Photo

View Distance and Detail Distance

3 replies to this topic
cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

I've been struggling with these two settings for a long time. I have maxed everything out and I'm even running Natural ENBuzz. But these two settings, I can just never figure out. What the hell do they do? How do you tweak them? What is the best area in the game to tweak them?

I've looked at the stickied FAQ, but it seems completely wrong. View Distance doesn't affect just cars and vehicles, Detail Distance doesn't affect just trash and trees. They both affect the same things. Depending on what View or Detail is set to, is how much the other will affect.

Here's an example: I can have View Distance at 30, and when playing with the Detail Distance I'll start to see a trash can when I have it around 40.

But I can also have Detail Distance at 80, and when playing with View Distance if I put it at say 15, I'll start to see that trash can.

So what you see, depends on BOTH settings. They both rely on each other. But I don't know how exactly.

AMD FX6300 @ 3.5Ghz 6-Cores

Sapphire HD 7870 Ghz Edition 2GB

8GB RAM

1600x900

Everything is on High or Very High (depending on how high the setting goes)

Vehicle Density is at 100

For now, I have View Distance at 21 and Detail Distance at 10 (the console settings)

Can someone provide a good explanation on these two? Is there a guide on how to tweak them?

T-ru
  • T-ru

kamikadze

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:36 AM Edited by T-ru, 04 May 2014 - 05:39 AM.

These two settings are so limited in patch 1.0.7.0 :/  they load the HD distance.

Detail distance is about the main geometry of the objects, roads, buildings and the lights from street lamps.

View distance is about HD textures and some small objects and details, it's depends from texture filtering (anisotropic level), also have little impact on the shadows, cars, peds, bins, trash and vegetation, but these objects (shadows, cars, peds, bins, trash and trees) especially trees have own load distance so when the view distance is 100 or 50, 30, 20 they will load the same way.

Detail and view distance are limited so even on max settings 100 the view in the far distance will not be HD.

Detail distance should be much more than view distance according of system possibility.

• cp1dell likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Okay, so Detail Distance controls how many objects are drawn - View Distance controls their quality (except if they have a preset LOD)?

T-ru
  • T-ru

kamikadze

• Members

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

No, Detail distance controls the geometry of the main big objects like roads. bridges, buildings and the light from street lamps during nights.

View distance is about HD texture and the details in these main objects, also View distance controls the small objects like cars, peds, bins, trash and vegetation and have little impact on the shadows, but like you said they have a preset LOD, the most of these small objects load the same way if v.distance is 50 or 100. 

• cp1dell likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users