Been playing GTA IV on PC for a week...

21 replies to this topic
lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

Not sure if this merits a topic, but I've been playing GTA IV on maxed out settings for a week, and I have to say that...
...The PC version of GTA IV looks much, much better than GTA V on PS3.
There are a lot less jagged edges, the textures are a lot sharper, a lot more clear, a lot better.
The character models are of course better in GTA V, but still, textures are better on PC, everything else looks better, don't get me wrong, GTA V looks amazing, the lighting is amazing, but that's LA, not NY.

Reflections are amazing, draw distance is wonderful... Ugh, anyone saying "GTA IV SHOULD HAVE GTA V GRAPHICS" should just get GTA IV on PC and the problem is solved.

GTA IV was a bad port, yes, but this is 2014, while I realise people can't afford expensive PCs, modern day PCs can handle GTA IV on maximum settings.

So...
...Does anyone agree with me that GTA IV looks better on PC than GTA V on consoles?

gunziness
  • gunziness

Trick

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:11 AM

GTAIV on pc looks indeed beautiful.
Im still amazed by its graphics and level of detail, i dont know how it looks on consoles but i cant complain really, to this day it still looks awesome for me.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

A Young Filipino Boy Playing Hands-Free Catch-the-Quarter

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:43 AM Edited by Drunken Cowboy, 21 April 2014 - 02:45 AM.

Dude, I'm running the game with ICEnhancer, a mod that betters lighting and shading in some regards... it still holds up pretty well.

ba9b669eac0104b93ac8354d83e5cc2e.png

b25ce0d378c0ec43cf4712f50704505c.png

03222de85ba8f09b38b88f75acb536f6.png

4f29aad9c2b191b530d760e6f7dda7d2.png

• Ermac. and Vice City criminal like this

gta3masta5000
  • gta3masta5000

'Sup?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:52 AM Edited by gta3masta5000, 21 April 2014 - 03:53 AM.

GTA IV was a bad port, yes, but this is 2014, while I realise people can't afford expensive PCs, modern day PCs can handle GTA IV on maximum settings.

So...
...Does anyone agree with me that GTA IV looks better on PC than GTA V on consoles?

You haven't met my laptop, have you? Can't run GTA IV on lowest settings. At least, not over 10-15 FPS. But yes, it looks better than V on consoles. V looks like sh!t on Xbox.

Johan
  • Johan

He won’t see the sun again for years to come

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

Dude, I'm running the game with ICEnhancer, a mod that betters lighting and shading in some regards... it still holds up pretty well.

images

Dude those look sweet as hell, makes me want to boot up my old high-end PC and start playing it again

• lol232 and Drunken Cowboy like this

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:52 AM Edited by lol232, 21 April 2014 - 12:24 PM.

Even without 'dem mods the game still looks stunningly good. (although I prefer ENB)
The power of PC, the graphics are still better even 5 years earlier (other than poor optimisation no wonder why many PCs couldn't handle the game on max settings back in 2008).

So...

You haven't met my laptop, have you? Can't run GTA IV on lowest settings. At least, not over 10-15 FPS. But yes, it looks better than V on consoles. V looks like sh!t on Xbox.

I can understand that, I meant modern day high-end PCs.
V looks good on XBOX though, they did a good job with the optimisation.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

I also have it at maxed setting on PC, and it runs greatly. At least better than plastic LS from PS3 of which i'm already bored. Btw, i'm gonna download ENB soon and  it will be even more better.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:53 PM Edited by Th3MaN1, 21 April 2014 - 01:53 PM.

Wow, you people are dummies. How the f*ck do you say such an impressive-looking game is from 2008? That's f*cking 2014 graphics. And I'm serious. 2008... lol.

gta3masta5000
  • gta3masta5000

'Sup?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

Even without 'dem mods the game still looks stunningly good. (although I prefer ENB)
The power of PC, the graphics are still better even 5 years earlier (other than poor optimisation no wonder why many PCs couldn't handle the game on max settings back in 2008).

So...

I can understand that, I meant modern day high-end PCs.
V looks good on XBOX though, they did a good job with the optimisation.

V looks like crap on Xbox for me. I actually managed to get IV to run on my laptop at all lowest settings, though. Yes still the 10-15 FPS, but lag is not visible. Stuttering is not present. I love it.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

Wow, you people are dummies. How the f*ck do you say such an impressive-looking game is from 2008? That's f*cking 2014 graphics. And I'm serious. 2008... lol.

GTA IV was really a "SHOCK" back in the day, really, it looks better than 80% of todays modern games.
  • gunziness and Drunken Cowboy like this

gta3masta5000
  • gta3masta5000

'Sup?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

GTA IV was really a "SHOCK" back in the day, really, it looks better than 80% of todays modern games.

True dat, bro.

• lol232 likes this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Why you comparing the graphics of an older game on an superior machine to a newer game on an inferior one?

Hey, the first Assassins Creed game looked better on my computer than Assassins Creed IV did!

But guess what, it just can't run Assassins Creed IV as well as it could Assassins Creed (or it will overheat), so big surprise... The graphics in V ARE better than IV. If you had it on PC too, it would look better than IV.

This is the most useless comparison ever :p

If I ran IV now, I'd have to make it look really crappy because it's badly optimised and my overheating PC (which I REALLY need to buy some better cooling for soon) would shut off after a while of playing. I guess I should say that IV's graphics are absolutely crap compared to GTA III, because I can run it with full graphics and it really does still look amazing (as do a lot of games with inferior graphics that are scaled up to a higher resolution than they were made for - especially when you're used to them looking crappier on console).

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:48 PM Edited by lol232, 21 April 2014 - 07:18 PM.

Lol'd when you implied GTA V's graphics are better than GTA IV.
Ugh, no they are not, of course GTA V would look a lot better than GTA IV ON PC due to the time difference.
But on consoles, hell no.

Also, of course older games would look better than newer ones on a crappy PC.

gta3masta5000
  • gta3masta5000

'Sup?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

Ugh, no they are not, of course GTA V would look a lot better than GTA IV ON PC due to the time difference.

Also, of course older would look better than newer ones on a crappy PC.

Thank you!

• lol232 likes this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

THEN WHY ARE YOU SAYING IV ON PC LOOKS BETTER THAN V ON CONSOLE!?

You're the one comparing two totally different pieces of hardware. I was trying to politely say that the comparison is utterly stupid. The difference between the games is not that great... they still run on the same engine... but V's was overhauled and, as you said, because of the time difference, would therefore look better when given a fair comparison, which is impossible when comparing it to a different machine which runs everything with less power.

I lol'd when you implied IV's graphics were better than V, because that's not what you're noticing. You're noticing that a PC's graphics are better than a console which is now even outdated in it's own capacity.

I'm sorry, but this just has fanboyism written all over it. To be fair, I should have restrained myself from posting, but I'm still hoping that you're not actually serious at all or I'm getting what you're trying to say completely wrong, because it makes no sense at all (other than to hate on V, which would be ignorable if you were hating on something that wasn't complete nonsense).

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:49 AM Edited by lol232, 22 April 2014 - 11:38 AM.

800px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_st
I immediately stopped reading why you couldn't understand what I said,
GTA III looks better than GTA IV FOR YOU because your computer is a sack of sh*t that can't run GTA IV for sh*t, Jesus Christ.
I was trying to politely tell that but turns out I should have just ignored your post.
Of course it looks worse for you due to the amount of jagged edges, but your computer is powerful enough to make GTA III have decent AA.

It's a legit argument that GTA IV on PC has better graphics than GTA V on console, of course the time difference and everything, but you actually read tiny texts in IV with HIGH textures, of course I am comparing a low-end machine with a high-end beast, but I'm actually complimenting the game itself because of such effort that was put into it 6 years ago.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

I immediately stopped reading why you couldn't understand what I said,
GTA III looks better than GTA IV FOR YOU because your computer is a sack of sh*t that can't run GTA IV for sh*t, Jesus Christ.

No it isn't. It just over-heats so I have to run everything a little lower than usual.

I was trying to politely tell that but turns out I should have just ignored your post.
Of course it looks worse for you due to the amount of jagged edges, but your computer is powerful enough to make GTA III have decent AA.

What jagged edges?

It's a legit argument that GTA IV on PC has better graphics than GTA V on console,

Not it bloody isn't. It's an argument, yes, but it's not based on a fair comparison, therefore making the argument illegitimate. Most games on PC have better graphics than games on console, so you pointing out that IV does compared to V, is an absolute waste of time.

of course the time difference and everything, but you actually read tiny texts in IV with HIGH textures, of course I am comparing a low-end machine with a high-end beast, but I'm actually complimenting the game itself because of such effort that was put into it 6 years ago.

Yeah, a lot of effort was put into that. That same effort carried on into the start of V.. they didn't re-create the engine from scratch, but improved it and not to mention the time difference. If you want to compliment IV, there's less stupid ways to do it. Just say "hey, IV looks really good on PC". Then your topic would at least look as pointless as it actually is.

I can edit your post and argue against you, because that's how little sense you're making:

It's a legit argument that GTA V on PC has better graphics than GTA IV on console

There. In essence it's the same stupidity, but the games are reversed so you're likely to disagree because it's no good unless you get to hate on a game even though it is only limited by what you're playing it on.

This also works, albeit a bit less stupid:

It's a legit argument that GTA IV on PC has better graphics than GTA IV on console

That must mean IV really sucks, eh? And finally, MY argument can be portrayed as well:

It's a legit argument that GTA V on PC has better graphics than GTA V on console

It's true. In fact, it would look like IV on PC for the most part, except with those improvements that have been added and the fact a much larger team was able to produce better textures overall.

But if you want to say a woman is a better driver than a man, by giving the woman a Ferrari and the man a bicycle, you go ahead...

Also, of course older would look better than newer ones on a crappy PC.

Thank you!

Ever get tired of being a yes man? :p

Cakelover21
  • Cakelover21

Unique Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

So...

Put brightness dow to zero and get an HDMI cable. Now go and drive around and prove me wrong mate. They look the same on both cosoles with HDMI. I dont think PS3 has an HDMI though might be something diffrent.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:16 PM Edited by AceKingston, 22 April 2014 - 03:17 PM.

Wall of Text.

Dude he said IV on PC looks better than V on his PS3 not someone else's. It is possible. I remember seeing a PC screenshot of IV that looked worse than SA.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:26 PM Edited by Deji, 22 April 2014 - 03:27 PM.

Wall of Text.

Dude he said IV on PC looks better than V on his PS3 not someone else's. It is possible. I remember seeing a PC screenshot of IV that looked worse than SA.

He doesn't need to say it, because it's pretty much a given. The first Assassins Creed game looks better on PC than IV or V does on console. It's not an achievement of Assassins Creed, but an achievement of modern PC's over outdated consoles running a similar generation of game. Which is what I'm saying... it's not a IV achievement. At most, it's showing off his PC.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

Only if R* didn't f*ck up the port to PC...

I'm running it with ENB and looks gorgeous but it has many flaws related to the PC version performance.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Wall of Text.

He doesn't need to say it, because it's pretty much a given. The first Assassins Creed game looks better on PC than IV or V does on console. It's not an achievement of Assassins Creed, but an achievement of modern PC's over outdated consoles running a similar generation of game. Which is what I'm saying... it's not a IV achievement. At most, it's showing off his PC.

I won't read that wall of text, I'm not showing off my PC either, I'm saying how the game is out of time does GTA III look out of time when you take it to 1080p and then max out the draw distance, does it look out of it's time? Maybe for 2004 at most, and I honestly don't understand what is your point of anything over here.
Only achievement PC has is resolution, take a look at textures, disregarding the resolution, does GTA III's dirty-ish textures looks better than extremely detailed GTA IV's? (not blaming GTA III, it's a great game but comparing graphics is dumb, although I realise I'm doing this, it's because you implied GTA III looks better than GTA IV).
If you seriously need me to do a comparison, just say that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users