Photo

This forums has a real problem.

31 replies to this topic
Meechy
  • Meechy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:44 PM Edited by Meechy, 29 April 2014 - 01:00 PM.

I don't understand these forums so maybe someone here can give me some much needed insight. There's a difference between having an opinion and debating respectfully and disagreeing with a company than just outright berating them and insulting everyone.

It seems like there is a sense of entitlement on these forums or something, guaranteed NONE of you that have this entitlement issue have any experience working on a game, working for a game company, or experience ridiculous amounts of criticism every single day. I know you can't please everyone but the amount of things some of you think you deserve is crazy! I don't work for RDF or whatever it's called, but I might as well.

I'm going off common sense, but DLC cannot just be whisked away the drop of a hat, it takes time and effort among collabarators and making sure it is fine tuned. You do not DESERVE anything. The free DLC's we have been getting I'd like to you to take a step back and think. If it was Call of Duty, you'd be paying for ALL of them!

All in all, I'm just saying that there should be more maturity here. Rockstar at the end of the day are humans as well and they cannot please everyone. Please stop acting like you deserve the world and enjoy the free things they give you and realize that they are in fact a COMPANY and COMPANIES are out to make money.

• ten-a-penny, CantThinkOfOne2013, Eddie_INTV and 1 other like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

*comment about your sexuality and age here, even if I don't know you*

• SCOOBASTEEB, Scaglietti, Android and 2 others like this

Meechy
  • Meechy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:51 PM Edited by Meechy, 29 April 2014 - 12:52 PM.

*changes quote to insult you back*
  • D3ADSH0T, ten-a-penny, Scaglietti and 2 others like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:56 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 29 April 2014 - 12:57 PM.

guaranteed NONE of you have any experience working on a game, working for a game company, or experience ridiculous amounts of criticism every single day.

3 solid years working on AAA title QA, travelled around the world doing it...

7 solid years working on web QA, earning more money than I really should be for it...

3 solid years releasing my own music...

So, game experience? Check

Worked for game companies? Check

Huge amounts of criticism? See above. 

--

You're right though, people don't understand that games and DLC don't just get pulled out of a giant magical anus that's filled with completed digital products. 

• D3ADSH0T and DrDetroit like this

Meechy
  • Meechy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

guaranteed NONE of you have any experience working on a game, working for a game company, or experience ridiculous amounts of criticism every single day.

7 solid years working on web QA, earning more money than I really should be for it...

Why are you on this forum if you're making AAA games and your own music? This forum would bring me down man.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

I agree, full marks for your reaction to what you observed.  :^:

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Boo hoo. Don't like it, don't head to this section.
  • warlord GTAV likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Why are you on this forum if you're making AAA games and your own music? This forum would bring me down man.

I spent three years in game QA, it killed games for me. Not to mention I was forced to work double shifts for no extra money. So I got out, moved into the much more lucrative and boring world of web QA. Good money, but no one is paying me to play video games any more. 

My music is self released, there's no one backing it, so I have to work a day job to pay for my 'hobby'. 

I used to come to this forum to discuss ideas for the future of GTA, back in the day when people had some really good ideas (some of my ideas are in game now, but I doubt I'll ever get credit for them!) These days it's more about people whining about nothing - I was ready to leave when I was offered the led-by role, but I realised that I couldn't stay impartial, and dropped it. 

Don't worry, I don't see myself sticking around for much longer. 

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Alotta people are dissapointed in single player and hate how R*'s going the way of EA and abandoning  SP for mainstream call of judy type online bullspit

• Luismy_MMD, DrDetroit, Antaxi and 1 other like this

Meechy
  • Meechy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:07 PM Edited by Meechy, 29 April 2014 - 01:05 PM.

Boo hoo. Don't like it, don't head to this section.

Nice hypocrisy. I could just as easily say the same thing about this thread. It's an opinion and once again instead of addressing or even having a simple back and forth conversation with me you retort with childish insults and petty arguments. You're the same one that garned attention for basically writing lines of fake code right? You have no room to talk brother.

I spent three years in game QA, it killed games for me. Not to mention I was forced to work double shifts for no extra money. So I got out, moved into the much more lucrative and boring world of web QA. Good money, but no one is paying me to play video games any more. 

My music is self released, there's no one backing it, so I have to work a day job to pay for my 'hobby'. 

I used to come to this forum to discuss ideas for the future of GTA, back in the day when people had some really good ideas (some of my ideas are in game now, but I doubt I'll ever get credit for them!) These days it's more about people whining about nothing - I was ready to leave when I was offered the led-by role, but I realised that I couldn't stay impartial, and dropped it. 

Don't worry, I don't see myself sticking around for much longer. 

Respect to you dude! I wish you luck on your music career and hope it pays off for you. I edited the OP a little thanks to your post. Basically I meant anyone who did have some experience with working in the game industry would have some empathy instead of just consistenly whining.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

Alotta people are dissapointed in single player and hate how R*'s going the way of EA and abandoning  SP for mainstream call of judy type online bullspit

Didn't see the huge single player part of the game, then?

If they abandoned SP for Online, how do you explain the game they released just before Online?

• Pyrrhus and Eddie_INTV like this

Raavi
  • Raavi

That's another cook

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

It is human nature to complain.

It rains: "oh f*ck that rainy weather give me sunshine already!"

They finally get sunshine: "It's too hot!"

Same goes for games, but what do you do about it, why should you care about it? It doesn't effect me in any way shape or form. 

Of course they are out to make money, they don't care about the whims of their fanbase. If they see doing X, Y and Z can make them more money than doing A,B,C they will do the former. Even if that means alienating a minority of their player base. Hell, I would do the exact same. 

• Luismy_MMD likes this

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:19 PM Edited by Zee, 29 April 2014 - 01:20 PM.

Of course they are out to make money, they don't care about the whims of their fanbase. If they see doing X, Y and Z can make them more money than doing A,B,C they will do the former. Even if that means alienating a minority of their player base. Hell, I would do the exact same.

...Which is why the games industry sucks right now. I need look no further than EA.
  • Fuzzknuckles, Cutter De Blanc, Bonnano and 2 others like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

...Which is why the games industry sucks right now. I need look no further than EA.

Having done some work for E.A., I can vouch for this. I was privvy to a conversation where they basically chopped out half a game, saying they would release it anyway, safe in the knowledge that, because of the license it was based on, it was guaranteed to be a big seller anyway. 

It was, and it was one of the most broken releases I've ever played. This was PS2/OG Xbox era. The seeds had already been sewn. 

Raavi
  • Raavi

That's another cook

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Oh I agree. Don't get me wrong, more business influence is great for making money and if I were on the helm of the ship that is Rockstar Games I would only applaud it. But it is ultimately detrimental to the players enjoyment of the game, as is indeed evident by the current state of the video game industry.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

If they abandoned SP for Online, how do you explain the game they released just before Online?

You mean that half assed sh*t they called "story mode", with so many engaging activities, so many diverse missions, and lets not forget the completlely epic story mode where I'm someone's bitch for 3/4ths of the game. Or lets talk about the features that were gutted from IV to V, let alone SA to V. As much as you all don't want to admit V was a COLOSSAL DISSAPOINTMENT, and lets compare it to IV, dumbed down physics all around (After tht bs magazine article promised otherwise) PRoperty management missions that make you not even want the property anymore, TV and online componenets that If you ask me or any1 else those resources could;ve been spent filling the game with more stuff to do rather then read/watch once then discard it forever. BUT WAIT: WE HAVE YOGA! YAYYY

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

You mean that half assed sh*t they called "story mode", with so many engaging activities, so many diverse missions, and lets not forget the completlely epic story mode where I'm someone's bitch for 3/4ths of the game. Or lets talk about the features that were gutted from IV to V, let alone SA to V. As much as you all don't want to admit V was a COLOSSAL DISSAPOINTMENT, and lets compare it to IV, dumbed down physics all around (After tht bs magazine article promised otherwise) PRoperty management missions that make you not even want the property anymore, TV and online componenets that If you ask me or any1 else those resources could;ve been spent filling the game with more stuff to do rather then read/watch once then discard it forever. BUT WAIT: WE HAVE YOGA! YAYYY

I really enjoyed it. So, perhaps you just have a different opinion? Your opinion is not fact, and the fact is, that game was enjoyed by millions. Literally, millions. So.. are you more right than them? Unlikely. 

Perhaps what's happened here is you spent too long looking at trailers and expecting something that wasn't actually going to happen. Perhaps you set your expectations in line with a completely different game? Perhaps there's just no pleasing you?

Either way, lots of people thought it was great. So... now what? Should we tell R* their game that works really well is broken because it doesn't match the dream game you had in mind? Should we tell them that you've got some seriously bunched panties as a result of expecting things that weren't ever promised?

And remember, kids, leaving things out is not the same as removing things. You don't know that those features were ever in V, so how come you know they were removed? They don't just copy the engine from the old game over and start working on it. The engine was tweaked, updated, freshened up, then they started creating content for it. They didn't just copy and paste IV into a dev kit and go say 'right, let's chop out this stuff that people like but is completely inappropriate to THIS game'.

• StarFyer and Eddie_INTV like this

Varys
  • Varys

It's actually Lord Varys

• Members
  • Abkhazia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hmm... yes, perhaps Ser Meechy should do some research. This is... after all... a forum where people can complain anonymously; they can make fools of themselves. All this without any real consequence.

• MrcTOtheJ likes this

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Ah yes 'Heists' we have dismissed these claims

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hmm... yes, perhaps Ser Meechy should do some research. This is... after all... a forum where people can complain anonymously; they can make fools of themselves. All this without any real consequence.

I read this in Varys' voice, made my day.

Tyrion Lannister
  • Tyrion Lannister

Dwarf

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

To be fair, the chap has a good point. 

Many here are very unappreciative and brutally ungrateful of the effort the good devs at Rockstar put into their game. Of course, the "other" side of Rockstar remains dark and calculating, like any other corporation. But the developers themselves do their best with the technology they are given. Dare I say, decade old technology that has no business still being used by modern folk. 

• MrcTOtheJ likes this

shattered-minds
  • shattered-minds

Lovely chap

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

It's the same with most forums unfortunately. People state their opinion as fact and eventually It gets split into two oposite ends of the spectrum; you have your "apologists" and "haters". Whilst there are plenty of people like yourself in the middle, it tends to be the most hypobolic/inflamatory comments that get the most attention and replies.

I do get the sense there there is strong culture of negativity on this forum though.

• Midnightz likes this

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

I really enjoyed it. So, perhaps you just have a different opinion? Your opinion is not fact, and the fact is, that game was enjoyed by millions. Literally, millions. So.. are you more right than them? Unlikely. 

Perhaps what's happened here is you spent too long looking at trailers and expecting something that wasn't actually going to happen. Perhaps you set your expectations in line with a completely different game? Perhaps there's just no pleasing you?

Either way, lots of people thought it was great. So... now what? Should we tell R* their game that works really well is broken because it doesn't match the dream game you had in mind? Should we tell them that you've got some seriously bunched panties as a result of expecting things that weren't ever promised?

And remember, kids, leaving things out is not the same as removing things. You don't know that those features were ever in V, so how come you know they were removed? They don't just copy the engine from the old game over and start working on it. The engine was tweaked, updated, freshened up, then they started creating content for it. They didn't just copy and paste IV into a dev kit and go say 'right, let's chop out this stuff that people like but is completely inappropriate to THIS game'.

Did the real GTA fans believe the game was great, sure the sheeple that accept dumbed down mainstream programing thought it was great but what about those that played gta from the early days. Since III, all the gtas showed some progress. even IV,with its smaller map pushed the series into what it could be with HD graphics and improved physics. All GTAV did was tell fall extremely below expectations with so many many things, Ask real gta fans and not 12-15 yr olds then you'll see the truth!

shattered-minds
  • shattered-minds

Lovely chap

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:43 PM Edited by shattered-minds, 29 April 2014 - 03:49 PM.

Did the real GTA fans believe the game was great, sure the sheeple that accept dumbed down mainstream programing thought it was great but what about those that played gta from the early days. Since III, all the gtas showed some progress. even IV,with its smaller map pushed the series into what it could be with HD graphics and improved physics. All GTAV did was tell fall extremely below expectations with so many many things, Ask real gta fans and not 12-15 yr olds then you'll see the truth!

I'm 26 and I've been playing GTA since the original on PC, I've played and enjoyed near enough ever iteration (apart from Chinatown Wars, not played it yet) and I really enjoyed V. Just saying...

• Eddie_INTV likes this

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

Another problem is see are people keep quote-training, making you have to scroll down from the top of someone's post (where you can see their avatar) a while before you see their actual post.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

I consider myself a 'real GTA fan', having played every GTA game (yeah, GTA 1 on release day, bitches) and I'm older... well, I'm a LOT older than 12-15, so yeah, your point has little merit, really. I f*cking loved GTAV. 

• StarFyer and Eddie_INTV like this

Epsilon Program
  • Epsilon Program

Child of Kraff

• Members
  • Cayman-Islands

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

--

You're right though, people don't understand that games and DLC don't just get pulled out of a giant magical anus that's filled with completed digital products. 

A bit off-topic but can you provide any link of your music page or somewhere we could listen to your music ?

• Scaglietti and Eddie_INTV like this

StarFyer
  • StarFyer

Whatever Man

• Members

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:03 PM Edited by StarFyer, 29 April 2014 - 09:05 PM.

Exactly who are the "real" GTA fans? Oh I know, they must be the ones who cry and complain every chance they get because GTA V isn't everything they had their little hearts set on, or maybe they're the ones who enjoy and appreciate the game although it's far from perfect.

Just in case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

You or no one else can decide who a "real" GTA fan is. Some people like the game, does that make them a "real" fan, no. Some don't like the game, does that make them a real fan,  no.

btw, I'm an adult, over age 21, not a 12 year old or sheeple. I follow my own mind and form my own opinions and I respect the opinions of others even if I don't agree.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Why are you even surprised by the way people act on these forums? Ever since the release of V, there has been tremendous hate and tremendous fanboyism. Additionally, its a forum where the majority of the fanbase are bigoted and antiopinionism teenagers and dropout young adults.
  • Eddie_INTV likes this

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

There's a difference between having an opinion and debating respectfully and disagreeing with a company than just outright berating them and insulting everyone.

This is what drives me crazy in these forums. Instead of having a civil conversation about different views on a game, they berate each other with meaningless (and childish) insults.
I would respond in a lot more threads but I know they will just come back "your a moron and i'm right, even if I have no evidence." I just end up lurking and shaking my head at the ignorance.
  • StarFyer, Scaglietti and Eddie_INTV like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• The Yardies
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

We all know this forum has a huge problem. And that huge problem?

SonOfLiberty's fanboyism. That sh*t's like the Bubonic Plague.

• PulpFiction and Scaglietti like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users