WTF? happened to Rockstar?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic
BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:01 AM Edited by BlackNoise, 22 April 2014 - 05:18 PM.

Even though they were some of the best DLC ever produced EFLC was a commercial failure so R wants to make sure that doesn't happen again. 

Yeah, I was wrong about the success of the GTA IV expansions. I swear I read something positive about the business, but it has become invisible. They did say they were profitable, but that's about all I can find. I think I was probably misremembering this quote...

What did you learn from the DLC for Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption?

DH: The two key lessons we learned were that if you want a vibrant multiplayer community, you have got to provide content frequently and fairly quickly after release, which we tried to do with Red Dead.

And I think the two GTA episodes, from a creative standpoint, were absolutely fantastic. We are very, very, very proud of them. And we are kind of compelled due to various other business factors to make them that size -- but something at $20 for DLC, maybe $10 is a more exciting price point.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

Too busy uhmm.... uhhh.... "working on heists"...

• Shenmue18 likes this

Mr Pickles
  • Mr Pickles

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

IN A FEW MILLENNIUMS OR SO...

• warlord GTAV and D-N-A like this

I SHADOWFOX I
  • I SHADOWFOX I

Makin' Bacon Pancakes

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

Why in the living f*ck would guys like more of GTA V?!!

Because, and this may come as a surprise to you...People like the game!

Wow. f*cking surprising, right? :rol:
People like causal gamers. Real gamers won't
I have no idea how you aren't banned yet.

OT: Nothing happened to R*
Ban someone who speaks the truth? 

Nuff off topic posts. 

Usually I can tolerate you and just shrug your posts off, but come on bro get a new gig. You're the one of the most arrogant member on forums. You spew nothing but hate and it's almost like you're a troll but you're not. Every comment I see you post is extremely subjective, yes yes I know it's your thought on the matter so of corse it's subjective, but you must believe you are part of a master race or something and that what you think is correct so it must be so. Yet in reality it's just repetitive whining, if you don't like V fair enough, we get it. But stop be littleing members because their opinion is not one of your own.
  • Im2akillerfish likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

I know all about waiting...

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:08 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 22 April 2014 - 07:09 AM.

"commercial failure" is a stretch. They were loved by the critics and they were profitable. How is that a failure? The initial sales didn't meet expectations, but I think too many people use that as a reason to call them failures. That's probably why people have been saying the same thing forever "R* said no more big DLCs", but nobody ever has a source.

At this point everybody knows DLC doesn't sale anywhere close to the core game, but it was still new at that time. As you can see, R* and everybody else is still making them, so they're definitely worth it to the developers/publishers. R*/TTWO probably expected GTA level sales, but they just didn't understand how DLC worked at that time. They launched at $20 a piece. R* actually thought that was a good deal back then

I know R* are in it to make money, but I wish they continued with EfLC-style expansions.

20 bucks are unusally high price for DLC but the Episodes were more than worth it. If the price discouraged some customers from buying them, then I think the sole reason was that they weren't informed enough. They probably though EfLC were just another quick cash grab DLC, with three hour underdeveloped story and some new gimmick weapons and cars. But we are living in a world where people spend 60 dollars every year on latest CoD rehash. People will buy anything, if encouraged and hyped.

I think if DLC for V was an actual episodic game, and marketed as such, it would do much better, even if each episode costs 20 dollars. Telltale's games or other episodic titles sell like hotcakes. And R* have to do is to properly convince people that they'll be buying a brand new title, built on V's existing foundations. People don't have problem with buying games set in rehashed cities, as Stories spinoffs were quite successful.

• sqre, BlackNoise and D-N-A like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

WTF? happened to Rockstar?

Nothing Dude. Play some other game in the meantime. Their silence has prevailed since every major release. There's nothing official about it. :p

• Muhammad Hamdan likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

EFLC performed way below expectations from a sales point of view. Even LCS and VCS sold more which is a shame because it was really some of the best DLC ever produced. Don't forget it also came out in the middle of the anti-IV backlash which I am sure affected the sales.

• BlackNoise likes this

Sir Winthorpe Herrington
  • Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

If this was GTA IV, we would still have another 78 days before TLaD releases. 332 for TBoGT.

This. These things take a bit of time if they are really going to pump something quality out. I would much rather have somebody take their time and give me great additions than just rush out some half assed content that will turn bland shortly. On the flip side if they are taking forever and just give us something horrible like flight school missions I will be pretty f*ckin pissed.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:44 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 22 April 2014 - 09:47 AM.

Lol did i hear someone said TLAD and TBoGT were commercial failure? Hahahahaha lol TLAD alone have a Metacritic Score of 90%.Yeah they didnt exceed Rockstar's Expectation and again The two Expansions were (Timed) Exclusive on XB360 until later the following year,in 2010 they were released on PS3/PC and was part of the problem, and even so they both sold a combined 3ml copies as of 2014 (VGchartz)...even with that said,TLAD and TBoGT are the Highest Rated Expansion Games EVER.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

At this point sp has lost all interest to me... a shame. One thing I know for sure is with Watch Dogs releasing in may, if no dlc for gtav sp has been released, it may be awhile before the game gets any play time if ever, depending on the quality of dlc.

Yeah I agree with this.

I watched the most recent Watch Dogs trailer "Welcome To Chicago" and I must say it's looking real good. My interest in that game has risen much more than when I looked at the first previews, and I know more about it too. Definitely sounds interesting and it's shaping up very well. If WD turns out to be great, GTA V can kiss my attention goodbye for a long time if it does not get some decent SP DLC to fix it's shortcomings.
  • sqre, Detective Phelps, Drunken Cowboy and 2 others like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Lol did i hear someone said TLAD and TBoGT were commercial failure? Hahahahaha lol TLAD alone have a Metacritic Score of 90%.Yeah they didnt exceed Rockstar's Expectation and again The two Expansions were (Timed) Exclusive on XB360 until later the following year,in 2010 they were released on PS3/PC and was part of the problem, and even so they both sold a combined 3ml copies as of 2014 (VGchartz)...even with that said,TLAD and TBoGT are the Highest Rated Expansion Games EVER.

They may be highly rated, but they didn't sell as much as R* hoped they would. That's what you get when you give in to M$'s ca$h... ;)

As for the ratings, they don't really make a difference, as R* could easily bribe the reviewers. 

IGN gave GTA V 10/10, when we both know that GTA V isn't perfect. (It's an 8/10 for me)

Reviews and GOTY awards don't really matter, the actual game/content does, and for R*, sales matter.

Now, there are many things to blame here. There is, of course, the timed exclusivity, but there's also the fact that most Xbox gamers (who were the first to get the content) moved on from IV and were playing other games.

So, yes, TLAD and TBoGT were "commercial failures", because they didn't sell well.

As for the OP's question, GTA Online happened. Now SP is just a sideshow, whilst the all important Online gets more and more exclusive content (multiple apartments and garages, for example).

PerfectBlade
  • PerfectBlade

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

''JETPACK DLC IN ONLINE SO WE CAN KILL LEGIT PLAYERS PLZ''  :lol:

• Detective Phelps likes this

Johan
  • Johan

Gear Fourth!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Could of sworn they said it would be out later this year, which kinda leads to me thinking it's coming as early as July, maybe in the Fall thanks to their continuously effort on the ever disappointing GTA Online.

• Detective Phelps likes this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

It's evident from the Newswire feeds that Rockstar is taking time with each new update and also keen on settling out bugs, glitches, and so on, if any.

Such a huge game obviously isn't a cakewalk for any developer.

Looks like they are now taking time and not rushing it, due to *fans are desperate* as they did with releasing the game on September 17, 2013.

For Heists, SP DLC and even much more, in future (who knows), something equally big in content as the game and as such just 7 months isn't enough, considering GTA ONLINE itself had a very weak start on release.

So, the question(s) should be, what were they doing in the past 5 years?

The crap Consoles :p were taking too much time to manage running the massive game and releasing it on date?

GTA DUDE05
  • GTA DUDE05

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

I think the "JETPACK" source code were actually a tease from R* that want to keep the GTA V community to stayed hyped in this game,that is why they implement the code in v1.12 recently,they know that modders will found that code and exposed that leak information  and they know that Watch_Dogs will hit them big in May.

Gaitux
  • Gaitux

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

SP is dead right now as most of us have just pissed off to online while some play SP to replay missions and sh*t - other than that, pretty much dead.

I expect the DLC's to arrive by Summer alteast

• Muhammad Hamdan likes this

Bonaldo
  • Bonaldo

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

What makes you think there will even be a single player story DLC??

It seems they are focused only on the online

• sqre likes this

EOL_92
  • EOL_92

Finesser

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Well it has been stated numerous times from R* themselves that there will be 'substantial SP expansions coming later this year'. It's just a question of how late in the year and how substantial they are talking.

I'm personally just hoping for more activities to do in the world that utilise some of the empty spaces (drug trafficking, gang attacks, vigilante missions etc.) and not JUST more things that take you out the open world and confine you to an activity in a small space (e.g. Tennis, darts, golf), although pool, gabbling and clubbing mini games would be nice add ones on top of some more fleshed out activities.

• sqre, fac316, Sir Winthorpe Herrington and 1 other like this

jakfox
  • jakfox

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

Stop these little bitches on youtube who glitch, and post new ones every patch so they ruin the game.  I hate glitchers.

R* needs to make a more solid game.  Glitchers suck, but R* sucks even more for not testing the damn thing before it went out the door.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

Or in a few weeks or so.

the words no gta fan wants to hear.....

Well it has been stated numerous times from R* themselves that there will be 'substantial SP expansions coming later this year'. It's just a question of how late in the year and how substantial they are talking.

I'm personally just hoping for more activities to do in the world that utilise some of the empty spaces (drug trafficking, gang attacks, vigilante missions etc.) and not JUST more things that take you out the open world and confine you to an activity in a small space (e.g. Tennis, darts, golf), although pool, gabbling and clubbing mini games would be nice add ones on top of some more fleshed out activities.

I want Missions that have to do with gunplay and less with driving. And how about street races with semi-functioning AI.

Lets not make them rush. We all know what happens when they rush. Things suck. 

Like they didn't have 5 years for the game development?

At this point sp has lost all interest to me... a shame. One thing I know for sure is with Watch Dogs releasing in may, if no dlc for gtav sp has been released, it may be awhile before the game gets any play time if ever, depending on the quality of dlc.

How can this be? I thought SP for IV was bad but @ least you can commit crimes. In V we have the grand minigames of Yoga, Tennis, Darts, Tow truck, taxi, etc

• Official General likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm fine with waiting a long time for DLC. Helps to lengthen the game imo. Plus, usually means a well crafted DLC.

EOL_92
  • EOL_92

Finesser

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Or in a few weeks or so.

I want Missions that have to do with gunplay and less with driving. And how about street races with semi-functioning AI.

Exactly, the only side activities which even involve firing a gun at someone are the store hold ups and some property missions which both get repetitive. For me all they need to do is add vigilante missions like lV's and it's a big step in the right direction! It gave us an endless supply of criminals to chase and shoot up and I think it'd be even better on V's map, being in the country side and chasing hill-billies around in stolen cars round the desert would be great! Add to it a few new scenarios to the cop computer like muggings, store hold ups, gang shootouts etc. and there you go

• Official General likes this

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Or in a few weeks or so.

Exactly, the only side activities which even involve firing a gun at someone are the store hold ups and some property missions which both get repetitive. For me all they need to do is add vigilante missions like lV's and it's a big step in the right direction! It gave us an endless supply of criminals to chase and shoot up and I think it'd be even better on V's map, being in the country side and chasing hill-billies around in stolen cars round the desert would be great! Add to it a few new scenarios to the cop computer like muggings, store hold ups, gang shootouts etc. and there you go

I have no idea why the police car functionality was removed (just like pool, burger shots, gang/drug wars, fight club, dance club, flame thrower) gang wars was in the cop car function of IV (gang activity past 30 Vigilante missions, great fun and great challenge), the story missions, while fun, are repetitive since there so few.

• So Awesome, EOL_92 and D-N-A like this

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I'm on Decadence and Demerol

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

R* themselves said they would be releasing DLC's soon after the game came out since thats the only way to truly make money off of the DLC. Still waiting for that. 

• Muhammad Hamdan and D-N-A like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

Stop these little bitches on youtube who glitch, and post new ones every patch so they ruin the game.  I hate glitchers.

R* needs to make a more solid game.  Glitchers suck, but R* sucks even more for not testing the damn thing before it went out the door.

Why do people comment when they have no idea what they're talking about?

Of course they tested the game. 

Newsflash: internal testing is nothing like millions of people playing the game.

• archiebunker and GTA564 like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

So much elitism in this thread about video games lol

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

they will release close to tha watch dogs. it will f*ck watch digs sales and certainly boosts this dlc.

Gtsshadowknight
  • Gtsshadowknight

Awesome Happy Pants

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

Hopefully it comes soon :D I really want a story expansion! :D

• D-N-A likes this

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:14 AM

I personally don't mind the wait. I just hope the DLC is worth it.

Jenia
  • Jenia

I pee like HowToBasic.

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

When They gonna  release story's DLCs its been 7 months already. Am I missing something?

Before the DLC, there's something more we're waiting for 7 months...THE PC VERSION :cry:

• arrout, fac316 and Muhammad Hamdan like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users