The future of gaming, and neuroscience.

15 replies to this topic
Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

Their is a new technology being developed called Haptic technology. Basically, one would install a chip into a persons brain over certain areas of their brain to allow them to feel or hear what does not actually exist. Now, install contact lenses that put an overlay of graphics, for example ones own gun, explosions, small walls/barriers. The person would be able to "hold" their virtual gun, feel and hear bullets whizzing and even explosions and at least understand where these barriers are.

Now this is obviously a rather expensive, and risky idea so the average person would not be able to afford this, but, would if this becomes a new TV show. A war show that allows for a realistic battlescenes without any of the danger.

It would basically be like the movie Gamer, but without the actual bloodshed, or the controlling of humans.

In fact I wrote like a little promotional paragraph, with some basic ideas on how this works.

"Meet the new blend in reality and fun, watch bullets wiz past your head as you run from cover to cover, feel explosions rock you (Disclaimer:May result in shell-shock), all in the comfort of nature with none of the destruction. 

For a gaming system like this to work, first of all, all the people's Neuro-wear would have to be linked up. Probably using some sort of wifi system (which would pretty much force these games into certain areas unless wifi becomes everpresent in the future) this would allow for info flow between each person so that bullets and explosions are rendered in correct position. This would require creating a virtual grid-map for the system to work on (in fact, I bet there could be a commander system just like in BF4 that's easily accesible (with just a thought of the mind)) this would allow for a system keep constant check on where things are. The cool thing is these games could be played in an open field with virtual cover that you could "feel". This virtual cover can be destructible....Basically, this would be the ultimate form of FPS entertainment. This of course, is at least 15 years down the road. We would need the tech to catch up, then to decrease in price to the point this becomes commercially viable, massive investment costs would need to be mitigated by investors. Don't care enough to make it."

What do you guys think? I got most of these ideas from Michio Kaku's new book "The Future of the Mind."

SoftTouch
  • SoftTouch

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

f*ck that. I enjoy gaming as it is now, I don't want some sh*t connected to my brain.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:57 AM Edited by DarthShinobi, 09 May 2014 - 06:58 AM.

I'm all for immersion, but f*ck that! End up with PTSD after a a few matches of Battlefield, or somesh*t.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

I do not think that sort of stuff would catch on, because you would need some sort of immersion pod for gaming, inside which you would be safe from hurting yourself. And that would be just too costly and take too much room.

In surrogates it was used, yes, but thing is, in real life such things would not be commercially viable except for the very rich people.

They could use the tech in deep space exploration, with remote controlled robots acting as surrogates, or in military, with people loggin their conciousness to a mech and then stomping around Baghdad with it while they themselves were safely in USA.

I would like to see good virtual 3D glasses, though. No longer would you need a monitor for gaming as the picture would be streamed straight into your glasses!

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

The safety gives troubles with such stuff. I'm currently okay with the first-person perspective, gives me enough immersion as it is. Now I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but again, there is much danger with this. If they could find a safe way to do this, then I'm all in.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

I put the tin foil hat and say that this would give way to mind control, police state and a new world order.

Putting aside all the sci-fi stuff, I see the future of gaming more like a nightmare of expensive uncompleted games, DLC and milking.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

The PTSD thing was kind of a joke. I doubt one would get such a thing from a game. 

Also, I meant one would be running around they wouldn't be in a pod they would still be alive and kicking around in, let's say a specially built stadium for the warriors to play in.

I just thought people would love the idea of a War show because people f*cking love war. 

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

People love war? Where the f*ck do you live, in Murica?

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

In a certain sense, yeah, people do. When it's video games and movies, not real life. Just like with GTA, gamers love killing people, stealing cars and banging hookers. But in real life... yeah.

• Xboxless likes this

Mista J
  • Mista J

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Since you like throwing zingers at th US every chance you get I'm curious, where are you from?

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:16 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 09 May 2014 - 02:21 PM.

Not really. The only people who love wars are either don't know anything about wars or why it happens and think it's cool, or they have certain grudges against other countries. If there is a legit reason to go to war, then that's necessary otherwise no one likes war.

@DarthShinobi: I'm from the UK. I think you should have a good idea why I hate America. And when people make stupid statements, I like debating. The reason I slate at some people from the US is because they clearly don't know what's happening in their own country nor do they know anything about how their Government works. They're just being fed a lot of bullsh*t. Not everyone is like that though.

Mista J
  • Mista J

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:22 PM Edited by DarthShinobi, 09 May 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Not really. The only people who love wars are either don't know anything about wars or why it happens and think it's cool, or they have certain grudges against other countries. If there is a legit reason to go to war, then that's necessary otherwise no one likes war.

@DarthShinobi: I'm from the UK. I think you should have a good idea why I hate America. And when people make stupid statements, I like debating.

Oooookay then!

And not everyone in America is a redneck looking for the first excuse to shoot something.

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

In a certain sense, yeah, people do. When it's video games and movies, not real life. Just like with GTA, gamers love killing people, stealing cars and banging hookers. But in real life... yeah.

This is exactly what I meant. People love war in the sense of video-games. This would allow for an experience that emerges reality and gaming.

Also, it's really not as dangerous as you think. Scientists have been putting electrocortigrams straight onto the brain for quite a while. They do that to pull images from their brain so you can watch what people are seeing.

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:49 AM

Just like most gimmicky concepts, this project will probably never see the light of day. At least not anytime soon.

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

So what happens when a cod trick shotter does his yy fakie endo 360 grenade toss 720 weapon switch ladder stall mid air reload knife in the air trickshot.....would your brain be able to handle that level of realistic sniping.

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

the problem with pulling off such a technique is that he would have to actually do said things with his own hands, body, and ability to jump. This would require actual athleticism.

Oh, and yes Yolo, this would not see the light of day for ages. Most definitely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users