...::[The Footy Desk]::...

33,598 replies to this topic
Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Is it true that Barca had the chance to sign Asensio for 4 m €, but wanted to pay it in installments, so Real jumped in and bought him outright? Would be another example of tremendous stupidity, even a blind man could see this kid has serious talent.

Yes. it's true. Laughable that they would do something like that. Such a bargain for a player with all this talent.

And the cracks have been showing in Barcelona's squad since Guardiola left. They had their dominant run in 2009-11 but they have been on a continuous decline for the past 5 years. First Guardiola left, then they continued relying on the same players without planning for the future and now they're seeing the aftereffects. Xavi and Puyol gone, Iniesta on his last legs, Messi, Pique and Busquets getting older, neglecting their academy products and getting further away from the philosophy that made them the top team. The first signs were there when Bayern embarrassed them 7-0 in 2013. But then they got a few good signings like Neymar, Suarez and Rakitic which led to the treble when their front three were on fire for a year. But halfway through Enrique's second season, they started running out of steam and this summer has been hardly kind to them. Neymar just suddenly leaving and they have no plan B as he was supposed to be the heir to Messi. The window is closing and they are in danger of having another bad season. It also hasn't helped at all that they've signed so many flops in the past few years. Word is that Messi hasn't even re-signed a new contract and only had a "verbal agreement". If the board stays, it wouldn't be a surprise if he decided that he's had enough and leave completely. It's a bad state that will take a few years to completely recover from and Messi will not get any younger so maybe he'd rather spent his last few years at top level in a squad matching his talent rather than wasting it away in Barcelona rebuilding the team.

Does Messi even need to sign a new contract? It feels like Messi and Ronaldo have been renewing their contracts every few weeks for a raise in the last few years.

But yeah, agree with anything else. I thought after the 7-0 demolition their time was up for a while, but the brilliance of MSN was a second wind for them.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 4 weeks ago

Man, Neymar is on fire for PSG. If he keeps this up, he could very well be on track for his first Ballon d'Or. 

Champions League should be very exciting this year.

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago

Man, Neymar is on fire for PSG. If he keeps this up, he could very well be on track for his first Ballon d'Or. 

Champions League should be very exciting this year.

if psg win the champions league he will win ballon dor, but only as long as argentina or portugal dont win the world cup.

he wont get one just for scoring a lot of goals in the french league. i saw a clip of one of the goals, literally sunday league level defending.

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 4 weeks ago

Completely agreed. Playing in the French league will surely help him improve his goalscoring record for sure. 113 in 122 Ligue 1 game for Ibra, and I wouldn't doubt Neymar passing that mark if the team plays for him. 

Champions League will be very competitive this time around.

DomoDonDoom
  • DomoDonDoom

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

He needs to do twice as good as everyone else around europe to win the ballan d'or in france, The league standard is poor over there. He needs to outscore everyone in spain and england and also deliver in the champions league and the world cup to even come close. 

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 4 weeks ago

I've lost count on how many times I've said this, but F*ck Monday Night Football.  That sh*t doesn't belong in England, keep that sh*t in America where they throw eggs over Rugby posts.

It wasn't a bad game, but the ref was bobbins, and that was for decisions on all sides, not just City.

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago

rooney manchester legend

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 4 weeks ago

The ref was a complete disaster.

But I also think City are going to have to make some changes. Sane was at fault for that Everton goal. I think he is great, but maybe not as a wingback. De Bruyne was terrible today. They should consider returning to old fashioned 4-3-3 in stead of this Chelsea inspired 5-3-2 rubbish that everyone seems to have copied this season.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 3 weeks ago

150m for Dembele.... I don't know if this is the right move for Barcelona. They need a solution for now. The time for investing in prospects has passed. May be too much pressure on Dembele to perform up to Neymar's standards, plus playing second fiddle to Messi/Suarez... Would have been better to bring in someone with more experience, to maintain the level, and begin reinvesting in youth again while accepting that the next couple of years will be difficult.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I wonder if this will see Barca move to the rumoured 4-2-3-1 with Messi in #10. I personally want to see them make the switch, their midfield is no where near good enough for 4-3-3 anymore.

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

150m for Dembele.... I don't know if this is the right move for Barcelona. They need a solution for now. The time for investing in prospects has passed. May be too much pressure on Dembele to perform up to Neymar's standards, plus playing second fiddle to Messi/Suarez... Would have been better to bring in someone with more experience, to maintain the level, and begin reinvesting in youth again while accepting that the next couple of years will be difficult.

Dembele def. has the skills to make it. But beware of his temper, I wouldn't feel too comfortable with him in a clasico. On the other hand, with the special treatment a clubs like Barcelona gets, he could be fine...

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 3 weeks ago

The financial stakes are too high for big clubs to be able to be patient for good results. Dembele is a good buy. He's a phenomenon. His two footedness and speed make him unstoppable. What he'll need to work on is his finishing, and I'm sure they'll improve him tactically at Barca. He's Ballon d'Or material for the post Messi era.

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

arsenal fan tv will be amazing tonight.

• Tchuck and Eutyphro like this

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

i swear the only people who watch that sh*tty channel are rival/neutral supporters

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

i swear the only people who watch that sh*tty channel are rival/neutral supporters

I don't even watch the Premier League, but it's the best comedy on tv right now. They need to bring in some new characters though, the standard cast is getting stale.

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

finally the international break :D club football is awesome and all but its not quite the same as watching poland

maybe if united got to the champions league final i would feel the same level of excitement but i doubt it tbh

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

finally the international break :D club football is awesome and all but its not quite the same as watching poland

maybe if united got to the champions league final i would feel the same level of excitement but i doubt it tbh

International break is the worst. I can't express how much I hate it, don't give a crap about the German NT. And the players from "my" club always return with injuries and everything goes south.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 3 weeks ago

The fact that Alexis Sanchez seems to be going to City considering the players they already have is ridiculous. Arab money is turning the sport into a money driven joke. Anyway, Sanchez does seem a better player for Pep's playing style. Aguero is really underperforming in the false 9 role that is forced upon him. He should really just leave to a club that actually respects his natural playing style. With Alexis City could line up like:

-----------------------------Ederson----------------------------
--------------Otamendi--------------Kompany--------------
Walker--------------------------------------------------Mendy
------------------------Fernandinho---------------------------
----------------Gundogan-------D. Silva--------------------
B. Silva--------------A. Sanchez--------------De Bruyne

To me this would be the most optimal, but what would still be on the bench would also be quite impressive.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 3 weeks ago

Dembele didn't really start off well at Barca haha...

I hope he can cope with the pressure. 

• Mister Pink likes this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 3 weeks ago

He's not as good at freestyling as Neymar.. But he is crazy fast, and almost completely two footed, which makes him unpredictable by both being able to cut inside to shoot and going around the outside to cross very effectively, which is almost impossible to defend. I'm pretty certain he'll succeed.

But Barca midfield struglles will continue. I'm not a fan of the 4-2-3-1 idea. I think that would fail. It's bad the move for Seri from Nice failed. He would've been good.

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 2 weeks ago

Seri always delivered for me on my recent Football Manager saves! 

Well, last day of the window is upon us. Any guesses for some last minute madness? Can Barca snap up Coutinho or Di Maria? Will Sanchez do blue? Draxler going to Arsenal?

Living in Japan, I'll only know of these things when I wake up on Friday!

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Soooooooooo many potential deals still to go. Crazy deadline day.

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 2 weeks ago

Oh man, Mbappe to PSG. Damn! They're really going all out for that UEFA!

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 2 weeks ago

How are they going to play though? Are they going to play Mbappe on the right wing? Are they going to bench Cavani? It's weird.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 2 weeks ago

They could probably go on the offensive with a 424 of sorts, with Cavani and Mbappe upfront as a striker partnership, Neymar on one wing, Di Maria/Draxler on another side, Verrati/Motta/Lo Celso/Rabiot taking turns in the middle...

Or even a straight up 4-3-3, with Neymar, Cavani, and Mbappe upfront, and 3 of their solid midfielders feeding them the passes.

I'm really looking forward to FM2018 now, just to grab PSG and experiment with the talent they have. 

• Eutyphro likes this

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago

f*ck psg im still mad at them for f*cking up that 4-0 lead and letting barcelona come back so the media and idiots could fap over them again.

i dont understand how they fired laurent blanc for going out in the quarterfinals and winning the league but unai emery failed to win the league, went out in the round of 16 and took krychowiak with him from sevilla then didnt even play him (which really pisses me off the most since he's one of poland's most important players) and gets to stay and spend like 400m.

stupid club.

• Mister Pink likes this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Jason, 2 weeks ago.

Penny for the thoughts of Alexis Sanchez. Can't imagine he's too happy right now. The big big moves didn't happen, no Sanchez to City or Lemar to Liverpool/Arsenal but still some surprising deals like Krychowiak to WBA and Renato Sanches to Swansea. Gonna be a good season me thinks.

As for PSG, they've put a ridiculous amount of pressure on them selves now. Any time they don't win the CL it will be a failure, and if they fail to win it within the next three years they are a colossal failure. Will be exciting to see how that unfolds eitherway.

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 2 weeks ago

Reminds me of Real Madrid back in the first galacticos era. Such a massive star-studded squad, failure to achieve UEFA success, coupled with failure in the domestic front as well, was a massive disappointment. 

And even the beginning of the second galacticos era. Now Real has a great squad, with players that gel well, and a lot of great youth coming up. PSG just spent a truckload to get the best. 

Man, this will be an awesome season.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Barca have struggled with managers as well, always looking to find managers that suit their style instead of getting top class managers in who play their own way, but Pep Guardiola's don't grow on trees.

• Tchuck likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users