Quantcast

» «
Photo

Were planes removed from GTA IV because of 9/11?

67 replies to this topic
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that the lack of planes leads to the airport feeling like a waste of space?  the airport takes up a significant amount of space in the map and yet there is no incentive to go to it.

I don't think it's really a waste of space. It's a spawn point for the Annihilator after all.

The Annihilator also spawned on the helipad of the police station in northern Algonquin, and stealing that only gets you a one star wanted level which can be easily escaped in the helicopter, taking the one at the airport will give you a four star wanted level which is impossible to escape in the helicopter.

It's like calling the stadium in San Andreas a waste of space because you can't play major league baseball, some things are just there for scenery and immersion. I'd rather see a lot of buildings and structures with personality or at least a fake function than a bunch of stagnant buildings. 

There is a difference there though, the stadium takes up a small area in a map surrounded by other things, the airport in GTA IV takes up a huge chunk of map and there is nothing around it but water.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:42 AM

I still don't see how it's a waste of space though. Most GTA IV MP players would be inclined to disagree.

Lets hypothetically say the reason was 9/11. The airport isn't really a waste of space since it would be kind of stupid not to include it. The reason I brought up the Annihilator is I know you like obtaining unique vehicles from specific spawn points. It's (the airport) also used in GTA IV's story and for TBOGT's final mission.

There's also a stunt jump and various other jumps if you want to do that kind of thing or maybe just want to obtain a quick wanted level.

Waste of space? IMO no.
  • thekillerdonuts likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

"Come over here and lick my *BANANA BREAD*!"

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

I still don't see how it's a waste of space though. Most GTA IV MP players would be inclined to disagree.

Lets hypothetically say the reason was 9/11. The airport isn't really a waste of space since it would be kind of stupid not to include it. The reason I brought up the Annihilator is I know you like obtaining unique vehicles from specific spawn points. It's (the airport) also used in GTA IV's story and for TBOGT's final mission.

There's also a stunt jump and various other jumps if you want to do that kind of thing or maybe just want to obtain a quick wanted level.

Waste of space? IMO no.

Not to mention it's an excuse to have a big concrete slab where we can just screw around with various vehicles in MP, and the luggage ramps help.

• Misunderstood likes this

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

I agree with it being a technical reason as to why planes weren't in the game. I think planes weren't included because they probably wanted to get the physics right for them and decided to hold off on including planes until a later game, and I suppose over time they wanted things to be a little more realistic in the game anyway. Wasn't there data for flyable planes found in the files? Is that wasn't just something made-up, it could go along with the way the airport was earlier in development, it was probably meant to accommodate flyable planes going by how much bigger it looks, there's even a third runway.

BetaLCGTA4.png

I know that's a microscopic texture, but it's all that's available of the beta map, and you can still see that the airport is bigger. While huge planes and fighter jets wouldn't make much sense to have (despite being fun vehicles), I still think a Dodo and a Seaplane would have been alright to include. They'd make better rewards for shooting 200 pigeons than just getting another Annihilator.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

I did hear a interview with Lazlow once where he said people kept complaining to him because planes weren't in the game. His response was one of saying that the map wasn't really big enough for planes so they didn't add them to the game. Wheter that is true or not I cant say.

I think that thought does hold some weight though as heli's are more than enough for the map size that GTA IV was, although planes would of been fun just to mess about with in SP and MP when bored.

gunziness
  • gunziness

Trick

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

I always thought that at least one small plane would have worked in the map. The dodo for example, make it with the same speed as the anihilator (which is very fast for an helicopter) but more maneuverable, steady and fragile. (It would also act as a reference to gta3 too).

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

I don't think plane were removed because of 9/11 at all. Saying that it's the only explaination is absurd. The map just wasn't big enough for planes.

Granted there was a sea plane in VC and a Dodo in III, how fun is it really to fly around the small cities in those game the same way we could with planes in SA and V? I can't imagine myself spending half an hour flying around LC in a plane when there's really only one place where we can land.

To add: anyone who said that the Dodo in III wasn't meant to be flown is wrong. I remember reading a pre-release article (yes that long ago) that there was going to be a mission where you "use a plane to loft yourself high enough to reach new areas of the city", or something along those lines. I really don't know what they meant by that, considering when you get a plane you've already got access to all of LC. It may not have been intended to fly in the final version, but it was at one point.

gta3masta5000
  • gta3masta5000

'Sup?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:05 AM

To add: anyone who said that the Dodo in III wasn't meant to be flown is wrong. I remember reading a pre-release article (yes that long ago) that there was going to be a mission where you "use a plane to loft yourself high enough to reach new areas of the city", or something along those lines. I really don't know what they meant by that, considering when you get a plane you've already got access to all of LC. It may not have been intended to fly in the final version, but it was at one point.

The beta map of III had the airport on Staunton. Google it, I sh!t you not.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

All your gold are belong to us.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

LCS had a helicopter that was usable. Cheat device. Herp.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

In all honesty, no. It wasn't because of map size either. The engine was new and I'm sure they weren't able to do planes yet. They're not really that important anyway, I mean I'd probably spend 10 minutes in them at the most.

• thekillerdonuts likes this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

In all honesty, no. It wasn't because of map size either. The engine was new and I'm sure they weren't able to do planes yet. They're not really that important anyway, I mean I'd probably spend 10 minutes in them at the most.

Plane data WAS in IV and it does work. Rockstar just didn't want to do anything with it.
  • lol232 likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

One of the main reasons is the setting probably. R* felt that NYC doesn't have a lot of private planes (LC in 3D era also didn't have them, unless you count Dodos flying around with adverts or carrying Catalina's Spank. Yes I am aware of the Dodo.) and they didn't add them to the game. Adding something is one thing, but make it worthy add-on is the other one. Was the planes so important in V single player campaign? In my opinion helicopters were far more needed.  

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

Im going to say technical reasons. Look at V,a huge map with one airport. The 747 is mainly landed at the airport, for most people anyway.

Mr.Raspberry Jam
  • Mr.Raspberry Jam

Bringing great joy to a lonely man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:08 PM Edited by Mr.Raspberry Jam, 21 May 2014 - 11:12 PM.

Maybe R* left it out because they knew that someone would complain about the whole 9/11 situation. Seems highly unlikely though, as R* don't really seem to care about controversy, since they pay newspapers to create controversy for them & such.
I was going to say that the map was too small, then I remembered that some of the 3D era games had planes and they had even smaller maps.
I think that they left them out because there was only one airport in Liberty City and there would only really be one place to access planes, take off and land. So they just left them out and focused on helicopters, where they could place helipads around the city without them taking up too much room.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

I hope bringing this up doesn't offend anyone.

So I recently just remembered hearing someone say that planes were removed from GTA IV because of 9/11 and it got me thinking.

The majority of people say that they were removed due to the map size but that makes no sense, GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories all had planes and those games had smaller maps with a single airport.

Does anyone else know of any information suggesting that they were/were not removed dueo to 9/11?

let me correct you on this since noone hasnt:

III, VC and VCS (as well as Liberty City Stories) didnt have planes we could use and fly with.

III and LCS didnt even have playable helicopters.

640px-Dodo-GTA3-front.jpg

640px-Skimmer-GTAVC-front.jpg

Biplane-GTAVCS-front.jpg

Imagine how fans would've acted if a Dodo would've been the only plane in IV.

The Dodo would be useless, and it would've made fans very angry to not have bigger planes.

Bigger planes were not included because you have technical limitations and other priorities, and because they would be useless on that map.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

I was going to say that the map was too small, then I remembered that some of the 3D era games had planes and they had even smaller maps.
I think that they left them out because there was only one airport in Liberty City and there would only really be one place to access planes, take off and land. So they just left them out and focused on helicopters, where they could place helipads around the city without them taking up too much room.

The 3D Era games with only one airport had planes though, so the fact that there is only one airport does not make sense for the reason there is no planes.

And Rockstar didn't really focus on helicopters either though (they didn't focus on anything vehicle related in IV), that's why there are only 4, and one of them is almost impossible to obtain.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

It's fantastic that you have GTA V where obviously vehicles were top priority.  :sarcasm:

Last
  • Last

!!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:41 AM Edited by Last, 24 May 2014 - 01:53 AM.

They were going to add Liberty State in the game and planes were gonna be usable, the state consisted of LC, upstate, The Carraways and Carcer City (possibly). Either tech limitation or, as they put it, to keep the city more alive and focused, they removed the other areas. With the map being the very small LC, they thought planes were useless considering, so they scrapped them. That's what i read somewhere on the GTAwiki, anyways.

It was probably going to be basically the same as the GTA V map:

-Liberty City at the bottom of the map

-Rural area at the north of LC (Upstate)

-The Carraways at the northernmost part (it's not a city, it's a high class community consisting of high end villages where celebrities and millionaires reside or spend their summertime)

OT:

I guess having planes would be right in IV, at least a small plane like the Skimmer or something, to land anywhere on the water.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

Liberty State in the game and planes were gonna be usable, the state consisted of LC, upstate, The Carraways and Carcer City (possibly)

Where did you hear that Carcer City would be included? I've heard about the other stuff, but never that.

But man, how has someone not created an upstate NY for IV yet?

cookiemonster14
  • cookiemonster14

Gangsta

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

Rockstar has already stated that Planes were not in IV because the map wasn't big enough, which is true IMO.

Sawnek
  • Sawnek

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

Whether it was due to restrictions or the size of the map, I don't think 9/11 had anything to do with the lack of planes in IV. I would agree if Rockstar had added something resembling the WTC within Liberty City, but they didn't. I feel like the 9/11 reason is a little stretched, otherwise Roman's line about terrorists at the beginning of the game, as brief as it was, would have probably stirred up something.

Phoenix_Shit
  • Phoenix_Shit

First rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about fight club.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

I honestly never understood the big deal about the lack of planes in IV. Helicopters were good enough for me.

I agree with this. Helicopters are far more practical for LC any way, but I'm lead to believe the exclusion of planes is a technical reason.

Man I mean no offense or anything, but you must be a big GTA IV fanboy man

• SonOfLiberty likes this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

Rockstar has already stated that Planes were not in IV because the map wasn't big enough, which is true IMO.

Agreed, there just wasn't anywhere on the GTA IV map to really land a plane. There weren't any airports except the one in Broker and no patches of land big enough to land a plane. I didn't really mind the exclusion though like some did though.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

Agreed, there just wasn't anywhere on the GTA IV map to really land a plane. There weren't any airports except the one in Broker and no patches of land big enough to land a plane.

I honestly believe this the part people keep forgetting about.

Unless they never considered landing the plane, and always jump out of it in midair with the parachute.

Or maybe they wanted something like that tiny Dodo stunt plane?
Nah, even that would have been difficult to find suitable roads to land and take-off.
  • Shenmue18 likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

I honestly never understood the big deal about the lack of planes in IV. Helicopters were good enough for me.

I agree with this. Helicopters are far more practical for LC any way, but I'm lead to believe the exclusion of planes is a technical reason.
Man I mean no offense or anything, but you must be a big GTA IV fanboy man

You're noticing this now?

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:27 AM Edited by watchclock, 31 May 2014 - 11:28 AM.

Planes WERE de-winged in GTA: III because of 9/11 (and colour of cars changed from blue and white). Apparently there was originally a mission where you had to fly a plane into a building! That was also removed.

However I doubt that 9/11 was cause of planes absence in IV. More likely it was because more 'realistic' direction of IV, and unlike in III it had never been part of the story so it was never modelled.

The GTA III & VICE CITY maps were smaller that IV so that can't be the reason.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:54 PM Edited by theNGclan, 31 May 2014 - 08:57 PM.

Planes WERE de-winged in GTA: III because of 9/11 (and colour of cars changed from blue and white). Apparently there was originally a mission where you had to fly a plane into a building! That was also removed.

However I doubt that 9/11 was cause of planes absence in IV. More likely it was because more 'realistic' direction of IV, and unlike in III it had never been part of the story so it was never modelled.

The Dodo in III was just meant to be a challenge vehicle. Never truly meant for flight. It's technically still a car.

OtT: Jesus Christ guys planes WERE possible in GTA IV. The "technical limitations" excuse is bullsh*t. There are task commands and Opcodes for planes in IV as well as the jetpack.

Research people!

HazzardX
  • HazzardX

01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

The Dodo in III was just meant to be a challenge vehicle. Never truly meant for flight. It's technically still a car.
OtT: Jesus Christ guys planes WERE possible in GTA IV. The "technical limitations" excuse is bullsh*t. There are task commands and Opcodes for planes in IV as well as the jetpack.
Research people!
True.There are even Dodo an other planess working handling in the files (dodo doesnt have a model in iv,but if players manage to find one and add it ingame,they are good to go). Àlso,i thnk the jetpack scripts are just sa leftovers, as they planned to reuse stuff from sa

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

Seriously when is this bullsh*t rumor going to end? There's no basis to it other than just the fact that 9/11 happened before III and there was "content removed" due to it.

Plus Claude's a survivalist. Why would he run around making millions of dollars and killing the person who betrayed him just to kill himself for a worthless f*cking hobo?

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Claude does have a tendency to obey without any second thought at whoever shouts him an new order, even if it means killing one of his employers with whom he still had work to do.

So it's not all that far fetched to imagine him crashing a plane right into a skyscraper because the tunnel living hobo asked him to.

And for all we know the point wasn't to blow up the skyscraper, just to infiltrate and kill the target residing at the upper level, only that entering gun blazing from the ground floor would have been suicide due to high security.
Using the small plane to crash through the window was to act as a shortcut.

Technical limitations maybe?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users