Quantcast

» «
Photo

You shouldn't be able to carry all the weapons...

114 replies to this topic
TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

This again? I like being able to carry every gun and blow sh*t up at my leisure.

You want limits like that, go play f*ckin' mafia II.

I find it interesting that you've always been an adamant fan of SR2 yet what the OP is describing is pretty much what's used in SR2.

Anyway I think being able to carry all weapons is kind of stupid. People never had any issues with the old system so why fix what wasn't broken?

I mean at the very least I would like to be able to discard the weapons I no longer want or are out of ammo. The only alternative is to get arrested which is almost impossible in this game since the cops just shoot to kill the majority of the time.

In ways this system is in fact more limiting as you're pretty much stuck with what you have when you get it.
  • DrAnomalous likes this

GravelAxe
  • GravelAxe

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

It would have definitely improved the RPG and strategic gameplay elements if you actually had to think about which weapons to use and how many to carry (think about Skyrim where choosing which weapon loadout to use is a big part of the game, your choice of weapon is a meaningful one and you end up customising or even naming your favourite weapons).

But R* clearly didn't want to go in that direction (i.e. depth and meaningful choices), so ultimately I think the current setup of "Use what ever you want at any time to blow people up lol" fits the game best. 

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

I can understand the incentive of making us carry all the weapons; limiting to only one weapon per category became problematic in the Episodes of Liberty City especially:

Lost & Damned introduced two new shotguns, one allows you to use it while riding on a motorcycle to great efficiency, and the other is like a mini-minigun that is an absolute blast to use on foot. Unfortunately, you can't carry both.
There's also the presence of the grenade launcher, using the same slot as the rocket launcher. Unfortunately, the story missions don't seem to consider this, as the mission that gives you the grenade launcher is quickly followed by another that forces you to carry the rocket launcher, and in order to retrieve the grenade launcher there's no alternative other than buying it back.

Ballad of Gay Tony introduced a unique SMG class weapon that can't be used for drive-bys. It isn't until near the final missions that another new SMG is given and allows you to use it while on a vehicle, but thus removing the previous unique SMG from the same slot.

Also, due to new engine physics introduced with IV, Molotov are just as much fun using as Grenades. Unfortunately, not only you can't carry both, but story missions tend to put grenades more in favor to the player, and freely given more frequently than the Molotov cocktails.

But like I said in another thread, the real issue with V's weapon system is the fact that there is so few activities outside of story missions that allows you to use your large arsenal.
Story missions for that matter tend to hand you over specific weapons needed during specific shootouts, so it's not like you'll be choosing for your favorite rifle in your inventory when the game suddenly gives you one of the best ones with free modifications already attached!

Really, I think it was the Blitz Play heist where you're freely given one of the game's two heavy machine guns plus modifications attached. The other heavy machine gun that has weaker stats is not only unavailable in gun stores at that point in the story, but doesn't become available until much later in the game, perhaps at the same time the minigun becomes available. So what's the point?
  • Ermac and ten-a-penny like this

Belch
  • Belch

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

I agree. Put a gun rack in an apartment (if no apartment, then use the ammunation) and add a weight penalty for each weapon you want to bring with you.

Want to bring your minigun and rpg launcher with you? You're going to be so loaded down that you will have to crawl. Oh, and a gun rack for cars, so if you want, you can run back to your sandking and select a rifle from the gun rack. Zentornos will only be able to carry a few pistols.

poland stronk
  • poland stronk

Gib money pls

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:58 AM Edited by poland stronk, 18 May 2014 - 01:13 AM.

Since it's my first post, hello.

Yeah I agree with OP. The fact that you can carry every weapon is just dumb. It's the same logic as with GTA IV, remove a good system with more archaic step-back one.

Don't Get me wrong, I know it's about entertainment but since there is no choice to what weapon I want to carry and which one I want discard there is no fun. What I like in RPG game is that I can pick whatever equipment suits me. Here I have everything I would or not need which kills those nice little moments where I had to think which setup is best for my playstyle.

The best weapon system should be like this:

-4 basic slots for ANY type of weapon (excluding your fists which would take first slot) - something like in Far Cry 3 where you could take three pistols, one shotgun or another weird/clever combination of weapons that you needed or wanted.

-unlock more weapon slots if your character has higher weapon skill or strength - an actual reason to go on the shooting range and make use of those stats which have been put for some reason which I belive was fun and progression.

-unused weapons are stored in your safehouse so when you are at home you can do something more than just change clothes and smoke a pot. Also ability to swap them in Ammunation and buy a "subscription" so the store would deliver and re-stock your ammo cache in house and deliver bulletproof vests each time you take one. And ability to just do your buisness in weapon store if safehouse is too far so there is no need to drive half the state.

-ability to pick new weapons and throw unwanted - which would cause a dilemma like "should I throw away this rifle for that pistol, I will have to buy it again or should I throw away that sniper rifle which I rarely use so I could have an empty space for that gun".

-More ammo types. For example normal/high-explosive for shotguns (like those exploding shells in that Shotgun from TBoGT) or normal/supressed (so your weapon deals more damage or makes less noise which would stack with supressor) or standard rockets/heat-seeking (like in Saints Row series where rocket shot would follow player's reticle). And of course ammunition exclusive for some weapons so .50cal pistol won't fire from a clip loaded with 9mm bullets. All for sake of our money so there is actually something worth spending on those millions made from heists.

-and no weight or 'realistic' weapon limit. It's a game and I belive there should be limits but they shouldn't be ridiculous so there is still fun no 'GTA IV fun'.

That would be the best. No brutal realism which was annoying in GTA IV but opportunity to have actual fun and freedom. Just imagine those moments when you go to weapon store or safehouse and anylize which weapon with it's attachments is better. So if someone wants weapon with higher rate of fire then he picks Assault Shotgun if he wants to trade power over discretion then he picks a silenced pistol and if he wants a weapon setup for every occasion then he will pick SMG with supressor and Sniper Rifle. Those type of moments. No dumb cycling through weapon wheel to find that favourite rifle just open up your inventory and have what you need at any time. And the game wouldn't have chance to brutally force us to pick a weapon designed for a particular mission. We would have a chance to pick that gun for unused slot or swap it with something cheap or what we don't need at the moment.

That's why most modern games suck because where there might be those nice little things which put player in charge we get those crappy systems which give us everything and are over-simplified just so player does not have to think for themselves and barely there is a challenge and fun from it. It almost feels like having a cheat which allows you to haul tons of gear. All I want is customization. If there are clothes, tattoos, car and weapon mods then why there is no ability to customize your equipment. Even Vice City had covered basics of it - well that game actually started it and I belive almost none of us actually complained about that.

• ten-a-penny likes this

Mukaparska
  • Mukaparska

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Since it's my first post, hello.

Yeah I agree with OP. The fact that you can carry every weapon is just dumb. It's the same logic as with GTA IV, remove a good system with more archaic step-back one.

Don't Get me wrong, I know it's about entertainment but since there is no choice to what weapon I want to carry and which one I want discard there is no fun. What I like in RPG game is that I can pick whatever equipment suits me. Here I have everything I would or not need which kills those nice little moments where I had to think which setup is best for my playstyle.

The best weapon system should be like this:

-4 basic slots for ANY type of weapon (excluding your fists which would take first slot) - something like in Far Cry 3 where you could take three pistols, one shotgun or another weird/clever combination of weapons that you needed or wanted.

-unlock more weapon slots if your character has higher weapon skill or strength - an actual reason to go on the shooting range and make use of those stats which have been put for some reason which I belive was fun and progression.

-unused weapons are stored in your safehouse so when you are at home you can do something more than just change clothes and smoke a pot. Also ability to swap them in Ammunation and buy a "subscription" so the store would deliver and re-stock your ammo cache in house and deliver bulletproof vests each time you take one. And ability to just do your buisness in weapon store if safehouse is too far so there is no need to drive half the state.

-ability to pick new weapons and throw unwanted - which would cause a dilemma like "should I throw away this rifle for that pistol, I will have to buy it again or should I throw away that sniper rifle which I rarely use so I could have an empty space for that gun".

-More ammo types. For example normal/high-explosive for shotguns (like those exploding shells in that Shotgun from TBoGT) or normal/supressed (so your weapon deals more damage or makes less noise which would stack with supressor) or standard rockets/heat-seeking (like in Saints Row series where rocket shot would follow player's reticle). And of course ammunition exclusive for some weapons so .50cal pistol won't fire from a clip loaded with 9mm bullets. All for sake of our money so there is actually something worth spending on those millions made from heists.

-and no weight or 'realistic' weapon limit. It's a game and I belive there should be limits but they shouldn't be ridiculous so there is still fun no 'GTA IV fun'.

That would be the best. No brutal realism which was annoying in GTA IV but opportunity to have actual fun and freedom. Just imagine those moments when you go to weapon store or safehouse and anylize which weapon with it's attachments is better. So if someone wants weapon with higher rate of fire then he picks Assault Shotgun if he wants to trade power over discretion then he picks a silenced pistol and if he wants a weapon setup for every occasion then he will pick SMG with supressor and Sniper Rifle. Those type of moments. No dumb cycling through weapon wheel to find that favourite rifle just open up your inventory and have what you need at any time. And the game wouldn't have chance to brutally force us to pick a weapon designed for a particular mission. We would have a chance to pick that gun for unused slot or swap it with something cheap or what we don't need at the moment.

That's why most modern games suck because where there might be those nice little things which put player in charge we get those crappy systems which give us everything and are over-simplified just so player does not have to think for themselves and barely there is a challenge and fun from it. It almost feels like having a cheat which allows you to haul tons of gear. All I want is customization. If there are clothes, tattoos, car and weapon mods then why there is no ability to customize your equipment. Even Vice City had covered basics of it - well that game actually started it and I belive almost none of us actually complained about that.

This is the best reply I've seen so far. This would be great!

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:30 PM Edited by B Dawg, 18 May 2014 - 01:30 PM.

That would be the best. No brutal realism which was annoying in GTA IV

What exactly did GTA IV to ruin the weapon system apart from not losing weapons upon death? It's completely identical to previous GTA games. Besides they ideas you brought up actually include more realism, weapons of the same type not sharing the same type of ammo, making it more annoying to switch from a machine pistol to a strong single bullet pistol or vice versa/other types of guns.

And besides, there was no weapon customization in Vice City.

• TheOtherRyan and DrAnomalous like this

L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV
  • L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV

"Hell yeah!"

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

You should have all the guns but carry only one pistol and a two handed gun, also a explosive/throwable.

• blackindia likes this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:01 PM Edited by Racecarlock, 18 May 2014 - 11:02 PM.

I don't know where people get the impression that Mafia II's system is anything like GTA IV's or Saints Row 2's.

Mafia II doesn't let you carry one gun of every type. Mafia II lets you have 3 guns PERIOD. No more. Mafia II was a game designed in the same vein as Garbage Truck Simulator 2011, Street Sweeper Simulator, and so on. The only difference is it had some cover based shooting. Ooh, look out other games, GOTY right here.

GTA IV, while having more limits, and SR2 too, still both let you carry a rocket launcher around. And a minigun too, in sr2's case. sh*t, even saints row 4 kept that system.

The thing some people here are advocating for is not the GTA IV system. It's a system where you can't carry a rocket launcher or any large weapons. Just 3 generic guns. That is not fun. Immersion be damned, that is not fun. Sometimes I don't want challenge. Actually most of the time I don't want challenge, but there are challenge and realism oriented games out there. Like mafia II. I want to be able to carry a rocket launcher in my pants. It's fun. This is why I pick the GTA series and the SR series, but won't be buying another mafia game.

pilscy
  • pilscy

Don Vito

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:42 AM Edited by pilscy, 19 May 2014 - 02:00 AM.

the max payne 3 system would've given it a more realistic feel 

HUD-MP3.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

dual weapons?????????????? or nahhhh

pentaxian
  • pentaxian

PKDY Crew Representative

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:22 AM

GTA needs a Fallout: New Vegas style challenge mode. 

Normal mode is how it is now. Challenge mode only allows you to carry a pistol concealed, doubles damaged received, healing items take time to administer, etc.

Hell, I'd go for it.

that would be pretty interesting.  i would definitely replay the entire sp if they had that mode.  here's to hoping for new gen release with such an option...

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:05 AM Edited by Andreas, 29 May 2014 - 01:08 AM. Removed IMG tags.

the max payne 3 system would've given it a more realistic feel 

http://img3.wikia.no.../92/HUD-MP3.jpg

http://i1.ytimg.com/...c/hqdefault.jpg

dual weapons?????????????? or nahhhh

Oh god, I thought about max payne 3. Now I'm going to wake up tomorrow with a hangover and cirrhosis of liver.

Also, I still want to be able to carry at least one rocket launcher or minigun or flamethrower in my pants wherever I go.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:46 AM Edited by Xerukal, 19 May 2014 - 06:48 AM.

Max Payne 3 is a linear game (and a Max Payne game, at that). The weapon wheel works the way it works in favor of that. You can't just shoehorn that sh*t into V. 

The current system in V is fine as it is. Just let us drop weapons and ammo, for f*cks sakes. It's already in Online. They could just "patch" it into SP. This has already been done very recently with the quick menu carrying over from Online with the High Life update.

-inVADER-
  • -inVADER-

Have you met my lovely wife, Laura? No! Well, ......

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

So you want an L.A Noire/Max Payne 3 style system? 

Me too!

It's better,and look cool!

Max_Payne_3_2012_05_17_15h16m26s17.png

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:11 AM Edited by BlackNoise, 19 May 2014 - 07:11 AM.

@Xerukal

Yeah, it's linear game, but it would probably work better in GTA. As much as I liked the system in MP3, the linear aspect forced you to lose weapons at certain times and there was nothing you could do, except grab the next thing you find. In GTA, you can get weapons anywhere. I never think about weapons in GTA V, because you just have all of them whenever you want. I would love to see that become a choice. What to bring on this or that mission. That would add to the experience IMO. 

And I'm not saying we should carry less weapons. I'm simply talking about no magic pockets. You should be able to carry as much as you want, but it should make sense IMO. That's an entire new layer that could be added to the gameplay. I don't want the system to just be "fine". I want it to have some depth. Right now it works, but it's too basic for a series like GTA. A car shouldn't only be for transportation, a safehouse shouldn't only be for saving, and bags shouldn't only be for missions. 

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:21 AM Edited by Xerukal, 19 May 2014 - 07:24 AM.

As it stands right now, getting the ability to drop weapons would at least give us the choice to limit ourselves on purpose for the sake of self-created depth and challenge. Granted, It's not the same since the game itself is designed to think that you're a one man army. But that's the best we can do for V in particular. Somewhere down the line, during the so-called "next-gen", there should be a balanced solution to this whole thing in a future GTA. 

But I would definitely like to be able to store weapons in vehicles, among other things. And perhaps suitcases and other such delicate weapon casings, as well. Similar to some "special weapons" in Hitman: Blood Money that only came in suitcases stashed somewhere on the given map. Just a vague example. Although quite different. 

• BlackNoise likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:24 PM Edited by B Dawg, 19 May 2014 - 06:29 PM.

Mafia II lets you have 3 guns PERIOD.

What? Doesn't Mafia II let you carry all weapons? I can easily recall being able to kill the gunshop owner and literally take every gun from it, all the pistols, the tommy gun, shotgun, hunting rifle, grenades, and even buy those WW2 weapons and molotovs from friends shops hidden in alleys without getting rid of my Tommy Gun/Shotgun/Grenade.

It was actually the first Mafia game that had weapon limits. The only way to have 2 heavy weapons in that game was to have one of them held out at all times.

poland stronk
  • poland stronk

Gib money pls

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:00 PM Edited by poland stronk, 19 May 2014 - 07:04 PM.

That would be the best. No brutal realism which was annoying in GTA IV

What exactly did GTA IV to ruin the weapon system apart from not losing weapons upon death? It's completely identical to previous GTA games. Besides they ideas you brought up actually include more realism, weapons of the same type not sharing the same type of ammo, making it more annoying to switch from a machine pistol to a strong single bullet pistol or vice versa/other types of guns.

And besides, there was no weapon customization in Vice City.

I meant GTA IV is over-realistic as whole making game annoying and it removes good elements like character statistics, car modding, many side-activities and giving dumb missions to get from point A to point B killing every enemy in the process. The weapon system was fine except it was outdated and needed improvements. It wasn't dull like in GTA V.

Yes, my ideas bring more realism but don't make game frustrating. And tell me how much money you get after first heist? You have plenty to buy enough ammo for your favourite weapons and more ammo types allows you to customize your guns even more. No one had problems in TBoGT with two ammo types for Assault Shotgun. They just had one or other and it was fine so why not expand on this?

And yes Vice City didn't have weapon customization but it gave every weapon a category which was reused for next four GTA games. It provided basics in terms of removing clutter from your equipment. Now back again to GTA V where you have to select a weapon category and cycle through to get that pistol you always use. It's just dumb. In action game it shouldn't take more than a second to select your weapon with more than two or three button presses.

cuti8tushu
  • cuti8tushu

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

This is the tradition of GTA since day 1 wayyyy back they'v always done this..

So it's a no from me

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

Mafia II lets you have 3 guns PERIOD.

What? Doesn't Mafia II let you carry all weapons?

It does.
You had the pistol slot, the rifle/shotgun slot, the machine gun slot, and the fist/grenade slot.
You just had to repeatedly press the weapon slot button to alter between the different handguns and machines guns you wanted to use.

Each specific gun had its own ammo type however, they don't share.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

We're not strong, We're injustice strong !!!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

What? Are you joking?

Niobium
  • Niobium

TREVOR FANBOYS LIVES DON'T MATTER

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

The system I would go with, and I think is fairly balanced

- You can carry two small weapons, with around 500 bullets for each. These weapons can be concealed in a jacket.
- You can also carry one two-handed weapon, such as an assault rifle or shotgun. With a bandolier thing, you can carry this weapon on your back. However it's not concealed and this gives you a three-star wanted level on sight. Of course, you can sneak through alleyways, apartment floors and across buildings to have your two handed weapon ready, without being given a wanted level. Your three weapons can be switched to almost instantly. For this weapon, you can carry around 200 bullets. This makes your two handed weapon "special" and in the long run, makes it feel like your assault rifle has more impact. You'll also find yourself using a greater variety of weapons. An "extended" bandolier thing allows you to carry two two-handed weapons, as the expense of slower running speed, and less ammo.
- In your personal vehicle, depending on size, you're allowed to carry extra weaponry and ammo. A semi-truck allows you to carry every gun in the game and 9999 ammo, a van allows you to carry 5-6 guns and 5000 ammo for each, etc. This also makes vehicle size something to factor in when choosing a vehicle.
- This adds extra layer to free roam, as there's an "extra objective" of sorts. If people are going around killing, where do they get their ammo from? That's right, find their van and steal it or keep it. This also makes "hiding" our ammo storage something to consider. Keeping it safe in your garage, or hiding it in an alleyway or garage.

inb4 simpletons posting "2complex4me i jhus whant 2 keel ppl"
There's better games to kill random people on. Leave that basic nonsense to Saints Row IV and let GTA have some depth for once.

I love this idea. This actually gives me a reason to use big cars such as SUVs, since in V all cars drive the same (except some cars such as SUVs are slower, which means there is no point in SUVs and no real advantage to using them)

AzelfandQuilava
  • AzelfandQuilava

Another COD Player...

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

I have no problem with being able to carry all the weapons on my character, my problem is how in the Singleplayer, dropping weapons is such an annoying task itself, I just want to get rid of this Combat MG and instead of just throwing into the nearest river, I have to get arrested and lose the rest of my ammo...

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:21 AM Edited by Hodgey., 29 May 2014 - 12:21 AM.

It's pretty stupid you can have like 5 pistols, 5 assault rifles, 5 SMGs and 5 shotguns at a time. You never lose them, you never run out of ammo. It get's boring.

It's a videogame! This is the way it has always been with videogames!

People used to giggle at Lara Croft in Tomb Raider, with her tiny backpack that contained an arsenal of weapons, useful keys, artefacts and a crowbar...that was 18 years ago!

But you just accept that it's part of the game; sit back, relax and enjoy.

Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't mean it's the right way. I think the OP does have a point as it isn't like he's saying lets get rid of miniguns or RPG's etc, but let's just think about the amount of weapons and do we need them all at oncee.

I dont mind the way it is but I think perhaps changing the system slightly in the next GTA is the way to go.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:20 AM

The system I would go with, and I think is fairly balanced

- You can carry two small weapons, with around 500 bullets for each. These weapons can be concealed in a jacket.
- You can also carry one two-handed weapon, such as an assault rifle or shotgun. With a bandolier thing, you can carry this weapon on your back. However it's not concealed and this gives you a three-star wanted level on sight. Of course, you can sneak through alleyways, apartment floors and across buildings to have your two handed weapon ready, without being given a wanted level. Your three weapons can be switched to almost instantly. For this weapon, you can carry around 200 bullets. This makes your two handed weapon "special" and in the long run, makes it feel like your assault rifle has more impact. You'll also find yourself using a greater variety of weapons. An "extended" bandolier thing allows you to carry two two-handed weapons, as the expense of slower running speed, and less ammo.
- In your personal vehicle, depending on size, you're allowed to carry extra weaponry and ammo. A semi-truck allows you to carry every gun in the game and 9999 ammo, a van allows you to carry 5-6 guns and 5000 ammo for each, etc. This also makes vehicle size something to factor in when choosing a vehicle.
- This adds extra layer to free roam, as there's an "extra objective" of sorts. If people are going around killing, where do they get their ammo from? That's right, find their van and steal it or keep it. This also makes "hiding" our ammo storage something to consider. Keeping it safe in your garage, or hiding it in an alleyway or garage.

inb4 simpletons posting "2complex4me i jhus whant 2 keel ppl"
There's better games to kill random people on. Leave that basic nonsense to Saints Row IV and let GTA have some depth for once.

Oh yeah, because if you want to just kill people, you should be relegated exclusively to the game with super powers and dildo bats.

I mean, I like Saints Row IV, but what about the guys who don't want super powers and wackiness while killing people? Where does that leave them?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users