Quantcast

» «
Photo

What is with the absurd hatebase for this game?

88 replies to this topic
Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

Title says it all. I've noticed that IV has a really absurd hatebase which loves to endlessly drone about its "faults" (many of which are just personal preferences and many of which plain aren't faults) and just never shut up about how much it sucks. Mention IV anywhere else but here, and you'll get 80 people talking about how it sucked within MINUTES. Seriously, what? This game does have a large fanbase as this forums shows and its massive sales also show that, but seriously why is this the ONLY place on the web where IV isn't blown to pieces the instant its mentioned?

• theGTAking101, WandererNiko and Saschaboy like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Is the sky f*cking blue?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

Maybe because most people can't comprehend the realistic yet simple driving mechanics, or because of the dark atmosphere and lack of 'explosive' missions.

• SonOfLiberty, kvic, Shenmue18 and 14 others like this

Yolo Swaggins
  • Yolo Swaggins

A real, talking rabbit!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

People get mad because it doesn't have jetpacks, tanks or over-powered weapons.

• Street Mix, B Dawg, lol232 and 12 others like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Is the sky f*cking blue?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

That too haha. The reason behind the great multiplayer. Want to rape with the Annihilator? Learn to fly and circle strafe.

• lol232, TensaZangetsu, thekillerdonuts and 4 others like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

TOO HAWNEE TO FIGHT CRIME!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:21 PM

V came out. People who like V have the compulsion to sh*t all over IV in order to prove V is better or even just convince themselves that it is.

I find it funny that when people insult V they go on about horrible plot inconsistencies, unlikable characters, dissappointing missions, and hacked, boring, and neglected online.

And when people insult IV, it's usually along the lines of "Too dark and scary... Driving's clunky. Hurrrrr."

That too haha. The reason behind the great multiplayer. Want to rape with the Annihilator? Learn to fly and circle strafe.

Yeah... or you could just leave people the f*ck alone instead of trying to troll and kill them, which seemed to be more the attitude in IV and Red Dead. With all the hardcore tools in V it's impractical to think no one's gonna use them... The world isn't ready for tanks.

• orbitalraindrops, Ermac., thekillerdonuts and 5 others like this

FlyeThemoon
  • FlyeThemoon

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

Side missions, dont offer nothing new except abusing helpless animals.

• kipakolonyasi likes this

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:41 AM

I haven't seen anyone hate on IV since September 17.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:13 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 26 April 2014 - 10:17 AM.

People hate IV because it goes completely against what the majority want. In a way I would almost say it has a cult following.
  • dtsmucker and GtaivCop like this

JeffreyDahmer
  • JeffreyDahmer

Dan Houser Is God

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

because its the Opposite of San Andres and sa for some Reason is Universally loved where IV On the Internet for the Majority seems to be Universally Hated its a shame but i guess its the way it goes.

if IV Had a stupid Storyline ott Missions And Gimmicky features it would Be Loved.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Because some people have their opinions. I love IV and I love dark and gritty stories but it is not for everybody and some people just want over the top action. I can say the same thing for people who hate V but everybody has their opinions. I hope R makes another game like or at least makes a more gritty and dark DLC for V the way they made a light and over the top DLC with TBOGT.

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

I think a lot has to do with the current age of the gaming community it's not as bright and happy go lucky as V,everyone to me seems to want new haircut's or new clothes and and bigger fancier places to live in V.

• uncredited likes this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:33 PM Edited by Jimbatron, 26 April 2014 - 04:35 PM.

It baffles me to the extent of the negative reaction in some quarters towards IV, and to V (since that's been mentioned too).

I think some of it may be fundamentally because you've got a very, very popular series with a 5 year release window. That's a lot of time for people's imaginations to run wild with exactly what they want the next one to be like. If it doesn't turn out how you wanted it, then that can lead to disappointment. I see this a lot with San Andreas fans who were miffed at some features being removed and the style of the story line for example.

I know it's been like this for me with Star Wars. I grew up with the originals as a kid. When the prequels came out, I have a very clear idea how I would have written Anakin's fall to the Dark Side - and they was it was done was disappointing. That said there's a difference in this comparison - Episodes I-III were mediocre films on top of this in my opinion. I haven't played an R* game yet (including MP3, RDR and LA Noire) that isn't in the good to excellent bracket.

Aaron030792
  • Aaron030792

I love curry. :D

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

No chrome.
No swag.
No tanks.
No Adders.
No mansions.
Dark, gloomy atmosphere.

I loved IV personally. Peds were funnier, LC felt much grittier and dangerous than LS.

Couldn't satisfy the Swaggers, and scared the hell out of the pansy Hipsters.
  • Failure, Katve, Drunken Cowboy and 2 others like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:13 PM Edited by Staten, 26 April 2014 - 05:16 PM.

When a game, or movie, or book or TV series makes sweeping changes to what it previously does, a lot of people get personally hurt no matter whether the change is good or bad in itself.  This effect is worsened by the way opinions are made out to be absolute truths (e.g. instead of "I didn't like this" we get "this is fundamentally broken" or instead of "that part of the story was sad" we get "the story was riddled with plot holes"). We saw this with the changes between SA and IV, and we're now seeing it between IV and V.

• kipakolonyasi and fefenc like this

123tm123
  • 123tm123

Peon

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

Maybe because most people can't comprehend the realistic yet simple driving mechanics, or because of the dark atmosphere and lack of 'explosive' missions.

If you think slinkies make for a good suspension system, you are mistaken.

Acceleration was completely unrealistic.

Top speeds were completely unrealistic.

Turns shouldn't have skid marks like that.

Sloppy handling for cars.

Sluggish performance for high end cars.

The driving was a mess. People need to stop saying it was the best, heck San Andreas was more realistic, and fun.

• Midnightz and MythAlex like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

TOO HAWNEE TO FIGHT CRIME!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

The driving was a mess. People need to stop saying it was the best, heck San Andreas was more realistic, and fun.

And quite literally every vehicle in V feels like a supercar with velcro tires on a velcro road. 

There's gotta be some fine line between the sluggish boats in IV and the Saints Row supercars in V.

• B Dawg, thekillerdonuts and Kampret like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

People need to stop saying it was the best.

Considering it's a personal preference that's a stupid thing to say.
  • Shenmue18, Katve, Drunken Cowboy and 1 other like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

The elitism that IV fans have taken on recently is not going to help it's reputation. Thinking that anybody who prefers V style gameplay is a stupid casual who prefers explosion is not going to make people change their views about IV. The way a lot of IV fans felt about V after playing IV is how a lot of SA fans felt about IV. Their complaints are no less legitimate than the complaints about V.

• Midnightz, Mr. Donkey, Katve and 1 other like this

lol232
  • lol232

The Golden Butcher

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Someone never drove a car in real life.
That's so cute.
  • Officer620, Katve, Drunken Cowboy and 3 others like this

Officer620
  • Officer620

Federal Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

You must be one of the many hundreds of people I would chase around LC, watching you crash out hilariously because you couldn't handle the vehicles properly. Of course you'd be the type to love the handling in SA and V, it's completely UN-realistic. 

Cheers!

• Drunken Cowboy, dtsmucker, Ourumov and 2 others like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Save it for a rainy day

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

IV took a gritty and realistic approach to a GTA and there's no denying it - it handled it very well. However I do prefer the more original GTA-like approach to GTA V.

However, ones things for sure. You're not a "mature gamer" if you like IV. You are not a "squeaky little child" if you enjoy V. You are not "a true gamer" if you like V, you are not a true gamer if you like IV. People need to stop generalizing.

If you like IV and don't like V, you're a gamer.
If you like V and don't like IV, you're a gamer. It's called preferences.
  • SonOfLiberty, lol232, woggleman and 8 others like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

IV took a gritty and realistic approach to a GTA and there's no denying it - it handled it very well. However I do prefer the more original GTA-like approach to GTA V.

However, ones things for sure. You're not a "mature gamer" if you like IV. You are not a "squeaky little child" if you enjoy V. You are not "a true gamer" if you like V, you are not a true gamer if you like IV. People need to stop generalizing.

You said it perfectly. I loved the gritty approach to IV because it fit NYC. Even though IV took place in 2008 it feels like the NY from back in the 70s and 80s because it is so gritty and dirty. That setting calls for gritty and realistic. It fit IV like a glove.

V takes place in modern day LA and in some of the most superficial places you can think of. This is why it calls for the flashy and sort of over the top approach of V. It is the land of fast cars and fancy cars and expensive boats and aircrafts. Sandy Shores is the gritty part of V and out there you see beaten up cars and such. 

Both of these fit the setting very well and while I am remembering why I loved IV's driving I also love the driving of V and San Andreas. 

• The Odyssey and MythAlex like this

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Weekend Warlock

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

People who like story and atmosphere tend to prefer IV. People who like fancy weaponry and gameplay tend to like V

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Is the sky f*cking blue?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

People who like story and atmosphere tend to prefer IV. People who like fancy weaponry and gameplay tend to like V

But even the gameplay is superior in IV (subjective I know)

• thekillerdonuts and Sting4S like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:59 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 28 April 2014 - 01:59 AM.

Nah. GTA IV fans are elite gamers and GTA V fans are little children. :p
  • The Odyssey, Katve, Sting4S and 5 others like this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Big Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:43 AM Edited by Shenmue18, 28 April 2014 - 03:46 AM.

Well, with GTA V out, you have all the bandwagoners who jump onto the GTA V hype train, then you have all the people that want to go against the grain and hate on one of the most critically acclaimed games ever. Then there's the people who like GTA V more with it's over simplification of the gameplay and the God-awful story that has all the "Michael Bay moments" with the explosions and plot lines that lead nowhere.

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

Loc14
  • Loc14

King of Los Santos

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:16 PM Edited by Loc14, 28 April 2014 - 12:27 PM.

I didn't liked GTAIV too much because of that dark atmosphere.

The story was pretty good i guess, the gameplay was realistical too.

But even so it's my 4th favourite GTA, after VC, SA and V.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Big Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

I guess different strokes for different folks. For me, one of the best things about GTA IV that made me like it the most was the dark and gritty atmosphere.

If I ranked the GTA's, it'd go
1: GTA IV

2: GTA San Andreas

3: GTA Vice City Stories

4: GTA Vice City

5: GTA Liberty City Stories

6: GTA 3

7: GTA V

Never played the first two games.

Loc14
  • Loc14

King of Los Santos

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

About ranking GTAs mine would be:

1: GTA V

2: GTA San Andreas

3: GTA Vice City

4: GTA IV

5: GTA 3

SA is tied with V.

Ledsbourne
  • Ledsbourne

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:36 PM Edited by Ledsbourne, 28 April 2014 - 06:36 PM.

I think it's not about the dark, gritty atmosphere. What bothered me about IV the most was boring and repetitive missions. I mean, how many of those were just going to some random place, chasing a totally random guy and drive by shooting him then either killing him or running into some of his thugs and killing them all? IV had like 90 missions and only a couple of them were really memorable - and I don't mean stealing a railway car by a helicopter, just something neat and original, like Three Leaf Clover. That said, missions in episodes were far more original in most cases and I did enjoy both TLaD and TBoGT than vanilla. Which doesn't mean I didn't like normal GTA IV, I loved it from the very first moment. The city looks just magnificent and so lively, with all the random pedestrian dialogues, littered streets and living environment. I only played it for the first time last year, couple of months before the release of V and I was absolutely astonished with it.

On the other hand, I remember all the hype I got when San Andreas was being released. I was about 15 by that time so I had a lot more... emotional way with games. I remember watching those trailers with "Welcome to the Jungle" playing, reading about all the body modifications and how vast the map was and thinking "how is that even possible in a video game?" then playing that mission where you steal weapon crates from the army with Ryder on forklifts at my friend's house and enjoying it as hell. With Vice City it was also like that, talking with friends at school about the progress you made the previous day and boasting how far you are already... Now when I look at these games after playing IV, they look boxy, have this funky driving where cars react far too perfect for your moves and all, but they still had far more original missions which I can still remember to this day.

I haven't played V yet - waiting for PC release, I'm too oldschool for consoles - but despite 

Spoiler
and such bad plot moves, I hope I'll enjoy it anyway. I've never considered GTA as something supposed to be realistic even a single bit - it's an action game where you kill hordes of noname, one shot kill enemies in each mission, so saying IV was more realistic than SA because there was no jetpack sounds just awful to me.

• Tilemaxx and DutchGangsta like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users