Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping / Model - Requests thread - Map Version 6

178 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick the best map design? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Whats this about? I've seen a lot of map designs created by fans of GTA - Some pretty good and some pretty bad. So it's time to vote and please comment on why you like or maybe dislike.

1. Posted Image (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Posted Image (7 votes [24.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

3. Posted Image (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

4. Posted Image (5 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

5. Posted Image (7 votes [24.14%] - View)

6. Posted Image (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

7. Posted Image (7 votes [24.14%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote
Tadzik
  • Tadzik

Street Cat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:39 PM Edited by Ridd1cK, 07 March 2014 - 06:44 PM.

I've not played other take 2 related games but the maps do look interesting. I can not convert these maps directly because it's another games property not Rockstars and also go against GTAF's board rules.

Aren't Midnight Club a Rockstar Game? As I see MC3 Dub Remix is made by Rockstar San Diego
Also I saw a Mafia 1 conversion for IV here, so I think there won't be any problem with converting Midnight Club's cities :)

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

Looking stuff up on wiki, I should have done this long ago.

I made it clear from the beginning of map version 6 that I will not be importing maps from other games. Never mind what company of Take Two created them.

I pretty much want this to be a made from scratch TC more then a convert them up TC. however I can make maps that resemble other games and map layouts.

That is what I did with Midway North (Mainland Liberty) that is going to be Chicago.

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Huelga birds in the air and we're chargin with spears

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

I wasn't suggesting that you convert it seti, was gonna send you a zip of pics I took to give you an idea of building layouts and such... so dont worry... anyway u can't convert it seeing as how it wasn't released on pc

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

In love

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Will you be making a map based on Tokyo? It's an awesome city, Or maybe you could try making Times Square or The Triangle in LC, since nothing resembles it.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Bedford Point is the closest equivalent...

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Will you be making a map based on Tokyo? It's an awesome city, Or maybe you could try making Times Square or The Triangle in LC, since nothing resembles it.

Tokyo, No m8 we want to keep this USA based not GTA planet earth, but I did want to do a london umm UK version one day.

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

I've merged this topic with Map version 6's topic since we are talking about the same improvements.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

mnmn1234
  • mnmn1234

Hugging Niko Belic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:20 PM Edited by mnmn1234, 11 March 2014 - 11:21 PM.

any chance you could add something like this to the countryside in SA? 

f6f62a07-cc6d-452c-97ad-6e8164d9ae92.jpg

IE The cave with water fall

• Jeansowaty likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:29 AM

Looking stuff up on wiki, I should have done this long ago.

I made it clear from the beginning of map version 6 that I will not be importing maps from other games. Never mind what company of Take Two created them.

I pretty much want this to be a made from scratch TC more then a convert them up TC. however I can make maps that resemble other games and map layouts.

That is what I did with Midway North (Mainland Liberty) that is going to be Chicago.

https://dl.dropboxus...11/sandiego.zip.

here ya go... not much but meh

mnmn1234
  • mnmn1234

Hugging Niko Belic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:08 AM Edited by mnmn1234, 16 March 2014 - 01:09 AM.

I'm going to wipe up a new LandLinked SOL With Avskygod0's Map

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:04 AM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 08 April 2014 - 05:05 AM.

I posted a world map that you may be able to use as a reference.  Some Rockstar cities are not on the map, like Carcer City and Cottonmouth.  I named Chicago "Lakeshore" on my map.  I plan on making a more detailed map with compact cities that could possibly fit in a Renderware-based game like San Andreas. 

http://gtaforums.com...entry1065074134

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

I posted a world map that you may be able to use as a reference.  Some Rockstar cities are not on the map, like Carcer City and Cottonmouth.  I named Chicago "Lakeshore" on my map.  I plan on making a more detailed map with compact cities that could possibly fit in a Renderware-based game like San Andreas. 

lol, I think X-seti will be glad to see your map ;)

here Ima post a pic of it so that it can be viewed here as well\

gtusa_1200x919_wYankton_compressed.jpg

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

lol, I think X-seti will be glad to see your map ;)

here Ima post a pic of it so that it can be viewed here as well\

gtusa_1200x919_wYankton_compressed.jpg

I laughed when I looked at that map. Hey it's pretty cool and a hell of a lot of work even if I tried to take this on.

Thinking about it in more detail. The finer points...

I can do a city in about 6 months and bug check it and move onto the next with the time I have now, but just imagine how long this would take. I can not be doing this as a one man team like how it is now though it's not impossible as I did a quick count on just the cities never mind the land mass on that cool map. That part is easy so we have about 60 cities that could take me 30 years to complete - Where I would be in my 70s.

Now I did set out before I started working on SOL the cost involved and the hardware I had at the time. With all my projects these can not be at cost to me as I pretty much run things very lightly indeed like you would a business.

Doing the land mass, grass, hills, and roads first would be pretty quick with the tools I have but this isn't counting the other geographic features.

How can this be done...

I would need every modder out there all working as one team and not leaving me on my own to get it done.  Some buildings could be recycled to be used in other cities and I do have the models from 50 states to use too.

That would be one hell of a challenge.

Not even Rockstar could have the resources to do this as it would cost to much in dev time. This is where modding has the advantage.  first you would need to know in meters the distance from north to south and east to west so we can work out in game units the map size, The Vice City engine is the only engine currently this can be done on unless we had the dev pack from Rockstar to expand the Rage engine. (not going to happen)

I have been looking at the Vice Cry mod to expand on what I am doing with the current SOL before I saw this post :) 

I am open to challenges but hell this would be the modelling marathon of a lifetime. 

I need to finish the current SOL first, this should take about another 6 months and then I will revisit this post.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Im doing my best to garner interest in SOL in order to get you some help cuz you are overworking yourself a tad bit being the only dev on this project... 

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

X-Seti: Ever hear of The Crew? That map is an interesting concept, but would take a lot of time. Anyways here is the map from The Crew.

Map.png

Rockstar may do this in a future GTA era. Anyways, I don't think they have as many cities as on the other map, but they do have major cities like:

-New York

-Miami

-Boston

-Detroit

-Chicago

-Washington DC

-Las Vegas

-Las Angles

-San Francisco

-Seattle

-St Luis

-Huston

-etc

I believe they also got some major country side landmarks as well like:
-Mt Rushmore

-Grand Canyon

-Mississippi River

-Niagara Falls

-Yellowstone National Park

-etc

The map takes a general geographical forum of the continental United States. You could try doing that with your map. (Obviously, you can trim things off the list of cities, and only do the major cities, which are more major than some others).

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:08 AM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 21 April 2014 - 08:11 AM.

I laughed when I looked at that map. Hey it's pretty cool and a hell of a lot of work even if I tried to take this on.

Thinking about it in more detail. The finer points...

I can do a city in about 6 months and bug check it and move onto the next with the time I have now, but just imagine how long this would take. I can not be doing this as a one man team like how it is now though it's not impossible as I did a quick count on just the cities never mind the land mass on that cool map. That part is easy so we have about 60 cities that could take me 30 years to complete - Where I would be in my 70s.

Now I did set out before I started working on SOL the cost involved and the hardware I had at the time. With all my projects these can not be at cost to me as I pretty much run things very lightly indeed like you would a business.

Doing the land mass, grass, hills, and roads first would be pretty quick with the tools I have but this isn't counting the other geographic features.

How can this be done...

I would need every modder out there all working as one team and not leaving me on my own to get it done.  Some buildings could be recycled to be used in other cities and I do have the models from 50 states to use too.

That would be one hell of a challenge.

Not even Rockstar could have the resources to do this as it would cost to much in dev time. This is where modding has the advantage.  first you would need to know in meters the distance from north to south and east to west so we can work out in game units the map size, The Vice City engine is the only engine currently this can be done on unless we had the dev pack from Rockstar to expand the Rage engine. (not going to happen)

I have been looking at the Vice Cry mod to expand on what I am doing with the current SOL before I saw this post :)

I am open to challenges but hell this would be the modelling marathon of a lifetime. 

I need to finish the current SOL first, this should take about another 6 months and then I will revisit this post.

I have a more compact map (20 miles by 20 miles) in the works.  The city set is much smaller.  This is the overview so far.

gtusa_mini_V4.png

Three cities have been fully mapped - Liberty City, Lobbyton (Washington, D.C.) and Trumpcard (Atlantic City).  It also has a mile scale on the bottom.

gtusa_mini_V5_liberty_lobbyton.png

I post all my updates here:

http://imagimaps.blogspot.com/

They are also in the Mapmaking thread here.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Cottonmouth and Carcer City are missing :/

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

This what the western half of my map looks like so far.  All of the major cities are completed.  The map is 20 miles by 20 miles (32.2 km by 32.2 km).  You could filter out a few smaller cities and cut it down further to 100 miles2.  This could give you an idea of how to set up a multi-city map.

PytGPSn.png

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

Maps are getting better all the time. I am impressed where I might hold a poll on where others can vote of the best map design

Looking at the names I kind of wonder how a UK version might be laid out.
  • Mega. likes this

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:26 AM Edited by X-Seti, 09 May 2014 - 12:15 PM.

I would like you to choose a map design so I can gain ideas for the project; buildings. other models and concepts you would like to appear in the next version of the mod. Also I would like to know your favourite Rockstar Map from GTA, GTA2, GTAIII, VC, SA, LCS, VCS. GTAIV to GTAV and why.

To get started check out the voting section and please vote, comment on why you voted for that map.

1. 51oe2a.jpg 2. gta_vice_city_extended_map_by_gdn001_d4l 3. gtusa_1200x919_w_Yankton_compressed.jpg

4. gtusa_mini_V4.png 5. mapversion6400x400.jpg 6. 63191949093709176002.jpg

7. ]88229341615786072966.png

Tadzik
  • Tadzik

Street Cat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:45 AM Edited by Ridd1cK, 09 May 2014 - 06:37 PM.

Extended Vice(map 2) combined with map 5 would be great. I don't think that Liberty City from IV would fit III era maps. The city is as large as whole San Andreas.
I found these maps on my HDD
Spoiler

Paradise City(1. map in spoiler) is awesome :3

EDIT
I see you edited the poll. So in my opinion the best map will be if you combine maps 2,5,6,7, but I know it's a lot of work. I hope you will hind help with modeling.
  • Jeansowaty likes this

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

I'll see what can be done and what maybe can not given the time we have :)

iWizzo
  • iWizzo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

hmmmm

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

hmmmm

Care to expand on that m8?

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:18 PM Edited by nkjellman, 23 May 2014 - 09:19 PM.

@UrbanAdventuring:

I like your idea. There are a lot of cities, and they are a reasonable size. However, one thing. What I would do is make the map bigger as a whole. Basically more country side in between the cities. The thing is, country side is much easier to make as it is able to be generated randomly. All the vegetation can also be placed by a generator. With cities that close together, using a generator may not be as easy as the terrain will have to be altered to line up with the cities. With more country in between it will make it a amazing map that will take a while to explore.

I do think that these ideas would be neat. They may work out well on the Just Cause 2 engine as well seeing as that engine supports a large ass map. Thing is, I am not sure how the GTA Forums staff would like a mod which is making a new GTA universe like that, but on a non Rockstar game. It is still GTA as the contents of the mod are GTA, but redone.

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

I am remodelling everything so these models can be used on other engines, but the important thing about using other engines is getting premission first. More so because of Copyright. Reason why I can't and nor should anyone else be porting Rage (IV - V) on the Renderware engines.

Ever way. using my own models still doesn't mean I own then because R originally created these in the first place.

It does say in the games license that the content can not be replicated so I need to do some checking before I bounce around on other engines like Cry Engine or My Crymaria Engine.

I am in this to experiment and see what can be done to the Vice City engine. I am going to make a recruitment topic in requests because I need a coder (asi hooks and SCM) and someone who knows how to model in 3dsmax.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:06 PM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 01 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

Update to my 30+ city map with military bases, all major cities, and prisons mapped out so far.  I just need to do the countryside:

Spoiler

Here's another map I have in consideration.  It's a more compact layout containing 15 cities laid out in a long island similar to Japan, but representing the same US cities:

NXDG9R9.jpg

The latter one will probably be 15 to 20 miles east to west (I haven't measured it exactly), but only about 5 miles north to south.  The trips across country will still be pretty epic, but the amount of geographical detail needed to be stored would be only a small fraction of what would be needed for the 30 city map.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

mehdiboumour
  • mehdiboumour

Boumour

• Members
  • Morocco

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

Can you do sewers in every city ? I like sewers, because they are like a maze :D

This is just a suggestion.

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

hmm... I think a Sacramento expy should be called River City (Its unofficial name)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users