Photo

One thing IV did better than V

36 replies to this topic
Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Is making the city feel bigger. Michael has had a lot cutscenes in his house and felt much more at home, while Niko was not used to the place and always on the go, from place to place. IV had pit stops in every location to utilize the map correctly, V didn't need to do that because all characters had root in LS. Trevor seemed to know LS well, and besides, he wasn't very far away.
  • Miamivicecity, Shenmue18, 2281 and 6 others like this

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Mélomanie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:03 AM Edited by Fallcreek, 08 May 2014 - 01:05 AM.

I don't know, IV did a few things better than V when looking back.. I mean, the driving physics felt more dynamic in IV than V imo, the story was IMMENSELY better in IV than V (widely agreed upon), Pedesterian physical interaction was better in IV than V (fights lasted longer instead of the Worldstar sh*t we got lol, and they actually tried to stay on their feet when they got bumped into instead of falling on their ass) to name a few. 

• na89340qv0n34b09q340, StormerBoy, lazy. and 5 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:23 AM

I think ped interaction was a bit better in V, seeing as you could actually talk to them. Not only that, but the shooting/cover was much more better and fluid.

• kipakolonyasi and EM_JAY_86 like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

THERE IS NO CHEESE AT THE END OF THIS MAZE. ONLY ASSF*CK.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:53 AM

I think ped interaction was a bit better in V, seeing as you could actually talk to them. 

Yeah. You can say "hello" or "f*ck you", not exactly Skyrim or Mass Effect...

• Miamivicecity, Shenmue18, na89340qv0n34b09q340 and 3 others like this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:10 AM

I liked nearly everything in GTA IV more than GTA V. Besides the graphics and the cover system being better, there's nothing I prefer in GTA V over IV.

• Miamivicecity, StormerBoy, lazy. and 4 others like this

ManikB141
  • ManikB141

Some Guy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

I like IV's graphics more than V's, you only get a hint of the bullet's path in IV whereas you can see every single one in V, it's not subtle at all.

• StormerBoy likes this

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

I like IV's graphics more than V's, you only get a hint of the bullet's path in IV whereas you can see every single one in V, it's not subtle at all.

Well, the graphics do look better on the PC version of IV though (from personal experience).

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:25 PM Edited by kvic, 08 May 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#1 the story the two can not compare # 2 the atmosphere playing IV gave me the sense that maybe GTA was heading towards a more serious but still humorous game.And of course # 3 the driving and car physics.

Sorry I couldn't have just one. :lol: 

• StormerBoy likes this

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:54 PM Edited by Bi0ha2ard_q8, 08 May 2014 - 12:55 PM.

Realistic bullet paths, one of the things rockstar sacrificed for Online, Its so distracting. 

I also liked how in IV pedestrians freakout when you pull a weapon out. In V peds are cool with RPG's being pulled out. 

But their reaction is inconsistent, I would be standing somewhere doing nothing (Franklin) and people would suddenly freak out and call the cops.

Niko talked when he bumped into people, he said sorry or watch out, and peds reacted with one liners that fit the themes of the game, like "fu*kin' immigrants".

The one cool thing about V's pedestrians is that they sometimes tell you a random thing when you say hi, almost exclusive to Michael it seems. Never Trevor.

I also like how Trevor was treated like a leper, almost begging you to go on a rampage.

Giles Flaggot 1
  • Giles Flaggot 1

Giles Flaggot 1

• Members

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hood / bonnet camera view

They decided to shift my favorite camera view to the left in order to create a sense of freshness to the game

Centre was perfect but they had to ruin it unfortunately :/
Hood / bonnet camera view

They decided to shift my favorite camera view to the left in order to create a sense of freshness to the game

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

I think ped interaction was a bit better in V, seeing as you could actually talk to them. 

You could say that in IV multiplayer:

'Hey. How's it going? WASUP? Hows it hanging?'

When beating people up:

'Go f*ck yourself with a machete! Whoop some ass!'

Damn I miss my tattoo face character.

Im2akillerfish
  • Im2akillerfish

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

In IV, I actually feel Niko is just a random person, one of the thousands of people in Liberty city. In V, I always feel that the protagonist I'm playing as is the center of the universe, that he is the most important character in the map. This is what makes LC seem bigger than it really is. Niko/Johnny/Luis is just one of the many criminals of LC. Part of the city.

• JamalG, Bi0ha2ard_q8, Drunken Cowboy and 2 others like this

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

In IV, I actually feel Niko is just a random person, one of the thousands of people in Liberty city. In V, I always feel that the protagonist I'm playing as is the center of the universe, that he is the most important character in the map. This is what makes LC seem bigger than it really is. Niko/Johnny/Luis is just one of the many criminals of LC. Part of the city.

Yeah...wow you are right!

LC just felt like a criminal cesspit, that's a good thing in GTA. Maybe because there are so many criminal organizations in LC that actually have roles in the story.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:13 AM Edited by Official General, 09 May 2014 - 03:13 AM.

IV does many things better than V.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

THERE IS NO CHEESE AT THE END OF THIS MAZE. ONLY ASSF*CK.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

You could say that in IV multiplayer:

'Hey. How's it going? WASUP? Hows it hanging?'

When beating people up:

'Go f*ck yourself with a machete! Whoop some ass!'

Damn I miss my tattoo face character.

Yeah. The random ped greetings were bound to a key.

"Hola amigo! What's shakin'? Go eat your mom's ass!"

About as detailed as V. But I could care less about being able to talk to peds in either game.

• Distrom likes this

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

Tape Is Love, Tape Is Life

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:04 AM

Driving physics, nuff said

• lazy. likes this

doggydude98
  • doggydude98

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

iv and v both had great characters, maps, story, physics, graphics and many more. Find it hard to pick between the 2.

Yolo Swaggins
  • Yolo Swaggins

P.E.M.D.A.S.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

I love them both so much. If only someone would take both of these games and combine the best elements from each one to make a Grand Theft Auto IX.

• Im2akillerfish likes this

ManikB141
  • ManikB141

Some Guy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:55 PM

To be completely honest, GTA IV was overall a better game, the only thing GTA V's brought us is better vehicles, weapons and a larger map. I'd also have to say I've enjoyed San Andreas ALOT better than Liberty City, LC got old fast. But GTA IV's story, graphics, characters and more were much more interesting, it's simply a better quality game.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

Driving physics,handling,whatever you want to call it.
  • lazy. likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

I personally loved the new camera angle, but then again, R* sucks for not making OPTIONS!

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:32 AM Edited by Lazyboy., 11 May 2014 - 10:33 AM.

Driving physics, first and most important thing.

Second is guns having more impact. Although V had better shooting animations and more "control", in IV your bullets felt more like they actually killed someone. Like, when you've got a shotgun and you shoot someone in the face with it, they go flying backwards.

IV had better multiplayer modes too, and I could really enjoy public freemodes with friends, because of the "free" aspect of it. It was fun to cruise around with friends, wait for someone to fire on you and then have a big war with them, running through the city to survive since you wanted to keep all that ammo you collected. The only thing I didn't like is the lack of people playing free-aim.

And of course, driving physics. When people try and chase you around the city but at the end of the day they can't, because they can't drive. That's the majority of people who like V handling. Upset they couldn't keep up with people who put some time into the game. :p
  • android and nobum62 like this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Second is guns having more impact. Although V had better shooting animations and more "control", in IV your bullets felt more like they actually killed someone. Like, when you've got a shotgun and you shoot someone in the face with it, they go flying backwards.

This I definitely agree with. The blood effects are a step backwards as well. RDR and MP3's were perfect, don't understand why they just didn't go with them. The blood in GTA V looks like cranberry juice.

• nobum62 likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

This I definitely agree with. The blood effects are a step backwards as well. RDR and MP3's were perfect, don't understand why they just didn't go with them. The blood in GTA V looks like cranberry juice.

I love the 'force' from shotguns in IV/TLAD, especially with the Sawn-off or Street-Sweeper, you can blast their bodies all over the pavement.

• Miamivicecity, G.S.T and A-Wax8 like this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

I love the 'force' from shotguns in IV/TLAD, especially with the Sawn-off or Street-Sweeper, you can blast their bodies all over the pavement.

I still remember the satisfaction I got the first time I violently blasted someone away with a Sawn-Off or a Street-Sweeper in TLAD. Mowing down people with the Combat Shotgun in GTA V is satisfying enough, but why is there so little blood spray from it? And what's with the "Sawed-Off Shotgun" being named as such when it's just a standard Pump-Action like the one from GTA IV? At least you can fire it on motorcycles, but it's much less effective than GTA IV's.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

I much prefer the cityscape and overall layout of LC over LS, they did manage to make it feel big whilst in reality it really wasn't that big. 

• Miamivicecity, Official General, Distrom and 1 other like this

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:53 PM Edited by blackrooster_, 15 May 2014 - 05:37 AM.

Driving physics, first and most important thing.

IV had better multiplayer modes too, and I could really enjoy public freemodes with friends, because of the "free" aspect of it. It was fun to cruise around with friends, wait for someone to fire on you and then have a big war with them, running through the city to survive since you wanted to keep all that ammo you collected. The only thing I didn't like is the lack of people playing free-aim.

And of course, driving physics. When people try and chase you around the city but at the end of the day they can't, because they can't drive. That's the majority of people who like V handling. Upset they couldn't keep up with people who put some time into the game. :p

I totally agree with all of this. A bunch of my buddies who used to play GTA IV's Mafiya Work played V for a while and then already left … and we're talking guys who played 3-4 hours a day on IV. They're beginning to migrate back to IV here and there, so that's good.

It sounds strange to say, but IV's limited multiplayer modes actually made the game better because you'd get people who played nothing but a specific mode, be it Mafiya Work, CNC, Free Mode or … well, was there anything else? ;-) Seriously, though, you'd get into rooms with players who had logged thousands of hours learning the intricacies of the map, what each car could and couldn't do, how to complete a specific mission, etc. … and it would be a huge competition, often nail-biting at times. But with so many options and missions only lasting a short amount of time, the competition between groups in V is almost nil.

Other things that were better in IV include … 

In addition to being forced to learn how to drive, you had to know the map well enough to avoid flipping over … which isn't a problem in V.

The helicopter control is okay in V, but you can't do any tricks like flipping cars around. In the same vein, you can't have Joust-inspired air duels … I loved going up against three or four Mavericks at once, but that's not possible anymore. Sigh.

The grenade's blast radius in V sucks. It was a cool skill to have in IV … driving by someone while you charge up a grenade, drop it, then switch the camera view to watch them blow up. But with such a fast car, the annoying clicking in lieu of beeping, and the smaller blast radius, getting a hit like that is much harder, to the point where it's often too frustrating to try.

I miss how IV would let you get invited by a friend to a different game while you were waiting for one to start. Heck, you didn't even have to go back to Freemode to jump from one lobby to the next … imagine that.

And of course, you end up limiting your fun because weapons cost money. I played a friend's capture yesterday and we must have each spent $20k or more on bullets, grenades, and rockets -- actually, it was probably closer to $30k -- only to end up making $7000 or so. Plus, I liked that you could only carry 8 rockets in IV. 20 rockets is too much. Plus, if you forget to buy them or simply run out, you can't pick up more.

Those are only a few things. Mostly, IV was just so much more fun for me. A lot of V has been nerfed, yet some of it has been oversimplified for people who -- as you said -- don't take the time to really learn how to play. IV had such a nice learning curve that you got rewarded for learning every little nuance about the game. Not so much in V. 

• Miamivicecity, B Dawg, Mr.Wr0ng and 2 others like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:42 PM Edited by B Dawg, 14 May 2014 - 04:43 PM.

It still could have benefited from a few more game modes and improvements to some (leaving out vehicles from Free Mode/Race/ChopperVSChopper, wtf were they thinking? Hellfury not being unavailable in IVMP at all, the Zombie being only available in Race and not in TLMC colors, the Dukes being unavailable in TLAD MP Race, etc.)

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

To be completely honest, GTA IV was overall a better game, the only thing GTA V's brought us is better vehicles, weapons and a larger map. I'd also have to say I've enjoyed San Andreas ALOT better than Liberty City, LC got old fast. But GTA IV's story, graphics, characters and more were much more interesting, it's simply a better quality game.

R* mistake was adding 3 characters.
Yes it's a great feature, but I feel the story could a been more developed with just one protag.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

IV definitely has better driving mechanics. I mean, V just feels stripped down when it comes to driving physics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users