33,638 replies to this topic
 dice
  •  dice

Always rolling

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Server SAMP 2009

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:55 PM

La Liga should be fined for having such a system in place which can potentially infringe the Bossman ruling

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:25 PM Edited by Eutyphro, 03 August 2017 - 10:30 PM.

Maybe Barca can get Mbappe.. The main problem of Barca is that they lost Thiago to Bayern. He was the perfect successor to Iniesta, but they lost him. It's immensely difficult to find another midfielder of a similar quality, and such players are essential for the playing style of Barcelona. And the idea of Verratti joining Barca also seems increasingly ridiculous after the Neymar transfer. So Barca is kind of screwed really.

I also think Ousmane Dembele has as much, or more, potential than Neymar. So he is an option as well.

• Tchuck likes this

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:42 PM

£200m is just f*cking silly.

I know City are guilty of splashing stupid amounts of money on players, but going as far as that?!?

Not only that, and no offense to French football, but Ligue 1 isn't the best league, as it's got that same issue as Scottish or Dutch football, in that there's this little small clique of big teams, and the rest are just bobbins.  But I suppose, without opening a whole can of nationalistic worms, the same could be said of La Liga.

• Tchuck likes this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:34 AM Edited by Eutyphro, 04 August 2017 - 12:35 AM.

£200m is just f*cking silly.

I know City are guilty of splashing stupid amounts of money on players, but going as far as that?!?

If you can pay 58 million euros for a left back (Mendy), then 200 million for an attacker doesn't seem so special. And I'm sure Neymar's transfer record is going to be broken some day by a bigger talent. I'm actually a great fan of Mendy. He's a beastly left back that will dominate the Premier League. He's like a better version of Maicon.

But I suppose, without opening a whole can of nationalistic worms, the same could be said of La Liga.

The evidence is kind of on the side of the La Liga teams though, considering Spanish teams like Villarreal and Sevilla have also consistently outperformed English teams on the European level. Spanish teams in general have consistently been strongly outperforming English teams on the European level the last few years.

I'm not sure the low ranked Spanish teams are worse in quality than the English teams. The English teams are generally wealthier though. The main difference seems to be that lower ranked Premier League teams are very physically tough, which the Spanish teams aren't.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

£200m. £111m higher than last years world record fee. Football, bloody hell. Gonna be exciting to see what Barca do with the cash, and equally exciting to see how PSG do in the Champions League over the next few years. They've got the squad now, it would be a huge failure to not win it within the next three years.

• Tchuck likes this

cactus.
  • cactus.

king sh*t of f*ck mountain

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

is anyone renewing the GTAF fantasy league this year? or should we create a new one? deadline's fast approaching! 

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

is anyone renewing the GTAF fantasy league this year? or should we create a new one? deadline's fast approaching!

I would like to see Neymar lead his own team without Messi but that's as far as my interest in that transfer goes. I'd rather he'd move to another big league than go to Ligue 1 (and I say that as someone who regularly watches Ligue 1 and enjoys it). 

I've created a fantasy league for GTAF, for those who wanted to join. Get involved!

120582-274348

cactus.
  • cactus.

king sh*t of f*ck mountain

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

thanks. i did scour the sports forum for any recent fantasy topics, so i'm not just lazily asking, this time  :lol:  shame the original creator of the gtaf league didn't just renew it, otherwise we'd have like 50 people automatically reentered. 

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:48 PM

Well that was a quiet start to the season, only 7 goals in that one.

• Eutyphro likes this

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• Members
  • France

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:37 PM Edited by dante財閥, 13 August 2017 - 06:37 PM.

Started slow as per typical Spurs, but looked nice and disciplined today. My poor 'Arry hitting the post :(.

Stray observations about the first weekend of the season and transfer rumours:
  • Liverpool desperately need a defensive leader still
  • City looked composed but not exactly impressive, same goes for Spurs
  • Once again there is inner turmoil at Chelsea, and once again it is board linked. Those guys know how to win, but they don't know what to do when they get there.
  • Kyle Walker Peters looked miles better than he did in pre-season, still giving him MOTM was over generous. Should have gone to Christian Eriksen.
  • The thinner Eriksen's hair gets the more powerful he becomes.
  • United look swash buckling and strong, but they did after a few games last season as well. It's too early for the hot takes.
  • There's no chance Spurs land Martial cause we can't afford his wages.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

City really disappointed me. That 3-5-2 they played played incredibly boring football, and barely created chances against a team that wasn't really fighting back. If they keep playing this system they'll start getting bad results quite soon. Concerning Chelsea, I wouldn't make such fast conclusions after a game where they played with ten men after 13 minutes. United is really coming together as a team now that they can build on Matic. What a great buy.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

Gaaaaaawd damn, this Super Cup game was f*cking amazing. Horrible refereeing that constantly favored Barcelona but in the end Madrid pulled through and humiliated them in their home with two wonderful goals! I love it when things play out this way. Referee was a complete moron who awarded Barcelona a penalty when Suarez dived but sent off Ronaldo for diving even though there was more contact. My hatred for Barcelona never ceases to decrease, only gets worse. A bunch of dirty c*nts they are, trying to start fights repeatedly to get players sent off.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

Neymar kicking off the season with a goal and an assist; Barcelona kicking it off with a defeat despite help from the ref. Heh.

Neymar looking promising with the freedom he'll begin to receive at PSG. I think him and Cavani will end up blending terribly well.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:08 AM

Gaaaaaawd damn, this Super Cup game was f*cking amazing. Horrible refereeing that constantly favored Barcelona but in the end Madrid pulled through and humiliated them in their home with two wonderful goals! I love it when things play out this way. Referee was a complete moron who awarded Barcelona a penalty when Suarez dived but sent off Ronaldo for diving even though there was more contact. My hatred for Barcelona never ceases to decrease, only gets worse. A bunch of dirty c*nts they are, trying to start fights repeatedly to get players sent off.

The Suarez dive was clearly an actual dive. It was actually such a natural looking dive that I understand the referee was fooled. You would've needed a really good angle to see the fall was not caused by contact but was purposeful. The Ronaldo one in my estimation was not a dive. It was not a foul either, but Ronaldo just lost his balance. But anyway, great goal by Ronaldo. What a striker he is. And Asensio is also a great player.

• Tchuck and Flesh-n-Bone like this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

Asensio will end his career with at least one Ballon d'Or, of that I'm sure. Ridiculously talented player and he was bought for peanuts in todays market - Madrid's transfer business over the past four or five years has been redonkulous man.

Great start to the season for United though, looked more like a proper Mourinho team than we did last year. Do hope we can bring in one or two more players though, if Mkhi or Mata get injured again we'll lose a bit of spark from the wings like we did last season when they were out.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

Barça just sold Neymar and they are buying football players that don't live to the standards of what media and FCB fans expect. I thing that black days for FC Barcelona are going to come and i might have a theory going on here. I think that for whatever reason, FC Barcelona is in financial trouble and they sold Neymar to pay debt. I know this might sound stupid or unrealistic however, could make sense if you look it up in a financial perspective; Why is a team that needs new good players is not spending the 200m€ PSG payed FCB? I mean let's face it, Players like: Arda Turan, Paco Alcacer, Thomas Vermalen, Aleix Vidal and Andre Gomes not being sold or replaced? Andres Iniesta for example, he is 33 years old and he is not as good as 5 years back. He was worth 70m€ back in 2013 now he is worth around 30m€ according to Transfermarkt.com. I am not saying he is talentless, i am saying that he is getting old and FCB should find another midfielder so Iniesta could play only one half time.

So this brings me to the main question here, Is Barcelona in debt? and if so, what caused this?

Unless it comes out to the public, we will never know.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

The players that have the quality to play the game Barcelona wants to play don't want to go to Barcelona. Thiago left Barca for Bayern and doesn't want to come. Verratti doesn't seem to want to go to Barca. And yes, Iniesta is getting too old. He is getting exposed increasingly often because he has gotten very slow and can't keep up with the tempo. Meanwhile, Real is hording quality midfield players, with Kovacic on the bench. There are only a very select few midfielders skilled enough to replace a player like Iniesta, and none of them seem to want to play for Barcelona at the moment. Barca definitely seems in trouble.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

Unfortunately, players play where they get offered more money (Not all of course, but a big majority do). Maybe they don't want to go to FCB because they are not getting offered enough money. Remember that FUN unlike many English and French teams, is NOT owned by a rich billionaire or a massive corporation. Did they run out of money? Who knows.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

Wouldn't be unreasonable to think that they are going through financial issues. Keeping MSN for so many years surely wasn't cheap, specially with "only" a single Champions League and two La Liga added to the tally. Money from Neymar will certainly help alleviate the situation. Will be hard to bring in talent to replace Neymar/improve the team since everyone's prices have inflated massively. 

What happened to La Masia? I think Thiago Alcantara and maybe Sergi Roberto were the last ones to show promise, and that was 5 years ago easily. Has the talent dried up?

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:46 AM Edited by Flesh-n-Bone, 16 August 2017 - 03:48 AM.

Barcelona actually had no choice with Neymar. He paid them his release clause (obviously funded by PSG's Qatar backing but eh) and was freed from the contract.

As far as their situation, the fans are putting it all on Bartomeu.They accuse him of putting his self interests before the team and being corrupt (as if his predecessors are squeaky clean) and the Paulinho buy from China is hinting in that direction as being done purely for business reasons. They appear to be crumbling and entering a dark age again. Right now with Neymar gone this late in the transfer window, they are attempting panic buys and putting huge bids on players like Coutinho and Ousmane Dembelle but the clubs are hesitant to sell because despite all the money, they will be the ones lacking a key player and don't have the time left to find a replacement. Therefore, no one wants to sell world class players and Barca are locked in this situation. Their hands are also tied by financial limitations. Before the Neymar transfer, they only had 80-90 million to buy players this window. Part of it is because of their f*cked up wage structure. MSN (now minus Neymar) have massive contracts and many of the failed purchases like Arda and Gomes also are on hefty wages.

And lastly, as it's evident with Iniesta's decline, their golden generation of La Masia is fading away with age and they haven't been able to replace them adequately. They still haven't found a player of Xavi's caliber in his spot and that's in part to their board's incompetence. They had a homegrown talent in Thiago but let him go to Bayern and now they are struggling because they hit the jackpot once and now La Masia is not producing players of the same level. It doesn't help matters that Enrique completely neglected them and they are being snatched by other teams who pay their very small release clauses which leaves Barcelona empty handed on many fronts. They are risking ending up like Milan with their team aging and failing to replace them with fresh young talent. Things aren't looking good for them once Messi is finished and I'm loving it!

In contrast, Real Madrid have made a turn around. Instead of buying Galactico stars every year, Perez saw the change in the sport with rich companies and entrepreneurs taking over clubs (Man City, PSG, recently Milan) and accepted that financially Real wont be able to compete with them so he's now focusing on youth talent instead and it's paying off big time. Along with buying promising young talent like Isco, Asensio and Ceballos, Real is also making way for many academy talent to step up and it has been working pretty well with the likes Carvajal and Vazquez being shining examples.

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:05 AM

Real was a lot smarter with their purchases that's for sure. Casemiro turned out to be a wonderful talent (which some of us Sao Paulo fans always knew and hated the president for letting him go so cheap), Real spend the big bucks in getting the base solid team with stars, and then worked on getting talent on a bargain. Asensio was what, 4m? 30m for each Isco, Kroos, Kovacic, Modric... Looking at today's market, total bargains.

And with that, they have a very solid team of stars, and can start playing their talented youth as well to give them some mileage. 

Whereas Barca just got stuck in time. They had their front 3, which were amazing, but couldn't really supplement the losses elsewhere. Looks like we'll see Real dominating La Liga for the next couple of years at least. 

Bare
  • Bare

fat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

barcelona falling apart what a beautiful time for football

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:32 AM Edited by Jason, 16 August 2017 - 12:01 PM.

They didn't choose to sell Neymar, but if I recall Barca aren't financially a powerhouse, not on the levels of Madrid, PSG or English teams. Their wage bill is like a ridiculous 60% of their revenue or something along those lines, mainly because their front 3 (MSN) was on an absolute fortune, notably Messi who has crippled their wage structure. Neymar going should free up enough to get one or two top players though, the issue is Barca being willing to spend cause teams will want big big money from them.

• Tchuck likes this

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

They didn't choose to sell Neymar, but if I recall Barca aren't financially a powerhouse, not on the levels of Madrid, PSG or English teams. Their wage bill is like a ridiculous 60% of their revenue or something along those lines, mainly because their front 3 (MSN) was on an absolute fortune, notably Messi who has crippled their wage structure. Neymar going should free up enough to get one or two top players though, the issue is Barca being willing to spend cause teams will want big big money from them.

Barca only have themselves to blame. The way the dealt with Neymar was amateurish. His father received - what was it again?- 26 million for the contract extension. For this sum they should've demanded a larger release clause, there was always the risk that one one the sheikh clubs would trigger it. The way they acquired Neymar back then was questionable enough.

And yeah they have been blowing too much money on wages, not only MSN, but on the "average" players they bought too.

I've seen/heard enough reports that Barca's current board is incompetent and shady/corrupt, it certainly looks that way. Look at their recent dealings - Verrati and now Dembele and Coutinho speaks volumes. Meanwhile they bought Paulinho for 40 m €. How they drove off Thiago was also shambolic.

Barca's golden days are over indeed if they continue this way.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

Wouldn't be unreasonable to think that they are going through financial issues. Keeping MSN for so many years surely wasn't cheap, specially with "only" a single Champions League and two La Liga added to the tally. Money from Neymar will certainly help alleviate the situation. Will be hard to bring in talent to replace Neymar/improve the team since everyone's prices have inflated massively. 

What happened to La Masia? I think Thiago Alcantara and maybe Sergi Roberto were the last ones to show promise, and that was 5 years ago easily. Has the talent dried up?

I live a few miles away La Masia and trust me, They have dismantled "La Masia" youth project long ago. Mainly for two reasons:

Reason nº1:

- They had a great solid team so they didn't had the urge to find more youth talent and promote them to their first team. So their "B" team was kind of like a "Buy cheap  - Sell expensive business", let me explain: They invested very little money on preparing kids in their youth system. They got young players that could make it to a First division level and sold them. Just look at players like:

Marc Muniesa: Made it to Stoke City now plays Girona FC

Isaac Cuenca: Plays for Hapoel Be'er Sheva in the Israeli league

Sandro Ramirez: Signed for Everton this season

Gerard Gumbau: Signed for Leganes FC

Christian Tello: Plays for Betis now

Gai Assulin: ("The Israeli new Messi") Plays for my team in Second Division B

Jonathan dos Santos: Left to play in LA Galaxy

Munir: They don't count on him and want him to leave.

Dongou: A superb African player and... He ends up playing in Real Zaragoza in Second Division

Samper: Ends up playing in relegated Granada FC

Adama Traore: Same like Dongou but ends up in Middlesbrough

And the list goes on and on.

Reason nº2:

Parents want their kids to end up succeeding in football and after seeing that FC Barcelona just doesn't give a chance, even if you are capable of making it to the first team, they are stopping signing up their kids to the Barça youth system. I know many parents who are Barça fans and are signing their kids to play in local teams or even the Espanyol youth system (Which currently has like 6 players in the first team that came from the Espanyol youth system). take Marco Asensio for example, do you think he could have made it this far if he came from the youth system in the years of 2010-2016? No.

Also, FCB is buying other players from other countries or teams for their B team. It's not like before where they had players from Barcelona or the suburbs like Xavi, Busquets, Puyol, Victor Valdes...

barcelona falling apart what a beautiful time for football

I can't deny i am happy about this.

FC Barcelona is not a powerhouse because they are a "fan based club". They don't have a rich Sheikh or a huge corporation behind them that puts millions of euros each year. Madrid however, has a very rich President that is chairman of one of the most important construction companies in Spain and probably in Europe as well, even if they are a fan based team like FCB.

Barca only have themselves to blame. The way the dealt with Neymar was amateurish. His father received - what was it again?- 26 million for the contract extension. For this sum they should've demanded a larger release clause, there was always the risk that one one the sheikh clubs would trigger it. The way they acquired Neymar back then was questionable enough.

And yeah they have been blowing too much money on wages, not only MSN, but on the "average" players they bought too.

I've seen/heard enough reports that Barca's current board is incompetent and shady/corrupt, it certainly looks that way. Look at their recent dealings - Verrati and now Dembele and Coutinho speaks volumes. Meanwhile they bought Paulinho for 40 m €. How they drove off Thiago was also shambolic.

Barca's golden days are over indeed if they continue this way.

Barça has been involved with politics too much. To the point where many of the executives are linked to political parties Pro-Independence that are currently under investigation for corruption scandals. It wouldn't surprise me if Catalan Nationalist parties have received money to fund their political campaigns at some point.

• Tchuck, Eutyphro and Jason like this

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:27 PM Edited by Flesh-n-Bone, 16 August 2017 - 11:27 PM.

And a comfortable 2-0 for the second leg that could've been much worse for Barcelona had Zidane not instructed them to take it easy in the second half!

Barcelona is in absolute shambles right now and it's so wonderful to watch. Madrid's midfield absolutely toyed with them. Successive back heel passes and other cool one-on-one skills done like a piece of cake. And Asensio put the exclamation point with another amazing strike, very similar to his first goal last season against Sevilla in the Europa Super Cup. All that done without Ronaldo, Bale or Isco playing.

• Tchuck likes this

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

And a comfortable 2-0 for the second leg that could've been much worse for Barcelona had Zidane not instructed them to take it easy in the second half!

Barcelona is in absolute shambles right now and it's so wonderful to watch. Madrid's midfield absolutely toyed with them. Successive back heel passes and other cool one-on-one skills done like a piece of cake. And Asensio put the exclamation point with another amazing strike, very similar to his first goal last season against Sevilla in the Europa Super Cup. All that done without Ronaldo, Bale or Isco playing.

Is it true that Barca had the chance to sign Asensio for 4 m €, but wanted to pay it in installments, so Real jumped in and bought him outright? Would be another example of tremendous stupidity, even a blind man could see this kid has serious talent.

Their starting line-up yesterday:

Ter Stegen - Mascherano (32), Piqué (30), Umtiti - Busquets (29) - Roberto, Rakitic (29), Gomes, Alba (28) - Messi (30), Suarez (30)

Nearly all their key players are around 30, their younger signings obviously aren't good enough. They'd need a real overhaul, I don't think a player like Dembele would fix them.

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • Romania
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

I'm afraid this is really a bad moment in whatever Barcelona supposedly represents. Unfortunately, as much as it hurts, you guys are right. I do believe that the downfall had taken place long ago though, back in 2011/2012 when Guardiola resigned. Truth be told, ever since the defensive side of Barcelona had gone down once and for all. I don't know how, but many things changed to the worse right after Guardiola left. He might be hated now by certain people, but his work at Barcelona is immense. I still remember when we signed Alex Song which was one of the many problems that were to follow. Back then everything was on Messi's shoulders, so each time he was unfit or unable to play, Barcelona crumbled, and terribly. We did have quite a few good signings ever since, like Neymar, Jordi Alba, Claudio Bravo, Rakitic, I cannot deny it, but a piece of what Barcelona meant 6 years ago was never found again. 

The way it is right now, it looks like every season we lose one of the strong, really strong pillows that constructed the glorious age of this team. We lost an aging Puyol in 2014, then Xavi next year, then Dani Alves, then Neymar, and from the looks of it, Iniesta won't stick for more that maximum two more seasons at best, most probably retiring somewhere in 2020, if he'll stick for the Euro. Messi is aging, Busquets as well, and we simply don't find anything good. I am bitter we let Sandro go, let alone Neymar. I still cannot understand how that deal could have taken place, why he didn't have a one billion release clause, like Real Madrid's front trio do, why did this happen? 

I am not sure if we can pick ourselves up, and quite honestly, I am more terrified that we're wasting Messi's last peak years with stupid signings and players like Paulinho or Andre Gomes. Barcelona will eventually pick itself up, be it even in 5 years, but Messi won't be playing much longer, he deserves at least one good season, so maybe he would be able to be fit for next year's World Cup. But that's another story.

Bartomeu might be indeed behind all this, I am not sure. I am not sure if changing him will make a difference, maybe in a year or two from now. Currently, our last hope for a decent season is to sign Coutinho. I don't really know Dembele that much, didn't see him play that often. I don't deny his qualities, but I know that Coutinho would be a good deal considering he's coming from England, like some other majorly successful signings over the years coming from there, like Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Luka Modric, Luis Suarez or even Javier Mascherano.

On the other side, I still hold some optimism. If we do indeed manage to sign Coutinho, we could still be able to make wonders this season. I remember back in the 2014/2015 season when we couldn't transfer anyone, and we had also an aging Xavi, we lost Puyol, but we did do some good signings, like Rakitic, Claudio Bravo or Luis Suarez. Who knows, with all this money from Neymar, we should be able to transfer Coutinho and Dembele. Though I would have honestly preferred Veratti instead of Dembele, but anything will do.

• Tchuck likes this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

To be fair - and I know there's a lot of politics involved regarding Barca - but football is a game of cycles. No team stays at the top for ever, no matter how great they were, they age, decline, and fall. Barca's has been so spectacular because everybody still remembers just how special they were, the Sextuple team was one of if not the greatest club sides ever assembled, the insane goal scoring records from Messi, etc etc. They were always going to come back down to Earth eventually, but given how high they were the fall was going to be a bit more explosive than what we're used to.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:42 PM

Is it true that Barca had the chance to sign Asensio for 4 m €, but wanted to pay it in installments, so Real jumped in and bought him outright? Would be another example of tremendous stupidity, even a blind man could see this kid has serious talent.

Yes. it's true. Laughable that they would do something like that. Such a bargain for a player with all this talent.

And the cracks have been showing in Barcelona's squad since Guardiola left. They had their dominant run in 2009-11 but they have been on a continuous decline for the past 5 years. First Guardiola left, then they continued relying on the same players without planning for the future and now they're seeing the aftereffects. Xavi and Puyol gone, Iniesta on his last legs, Messi, Pique and Busquets getting older, neglecting their academy products and getting further away from the philosophy that made them the top team. The first signs were there when Bayern embarrassed them 7-0 in 2013. But then they got a few good signings like Neymar, Suarez and Rakitic which led to the treble when their front three were on fire for a year. But halfway through Enrique's second season, they started running out of steam and this summer has been hardly kind to them. Neymar just suddenly leaving and they have no plan B as he was supposed to be the heir to Messi. The window is closing and they are in danger of having another bad season. It also hasn't helped at all that they've signed so many flops in the past few years. Word is that Messi hasn't even re-signed a new contract and only had a "verbal agreement". If the board stays, it wouldn't be a surprise if he decided that he's had enough and leave completely. It's a bad state that will take a few years to completely recover from and Messi will not get any younger so maybe he'd rather spent his last few years at top level in a squad matching his talent rather than wasting it away in Barcelona rebuilding the team.

• Tchuck likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users