Quantcast

» «
Photo

Story Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Did You LIke The Story? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Graphics and Gameplay Aside, Did You Like the Story?

1. Yes (66 votes [65.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.35%

2. No (35 votes [34.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.65%

Vote
EOL_92
  • EOL_92

Finesser

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Agree with almost everything i've read in this thread so far, the story is very undercooked with certain characters and issues playing a part in like 1 or 2 missions only, and without being wrapped up properly in the end. So many characters who were undeveloped - Stretch, Tanisha, Ron, Wade, Madrazo, The chinese guys etc. all played an important roll in 1 or 2 missions and then were completely forgotten about until late on in the game. Best example is Stretch: 1. First mission where he's fresh home, and its clear there is a problem between him and F but no real explanation why 2. gets them set up or something when they sell the brick on Grove Street (again poorly explained) 3. Don't see him for the remainder of the game 4. Last mission where one ending option involves a rushed assassination on him for no reason atall (Michael hasn't even met him and hes the one who suggests he needs to die) - it's actually quite mind-boggling how poor this was done.

Other examples include TP Industries, Ron and Wade's side story line where Trevor basically forgets about it all after about half way through the story (although he mentions it a few times later on in the game, it seems this was forced in to remind us it exists). Like someone above says, Trevor should have had management missions involving cooking, shipping and selling meth!

• Choco Taco and Gta Rory like this

Doland J. Trump
  • Doland J. Trump

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Did I like the story? It was enjoyable but speaking just story wise, it was nowhere near as good as IV's. The main chunk of V's story was sucking off the FIB, let's be honest. The heists were a let down to say the least. The Vangelico heist had to be the best from then on it just went downhill, I don't know how you could really call those missions "heists" to be honest. The last heist was sort of redeeming 

Spoiler
. All the other missions in the game were good, some aspects more fleshed out more than others. Michael and Trevor's arc was probably the best and most enjoyable, Franklin's felt like it was a last minute decision. So overall, yeah I enjoyed V and still play it very often. It was a massive step forward technologically for the series but for the story it wasn't either a step forward or a step back. I hope VI's story is focused on a bit more, graphics are one part of a game but if it has a sh*t story it won't be that easy to enjoy and I hope R* know that. 

• theGTAking101 and Gta Rory like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Gameplay wise the missions were better, but actual storywise, once Trevor gets into it, and then Michael starts getting blackmailed by the FIB, it takes a huge nose dive in both quality and, well, being coherent. You don't get a sense of satisfaction at the end, all the "main" villains feel very forced in or undercooked, this is especially true in regards to the Triads, who hell, only appear slightly in like three storyline missions yet they're supposed to be the big bad for Trevor? Stretch is another one, they could have done so much with that, but after "The Long Stretch" it just kind of went quiet, and to make things worse, if you do Option A or B, then these don't even get mentioned again! Even though Franklin is alive and well in those outcomes, what, does he just forget about Stretch and the Ballas screwing him and Lamarr over?

So yeah, GTAV has a good set up, a REAL strong start, the North Yankton bank job, Franklin and Lamarr doing their thing, etc, that stuff was great, but after the first heist, when Trevor came on board, it was still action packed, but they made the first mistake there by killing off The Lost, who felt like much better enemies against Trevor, as well as setting up stuff that went no where such as the Triad connections, and Trevor declaring war on the Aztecas, which, well, again, one mission and nothing is heard of again.

It just feels all over the place, which is why I can't say it was a great story, there's too many messed up things, which is crazy considering how much GTA IV and The Lost and Damned worked out (and yes, even The Ballad of Gay Tony to an extent though that's where they changed the story to be more "fun"), the majority of GTA IV and TLAD made sense and just fit together so perfect, there were three story arcs, the cocaine, the heroin, the diamonds. All the key points in the story revolved around those three products, you know how the cocaine came into the story and who got it for Liz (TLAD), you know where it ended up with ULP (GTA IV), you know where The Lost raided the Angels of Death and stole the Heroin (TLAD), you know where it became a big thing with Dimitri getting involved to export it and betray the mob (GTA IV), and of course The Diamonds need no explanation.

Just crazy to think that a story that detailed between three protagonist was done by Rockstar, and yet in the actual game where there IS three protagonists as the focus, it's all over the place and doesn't make sense.
  • TheOtherRyan, cp1dell, Choco Taco and 4 others like this

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:38 AM Edited by Gta Rory, 01 May 2014 - 05:39 AM.

Gameplay wise the missions were better, but actual storywise, once Trevor gets into it, and then Michael starts getting blackmailed by the FIB, it takes a huge nose dive in both quality and, well, being coherent. You don't get a sense of satisfaction at the end, all the "main" villains feel very forced in or undercooked, this is especially true in regards to the Triads, who hell, only appear slightly in like three storyline missions yet they're supposed to be the big bad for Trevor? Stretch is another one, they could have done so much with that, but after "The Long Stretch" it just kind of went quiet, and to make things worse, if you do Option A or B, then these don't even get mentioned again! Even though Franklin is alive and well in those outcomes, what, does he just forget about Stretch and the Ballas screwing him and Lamarr over?

So yeah, GTAV has a good set up, a REAL strong start, the North Yankton bank job, Franklin and Lamarr doing their thing, etc, that stuff was great, but after the first heist, when Trevor came on board, it was still action packed, but they made the first mistake there by killing off The Lost, who felt like much better enemies against Trevor, as well as setting up stuff that went no where such as the Triad connections, and Trevor declaring war on the Aztecas, which, well, again, one mission and nothing is heard of again.

It just feels all over the place, which is why I can't say it was a great story, there's too many messed up things, which is crazy considering how much GTA IV and The Lost and Damned worked out (and yes, even The Ballad of Gay Tony to an extent though that's where they changed the story to be more "fun"), the majority of GTA IV and TLAD made sense and just fit together so perfect, there were three story arcs, the cocaine, the heroin, the diamonds. All the key points in the story revolved around those three products, you know how the cocaine came into the story and who got it for Liz (TLAD), you know where it ended up with ULP (GTA IV), you know where The Lost raided the Angels of Death and stole the Heroin (TLAD), you know where it became a big thing with Dimitri getting involved to export it and betray the mob (GTA IV), and of course The Diamonds need no explanation.

Just crazy to think that a story that detailed between three protagonist was done by Rockstar, and yet in the actual game where there IS three protagonists as the focus, it's all over the place and doesn't make sense.

Oh man loved this post.  To add to your point about the "villains," not only were they "undercooked" or "forced" but they went against the rockstar formula for villains.

The formula is: Make Villains People Love To Hate...which is also the formula Disney used for all of their classic stories.

To me, the exercise that proves they were successful at this in IV and failed at this in V, is by naming all of the great antagonists in IV and asking yourself did I still like this character despite the fact that they're an antagonist? Then do the same for V.

GTA IV ANTAGONISTS

• Vlad: Extremely funny
  • Mikhail: Not only funny, but also terrifying
  • Dimitri: Straight up sociopath, and you just HAAATE this dude because of brilliant writing/voice acting
  • Playboy X: This guy made me laugh just by how believably ignorant he was.  This dude was such a piece of crap, I couldn't wait to ice this guy, and instead of just cheap dialogue put in place to show how much of a douche he was, they showed us just how bad he was with the Dwayne Playboy relationship and it was just magnificent storytelling.
  • Ray Boccino: Oh my god this guy was a scream, also ruthless
  • Pegorino: Same as Dimitri, I don't consider him funny but I'm impressed with how well they make you hate this guy

GTA V ANTAGONISTS

• Stretch?: I don't even know this guy...I did like a couple missions with him.  Did he betray me or something?  
  • Weston: Weston is just a tool that's meant to annoy you.  Has he done the kind of stuff that Jimmy P or Rascalov has done to earn my hatred?  Nope..just an obnoxious snob and a lazily written stereotype of an elitist 
  • Is Norton a good guy or a bad guy? Whatever there's virtually no substance to this character
  • Haines: lol Rockstar wants to do some serious story about a huge fbi cover-up, and they put this fratboy character in here wtf...same deal as weston, I don't love to hate these guys like in GTAIV.  In IV I can look at guys like Dimitri and Boccino as worthy adversaries, and even though I can't wait to kill them, I respect just how sinister they were.  Guys like Haines and Weston are just chumps who don't belong in a Rockstar game...especially not their marquee franchise.
  • Lazlow?...wow I can't believe that I go from being Ray Liotta in Miami killing everyone to get my cocaine back...and now I'm a middle aged dude with kids and my biggest concern is saving my bimbo imbocile daughter from being on..Lazlow's America's got talent knockoff?  Jesus Christ Gta Fans Wake the hell up and realize taht this game was garbage lmao
  • Madrazzo: THIS DUDE IS SOFT.  Imagine Niko accidentally destroying any of the IV antagonists houses...he'd be gone in a second because you don't mess with those guys, but this dude is a chump.  Not only that but any of the other gta protags would've eaten this guy for breakfast instead of breaking their necks to please this dude.  Btw the voice acting job for Madrazzo was god awful, he sounds like he's got a mouth full of marbles.

I could go on but I think this is enough...I actually had a hard time remembering the antagonists for V lol.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Chorizombie
  • Chorizombie

Trick

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

@Pilscy dude the "breaking bad sh*t" lmao I've been complaining about this forever!  What was up with those TP Industry missions??  Laame.  

Okay so before I say this, I've gotta make sure you guys understand that I completely hated ACIII as a whole (the story was ridiculous...like gtav's lol) so u don't think I'm crazy for bringing it up, but dude the convoy/profit system was hella fun.  For those of you who didn't play it,  you buy product in bulk and make money via shipping it through land/sea convoy, but you gotta keep an eye on the convoy and make sure it gets there...anyone see where I'm going with this??

Building TP Industries shouldn't have been bs flying mini missions, it should have involved a complex system of purchasing product, and making sure it gets there.  Then the money you make is spent to upgrade TP Industries: Hiring more meth cooks, lvling up those meth cooks, lvling up your meth lab operation, purchasing even bigger amounts of product, creating a land convoy, lvling up that land convoy, creating a sea convoy, lvling up that sea convoy, and then finally (my favorite) building an air convoy.  They could've shined with amazingness with something like this, and Imagine being trevor strutting around the airport keeping an eye on the operation: Seeing dudes cooking meth in an upgraded meth superlab, watching your many hired workers loading product into trucks, planes, and boats.  

I can't stress this enough that it isn't enough to just HAVE money rockstar, I have to feel like I EARNED money via badass awesomeness; hence assets in gtav being stupid and half-assed because i'm magically making money without doing anything.  When they announced TP Industries, this cool idea mentioned above was what I was expecting.  Only because this is rockstar and they should've thought of something cool like this, not me lol.

Thats a georgeus idea, man. I imagined how the gameplay would have been, Rockstar still can implement all of this. From the way I see it, GTA 5 wasnt able to handle all of this, butget I hope we get great expanssion packs. Still the fbi storyline was sh*t.
  • Gta Rory likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:27 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 03 May 2014 - 12:28 PM.

That idea surrounding TPE sounds so f*cking epic. I think that was the most disappointing aspects of GTA V's story. The trailers made it seem like it was going to be a huge part of the game yet it was over before it really started.

Maybe we might get some DLC like GTA Rory described perhaps serving as a prequel to the game. I actually think it would be interesting to build TPE from the ground up. Kind of like how Vic builds up his empire in VCS although in VC it's in its demise.
  • Gta Rory likes this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

To answer the OP's points:

1) Michael is not in an official witness protection programme, which is why it is not particularly thorough. It's set up solely by Dave Norton with the deal him and Michael made. They don't really expect anyone to come looking for him, because his death was faked. Wade takes days to track him down, by going through every name in the phone book (millions). No one in their right mind would do that without going bonkers, but Wade's too afraid of Trevor not to come back without the answer.

2) Trevor did end up in the same county, it is coincidence, but I don't view that as a bad thing. Life is full of these funny coincidences.

3) Again, Michael doesn't need to look any different. He was notorious in North Yankton, but probably not big national news.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

I liked the story.  I did not love the story, but I liked the story.

I think it's above average for the industry considering that the average story in the industry is (a) rescue the princess or (b) go to an island and kill all the bad people.

I think more than most other stories, it had potential.  It had the potential to be Rockstar's best story, but the inconsistent character behavior and contrived plot devices hurt it.

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:49 AM Edited by Gta Rory, 05 May 2014 - 04:50 AM.

To answer the OP's points:

1) Michael is not in an official witness protection programme, which is why it is not particularly thorough. It's set up solely by Dave Norton with the deal him and Michael made. They don't really expect anyone to come looking for him, because his death was faked. Wade takes days to track him down, by going through every name in the phone book (millions). No one in their right mind would do that without going bonkers, but Wade's too afraid of Trevor not to come back without the answer.

An FBI agent is too dumb/lazy to change michael and his family members' first names?  Especially knowing that Trevor is still out there?

Your point about Wade only supports my argument about how ridiculous it was for him to go through millions of names in the phone book and find Michael in a few days.  If this were a Ubisoft game then yea I'd say good story guys!  But no, this is Rockstar...they're much better than this.  

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

I know double posting is a bad thing so sorry everyone.  I just wanted to announce that I'm starting a thread about the TP Industries idea that I had, because everyone seemed to like it so much.  The TP Industries idea I had started to veer this thread off topic a little, so any feedback you guys have on it should go on that thread instead of this one so that we can get more people talking about how bad the GTAV story was on this one lol.  

Thanks everyone!

GTA Rory

• theGTAking101 likes this

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

I love the story just because I learned to love the protags. Everyone else I hated. Lamar was just the worst excuse of a gangbanger (like in that mission where you kidnap the balla and he doesn't have his mask on) getting me into traps + trusting stretch at all. Mikey's Family was just a cringeworthy example of where most (not all) american familys are heading. @ least Wade and Ron are entertaining.

• Gta Rory likes this

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:18 PM Edited by Gta Rory, 07 May 2014 - 09:23 PM.

I love the story just because I learned to love the protags. Everyone else I hated. Lamar was just the worst excuse of a gangbanger (like in that mission where you kidnap the balla and he doesn't have his mask on) getting me into traps + trusting stretch at all. Mikey's Family was just a cringeworthy example of where most (not all) american familys are heading. @ least Wade and Ron are entertaining.

Wade was definitely one place where I give rockstar credit where credit is due, so many of these characters sucked but wade was lovable and hillarious.

Am I the only one who was disapointed to death with Trevor?  When I saw trailer 2 and trevor's character trailer, I thought he was gonna be the greatest character ever!  So much of his dialogue is so one-linery, laugh here ____, cheesy and lame lol.  I think people get confused when they talk about trevor being awesome, because they're thinking of Steve's acting brilliance.  He did such a great job as a voice actor that all of the stupid things that trevor says that aren't funny don't end up coming across as being as dumb as they really are.

Think I'm kidding?  Play through the game again and see for yourself...I was amazed at how bad Trevor's dialogue was throughout the story.  He could've been a character for the ages no doubt.

• burnstern and theGTAking101 like this

Sir Winthorpe Herrington
  • Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

It wasn't one of my favorite stories because I'm more biased towards the rags to riches theme. It's fun coming from nothing and at the end you have this giant in game empire you have created. For me as far as story goes I liked VC and SA better but this was still ok. I hated being pushed around by Madrazzo (nearly every other gta protag would have killed the f*ck), and being the gov's little bitch boy was really sh*tty. The moment that steve haines became a problem we should of had him set up and killed, not suck his dick for a bunch more missions.

• Gta Rory likes this

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

It wasn't one of my favorite stories because I'm more biased towards the rags to riches theme. It's fun coming from nothing and at the end you have this giant in game empire you have created. For me as far as story goes I liked VC and SA better but this was still ok. I hated being pushed around by Madrazzo (nearly every other gta protag would have killed the f*ck), and being the gov's little bitch boy was really sh*tty. The moment that steve haines became a problem we should of had him set up and killed, not suck his dick for a bunch more missions.

Rags to riches has been their formula for success with this franchise forever, if it aint broke don't fix it.  I felt like the core problem with V was that they were trying to make it something that it's not...

Also, in a game that's about the "pursuit of the almighty dollar," why bother?  I started the game with a mansion..

Madrazzo was a stupid character, and it just showed how soft Michael was.  When he wasn't crying about his old highschool football days in the therapist office, he was taking sh*t from lame ass fratboy characters.  I love how the GTA fanbase has been highjacked by saints row/call of duty wackjobs, and they say that Niko was a whiney protagonist...Niko whined about having to witness children with their throats cut.  Michael whines about pointless bullsh*t.

• TheOtherRyan, Choco Taco, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Mr.Raspberry Jam
  • Mr.Raspberry Jam

Bringing great joy to a lonely man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

It's always bothered me that it was so easy for people to track down/realise that Michael was Michael Townley. For example when he's talking to Dave (can't remember the mission) and one of them says how his face was all over the news. So how come no one recognised him in Los Santos?
Then when he gets tracked down so easily by Wade, just by recognising his first name and that he has two kids and a wife named Amanda.
Also, in the jewel store heist one of the guys you can hire says something like "Michael DeSanta, formerly Michael Townley, right?"
Obviously every story has plot holes but this just seemed too obvious for Rockstar to oversee. Maybe it was supposed to be like this because of a future dlc? Like maybe people start to notice that he's Michael Townley? Seems very unlikely though.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

Jeez poor GTA rory got banned  :cry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users