Reminder: spam

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
200 replies to this topic
darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

So all you need to do is make spam longer?  

Like this? "In b4 Togepi" = I am sure that any second now, a picture of Togepi will be posted to this thread. 

Correct; however, since we frown mightily upon single image posts, odds that Togepi will be posted should be low, and therefore your statement is quantifiably false and worthy of a one-week temp ban.

For what?  Doing nothing?  I am making a logical statement about what you consider spam.

¥en
  • ¥en

Get Cage'd

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

So all you need to do is make spam longer?  

Like this? "In b4 Togepi" = I am sure that any second now, a picture of Togepi will be posted to this thread. 

It probably has more to do with that people find the content interesting, even if you don't, rather than any supposed length to his posts. But it is pretty simple; if you think it is spam, report it as such. If moderators disagree and feel that isn't spam, you could always add scubadave to your ignore preferences, then you never have to see one of his posts again if it bothers you that much.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Otter gave me a warning before, back when gta 5 was delayed......

Now I live to kill every Otter I see!
  • Otter, darkwar854, ScuM Inc and 1 other like this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

For what?  Doing nothing?  I am making a logical statement about what you consider spam.

And I was making a joke. Take a breath, big fella.  ;)

2+2=5
  • 2+2=5

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Genuine inquiry ahead:

lpH2S41.jpg

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Genuine inquiry ahead:

lpH2S41.jpg

That's a good point.  It's not spam if it's relevant to the topic.

giphy.gif

• ENZ0 likes this

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

but......but posting memes make this section feel alive/entertaining :cry:

jk, its fine though, the MODS have spoken an we shall follow.....:)

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

People seem to forget the definition of spam here is whether something is relevant and whether it is necessary.

Is it relevant for you to say 'inb4 da lok' ?

Is it necessary for you to say 'oh this is the 3002452452 time I've read this go and die in a fire'

No, because this isn't 4Chan, Twitter, Facebook or YouTube.  This is a discussion forum about a game that we all love.

Same goes for images. As Deffpony said, a gif or a meme can be funny and I love them myself, but only if you accompany it with something that actually contributes to the topic and don't make a habit of doing it in every post.

• livejoker, Andreas, NuklerGhost101838 and 2 others like this

Governator
  • Governator

Thompson Terminator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

5jn5fJF.jpg

Got something to say that isn't related to GTA? Well, come on down to General Chat located in the fabulous Off-Topic section. Plenty of parking and the kids eat for free!

I just noticed there's an army of ledbys here but just you in general chat...

2+2=5
  • 2+2=5

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

@Kirsty thanks for the clarification. I thought it was going to go all north Korea in the forums....

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

People seem to forget the definition of spam here is whether something is relevant and whether it is necessary.

Is it relevant for you to say 'inb4 da lok' ?

Is it necessary for you to say 'oh this is the 3002452452 time I've read this go and die in a fire'

No, because this isn't 4Chan, Twitter, Facebook or YouTube.  This is a discussion forum about a game that we all love.

Same goes for images. As Deffpony said, a gif or a meme can be funny and I love them myself, but only if you accompany it with something that actually contributes to the topic and don't make a habit of doing it in every post.

Is it necessary to do anything though?  It's not necessary to make troll threads, but people still do, and they don't get locked.

Killbook
  • Killbook

TheBlackWalker. A Certified Killbook.

• Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

So, you posted a thread, with all spam word, and phrases that insult people. and insulting the potential people who do spam, then tell us not to spam or insult people. By the way, it is impossible to have a forum like this without anyone flamming or insulting each other. If you were doing bans based off that, so many people would be banned.

• darkwar854 and ScuM Inc like this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

Got something to say that isn't related to GTA? Well, come on down to General Chat located in the fabulous Off-Topic section. Plenty of parking and the kids eat for free!

Kinda shows you where the problem areas are, hey?

Listen, guys, the important thing to take away from this is to put effort into your posts. It's going to be pretty iron fisty for a while - easy way to avoid trouble is by not posting obvious spam.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

I'm an army of one.

• Otter, Ermacs, Governator and 1 other like this

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

"post questions in the Questions & Answers tread.

locked."
-
is that spam? I see that a lot...
  • Otter likes this

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

locked."
-

Well, evidently, you are supposed to post ALL of your questions in one thread where they will get overlooked by being pushed down farther and farther.

• lilpokerface and PJ-147 like this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

locked."
-

Well, evidently, you are supposed to post ALL of your questions in one thread where they will get overlooked by being pushed down farther and farther.

Please, get it all off your chest. I feel like you've got a lot to say: now's your chance to shine.

• WillWorthington3, Raavi, Governator and 3 others like this

Governator
  • Governator

Thompson Terminator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:23 PM Edited by Deathmaker158, 22 April 2014 - 08:25 PM.

locked."
-

Please, get it all off your chest. I feel like you've got a lot to say: now's your chance to shine.

You should rename this thread "personal vendettas". 

It's quite obvious who has one against me, and it seems the same for you.  

I agree with the terms of SpamWatch on topic. 

• Otter likes this

Franceska
  • Franceska

You look up to me like I'm a pizza on the roof.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Queen of Pandas

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Questions for the Q&A are most of the time questions that can be simple answered with a yes, or no. They don't need their own thread as they will get an answer with 1 post, the rest will only be useless. Therefore they tell you to post it there, and get a simple answer, and move on.
  • Otter, Raavi and Andreas like this

Sugar Free Nos
  • Sugar Free Nos

I'm the best Scrub

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Best Scrub 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

locked."
-

FYI, most of the questions in that thread get answered. I know that myself, JollySwagman, and many others answer questions in there every day.
  • Otter, Raavi and Franceska like this

Dr Murder
  • Dr Murder

mmmm wifey guts...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

We are obviously in a spam repellent deficit..
Oder all cans of said repellent and respect mods terms and conditions

Anger Personified
  • Anger Personified

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

I personally have no problem with this(because I still have yet to master how to post pics'n'such from my phone). What I have a problem with are the members who act like moderators. Will this be addressed as well?

• 2281 and Governator like this

livejoker
  • livejoker

I'm a cougar!

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:44 PM Edited by livejoker, 22 April 2014 - 08:52 PM.

Thank you nacho Jesus, I'm so tired of the inb4lock crap. I hate it way more than the classic, "first". Also, I hate that gif of the guy with "unbelievable" expression on his face, looks like he's at some baseball game or something. While I dislike (not hate, that's too strong of a word) how some decisions are made by you guys, you do a great job. Don't let all the hate get you down, mods, you remove stuff we don't want to see. I thank you for your fine work. :cookie:

*edit*
Does anyone read the forum rules? I think most people ignore them as they think they know the rules (most forums run by the same set of rules but some forums got a special rule or two). I read the rules back in '07 (yet I still trolled, got a lot of warnings, even from Otter himself :p). I never understood why people enjoyed making threads that would get locked...like, the intention of getting it locked. If I was OP I would try my hardest to make the most amazing read ever, not some spam-inducing thread.

Governator
  • Governator

Thompson Terminator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

What I have a problem with are the members who act like moderators. Will this be addressed as well?

Hopefully so, it's quite rage inducing. 

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

I personally have no problem with this(because I still have yet to master how to post pics'n'such from my phone). What I have a problem with are the members who act like moderators. Will this be addressed as well?

Please report them, and we'll deal with in a discreet back alleyway.

• *MURDOC*, Anger Personified, 2281 and 2 others like this

2+2=5
  • 2+2=5

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

What I have a problem with are the members who act like moderators. Will this be addressed as well?

Hopefully so, it's quite rage inducing. 

Reminds me of the damn teachers pet in grade school. The one you want to stab with your pencil.

• Governator likes this

Giantsgiants
  • Giantsgiants

Big Homie

• Members
  • Tokelau

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

About the single image replies, what if you go into a thread that says something like "Post pictures of your [insert car here]" or "Let me see your [insert car here]", and your reply is just a picture of your car, will that count as spam?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

If such a thread arises, it will likely be closed or modified, but if you do post in it before that happens, you're good to go.

Seriously guys, this is not a find-the-loophole situation. The problem is simply solved by not treating the forum like a chat room.

Thanks.

lew3112
  • lew3112

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Yeah the spam gets out of hand sometimes, but that won't stop the more determined trolls. They'll always try and find loopholes and ways to post rubbish.

Would be nice to see some proper discussion, but I think the general community for GTA makes it impossible.

One day, we will discuss without inb4's and didn't reads...

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yeah the spam gets out of hand sometimes, but that won't stop the more determined trolls. They'll always try and find loopholes and ways to post rubbish.

Would be nice to see some proper discussion, but I think the general community for GTA makes it impossible.

One day, we will discuss without inb4's and didn't reads...

Well, that would happen if people could summarize what they are trying to say instead of posting a wall of text.  Because no one want's to read that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users