Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Native Son was a sh*tty piece of work.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Does the Anne Frank diary count? 'cause that was a good waste of time that could've been spent watching paint dry

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:15 PM Edited by elanman, 06 May 2014 - 11:35 AM.

Does the Anne Frank diary count? 'cause that was a good waste of time that could've been spent watching paint dry

What did you expect? It's the diary of a thirteen year old girl.

It's not exciting, but it is a great exemplar of the fortitude and resilience that humanity can have at the worst of times. It is also an excellent source to learn about the lives of assimilated Jews in hiding during the Holocaust. Furthermore, the young Miss Frank wrote with an eloquence unbeknownst to the youth of our generation.

Boring? Certainly. The young author never intended for her diary to be published and she states as much at the start. However, I feel that this is one of the books that must be taught in schools, as it gives us a rare window into the lives of those who hid from the horror of the Nazi regime and truly brings to life the personalities and humanity of the people who faced persecution and destruction. Miss Frank's final entry, one of hope at the end of the war, is truly heartbreaking, as even she, strongest of spirits, could not escape the Final Solution.

Her diary begins as a lighthearted account of the life of a young girl in the flower of her youth and progresses into a sobering exposition of the perpetual fear and monotony of hiding from the Nazis, occasionally brightened by the young Miss Frank's inspiring hopefulness, positive attitude and written flair. Ultimately, knowing that this young girl, this gifted, innocent girl, unsullied by the evil of her day, died long before her time--in abject conditions--is harrowing. That she was one of millions to die in the Holocaust brings to light what a crime against humanity it was--woe to he who says otherwise. 

The only consolation is that some of her spirit remains alive through her writing. 

That you found the book boring is understandable; that you found the book a "a waste of time" is not.
  • Marwin Moody, 018361, Luna Fortuna and 3 others like this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:43 PM Edited by OH NO, 06 May 2014 - 05:47 PM.

Lord of the flies is amazing.

Most boring..can't remember, think it was one of the hannibal series where you could tell it was knocked out to fill a contract quota, abysmal.

Also the definitie book of english football tactics with foreward by graham taylor.
  • Failure and vertical limit like this

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Ok guys, which book should I read first, One Hundred Years of Solitude, or Naked Lunch?

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

“Scientific Progress goes boink?”

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:28 PM Edited by SingularSoul, 07 May 2014 - 08:33 PM.

Honestly?

Harry Potter.

Quite possibly the most over-hyped, overrated book series of all time.

I'd recommend Lord of The Flies, Any of Lee Child's books, a few Steven King novels, EVERY SINGLE Lord Of The Rings book, and the cream of the crop;

I Am David by Anne Holm.

A phenomenal read, even from the perspective of an Atheist.

• Failure and Panz like this

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Every single book is boring as hell, except the ones with bunch of hot women in it, either than that I wish I could burn every single book.

I feel like Ray Bradbury would like a word with you...

Who's Ray Bradbury ? Is he famous or what.

I sincerely feel sorry for you. Sincerely.

• Mr Scratch, Lochie, Funkjunky and 1 other like this

Seluryar
  • Seluryar

Pilot For Hire

• Members

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

any math book from school

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

I've never read a boring book. Only welfare queens find reading books boring.

banzai-qe-welfare-queen-dimon-blankfein-

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:39 AM

Ok guys, which book should I read first, One Hundred Years of Solitude, or Naked Lunch?

The one that's not Naked Lunch. I read the Wikipedia page for the other one and it sounds interesting. Naked Lunch is not interesting.

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Returning Member 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2013
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

The Scarlett Letter was a tough one for me to get through, but I was in high school at the time. Maybe I'll try it again someti-...nah.

I also agree that the Harry Potter series is completely overrated. I've tried to read through the first book at least 2 or 3 times now, but I find it really dull. 

• Lochie and SingularSoul like this

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

I gave up on Harry Potter after the fourth one, I think it was Goblet of Fire? Most boring book I've read, hmm... If you asked me when I was 17 I would have told you Catcher in the Rye, but a year after high school that book finally clicked with me and Holden's plight made much more sense. I would have to say anything I had to do at work for ISO20000 certification, change and release management is f*cking terribly boring.

• Doc Rikowski and SingularSoul like this

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Lord of the flies is amazing.

Lord of The Flies might be my favourite novel of all time. I loved every bit of it! It is strange that you just recently mentioned it because just hours before, I bought the hardcover version of the book. This is something I do with books that have had some sort of impact on me.

Most boring book for me that I ever read was probably Steve Jobs. 

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

Every single book is boring as hell, except the ones with bunch of hot women in it, either than that I wish I could burn every single book.

You ma hero, dude.

• THE GHETTO JEZUS likes this

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

Lingerie catalogues are not books.
  • Mister Pink and Mr Scratch like this

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

The Qur'an. What a load of unintelligible crap. The Bible is at least fun to read like a collection of fairy tales. The Qur'an could only ever appeal to a complete and utter moron.

Can I recommend a book? If so, please go read Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce. You will not be disappointed.

so I'm a f*cking moron just because I read Qur'an? well f*ck you too.

And the Qur'an never thought you to say 'f*ck' either. Just live with it, there are alot of Atheists in the forums.

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

The Qur'an. What a load of unintelligible crap. The Bible is at least fun to read like a collection of fairy tales. The Qur'an could only ever appeal to a complete and utter moron.

Can I recommend a book? If so, please go read Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce. You will not be disappointed.

so I'm a f*cking moron just because I read Qur'an? well f*ck you too.

And the Qur'an never thought you to say 'f*ck' either. Just live with it, there are alot of Atheists in the forums.

Qur'an never told us to "never swear" :p

I could've ignore it if he didn't say "it only appeals to morons". so that means millions of people are morons. its like saying "atheism only appeals to brainless morons". would you [or him] stand it? of course not.

Same here. just different religion/belief.

• ExtremoMania and Detective Phelps like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Antic Hay by Aldous Huxley

Total waste of a tree.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Relax, I'm a Doctor

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Arthur Hailey's Wheels, it's extremely dull. The book is about Detroit's car industry in the 60's, definitely one of his worst books.

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Antic Hay by Aldous Huxley

Total waste of a tree.

Never read it. I think it's one of his early works.

You should try "Brave New World" (dystopian) and "Island" (utopian) instead. 

• Failure likes this

Mr.Killa
  • Mr.Killa

They got money for war, but can´t feed the poor

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

I think someone else has already mentioned it in this thread, but Lord Of The Rings: Two Towers. Now, maybe it´s because I have never read the first book, making it hard to get into the story, but the language was very heavy (Even for me, and I would consider myself pretty good when it comes to understanding english), and a lot of it seemed repetetive.

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

Tape Is Love, Tape Is Life

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Well if it has a front and back cover and papers in between, its considered as a book to me.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

The only part of the LotR books I didn't like was the very first part of Return of the King when Tolkien spent forty or so pages describing Minas Tirith. 

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

There are a lot of books that can't be anything but boring, but they have to be that way for their purpose. I don't think it's wroth talking about these. But among the literary works, the most boring thing I've read was Silmarillion. That thing reads like a history textbook. A boring history textbook about made up people in made up lands doing boring made up history stuff. If you ever wonder if it's possible to make fantasy genre mind-numbingly boring, all you have to do to convince yourself is read the first dozen or so pages of Silmarillion.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Relax, I'm a Doctor

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:45 PM Edited by Mr Scratch, 08 May 2014 - 02:52 PM.

Well if it has a front and back cover and papers in between, its considered as a book to me.

Could I interest you in a dictionary? Or perhaps I should explain what that is first?

http://m.dictionary....definition/book

Sorry about the quote train.

• ten-a-penny likes this

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Native Son was a sh*tty piece of work.

Native Son is amazing once it actually picks up.  The intro is really long and dull if I remember, but once he accidentally murders the girl, it gets crazy.

Kippers
  • Kippers

Project 2501

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:20 PM Edited by Kippers, 08 May 2014 - 03:41 PM.

trololololol. It's one of my favourite books. I found it remarkably absorbing from start to finish.

Probably the Biggles series. My brother used to read them when he was younger so has tens and tens of them. I've tried several times to get through one or two of the books, but about half way through I just can't do it..

• Failure and Doc Rikowski like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

There are a lot of books that can't be anything but boring, but they have to be that way for their purpose. I don't think it's wroth talking about these. But among the literary works, the most boring thing I've read was Silmarillion. That thing reads like a history textbook. A boring history textbook about made up people in made up lands doing boring made up history stuff. If you ever wonder if it's possible to make fantasy genre mind-numbingly boring, all you have to do to convince yourself is read the first dozen or so pages of Silmarillion.

Preach it! I used to consider myself a Tolkien fan until I read Silmarillion. That's when I realized that it takes a real Tolkien fan to appreciate it. I don't have that kind of conviction in me. Maybe I'm too cool. Yes, I like that idea. That's what I'm going with from now on.

It's still better than the Qur'an, though.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Relax, I'm a Doctor

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

So I'm guessing the Book of Mormon is out of the question then?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:26 PM Edited by The Yokel, 08 May 2014 - 03:27 PM.

So I'm guessing the Book of Mormon is out of the question then?

Are you kiddin' me? That book is hilarious. It's comedy gold. The premise of the book alone is amazing. Prophets who lived on the American continent thousands of years before Jesus? f*ck yes, that sounds like fun.

• Mr Scratch likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users