's a shootout when you wanted peace or a car chase ensues. or you totally fail and lose your target and a new plan has to be improvised. you don't just respawn or reboot at the last save / checkpoint. it's kind of refreshing actually. especially when it comes to taking down the 'boss' from each district. each one is unique and has their own behaviors according to their personality.

mbjLNAs.jpg

you're not alone in this fight, either.

at [almost] any time you can use your CB radio to call in some backup gangsters of your own. this includes calling in your gun-runner buddy who allows you to change your loadout, depending on how you plan your assault, and fills your ammo. or the guy who delivers your vehicles from your personal collection [almost] anywhere on the map. or the lady who shows up to collect your loose cash after a successful mission so that it goes straight into your vault. for a price, their associates can also bribe the police or help you escape from a jam when you're pinned down. everything works and the game still provides a pretty solid challenge. I play it on Hard and use Simulation driving mode (instead of the assisted mode) which makes all the difference. the gameplay is what keeps me coming back. the act of driving alone is so much fun, it feels so unique compared to all the modern racing / driving games I've played recently. vehicles are heavy. American steel. the damage models unfold so realistically. damage to the bumper is very different from damage to the body panels. shooting gas tanks doesn't automatically explode a car, but igniting the gasoline that leaks out can cause the undercarriage to erupt.

jbnXoyA.jpg

it's all very satisfying. all the little details. details that most games in this category (like GTA) totally overlook.

when you turn the wheels left and right, the vehicle rocks or sort of cambers back and forth, instead of just 'pointing.' you can always feel the weight. it takes time to stop. it takes time to get going. when you install a super charger, you can see the intake breathers opening and closing with accelerator, they're not just for show. if you look through the grill you can see the fan and timing belts spinning and turning. they speed up and slow down with the accelerator. when the vehicle is idling the exhaust pipes shake steadily and when you press on the gas the pipes rumble violently and spit backfire on the downshift or when you let off high RPM's. the super charger itself rumbles and shakes back and forth with the amount of acceleration and during idle. none of it is for show. it feels like the engine is alive and part of the vehicle instead of just part of the model. if that makes any sense. tires spin correctly with the use of the handbrake when you're flying around corners. the mud kicks up and makes the vehicle dirty over time. the rain falls heavily and washes the mud away. the streets remain wet for awhile after the storm passes as you splash through large puddles on the backroads. the neon reflects in the wet brick as you fly back through main street.

KDKm3C9.jpg

did I mention the soundtrack is amazing?

I love working my way through the criminal underbelly and taking control of the city one neighborhood at a time, deciding who lives and who dies, and who ultimately gets control over the money produced by the rackets I've acquired. they all pay me their respects and their cuts and their favors. it feels like I'm making things happening instead of merely watching scripted events unfold. I can't say enough about Mafia 3 right now. hope to have it completed in the next couple weeks.

5dZm5kH.jpg

I legitimately don't understand some of the hate this game has received.

the Mafia 3 I'm playing right now is a fantastic experience and I only wish there was more of it. I'll be keeping tabs on the new DLC for sure.

QLotXZG.jpg

Spoiler
  • Mister Pink, Claude4Catalina, trip and 10 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 3 days ago

Glad you enjoyed it man. Good review, lots of valid points.

• El Diablo and DimitriFaustin like this

Laker23
  • Laker23

Greatness From Small Beginnings

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 3 days ago

Really good to hear. I bought this for just £15 in the UK and had it shipped over, will start it once I'm done with WD2.

I have relatively low expectations because of the hate it took, but considering I love New Orleans, gritty games, and this era of music I'm hoping I'm in for a treat.

• El Diablo and Mister Pink like this

Travedge
  • Travedge

A man in motion feels no emotion

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

That does it Im buying Mafia 3. El Diablo always knows best.
  • El Diablo likes this

Vinewood Villain
  • Vinewood Villain

Red Dead III in the making

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Vinewood Villain, 2 days ago.

It's all very satisfying. all the little details. details that most games in this category (like GTA) totally overlook.
when you turn the wheels left and right, the vehicle rocks or sort of cambers back and forth, instead of just 'pointing.' you can always feel the weight. it takes time to stop. it takes time to get going. when you install a super charger, you can see the intake breathers opening and closing with accelerator, they're not just for show. if you look through the grill you can see the fan and timing belts spinning and turning. they speed up and slow down with the accelerator. when the vehicle is idling the exhaust pipes shake steadily and when you press on the gas the pipes rumble violently and spit backfire on the downshift or when you let off high RPM's. the super charger itself rumbles and shakes back and forth with the amount of acceleration and during idle. none of it is for show. it feels like the engine is alive and part of the vehicle instead of just part of the model. if that makes any sense. 

Great write up! These are the kind of posts I love reading in forum pages, insightful ones with less bitching and more appreciation. You just described in perfect detail why I like the vehicles so much in this game. They feel like actual machines. They absolutely nailed that clunky, boatlike feel of 1960's cars. Heavy metal frames, with powerful V8's beneath the hood. And let's not forget about the sound design for cars, they fine-tuned the sh*t out of it. I love when you take cover behind a car and Lincoln's heavy frame leans against the metal shell, you get that soft "thoomp" sound effect from the aluminum bending back. Such a neat detail. When you drive off-road you can hear all the gravel and dirt spitting underneath your car. I saved a bunch of these "little details" clips on my PS4.
  • El Diablo, Mister Pink and Claude4Catalina like this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted A day ago Edited by ΣΓ, A day ago.

It's not a bad game but it isn't that good either. Driving is actually quite average. V is way more responsive and fun. Combat system is kind of non existent. IV was better in that regard. Shooting is fun I guess.

GTA stories are at least funny and well written by video game standards (well, maybe except the Stories games). I felt like a lot of the dialogue in III interrupted the game too often and it didn't help that I couldn't develop any attachment towards anyone else other than the main character.

If you think they accurately depicted vehicles in this game I think you should try some racing sims for a change. Mafia III comes nowhere near sim territory. Mafia I was actually way better.
  • Tycek and Ivan1997GTA like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Cyuu cyuu

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

I read the same ridiculous complaint over and over again.
people said that every mission was the same. why? because all they did was sneak through every single mission with their silenced pistol and wait around for silent takedowns.

so... yeah, if you play every mission the same way then the game is going to feel very repetitive, dumbass

Let me just quote the important part that I've been saying all the time.

I explained the same point to someone in my local gaming forums and he hated me afterwards.

This (type of) game isn't the game for those who are looking for narrative action in mission objectives like how GTA or Saints Row do where the scenario is fixed to how the developer want you to go through your objectives.

Heck, if Harvest Moon was just released in 2016/17, I guess it will be labelled as 'repetitive' because people would wake up, pull wild grass, feed cows, milk, sell, feed chicken, sell eggs, water plants, and sleep all the time.

• El Diablo and SmokesWithCigs like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted A day ago

Driving is actually quite average. V is way more responsive and fun.

If you think they accurately depicted vehicles in this game I think you should try some racing sims for a change. Mafia III comes nowhere near sim territory.

I'm just gonna' pull rank here and say: you're wrong.

Mafia 3 is surprisingly realistic in terms of retro vehicle handling.

I agree that GTAV handling is more responsive because it's very arcadey and unrealistic. you just point and drive. physics be damned. GTAV is a terrible example of simulation handling. whether or not it's more "fun" is totally subjective. but I've been playing all kinds of racing and driving games for probably as long as you've been alive so I've seen what they have to offer and I know the differences.

I didn't say that Mafia 3 is a simulation.

I'm not comparing it to Gran Turismo or anything, I'm just comparing it to other open-world action games. I've been playing Mafia 3 on "Simulation" mode which changes the handling significantly from the standard controls. it adds much more weight and inertia and suspension and weather effects. compared to most other games in the same category (like GTA, Watch Dogs, Saints Row, etc), Mafia does a much better job of making the driving feel realistic and meaningful.

it's so much more satisfying to pull a wheel-spinning powerslide through the mud in Mafia 3 because you can feel how much control you have over the vehicle. in most GTA-type games the vehicles feel more like bricks sliding around on butter. terrain and conditions don't really seem to matter. in Mafia 3 you can actually get stuck in a low ditch, sliding backwards as your tires spin into the dirt. this will never happen in GTA...

• ClaudeSpeed1911 and Ivan1997GTA like this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted A day ago Edited by ΣΓ, A day ago.

Trust me. I would rather GTA went the realism route again (but not IV like "realism") instead of the V physics we have. But V driving is actually fun compared to MCLA, which is what people are comparing it to. Midnight Club is kinda sh*tty in comparison.

You kinda missed the point about the responsiveness of driving. I never said V was realistic (those were two different paragraphs). All good racing sims have responsive controls (e.g. Forza and probably even GT). I found Mafia 3's controls to be not as responsive as actual racing games (which, BTW, often offer you to drive 60s cars). You're not saying it's a simulation yet you think it's realistic. I beg to differ. It's more realistic than Watch Dogs (though WD is kinda sh*t anyway) but III and V approach driving from different angles. I wouldn't go as far as to say one is more realistic than the other but I prefer responsive controls in this case and this has nothing to do with arcade physics or whatever. I'm talking about input lag, which Mafia seems to have more of. I played all 3 Mafia games and I found the first one to be way more realistic.

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

Carcer City bound!

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

I quite like the driving in Mafia III, I've never driven a yank tank so I can't speak for experience, but it seems to nail down the heaviness of vehicles from that era, everything being on 14 and 15 inch radials heaving around corners, if you ask me the simulation driving mode is a happy medium between arcadey type driving and full on simulation, so I'm happy with that.

I'm also currently watching a Netflix documentary about The Irish Mob and it really does reinforce my point that Mafia III is like playing Whitey Bulger, John Gotti, Frank Sheeran or Dominick Montiglio: The Game.  Mainly through how Lincoln is spoken of in the present day cutscenes we feel as if he really did make an impact on local history, so even if the story can feel a bit over the top sometimes with the whole 'one man army' going on, it does also feel very grounded.

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted A day ago

You're not saying it's a simulation yet you think it's realistic. I beg to differ.

I'm not going to argue with you.

I didn't say it was a realistic simulation. I said it was much more of a realistic simulation than the other games in this category. I didn't say it was a perfect 1960's mechanical recreation of the laws of physics.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted A day ago

I legitimately don't understand some of the hate this game has received.

I am totally with you.

Mafia 3 has to be the first game where I gathered collectables. FIRST EVER! Twice even.

The only thing close to a complaint from me has to do with the cops not following in the footsteps of the previous Mafia games. I kinda miss the added tension of having to drive the speed limit and follow basic traffic laws.
  • Mister Pink and DimitriFaustin like this

fashion
  • fashion

No More Slots

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago Edited by fashion, A day ago.

Since we have a round of complaining again, I'll just drop my two cents here :p

A huge letdown to me was the removal of these tiny activities and interactions that we had in Mafia 2. Getting your shoes polished, eating at dinners, gas stations and so on. It already was tiny in M2 but instead of improving on it they just got rid of it entirely? Why? When you go for more open world, you need more of that and not less! Has nobody in the studio thought of that?

On another note, though it's more of a missed opportunity: While I think that Lincoln is one of the best protags we had in the recent years, they totally should have shown some glimpses of his childhood. We had something similar in M2 and that stuff immediately makes you more attached to the main character. Showing off Lincoln's childhood has so much potential, he was black, parentless in a very racist era and I bet it left a mark on him. The story starts with a great introduction here, though it kind of jumps right into showing off Lincoln, the criminal. If the intro scene was 30 minutes longer and gave us a scene where he's harrassed by some white kids and kicks their asses, only to be beaten up by a cop, that would have been awesome. We have a handful references to his past in some cutscenes and dialogue but it's hard to figure out who he was before everything.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago Edited by SmokesWithCigs, A day ago.

Since we have a round of complaining again, I'll just drop my two cents here :p

A huge letdown to me was the removal of these tiny activities and interactions that we had in Mafia 2. Getting your shoes polished, eating at dinners, gas stations and so on. It already was tiny in M2 but instead of improving on it they just got rid of it entirely? Why? When you go for more open world, you need more of that and not less! Has nobody in the studio thought of that?

On another note, though it's more of a missed opportunity: While I think that Lincoln is one of the best protags we had in the recent years, they totally should have shown some glimpses of his childhood. We had something similar in M2 and that stuff immediately makes you more attached to the main character. Showing off Lincoln's childhood has so much potential, he was black, parentless in a very racist era and I bet it left a mark on him. The story starts with a great introduction here, though it kind of jumps right into showing off Lincoln, the criminal. If the intro scene was 30 minutes longer and gave us a scene where he's harrassed by some white kids and kicks their asses, only to be beaten up by a cop, that would have been awesome. We have a handful references to his past in some cutscenes and dialogue but it's hard to figure out who he was before everything.

what else do you need in this game that was omitted from mafia 2 that we didn't need in this game? what? you wanna play with the light switches again? man c'mon. really? its not that important

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted A day ago Edited by Mister Pink, A day ago.

I get the little details but the little details is all that Mafia II had. You couldn't really do anything but walk about doing things you would normally do in real life. And yeah, I appreciate someone who wants to do that. I'm not against it. 

Would love to see Mafia IV continue adding little details (like traffic lights, refueling, light-switches working etc) and moving on in the direction it went with obviously less bugs and more polish. 

I love Mafia III but would love to see more of a empire building story from a mafioso's perspective again. Possibly in Las Vegas in 1970's or a nice recreation of New York (not Empire Bay) in the 1970's when crime was at an all time high. Mix in a bit of blaxploitation action, Taxi Driver influence, Mean Streets, The Godfather II, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Donnie Brasco (pic below) Times Square is a cesspool of pimping, porn and prostitution. New York is gritty, grimey and crime riddled.. From the street gangs of South Bronx (like The Warriors) to the 1970's coked up Mafia families.. Irish Hell's Kitchen mob and Russian Mafia..

brascomercedesbackground.jpg

Large images below..

Spoiler
  • El Diablo, Claude4Catalina, MiamiViceCity and 2 others like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago Edited by Zello, A day ago.

My only complaint was that it was missing things seen in other open world games like purchasable safehouses, clothing, cars, and going to restaurants.

The whole empire building thing or taking over rackets was kinda boring I didn't really feel like a Mob Boss now I was probably misled by the marketing but you do everything and then in the end don't get to enjoy it. Lincoln was just a version of the Punisher out for revenge
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted A day ago Edited by Mister Pink, A day ago.

Yeah would love a game where money and economy works and it makes you feel like you go from being an errand boy to a big boss. You're purely in it for the cash and the life-style. That and you are a functioning psycho. Go from associate to capo and then to street boss and even family boss.

Things like:

- Purchasing safehouses

- Controlling gambling dens

- Taking over territory but turning territory over to a particular racket like gambling or illegal booze

- Truck heists (just like robbing cash transit vans but stealing trucks full of cigarettes and merch to sell on)

- Controlling protection rackets

- Drug smuggling

- Jewel Heists

- Airport Heists

- Purchasable legit business that can only be bought with clean money

- Money laundering feature

Also ability to upgrade warehouses and any property you own. Illegal stuff can be bought with laundered money, legit stuff like cars and property would have do be done with clean money just like in that game Omerta.

Also, wouldn't mind having a system that you have to pay money up to your bosses. Then when you finally become capo, your crew pays money up to you. So you always have to work to keep going or cash will dry up. The only time you stop paying money up is when you become family boss. That's when the story is over and all you really need to do sit back and watch the cash fly in. It could also kind of double as a game completion reward. 

• universetwisters, Zello and icecoldkilla1467 like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Cyuu cyuu

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago Edited by luisniko, A day ago.

Not being cocky, but my complaints about this game has more weight than the usual ones:

1. I understand Mafia doesn't strictly mean "Italian Mob". It's just how pop culture tend to link the word with. However, I expect more Italian mafioso conflict, yet this game and the DLC is more like "Adventure of a Veteran: Wiping Psychos"

2. Energy and hardwork seem to spent on unnecessary things like the UI elements in the mod shop. It's overdone.

3. No end game. They were making an open world game with non-linear design but with linearity in mind.

4. The cars are great. They look very much like the real life counterpart. But aren't able to be owned and personalized. Besides, they showed two civilian cars in their ads about vehicle modification and the cars we own until now are still dictated by the developer.

5. Communication is too much vagueness and BS. When they said "there are new activities in Faster Baby", they meant jumping ramps to destroy billboards and growing weeds that rewards you Hipster VW Combi where other car decals in the game wouldn't work on it; broken texture wrap.

• Mister Pink and Ivan1997GTA like this

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 2 hours ago Edited by AiŽaŠobŽa, An hour ago.

Speaking of driving....My game save got corrupted so i had to start all over again lucky i wasn't too far in so it doesn't bother me as much as if i was deep into the game

A1miapz.gif

uqU1bRU.gif\kIe1uYx.gif

I do love how i pass a cop doing 105 and he turns on his lights and sirens then just says it ain't worth it...

2fRSwVP.gif

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users