Quantcast

» «
Photo

Saints Row: Old vs New

36 replies to this topic

Poll: How do/did you like the Saints Row series? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

How do/did you like the Saints Row series?

1. Old (Saints Row, Saints Row 2) (44 votes [77.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.19%

2. New (Saints Row The Third, Saints Row IV) (6 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. Both, I like the old games but I also like the new direction. (7 votes [12.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:37 PM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 09 May 2014 - 01:13 AM.

Simple question, how did/do you like the Saints Row games, did you like the older titles and hate/dislike the newer ones or vice versa, or do you like both?

I haven't played the original Saints Row game as it never released on PS3 and I don't own an Xbox 360 so I can't judge it.

I did played Saints Row 2 however, and loved every minute of it, that game was my personal GOTY for 2008.

I was extremely hyped up for Saints Row The Third but I ended up being disappointed with it overall (still great in it's own right though and it was still a gameplay focused game), it felt too stripped down, the map was the biggest downgrade, it was smaller and the amount of interiors could be counted with fingers, it was a 'one stop forward, two steps back' game, the addition of quickly jumping into a car and weapon upgrades were nice additions but the removal of things like improvised weapons, replayable missions, etc was a big downgrade.

I am yet to play Saints Row IV as the game is yet to go down in price (I won't pay $90 for gloried DLC) but I am already disappointed, instead of listening to the fans, they kept the same disappointing map and added superpowers, and as most people know, that game was originally meant to be DLC, sadly, Volition is turning into Hideo Kojima in terms of greed but at least Saints Row IV was still a gameplay focused game.

So, even though I have only played 2 out of 4 games, I can safely say that I'm on the 1-2 side of the fanbase.

• Daz likes this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

I played 1-3, and the first two sh*t on 3. I can see what they were trying to do and separating themselves from being a GTA clone, but for me it knew up in their face, they lost a customer. I don't mind over the top, since I played 3 for a while, but I don't think they did it tastefully.

JeffreyDahmer
  • JeffreyDahmer

Dan Houser Is God

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:59 AM Edited by JeffreyDahmer, 09 May 2014 - 01:03 AM.

i thought saints Row 1 Was An Underrated Classic it had a good Storyline that was more Unique than any of the gta games that came out before it (not Saying better as Such) it also  Improved on the Gta Formula in Many Ways and i always thought it was a better Game Than San Andreas.

Saints row 2  was also a good game it found a nice Niche after Grand Theft Auto IV I Enjoyed it though i liked the Storyline and Overall Vibe Of  The Original More still a good Game.

Saints row the Third Had its moments but for the most part was trash in my eyes and i will always hate it for Pretty much killing a series which i was Beginning to really like.

Saints row 4 = sh*t 

Winner = Old Saints row By a MILE !

i Look at the Saints row series as 2 games (1 & 2) i try and ignore those last 2 abominations. 

Snoochie_Boochies
  • Snoochie_Boochies

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

Saints Row 1 was the first game I ever played on the 360, and it blew my mind.  Saints Row 2 was even better, and the hype i had for it is close to that i had for GTAV, and it is one of the few games i've played (the others being san andreas fallout new vegas), that actually met and exceeded my expectations.

3 and 4, however, are just awful.  I couldn't even bring myself to complete 4.  Yes, the games are funny, and they have their moments, 4 had some moments that did make my day, and as standalone games, they'd probably be good to me, but as saints row games, they killed the series for me.  I wish volition would have just made a new series based on the premise and gameplay for SR3 and continued with a more GTA style Saints Row series.  It is a lot like what the producers of the Simpsons (i mean the actual people behind the show, not FOX) have done to the show I loved growing up: made it over the top, filled it with dumb plots that only exist to fuel the humor, and dumb guest stars.

so the saints row series is a lot like the simpsons: they're still funny, but it's just not the same....

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

Lol I'm the only one who voted new.  Since when it comes to the Saints Row series, I really don't give a crap about the story at all, so the gameplay of 3 and 4 makes me like them more.  I just like goofing around in the games and making my character, nothing more.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

Although I never really loved the first two games I thought they were good games in their own right and good alternatives to GTA. If anything I slightly prefer SR1 to SR2, but SR2 is still a fun game.

As for SRTT and SRIV like most I think both games are pure garbage. SRTT is the lesser of the two evils IMO, but still quite horrible. The thing with SRIV was I knew it was going to be trash, but still rented it moreso for curiosity and a slim hope it might not have been as bad as I had anticipated. However it was.

So in saying that I don't consider myself a Saints Row fan, but I'll side with the oldies sir.

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

SR and SR2 are better to me. The environment is interesting (diversity, npcs, stores, etc), liked the story being mostly serious with some comedy, customization (No crime game beat SR2 yet), weapons (picking up melee objects, guns, katanas, dual and single wielding). I seriously have all the games and whenever I try to play SR3 or SR4 I can only last 15 minutes at max before I turn the system off, but with SR anr SR2 I still play them for 1hr+ . This says a lot for to the games that came out in 06 and 08 compared to games that came out in 2011 and 2013.

I wonder why Volition doesn't make SR4 into its own game series?

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Once an SFPD officer, now a Templar

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

I guess I like both. TT and IV's humor is quite overblown, but I generally enjoyed TT's smoother core gameplay and missions and IV's implementation of superpowers. I wish that for SR V, they'll keep superpowers, but tone the humor and "over-the-topness" back to SR 2's levels - it can be done, it worked in comic books for 75 years. And maybe drop the old cast altogether. I like the crew and I'm generally not in favor of reboots but I think in this case, it would only help the series.

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Saints Row was the first game I played on the 360, and it was my go-to game while waiting for GTA IV to come out. Even after GTA IV was out, I still returned to Saints Row quite often, I just had a lot of fun playing it, exploring Stilwater, going through the story again, and listening to the radio. I actually liked the Mike and David Show more than GTA IV's (and honestly, GTA V's) talk radio shows. It's a bit more subtle, a lot more satirical, and not as loud and silly as anything on WKTT or WCTR.

Saints Row 2 was even better, it improved on a lot of things that were in the first. The city was updated, it had a lot more variation (something Steelport from 3 and 4 lacked, every area looks the same and there was no atmosphere, NPCs in Stilwater actually did things besides just walking around), the soundtrack was smaller but the songs were better (The Mix 107.77, "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears :^: ), a ton of fun activities to do, interesting story, and better customization than in the first. I still go back and play this sometimes, I just wish more people did co-op without cheats. Having SR3 follow this was just disappointing. There was a lot less to do in that game, less places to explore, a shorter story and bad characters, and the humor in 3 and 4 just doesn't appeal to me very much at all. I've honestly never seen a series take such a drastic change in direction and style before.

I will say one thing, I couldn't believe it when I heard this song in GTA V, I heard it all the time in Saints Row 2 and it was another one of those songs that I always associated with that game specifically, it made me want to play it again :colgate:

• Witchking Of Angmar and MadMugen like this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

SR2 tracks were f*cking amazing, probably behind SA's radio stations. Young Jeezy's track in the game alone was damn hard.

• Witchking Of Angmar likes this

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

AKA: BLOOD,BiiD or BloodMOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:33 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 10 May 2014 - 02:35 PM.

Tbh i have a very Deep Opinion but i would probably get Ban again if i was to say it...and yeah SR2 was a Superb Game unlike the last two Sh*tbags Installments,Damn cant believe that Soundtrack that is always on in Vanilla Unicorn was also in SR2 that is cool man ;) (the only thing missing is the Strip Club Interactivity i.e. Lap Dancing from GTA) lol.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I liked 2 and 4. So where does that place me? 

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

I can understand updating the game play and mechanics, but why did they basically take EVERYTHING out of the game!?

Would you all have bought SR4 if it was its owns series?

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Would you all have bought SR4 if it was its owns series?

Yes, cause SR4 was a great game.

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:13 PM Edited by GTA-Freak-Vi, 10 May 2014 - 09:18 PM.

Saints row the third is my fav (my opinion might change after I try out the older ones)I got it for free via PSN + and really enjoyed it, kept me busy before GTA V came out. Haven't played 1&2 yet but I might try them out later this year

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

I'd have to say I preferred the early Saints Row games. Back then, they could go head-to-head with Grand Theft Auto in terms of gameplay. But now, they're a league all their own. Not in a good way, either. More in an unsettling way, like that loner kid we all knew in high school who sat in the corner of the lunchroom and talked to himself about residential architecture of Dresden.

See my point? Exactly.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

The early Saints Row had potential, but didn't really grab me.  For all the extra side missions and customization, the worlds seemed empty, and the stories clumsly tried to juggle humour and seriousness.  With Saints Row III, the series hit it's stride; it had it's own identity.  Though IV was more an excellent peice of DLC rather than a whole new game, I'm hope the series keeps it's funny, self-referential tone.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:49 AM

Saints Row 1 was my favorite, at the time the graphics looked amazing, the story was really good and I loved the crazy gameplay. Also was probably the most difficult in the series, which is a plus for me. Saints Row 2 was also great. Saints Row 3 was a major step down from the previous two amazing games, I wouldn't say it was terrible but it was just mediocre. I never picked up Saints Row IV, I've heard conflicting views on it though, some say it's as lackluster as Saints Row 3, while others have said it was a step back in the right direction.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

I've only played SR2, as the first never came out for the PS3 (never in my life have I owned and Xbox console). The story is mostly serious, but the game has plenty of comedy moments as well, and the character customization is great. I just wish there were more than three possible voices for each gender.

I'm not sure how I feel about SR3, as I might buy a used copy someday. SRIV on the other hand, looks too over the top and stupid for me.

Wug
  • Wug

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:53 AM

I played 1-3, and the first two sh*t on 3. I can see what they were trying to do and separating themselves from being a GTA clone, but for me it knew up in their face, they lost sh*tloads of customers. I don't mind over the top, since I played 3 for a while, but I don't think they did it tastefully.

Fixed.

But yeah, I like 2 the most.

Although 3 is going to be free for Xbox Gold members in five days.

Won't even touch it.

Xyn
  • Xyn

緋色

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:04 AM Edited by Xyn, 12 May 2014 - 03:12 AM.

Saint's Row 2 is a masterpiece.
IMO a spiritual successor to GTA III; a simple yet effective story, yet the 1st priority the game always has is to provide over-the-top fun.

SR3 went too far with the immaturity to the point you wondered if Volition thought that was what people liked about their series.

SR4 is a fun hybrid with plenty of nods to the 1st two... it's ok i guess.

Greatest Game Intro track, bar none...

• Miamivicecity likes this

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:37 AM

New, I didn't play the first one much, 2 was good, 3 was sh*t and 4 is my favourite.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:34 AM Edited by Daz, 12 May 2014 - 06:39 AM.

The first two games on the outside might have seemed like blatent GTA clones, but really what they managed to do was offer the same freedom of experiences you got from san an on the next gen consoles, and when IV became so heavily reliant on pointless realism with tedious and slow gameplay, SR2 was a great alternative to have some fun like we used to.

The addition of full story co-op made it perfect, a lot of customization options and endless fun.

Why I felt that SR3 ruined the series was not entirely that the game went utter batsh*t. But it was that the new map and environments weren't the same at all.

I used to love just dicking around at the airport in SR2, you could have so many laughs there, be it shooting down landing planes, trolling ones taking off, throwing airport staff around, messing around in the surrounding areas. Messing around in the sea with peds driving boats around, f*cking around on the beach with people sunbathing. Going into interiors such as the sports club and throwing elderly people into basketball nets.

All that was gone in 3. It was fun in 2 because it felt like you were causing mischief and messing up someones day. But in 3 that didn't exist. It was just a weird dream world where peds would randomly breakdance in the street without warning. There were no peds driving boats in the sea, there was no beaches, there was no life at the airport, infact it was all overgrown with weeds and had broken pavement, it was a f*cking mess.

They didn't care about making a world that was somewhat believable or sane in any way. Because pulling down someone's pants infront of people is funny, but doing it when you are both alone, is just weird.

It lost many other great features I would use all the time, like picking up random objects and throwing them at people. As well as being able to choose a fighting style acompanied by the heavy power melee attacks by holding one of the triggers. I could endlessly power boot some f*cker up the ass all day with those. No such thing in 3.

There was also WAY more options in SR2, I loved playing as a ninja with a color scheme to match subzero and scorpion. I was utterly shocked when I first played 3. I had created just a placeholder character with the character creator before I got the game, tried to make something look as good as possible, then found out that was the entire clothing stock for the game. It was such a sh*t selection I ended up just playing as a female character for the rest of the game.

They spent so much time on the dildo and wobbly tit physics that I thought, may as well try and make use of it.

All the guns sucked ass, at least in 2 they were actually more true to life than even GTAV's are right now. But in 3 they were just giant sh*t looking joke weapons. That had upgrades that I could never take off and was stuck with if I ever wanted to play with them in that form I would have to make a f*cking backup save.

They killed an entire part of the already small map by making it a zombie hoard section, which it was entirely not needed.

The driving somewhat improved but was still pretty f*cking sh*t, especially collisions.

The only thing I enjoyed from it was the dive button. I could spend hours diving off the roof of the main safehouse into the pool.

Sure 3 jumped the shark hardcore, but it was just that it no longer cared about what originally made it great, I just wanted a lot of choice and options and to let ME decide on what and when I choose to be funny. They made a big mistake by forcing those things on you.

A joke is not funny if you are forced to tell it and everyone knows it is coming.

It is funny when someone falls over in public when they didn't mean to, but SR3 is just that clown at a kids birthday party so desperate for you to laugh at it that it just becomes so unfunny that it becomes sad.

And the bottom line is, there wasn't even a day and night cycle or the f*cking insurance fraud minigame.

• CantThinkOfOne2013 and Boxman108 like this

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Like the first two, because they have a real gang stuff going on. especially the first SR makes you really feel like part of a gang.

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Can they at least make a good environment? Truthfully Steelport is the worst sandbox city I've played this console generation. 

• Tony., Boxman108 and Blood-Is-in-Diamond like this

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

Can they at least make a good environment? Truthfully Steelport is the worst sandbox city I've played this console generation. 

I'd be happy if they brought back Stilwater the way it was in SR2 with some updates. Each area actually felt different from the rest and there was a huge variety of them. It had a nice beach area, suburbs, a university district, Mexican area, Chinatown, corporate HQs, museums, enterable airport, huge mall, etc. And it was a much nicer-looking city, too. Steelport has almost no variety, it's only about half the size of Stilwater, and it's difficult to tell apart one area of the city from the next, since it all looks like the same mix of sh*tty looking stores and houses and old factories with a few skyscrapers inbetween. I think they were trying to go for a falling apart Pittsburgh style for the game, but I didn't like it.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

What I really liked about SR1 and 2 was the humbleness of the saints

-They lived in ruined churches and crappy apartment blocks. And they really had to fight for every metre of their turf with rival gang, using very mundane weapons. It was small scale stuff.

But in SR 3 the saints moved to these ridiculous penthouses and lived like kings. That's just not what the saints are about. Saints were about the hood and about the little people. And it should have stayed that way.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Once an SFPD officer, now a Templar

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

@Tony

I liked Steelport's style. Very urban, raw and gritty in a way. It reminded me of Alderney (my favorite borough in IV) and Gotham, somewhere between its TDK trilogy version and Arkham series' version.

But Stilwater completely blows it out of water, with its variety and detail. I think Stilwater is actually my favorite original (not based on any real location) city in an open world game. Every district, every block in Stilwater shows care and attention the designers put to it. I hoped Steelport in SR IV would get similar overhaul and upgrade Stilwater got in SR 2, but it didn't. What a shame, it had huge potential. But that's the story of whole TT and IV, isn't it? Unfullfilled potential.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Had a dream before IV was released that IV would have larger versions of both Stilwater and Steelport. Obviously unrealistic but was hoping they'd surprise us with a fully explorable Stilwater after the one mission at the church with Benjamin King. So disappointing.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

The first two games on the outside might have seemed like blatent GTA clones, but really what they managed to do was offer the same freedom of experiences you got from san an on the next gen consoles, and when IV became so heavily reliant on pointless realism with tedious and slow gameplay, SR2 was a great alternative to have some fun like we used to.

The addition of full story co-op made it perfect, a lot of customization options and endless fun.

Why I felt that SR3 ruined the series was not entirely that the game went utter batsh*t. But it was that the new map and environments weren't the same at all.

I used to love just dicking around at the airport in SR2, you could have so many laughs there, be it shooting down landing planes, trolling ones taking off, throwing airport staff around, messing around in the surrounding areas. Messing around in the sea with peds driving boats around, f*cking around on the beach with people sunbathing. Going into interiors such as the sports club and throwing elderly people into basketball nets.

All that was gone in 3. It was fun in 2 because it felt like you were causing mischief and messing up someones day. But in 3 that didn't exist. It was just a weird dream world where peds would randomly breakdance in the street without warning. There were no peds driving boats in the sea, there was no beaches, there was no life at the airport, infact it was all overgrown with weeds and had broken pavement, it was a f*cking mess.

They didn't care about making a world that was somewhat believable or sane in any way. Because pulling down someone's pants infront of people is funny, but doing it when you are both alone, is just weird.

It lost many other great features I would use all the time, like picking up random objects and throwing them at people. As well as being able to choose a fighting style acompanied by the heavy power melee attacks by holding one of the triggers. I could endlessly power boot some f*cker up the ass all day with those. No such thing in 3.

There was also WAY more options in SR2, I loved playing as a ninja with a color scheme to match subzero and scorpion. I was utterly shocked when I first played 3. I had created just a placeholder character with the character creator before I got the game, tried to make something look as good as possible, then found out that was the entire clothing stock for the game. It was such a sh*t selection I ended up just playing as a female character for the rest of the game.

They spent so much time on the dildo and wobbly tit physics that I thought, may as well try and make use of it.

All the guns sucked ass, at least in 2 they were actually more true to life than even GTAV's are right now. But in 3 they were just giant sh*t looking joke weapons. That had upgrades that I could never take off and was stuck with if I ever wanted to play with them in that form I would have to make a f*cking backup save.

They killed an entire part of the already small map by making it a zombie hoard section, which it was entirely not needed.

The driving somewhat improved but was still pretty f*cking sh*t, especially collisions.

The only thing I enjoyed from it was the dive button. I could spend hours diving off the roof of the main safehouse into the pool.

Sure 3 jumped the shark hardcore, but it was just that it no longer cared about what originally made it great, I just wanted a lot of choice and options and to let ME decide on what and when I choose to be funny. They made a big mistake by forcing those things on you.

A joke is not funny if you are forced to tell it and everyone knows it is coming.

It is funny when someone falls over in public when they didn't mean to, but SR3 is just that clown at a kids birthday party so desperate for you to laugh at it that it just becomes so unfunny that it becomes sad.

And the bottom line is, there wasn't even a day and night cycle or the f*cking insurance fraud minigame.

I agree fully (apart from using the 'GTA Clone' term, I f*cking hate that term with a passion), when I first played Saints Row The Third, I was extremely delusional with that game but after finishing it twice, I realised the truth (IMO), Saints Row 2 is better.

I agree that the map was the worst thing to happen to the game, I don't know how they could f*ck up so bad after the excellent map that Saints Row 2 had, Steelport was smaller with less almost no interiors, no location diversity and no life, Saints Row 2 had the best interiors out of any open world game IMO and it may have not been that graphically impressive but it was still rich with life.

The mechanics were improved and the dive button was excellent, but everything else was dumbed down, what happened to driving into a gas station and getting blown sky high? now nothing happens when driving into a gas station, you could't even spray water from the firetruck.

And the lack of a day/night cycle was just mind-boggling.

The only thing your wrong about is insurance fraud, that was in the game.

Making this thread made me feeling like playing Saints Row 2 again, but as fun as the game is, it is equally depressing thinking about how the great has fallen, after relising the disappointments of The Third, I thought that Volition would have fixed the issues due to fan demand (like GTA was doing at the time, this is before the release of V) but instead we got the same map and superpowers.

• MadMugen likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users