Quantcast

» «
Photo

Story Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Did You LIke The Story? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Graphics and Gameplay Aside, Did You Like the Story?

1. Yes (66 votes [65.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.35%

2. No (35 votes [34.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.65%

Vote
Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hey guys, I'm a huge gta fanboy...I've even gotten fan art posted on the rockstar newswire.  Unfortunately I actually hated this story..I absolutely loved gta 4 to death, the way that niko, johnny, and luis were connected was ingenious.  So I want to present some problems I have with the story for gta 5 and hopefully you guys can change my mind.  (Just the story, we all know the graphics are good and the game plays well)

So the core of the story is based on Michael betraying Trevor, and here are problems I have in order of worst to meh:

1.The FIB not only forgets to change Michael's first name, but his entire familys' first names, so Wade is able to track them down in like a day...lazy story telling to me, but try and defend it.

2. Trevor coincidentally ends up not only in the same state as Michael, but in bordering counties...more lazy storytelling?

-I have to say this: How cool would it have been if the reason that Trevor is insane, is that he went crazy over the death of the only person that ever cared about him?  And he became so obsessed with Michael's death that he ended up in Blaine County because he was actually convinced that it was a conspiracy, and he's on the trail, and tracked Michael to somewhere in los santos?  Sounds much better than, well....Trevor just wound up there just cuz, and he finds michael cuz uh....he's got the same first name maybe?...

3. Michael doesn't look any different:  Hear me out on this one.  They refer to the former Michael Townley as: "THE FAMOUS MICHAEL TOWNLEY."  So wouldn't he be one of America's most wanted?  Wouldn't "The Famous Michael Townley's" face be all over the place?  So lemme use an example.  Say Dzhokar Tsarnaev made a deal with the FBI to turn in his brother in return for being set up in a mansion in LA.  That's great and all, but people would recognize him walking around.  Not only that but anyone who is suspicious of someone who looks literally exactly the same as Dzhokar would see that they have the same first name and do something.  Again, it just feels like really lazy storytelling, and the only reason I feel like I hate this story is because of how amazing gta4 was...I hold rockstar to a higher standard than other developers because well...they're the best.  

I have more things wrong with the story, but I didn't realize how long this was going to end up being lol so I'll end with my biggest Franklin problem, and arguably one of the biggest problems in the entire story.  

GTA Purists and longtime fans will agree with this point, and bandwagon fans will call me a hater but whatevs:

So I reaaaaaally didn't want grove street (or any other past gta things for that matter) in this game.  Leslie Benzies specifically said that they weren't going to cross the universes, and I was 110% on board and here's why: Grove Street is completely ruined.  There's no explanation for whatever happened to all of our favorite characters in San Andreas and to add insult to injury, the ballas have taken it over???  And to top it off, they have us play as a protagonist, Franklin, who doesn't end up taking it back...why?!  I think we can all agree that it totally sucks that grove street has been taken by the dudes we spent so many hours defending it from back in San Andreas as CJ, and that we don't take it back as Franklin....SO WHY WRITE THE STORY LIKE THAT???  Anyone with a good defense for this, I'm beggin you show me what you got.  I wanna believe that Rockstar didn't completely lay an egg with this game, but I've got nothin.

LIke I said, I also have other points but these are my best ones so I'll see how this thread goes and maybe do another one if you guys are cool. 

• burnstern, Choco Taco, BlackNoise and 4 others like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

The story was OK, but it doesn't meet the expectations of a GTA game, so I voted "no", as there is no "it was OK" option.

There were only 69 missions, and some of them take less than 5 minutes to complete. Masks, for example.

The FIB also gave too many missions, considering that there are only 69 missions in total.

Spoiler

• theGTAking101, Wayne Kerr, Voggens and 2 others like this

JeffreyDahmer
  • JeffreyDahmer

Dan Houser Is God

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

tbh i quite liked the Storyline i found the Government thing to be quite Interesting the only thing i did not like was the whole Gimmicky vibe it had   it felt to Comedy at times IV For me was a better Balance of Serious and Comedy. either way i would easily rate it over San Andreas and  the Saints row games and Even Vice City In Terms Of Story.  

But its not on the Level of  IV Red Dead or Max Payne 3 or even non R* Crime games Like Mafia 2 And Sleeping Dogs.

• Gta Rory likes this

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

I felt that the game could have used some padder missions. For example, a few, go here kill these guys, andsrive off.
Like some generic gangbanging missions for Franklin, and some TPI missions for Trevor.

GTA 4 was full of them, but 5 dent have enough. Try could jab added like 6/7 missions this way legitimately.
  • Detective Phelps and Gta Rory like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Once an SFPD officer, now a Templar

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:35 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 26 April 2014 - 10:35 AM.

1. Yup. Pretty weird. However, Michael wasn't in an actual witness protection program, it's highly likely Dave just set him up with a new identity and set him free. Real people in witness protection usually end up in some backwards desert town and have to work menial 9-5 jobs for a living. They have to be as average as possible, to not bring any attention to themselves. Not be millionares in Rockford Hills.

Dave kept this under wraps too. As corrupt GTA government is, I doubt they'd promote him if they knew he let Michael go. After all, North Yankton didn't go exactly to the plan, did it? Okay, Brad was dead, but Trevor escaped. So Dave pretty much just let the brains of the group get away with it and the brawn was free to continue causing mayhem. Good job Dave, you got the "third guy"!

And, I may not remember this correctly, but wasn't Haines blackmailing Dave into co-opearing with him, by threatening him that he'd expose the deal with Michael?

As for Wade finding them, yeah, that was really bad. There are millions of people living in Los Santos, and he's able to find Michael, on a first name basis, in a phone directory? What the hell. It would be hard, even when knowing Amanda, Jimmy and Tracey's names.

2. AFAIK, Trevor was there because he thought Brad was in Boilingbroke. Still, it would have been interesting if Trevor suspected foul play all along.

3. I doubt Michael was that famous. FIB and other law enforcement agencies obviously knew him well and he definitely had a rep among criminals, but what would the average Joe know about him? Some guy here robbed a security van, stole millions of czech crowns and disappeared few years ago. His face was all over the news a couple of months, but the media then moved onto some new sensation. If I met that guy on the street now, I most likely wouldn't recognize him. I think the "fame" mentioned was just the fame in criminal underworld and among law enforcement more than anything else.

4. Grove Street? Eh, I thought it was a cool reference and I really liked it. Just like Francis International in IV. But nothing more, nothing less, this is just a different universe.

• Wayne Kerr, pilscy and Gta Rory like this

burnstern
  • burnstern

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

I enjoyed the story for the most part, but I felt similarly disappointed. The long wait, the enormous hype and the incredible trailers meant there was always going to be some degree of anti-climax, but yeah, I do feel it fell short in quite a few areas. You've already covered it pretty well, but he's my couple of cents.

Michael, Trevor and Franklin are great characters, and each actor did a fine job on them. The problem is the story doesn't develop enough, or take enough risks, for them to realize their full potential. Franklin in particular

Spoiler

Michael's story at least feels the most consistent. But even then, there's little of the tension or intrigue IV had in spades, and while I can totally appreciate Rockstar wanting a new direction for V to go on, the dramatic, razor sharp parody of Southern California and the crime genre this could have been descends into high farce too often and too easily. Bury the Hatchet should have been a pivitol moment, but we already knew what was going to happen. The twists I expected to happen after "The Wrap Up" never happened. The Big Score was a blast, but it should have been more than than just another heist.

I've already mentioned my disappointment towards the lack of a proper antagonist and Franklin's

Spoiler
But for all this moaning I did still watch the credits roll thinking I'd just finished an awesome game. The way I look at it, IV was like an HBO drama that gave you the time to really sink your teeth into a huge odyssey of a story and a massive cast, albeit with all the filler episodes and pacing issues you would expect. V is more like a Hollywood movie. It's fast and it's fun, but it sacrifices development of plot and character to be it. For some people that's a good trade-off, but for those who love Grand Theft Auto as a crime saga as well as a video game...I think we'd like no compromises from VI's story.

• Cutter De Blanc, Wayne Kerr, QuietJosh and 3 others like this

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

I have liked most gta storylines because there is always something good in them and helps us to understand the charecters better,.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

The storyline was very different, that is what R* wanted. They kind of combined RDR's story a bit to GTA V's. It was about 3 criminals kicking it in LS Hollywood style. GTA V was insipered by a LA Crime film ''Heat''. Thats why GTA Vs storyline is different

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

It wasn't perfect and had it's flaws but for the most part I enjoyed it. Strictly story though I do feel IV was better. 

• Detective Phelps and Gta Rory like this

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

IV had a much better storyline when I play IV I feel some of the thing's Niko was going through ,in IV I felt more of a distance from the characters I really didn't care about Franklin's girlfriend ,and I thought she was thrown in to kill some time if you blinked fast you would have missed her part in the story,and Michael's kids made me wish they died at birth. The only one I could somewhat have some feeling about was Trevor.

• Detective Phelps likes this

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

The story was ok. Not bad, not great, just ok.

What I did miss was more "gang wars". I felt like Franklin forgot the families after he met Michael...

• warlord GTAV likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:31 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 26 April 2014 - 02:32 PM.

Loved the story. It had a very similar vibe to Vice City which is my favorite GTA in terms of vibe.

IV's story was overrated.

/waits for IV brigade and SOL.

• Miamivicecity likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:03 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 26 April 2014 - 03:05 PM.

The story was alright, but I didn't feel any connection or care for the characters or what they done like I did with IV. Funnily enough I finished IV (in full) for the first time since 2009 a few weeks ago and I could still remember more characters than what I can in V.

V's cast even with the S & F and random events genuinely feels smaller and not as diverse as IV. I miss getting to experience different criminal organisations and feeling like I'm actually in a criminal underworld.

And I'm sorry to all the Michael, Trevor and Franklin lovers, but Niko is still the man.;)

IV's story was overrated.

*Takes DM off Christmas card list*
  • DeafMetal, theGTAking101 and Drunken Cowboy like this

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:06 PM Edited by Gta Rory, 26 April 2014 - 10:11 PM.

lol burnstern I agree, the trailers felt so amazing, and the story was a dissapoint

@deafmetal, gta iv if anything is completely underrated wtf are you talking about.  It's by far one of the greatest stories in video game history, let alone the best in the series...

defend that answer, I want to know why you think it's overrated

• burnstern and theGTAking101 like this

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

Honestly I feel like the story was way too lazy, compared to the amazing script and storyline in GTA IV I was coming into this game being blown away.. instead I finished the game wondering where all those 5 years of development went into aside from the map and Online.

It has forgettable characters and a rushed story to the point where you end up being lost at many points, as well as the fact they didn't leave you to do much in most areas (like 5 missions tops in the hood, or other places I won't spoil just in case). 

All of the main guys were interesting at first, but once you went far into the story it just looked like R* was trying hard to make us enjoy them even more, I was already starting to get annoyed by them all near the middle of the game, and that's saying a lot for someone that literally loved mostly every main character in ALL of R*'s games, not just the GTA franchise.

• theGTAking101 and Gta Rory like this

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

I wish the story explored more of Franklin and Trevors personal stories.
Ne'er understood the whole Tanisha thing.
  • warlord GTAV likes this

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

@Johan, I completely agree...Its almost like they felt pressure from saints row (I don't know why they would lmao) to delve into a bunch of ridiculousness because of all of the people whining about how serious IV was, even though IV was a masterpiece.

@trevorphilipjfry nice username haha, yea I hated the whole Tanisha thing.  It really showed how not only did they rush the entire story, but that the multiple-protagonist thing was just an excuse for them to shove any idea that popped into their heads into this game. 

• theGTAking101 likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

I wanted a story like GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption.

V's story was okay though. I feel like Michael's story is the better of the three though and was what I was looking for.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

1) Michael technically wasn't in Witness Protection. It's possible Dave just didn't try very hard to hide him.

2) It's just for convenience. You have to remember that it's still a video game. They're not gonna make super-complex and super-realistic plots.

3) I highly doubt he was famous outside of the Federal Government. Also, he was supposed to be dead, so people would look at him and be like "Wow, that guy looks like that other guy", but that'd be the extent of it.

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

1) Michael technically wasn't in Witness Protection. It's possible Dave just didn't try very hard to hide him.

2) It's just for convenience. You have to remember that it's still a video game. They're not gonna make super-complex and super-realistic plots.

3) I highly doubt he was famous outside of the Federal Government. Also, he was supposed to be dead, so people would look at him and be like "Wow, that guy looks like that other guy", but that'd be the extent of it.

Dave just didn't try very hard to hide him?  lol again...lazy storytelling 

Saiyanskillz
  • Saiyanskillz

Lures like Terminus, bites like Tyson

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

I feel quite similar about the story actually. I enjoyed it, but there were a lot of faults within it. Franklin being "that guy" is a perfect example, as someone mentioned in an earlier post.

I do believe the reason the story wasn't very long involves dlc.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

I feel quite similar about the story actually. I enjoyed it, but there were a lot of faults within it. Franklin being "that guy" is a perfect example, as someone mentioned in an earlier post.

I do believe the reason the story wasn't very long involves dlc.

The reason the story wasn't long is because less than 30% of people completed GTA IV.

Dave just didn't try very hard to hide him?  lol again...lazy storytelling 

That could very well be the reason. We'll never know.

BrokenLizard
  • BrokenLizard

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

The story failed to engage me. I often found myself drifting off, not even acknowledging what was happening. Frankly, I didn't care.
The characters are forgettable, they felt done before.
7/10

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

Well graphics and gameplay aside, story was the most important thing that was highly awaited to enjoy in GTA V.
But, it fails to impress ME, some liked the change, and some did piss on the stupid chain of events that don't give a f*cking clue about what's going on?
Not much has been explained in certain confusing twists, and also the relationship with the protagnists also fails to keep MY interest till the end.
I FELT like it was a boring action high-budgeted movie that was promoted amazingly but, instead appears ( TO ME ) to be a casual one with no efforts put in to bring more depth, reasoning, believability and importantly, memorable protags, as with TOMMY, CJ OR NIKO, for instance.
I can add a lot to the bad sides of the story, but frankly, its not worth to discuss AFTER release of the game, except let's wait to see how much the DLC improves it, or changes the writing, and also possibly gives some life to the poor condition of the flow of main story, lacking any serious effort to engage ME.

Voggens
  • Voggens

So...

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

The story is not bad, it had great potential in the beginning and the missions are good, but it wasn't what I imagined while watching Trailer 1, so my vote is No. The whole FBI/IAA/Merryweather problem was confusing and boring to me, it wasn't fun at all being the government's bitch and doing heists for them, most of the times gaining nothing, that's a funny way to contradict "the persuit of the almighty dollar" they teased us with, I tought we would do a lot of heists like Three Leaf Clover by will, the only bank heists were the Paleto Savings Bank and the Union Depository. The UD felt a bit forced, it wasn't a big trophy to me, I remember they teased the bank on the first mission where Lamar said something like "We're passing through the Union Depository ma'af*cka!" and Franklin's reply was "The super bank? Nigga, you're crazy". Michael or Trevor never mentioned it before Derailed so it didn't felt like "a dream coming true". The ending was forced as well, C seems to be canon but killing the four "antagonists" in one mission... are you f*cking kidding me? Where's that tranquility feeling of getting rid of an antagonist through the story? Executing Dimitri on the Platypus in IV was epic as hell. Stretch and Wei Cheng were bad jokes, Devin Weston was ridiculous and Steve Haines, well, he's the only one that can be memorable. The only well developed supporting characters were Lamar, Lester, Amanda, Tracey, Jimmy and Steve Haines IMO. Davey comes out of nowhere entering Michael's house like the door doesn't exist, Franklin works as a repo man with Simeon in only 3 missions, Franklin's description was him being a repo man, they never mentioned him being just the backup dude that never entered to rob a bank with Michael and Trevor and Ron is just scared of Trevor. When you hang out with some of them they don't talk much about their past like in IV, we learned more from the characters by doing this, including Niko.

I like the characters, but 69 missions are not enough for this story.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

I'll be honest here, they definitley squandered the potential in three protagonists. Having three people, being able to see more than just one person's take on the matter, doesn't make everything so black and white.

Yet, they somehow decided to cram the story into 69 missions leaving so many plot lines undeveloped to try and focus on the primary focus of the story.

In the end I feel if Rockstar wants to tackle three, or even two, protagonists again they've got to increase the number of missions. It's a great concept which opens up more story possibilities than a single protagonist game, but to put it bluntly they f*cked it up big time.
  • Miamivicecity likes this

pilscy
  • pilscy

Don Vito

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

from day 1 i was saying it and I'm still saying this... this game has alot of wasted potential .

everything from interiors to missions just seems rushed and lazy to me

Heres my list of missions that could've happen... but Rockstar was to fckin lazy to do it

- Franklin Gangbanging Missions : Yeah he says he doesn't wanna be in that life no mo... and lives in the hills and sh*t now but it woulda been cool if he actually worked his way out of the house... After the stretch thing... that could've led to so many missions/drive bys but rockstar completely abandoned this area of the game..

- Franklin Robbery and Invasion missions : I already hate stealth but I would've love using it creeping around someones hows and stealing their sh*t

and if you could've recruit homies with you.....

then franklin mentions a few robbery jobs when they where on their way to the heist . you remember how Michael had a flashback and went back to north yankton ?... why couldn't those robberies be like that but missions ....... instead of stealing a bugstar van for a mission???? This could've been a way to get lamar in the story more and talking bout lamar.... 

He just gets kidnapped at the end? But nothing leading up to that... more gang banging missions where 'Lamar could've pissed to ballas off one last time' coulda lead to that. (having a bunch of other sh*t that happened)

and after that its over but franklin owns a green rag.. great. Imma just put in work myself with no homies

I was looking forward to some breaking bad sh*t with trevor... you know.. moving/shiping/selling meth but none of that happened. Instead the game was about the fckin  FIB ....

I was looking forward to trevor having a scene like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r5aUrAnFy0 

Him, wade, ron, chef - This could've been a whole next storyline.... and if someone from rockstar is reading this please send a nigga a pay check cuz y'all mofos suck at coming up with story lines and keeping em going

Chef character was wasted just like lamar.. Trevor shoulda been able to hang out with him at least.

but Trevor missions woulda been just as fun as franklin gang banging ... Drug Trafficking but land and boat//// fighting madrazon, bikers, oneils and azetecas over who controls the sales in sandy shores .....  could've even lead to missions with franklin and lamar helping him and chef fight of some enemies.. but no....

micheal is just boring... his storyline really was never interesting... no substance. 

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Midnight Wanderer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

So the core of the story is based on Michael betraying Trevor, and here are problems I have in order of worst to meh:

1.The FIB not only forgets to change Michael's first name, but his entire familys' first names, so Wade is able to track them down in like a day...lazy story telling to me, but try and defend it.

Exactly. I don't like the background story of any characters. Michael didn't exactly betray Trevor. The witness protection thing is a total, lazy joke if you ask me. Trevor was successful in re-tracing Michael. Changing surname makes no sense.

2. Trevor coincidentally ends up not only in the same state as Michael, but in bordering counties...more lazy storytelling?

Agreed. But, it's GTA. They did it just to make 2 ends meet.

Overall, GTA V didn't have an actual story. It's just a connection of incidents. There were too many characters, lazy in their work and the story pulling things together and with too many characters, who respectively had very less role to play in storyline. What's the use of a big script if they can't make an actual story?

The heists were nothing comparable to the trouble Niko and his team did in the end of GTA IV. Even, CJ's gang wars and the fights to reunite the families was much more interesting and gives enthusiasm to a player. Ending should be happy, but Trevor and Michael were prepared for another argument. I didn't find that good.

Spoiler
  • Sintation likes this

Gta Rory
  • Gta Rory

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:16 AM Edited by Gta Rory, 30 April 2014 - 05:17 AM.

@Pilscy dude the "breaking bad sh*t" lmao I've been complaining about this forever!  What was up with those TP Industry missions??  Laame.  

Okay so before I say this, I've gotta make sure you guys understand that I completely hated ACIII as a whole (the story was ridiculous...like gtav's lol) so u don't think I'm crazy for bringing it up, but dude the convoy/profit system was hella fun.  For those of you who didn't play it,  you buy product in bulk and make money via shipping it through land/sea convoy, but you gotta keep an eye on the convoy and make sure it gets there...anyone see where I'm going with this??

Building TP Industries shouldn't have been bs flying mini missions, it should have involved a complex system of purchasing product, and making sure it gets there.  Then the money you make is spent to upgrade TP Industries: Hiring more meth cooks, lvling up those meth cooks, lvling up your meth lab operation, purchasing even bigger amounts of product, creating a land convoy, lvling up that land convoy, creating a sea convoy, lvling up that sea convoy, and then finally (my favorite) building an air convoy.  They could've shined with amazingness with something like this, and Imagine being trevor strutting around the airport keeping an eye on the operation: Seeing dudes cooking meth in an upgraded meth superlab, watching your many hired workers loading product into trucks, planes, and boats.  

I can't stress this enough that it isn't enough to just HAVE money rockstar, I have to feel like I EARNED money via badass awesomeness; hence assets in gtav being stupid and half-assed because i'm magically making money without doing anything.  When they announced TP Industries, this cool idea mentioned above was what I was expecting.  Only because this is rockstar and they should've thought of something cool like this, not me lol.

• A-Wax8 and Chorizombie like this

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:23 AM Edited by Peachrocks, 30 April 2014 - 07:24 AM.

Nah, on a scale of one to ten I'd rate it a 4 if GTA IV was a 8. As for lazy story telling, you sort of expect it in games. So few games do not have at least one (usually several) elements that could be argued as lazy storytelling. No... my dislike of it comes elsewhere...

It had it's good moments and all of the characters have potential but the honest true a lot of it was burned because of Trevor's identity crisis and how the FIB was written into the story and the player was made to feel like their bitch the entire time. When Niko worked with the IAA this feeling wasn't as dominant because Niko had something to gain, in the FIB case it's simply having to fight for what they already had.

Not to mention the IAA saga didn't drag on very long at all, the FIB thing basically was involved from the diamond heist and on and it's for mostly that part of the story that I find so mediocre. In addition to the fact that many of the problems in the plot could be resolved with 'Kill Trevor' ironically up until the time you actually can where it doesn't make sense to do so.

Then there's the fact we don't really have a good reason for Trevor's existence, golden example is the Union Depository job, Michael says to Lester that 'we need Trevor'. Why? It's never said why. If anything he's a massive liability that is given no real reason for being kept around other than because 'the plot says we need a lolrandom character'.

I love the story even more than GTA IV until after the diamond heist and it scores 3 of its 4 points in that alone. After that's it's really poor with a lot of thrown in elements that don't add up (Trevor and the FIB mostly) and Franklin completely loses his significance in the plot.

The movie thing for Michael comes in near the end and things hardly look stable for him ever so I don't feel he lost his significance, certainly not to the degree that Franklin did where his goals are basically Michael's goals from the diamond heist onwards.

Building TP Industries shouldn't have been bs flying mini missions, it should have involved a complex system of purchasing product, and making sure it gets there.  Then the money you make is spent to upgrade TP Industries: Hiring more meth cooks, lvling up those meth cooks, lvling up your meth lab operation, purchasing even bigger amounts of product, creating a land convoy, lvling up that land convoy, creating a sea convoy, lvling up that sea convoy, and then finally (my favorite) building an air convoy.  They could've shined with amazingness with something like this, and Imagine being trevor strutting around the airport keeping an eye on the operation: Seeing dudes cooking meth in an upgraded meth superlab, watching your many hired workers loading product into trucks, planes, and boats.  

A cute idea but considering how Trevor was aimed (lol random rampage... rofllol) I doubt his intended audience would have appreciated it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users