» «
Photo

Big Orange Ball Challenge!

39 replies to this topic
Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:08 PM Edited by Flukey, 06 May 2014 - 11:11 PM.

Okay so I've had a few half-arsed attempts at implementing the physics of the Big Orange balls located on the couple of juice stand roofs around the map and failed miserably.

I tried an off-road race at the ball at vinewood hills with a jump to knock it off the roof in the hope it would chase the racers down the mountain but it just didn't quite work out.

I also tried to create a rectangle of barriers and goalposts at the ball in the Blaine County. I made it a deathmatch with an equal number of vehicles each side to try and make a football match. The ground wasn't level so the ball just rolled into the corner and wouldn't budge.

I'd love to see these big balls successfully implemented into a created content.

Has anybody got any succesfull ball content? Or would anybody like to take on my big balls challenge?

;)
  • matajuegos01 and SaveTheZombies like this

GTAMYBABIES
  • GTAMYBABIES

Friendship Is Magic

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

I haven't tried knocking them over.

Do they break like the volleyball at the canoe shop?

Do they float or sink?

If they float someone could make a water polo game with sea sharks on the Alamo sea. I would play a game like that.
  • Flukey and matajuegos01 like this

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:26 PM Edited by Flukey, 06 May 2014 - 11:30 PM.

Thats something ive never considered. Its interesting but you'd have to get the balls over to the water. Both balls are quite far from water. Might be a bit of a drag if half the game is shifting the ball.

I don't know about the volleyball what's that?

The big orange balls just roll around if you knock them loose. You can push them around with a vehicle. I think if you get too far away they despawn and respawn on the juice stand roof.
  • matajuegos01 likes this

Sangers
  • Sangers

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

What about making a field without a 90 degree corner. Use one or more diagonal fence/barriers to make the corners curved.

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

A curved corner would be easier to get the ball out but the rectangle of props is so huge, you might run out of memory. I think it really needs a level field.

GTAMYBABIES
  • GTAMYBABIES

Friendship Is Magic

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

Thats something ive never considered. Its interesting but you'd have to get the balls over to the water. Both balls are quite far from water. Might be a bit of a drag if half the game is shifting the ball.

I don't know about the volleyball what's that?

The big orange balls just roll around if you knock them loose. You can push them around with a vehicle. I think if you get too far away they despawn and respawn on the juice stand roof.

I found one between grapeseed and sandy shores and it was close to the water and I pushed it into the Alamo but unfortunately it sinks. However the ball is next to a farmers field that is close to level and you can push the bails of hay out of the way. Actually you could use the bails as pucks for a hockey game or something.

stronktank
  • stronktank

#stronk

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

I know only of two. And have been trying to make a race around it too. Worked eventually with attack helicopters so you can fly them off their sockets or rocket them off.

Knock 'em Off!

http://rsg.ms/Sz3QBc

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

These are some pretty trippy ideas.

I got to tell you, when they're held for pleasure, they're the balls that I like best.

What about bowling?

Sending the big ball down the incline towards some dynamic props?

The only question is...

do you name it after the acdc song or the big lebowski?

You've certainly given me something else to put on the ol drawing board.

TenFourSkin
  • TenFourSkin

GT: SlowJoey7838913

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

I see one problem with these games. I have done this before and knocked one off with a bunch of friends. We chased it down for awhile but the game had too much lag because the balls were showing at different places on our games and then would despawn after awhile.

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:20 PM Edited by Flukey, 07 May 2014 - 10:20 PM.

I don't know why they would put these 'Easter eggs' in the game and then not expect us to play with them in content creator.

GTAMYBABIES
  • GTAMYBABIES

Friendship Is Magic

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:15 AM

I don't know why they would put these 'Easter eggs' in the game and then not expect us to play with them in content creator.

If it moves, move it!

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:28 AM

Well, I did it. I even tried inviting randoms to it but each one that joined, dropped out. I think the name scared them away.

Let's Go Bowling

1_0.jpg

If not the description may have scared them off:

Cousin! It's your cousin. I'm in Los Santos. Lets go bowling! I met a really nice 'Dude.' He and his shell shocked friend will show us a new way to bowl. We knock a giant orange down a hill at some barrels. He smokes a lot of dope.

http://rsg.ms/1nq7bN7

So there are three different paths this big ball took when I knocked it down. So I set up some dynamic props in those three paths. I might go in and replace the dynamic props with tire stacks.

I also set up a few little Foosball courts at the spots where the ball sometimes settles. The little tunnel nearby seems like a good spot.

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

Great I'll check this out in 5 minutes

Sangers
  • Sangers

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:46 AM Edited by Sangers, 09 May 2014 - 06:47 AM.

Love the creativity but I can see this being fun for about 2 minutes.

However I did play a destruction derby death match where everyone just drove around running into eachother for 10mins. Only one kill was registered because someone hopped out of their vehicle and was run over. For me it was entertaining but not for a repeat play, but everyone else in the lobby seemed to love it cause they all voted to replay.

So I guess everyone has different tastes.

----------------

One way to play something like football and register point scores would be to have a capture game where the delivery point is the goal. I haven't tried the capture creator to see what the different delivery items can be.

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:48 AM Edited by SaveTheZombies, 10 May 2014 - 12:02 AM.

Demo Derby is just fun, even if you don't earn much $.

It is meant to be a short match. It's actually a GTA capture; just drive in the objective when you're done. The other types of capture objectives are bags which need to be picked up by the player. Although they can be placed on an actor, I can't think of a way it would work in the ball.

The way I see it, for bowling, it's actually a good thing that the ball respawns; gives other players a chance to send it down one of the other inclines.

Edit:

And speaking of Demolition Derby and big balls, I found this on the creator core club list: Demolition Soccer Derby http://rsg.ms/ODMpNO

and

One for the 360s, a land race involving the ball: http://rsg.ms/SJCcl6

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

I just made this http://rsg.ms/SQOQPh

Thinking about locking it to biftas. Its a lap race with a sharp turnaround that should knock the ball loose and hopefully run it into the oncoming traffic on the dirt track back to the finish line.

Its called Number 6. I don't know how many of you are old/cool enough to remember the TV series The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan where he had his memory wiped and had to escape the strange island with a big ball chasing him.
  • matajuegos01 and SaveTheZombies like this

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Well, I did it. I even tried inviting randoms to it but each one that joined, dropped out. I think the name scared them away.
Let's Go Bowling
1_0.jpg
If not the description may have scared them off:
Cousin! It's your cousin. I'm in Los Santos. Lets go bowling! I met a really nice 'Dude.' He and his shell shocked friend will show us a new way to bowl. We knock a giant orange down a hill at some barrels. He smokes a lot of dope.
http://rsg.ms/1nq7bN7

So there are three different paths this big ball took when I knocked it down. So I set up some dynamic props in those three paths. I might go in and replace the dynamic props with tire stacks.
I also set up a few little Foosball courts at the spots where the ball sometimes settles. The little tunnel nearby seems like a good spot.

This was really fun. Players just tend to finish the objective instead of playing with the ball though,

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:07 AM

Yea. I was thinking of placing the drop off points farther away to give those who want to play a chance. I did place a small contingent of armed and angry clowns by the finish point.

Looking forward to playing Number 6 later.

MichiganMuscle77
  • MichiganMuscle77

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:29 AM

Next time I see you on, let's play. 

• SaveTheZombies likes this

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

@stz

I think you're right. I'll probably switch my race title to an Indiana Jones theme tomorrow.. People just don't get my Number 6/Prisoner reference lol

Thanks for the idea.

GreenReign
  • GreenReign

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

If you have a Sandking, you can knock the ball into the back end of it, and drive the ball somewhere, you have to be careful and not go too fast, or it will pop out, and you also have to have a stock back end with no bars, or they will block it from going in. I have no idea how you would implement that in a race, however.

• Flukey and SaveTheZombies like this

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Its worth thinking about. I'd like to make a race where everybody has to team up to get the ball to a destination across the map but I think any randoms that join will just try to win the race lol

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

I tried to think of a clever Indiana Jones name for my race (thanks to SavetheZombies for the idea) but I failed so now the race is just called Indiana Jones lol.

I've altered the props so the ball has more momentum coming down the hill. I've also added explosive barrels to the trough that the ball follows on its path down the hill. Now it actually causes explosions and becomes a fireball as it chases the racers down the hill! I didn't expect that.

I've got it locked to Biftas because anything heavier seems to overshoot the ball offcourse. But the biftas still seem to fast for the chase down the hill to be dramatic. I thought about using golf carts but I think they'd struggle with the uphill climbs plus I don't think players would appreciate a 2 mile per lap race in a golf cart. Any suggestions are welcome. This is the link http://rsg.ms/T86fTz Indiana Jones ps3

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:06 AM

Because what's better than being chased down a mountain by a giant ball? Being Chased down a mountain by a giant ball, on fire.

I can't wait to try the update.

I like the sandking idea. It would be easier to get the ball in the bed with a capture and more gear (like a bulldozer) but I don't think you can use a sandking in capture. I like the challenge idea of keeping it in the truck.

Sangers
  • Sangers

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

Hey has anyone tried using the object stacking method to put a floating car above the ball? I read somewhere that floating vehicles will fall to the ground at the start of the job. This would get the ball rolling ...pardon the pun.

• Flukey likes this

hyperkane
  • hyperkane

"Like A Hurricane" x 100

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:04 AM Edited by hyperkane, 16 May 2014 - 05:05 AM.

I just made this http://rsg.ms/SQOQPh

Thinking about locking it to biftas. Its a lap race with a sharp turnaround that should knock the ball loose and hopefully run it into the oncoming traffic on the dirt track back to the finish line.

Its called Number 6. I don't know how many of you are old/cool enough to remember the TV series The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan where he had his memory wiped and had to escape the strange island with a big ball chasing him.

I like the track alone and the ball just adds to a good race. I think it's good that one person can try it out in case no one else wants to join.  +1

BTW. I remember The Prisoner.   ;)

• Flukey likes this

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thanks a lot. I just made a new version where the ball falls down the steeper gulley. Its a lot faster and more dramatic. This is the link. http://rsg.ms/1o0uu0e

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:31 PM Edited by SaveTheZombies, 17 May 2014 - 06:32 PM.

I didn't know I needed to re-bookmark after... what, I guess the name is changed?

I dig the new route for the ball in Indiana Jones. I haven't seen it go on fire yet. This is one job I would really love to be a spectator on. Is there a way to choose that while waiting for players or in the ready screen?

Leeds-Monkey
  • Leeds-Monkey

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

just quickley made a bowling alley type race, using a suv as bowling ball and buoys as pins.

Bowling Alley Bridge:   http://rsg.ms/TfkENK

Flukey
  • Flukey

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

Yeh I'll have to see how your bowling game compares with Zombies.

@zomies: I always save a copy of my races to play with any major edits. Sometimes I can't be bothered editing the original so I just publish the saved and re-edited copy and delete the original.

Its stupid that there is no option to overwrite a published race with the same name :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users