Quantcast

» «
Photo

Were planes removed from GTA IV because of 9/11?

67 replies to this topic
chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:45 AM Edited by chrisscorsese88, 02 June 2014 - 03:45 AM.

Kobe Asks: I heard that you can’t fly in Liberty City anymore. What is up with that?! Flying is one of my favorite parts of this series!

This is incorrect. There are no airplanes in the game, but flying is still there. One means of this is the helicopter. As Dan pointed out, this is just one city and a plane really doesn’t fit into that very well for gameplay. Flying is still very much a large part of the game.

http://www.gta4.net/...answers-are-in/

I don't post much in this section, but I don't think it has to do directly with 9/11. It has to do with the fact that it doesn't fit with gameplay. Also, you say past titles had one city but had planes. It's because the HD era is supposed to be more realistic than the 3D era so this is why Rockstar took this approach with GTA IV.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

The pyhsics were not quite ready yet?

Cheers.

opnoright
  • opnoright

Yeah, it's that guy.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

I like to think that the reason GTA IV lacked planes is basically because GTA III lacked any real functioning planes.   It's important to keep in mind that IV is literally a recreation of III.   While III did have the Dodo in game,  it could barely fly.  So they might have figured it was a pointless addition and since III was around before helicopters were implemented they "replaced" the Dodo with helicopters.  Like others mentioned IV also went for the serious route and you're not going to see random airplanes flying around NYC,  especially post 9/11.   Actually III was going to have planes and even a mission where you crash one into a skyscraper for Darkel,  but it was removed because of 9/11.   

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Things you posted especially the one about crashing a plane into the building were unconfirmed, but if they were really there and R* decided to cut them it was long before 9/11. 

Okazaki
  • Okazaki

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Anguilla

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:06 PM Edited by Okazaki, 27 June 2014 - 07:09 PM.

THERE WERE NO PLANES ON 9/11 !!!

Watch Dimitri Khalezov. Nuclear Demolition.

opnoright
  • opnoright

Yeah, it's that guy.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:03 AM Edited by opnoright, 03 July 2014 - 02:09 AM.

Things you posted especially the one about crashing a plane into the building were unconfirmed, but if they were really there and R* decided to cut them it was long before 9/11. 

Apparently not that long as Rockstar says this in response to the question "How different would be #GTA III if 9/11 wouldn't have happened?" : 

"About 1% different. We removed only one mission that referenced terrorists and changed a few other cosmetic details – car details, a couple of ped comments, lines of radio dialogue etc – the game came out a very short time later. "

Source: http://www.rockstarg...911-the-gh.html

They deny the plane crash mission, but I have a feeling that the cut mission involved you helping a terrorist group fly into Donald Love's building which would explain his later disappearance from the game.  I just figure they wouldn't have wanted to admit that due to bad publicity and it being taken as encouraging acts of terrorism.  Take it as you will, but I just wouldn't personally doubt it. 

Webster.
  • Webster.

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

What? That statement doesn't even make sense. 9/11 occurred 7 years before GTA IV was sold. Plus, many games after 9/11 were designed with planes in them. I don't see how planes can automatically be linked as a reference to 9/11. Even if planes were put in GTA IV, I disbelieve that even one mission would include flying into a building. 

I don't know why they weren't included but the 9/11 theory is just a theory.

Android
  • Android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

I personally think the map is way too small for something like a plane, even if it was a dodo.

Only one airport, means only one place to land and take off (unless they added a hidden/abandoned airstrip somewhere)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users