Quantcast

» «
Photo

How would you feel if GTA started using real cities and brands?

19 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you feel about GTA using real cities and real brands? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you feel about GTA using real cities and real brands?

1. I'm all for it (3 votes [8.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

2. On the fence (7 votes [20.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

3. Hell no (24 votes [70.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:25 AM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 21 April 2014 - 11:34 AM.

Something I have always wanted GTA to start doing is using real cities and brands, as much as I love the humour of the fake brand, real brands would just makes it more immersive IMO.

Of course parody cities and parody brands are a huge part of GTA as they have been with the series since GTA Vice City (I doubt that GTA III's Liberty City was ever meant to resemble New York) so I can't see Rockstar doing it and if they did, the whining on this forum would be unbearable so this is just a hypothetical question.

So anyway, how would you feel about it?

Blastoise1994
  • Blastoise1994

TFW I actually am your scooter brother

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

It'd be really cool and stuff, but it'd kind of kill the humorous parody aspect of it. Budweiser probably wouldn't allow Rockstar to make in-game commercials about people getting drunk off their asses and well... Driving off a pier, blowing a dude, etc...

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

AKA: BLOOD,BiiD or BloodMOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:13 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 21 April 2014 - 11:19 AM.

It did back in the 2D Days with the First-Ever Console Expansion pack,London 1969 in 1999 (set in RL London in the 60s) way way way before any other Openworld Franchise used London as a setting (oh it only 2002's Getaway)...So yeah if a GTA game use a RL location 15 years ago (in the late 90s) i am sure GTA could do that again in this modern age but i love the way GTA brands and locations are all Original and i dont want that to change...So it a NO for me.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hell, no as it would ruin whole aspect of the jokes in the game. You can say that hybrid Karin Dilettante sucks ass and everybody will know what car you are talking about, but you can't say that Toyota Prius sucks ass without ending it in the court. 

Also you wouldn't be able to blow any car up or mess it up beyond recognition. No to mention that Liberty City would look strange with adverts of Coca Cola or Nissan.

• gtamann123 likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hell no! No real stuff in GTA!

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

I wouldn't mind real cars if it was an old setting.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Disreputable Mexican Pharmacist

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

CantThinkOfOne cares about immersion?
Anyway, not only is it practical in terms of legallity, I love the fake brands and all the social commentary that comes with them. Why innocent "Facebook" when R* can point it out for what it really is? "Stalking" a page on "LifeInvader" is just a funny nod that passes as social norm in the GTA universe, but we find entertaining. Immersion and realism belongs in the story, but the side attractions, like radio advertisement and billboards should remain entertaining, since there's really no harm if the billboard advertises Republican Space Rangers, it can easily be blocked out like in real life, but it's entertaining if you appreciate it, same with drinking a funnily named e-Cola, or searching up someone on craplist.net.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:04 AM Edited by universetwisters, 22 April 2014 - 12:06 AM.

I'd mind it.

After all, the fake brands are kinda what makes GTA, well, GTA.

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

Tape Is Love, Tape Is Life

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

TBH, I wouldn't mind having R* using real names instead of the parody's they're well known for. But after a while the jokes kinda got ever used and lame and not that funny anymore. But that is what GTA is known for so I wouldn't mind having parody's but having real life name's couldn't hurt for once.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:29 AM

No way in hell. It would completely shatter the GTA Universe and ruin about 99% of the charm of GTA and its fictional universe which is a parody of our own. 

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

No way in hell. It would completely shatter the GTA Universe and ruin about 99% of the charm of GTA and its fictional universe which is a parody of our own. 

But the parody's are already over used and old though, like I think it's nice to have a change for once, though.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

But the parody's are already over used and old though, like I think it's nice to have a change for once, though.

But real brands and cities wouldn't be the right change. I personally think the GTA brands aren't over used and can still be used. And I would like to see them add more cities but I feel VC, San Fierro, And LV need to be respresented in the HD era. 

• universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:22 AM

But real brands and cities wouldn't be the right change. I personally think the GTA brands aren't over used and can still be used. And I would like to see them add more cities but I feel VC, San Fierro, And LV need to be respresented in the HD era. 

Come think of it, "The Getaway" series uses real life brands, doesn't it?

I'm not sure what GTA would gain from using real life brands. If anything, they'll loose more than they gain. It costs money to license names like that, and I doubt any car company would want their cars depicted as getaway vehicles, flaming metal deathtraps, etc.

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

Well for me personally think i think it'll be good for R* to change it up for the next gen game. Also I think it's time to move on and create a whole new city instead of reusing one.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:26 AM Edited by gtamann123, 22 April 2014 - 03:27 AM.

Come think of it, "The Getaway" series uses real life brands, doesn't it?

I'm not sure what GTA would gain from using real life brands. If anything, they'll loose more than they gain. It costs money to license names like that, and I doubt any car company would want their cars depicted as getaway vehicles, flaming metal deathtraps, etc.

Yeah there is nothing to gain but pretty much their entire hardcore fanbase to upset and possibly lose. My favorite part of GTA is the fictional universe. To me it's one of the main things that sets it apart from other crime games because their fictional universe is so deep and well done. I would argue that the GTA universe is one of the greatest and well crafted fictional universes in gaming. 

@JEZUS: I think that the current era needs at least one more game. Then they can start a new one because I would love to see another setting we haven't seen in the current gen and if they did that it wouldn't make sense to start a whole new era already. 

THE GHETTO JEZUS
  • THE GHETTO JEZUS

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

Why would they make a new game in the current era, when the next gen is out ?

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

That is a good point. Idk i guess I just like the current era and don't feel it is over just because we have crossed over to a new gen of consoles. Rockstar writes their own rules so they don't have to start a new era just because they are releasing on a new gen of consoles. Idk I guess it is just weird. But one thing is for sure and that is that fictional city names and brand names are going to stay. 

• THE GHETTO JEZUS likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:14 AM

GTA just isn't GTA when it starts using real cities and brands. That means they won't be able to take the piss as much either.

This idea? No, just no.
  • gtamann123 likes this

killdrivetheftvehicle
  • killdrivetheftvehicle

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

If gta started to use real cities and brands, they could not use satire so much. And that's what gta is all about. The jokes would be too offensive, and R* would get sued big time. R* knows this.

If R* made real cities in gta, the cities would have to be more authentic, and that would suck big time. GTA cities are more varied than their real life counterparts, which makes them more interesting. Instead of monotonous grid you get varied streets patterns with memorizable highligts.

If GTA started using real brands, they would in part give free advertisement to some companies (if they did not mock them) and in part be sued for the brands they mock. So in the end it would not be a good direction. It's much simpler to just make the brands up (and then mock all of them).

• gtamann123 likes this

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

I won't pay to wear a Coca-Cola shirt. Don't want to pay for their game.

Sponsors could pay for a free game... then they will demand creative input and it will suck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users