Define "Griefer"

118 replies to this topic
rickreim
  • rickreim

Friendly Neighborhood Murderer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

It means different things to different people. What some consider griefing might be perfectly acceptable behavior to someone else. It's all up to the victim whether the offender is causing them grief or not.
On another note I consider it griefing to make a forum name like 'bronysplatter' and expect people to take you seriously

who takes the internet seriously?

Touché

xoC18H21NO3xo
  • xoC18H21NO3xo

GTA Addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

The player that stands in the doorway of my clothing store while I'm trying on clothes is a griefer.

Armored truck on the map for five minutes, I go for it, the guy who comes to blow me up when I go for the truck is a griefer.

Griefer is the guy outside the LSC, when I finish selling a  Felon GT.

Griefers are people that eff with me when I'm not trying to mess with them.

Wayne Daniels
  • Wayne Daniels

Cattle Rustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

I got "greifed" for the first time last week. This guy sniped me from god knows where, I respawned and before I could even figure out where I had respawned let alone get a weapon out I had been sniped again. This happened over and over. It pissed me off, sure...but I just changed sessions.

SecludedMemory
  • SecludedMemory

Lysergified

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:09 AM Edited by SecludedMemory, 21 April 2014 - 04:34 AM.

It means different things to different people.

See also: douchebag, dickhead, bitch, pussy, f*ckface, asshole, arsehole, c*nt, twat, wanker or all of the above. Or "bad sport" if you're asking Rockstar. 

• rickreim likes this

MrKush
  • MrKush

We need Yachts

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

griefing is a myth
there's just people who are awesome and people who cry
the myth that is griefing was created by the people who cry
when the people who are awesome are being awesome the people who cry, cry
that in a nutshell is what the people who cry would call griefing
while anyone who's awesome knows it's just awesome people being awesome

you see?

My brain hurts :/

If you were awesome, it wouldn't

Relative007
  • Relative007

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:41 AM Edited by Relative007, 21 April 2014 - 02:42 AM.

In terms of what is considered to be Griefing, I would be interested to know what R* is looking for when you report someone for "Griefing". Are the definitions associated with what constitutes an offence under the reportable headings available anywhere? 

My take on a few points.

- Deliberately (perhaps unintentionally even?) destroying a PV knowing you will not pay insurance is definitely griefing. Destroying a PV and paying for it is not. If someone can have multiple PV's destroyed by the same person in the same session it is obviously their own fault for not leaving or being in an Invite Only Session to start with (Not that I ever use them, I always play on Public Sessions).

- Trolling other players on missions by deliberately not completing objectives clearly constitutes griefing as other players leaving during the mission would incur a "Bad Sport" penalty if they did and clearly it is ruining the other players gaming experience. 

- If you are complaining about being continually sniped, shot, blown up, I hear Passive Mode costs $0 to enter. If you enter a car and then get shot, everyone knows this happens. Killing people in Passive Mode continually (if you are driving fast and someone is standing on the road you could easily hit them by accident or people could jump in front of a car to grief you) I would consider to be griefing and should have some extra penalty associated with it. 

This is all really based on my experience of what annoys me. At the end of the day you can always leave a session and quickly be in a new one or play Invite only with a Crew. 

Bongsquirrel
  • Bongsquirrel

Hustler

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

Took my tank out yesterday as I havent used it in a looong time and boy that was fun. Tank griefing FTW;)

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Took my tank out yesterday as I havent used it in a looong time and boy that was fun. Tank griefing FTW;)

The odd tank excursion is never a bad thing. I like to think of it as an online player cull lol

Oz70NYC
  • Oz70NYC

The Urban Samurai

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:58 AM Edited by Oz70NYC, 21 April 2014 - 02:59 AM.

griefing is a myth

there's just people who are stupid piss-ants and people who play to enjoy themselves

the myth that is griefing was created by the people who aren't twits

when the people who are idiots are being stupid morons the people who playing for fun, take issue

that in a nutshell is what the people who can't be bothered with douchebags would call griefing

while anyone who's asshole knows it's just pathetic people being assholes

you see?

Fixed.

• cattafett and LeopardGecko like this

meth.
  • meth.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:58 AM

if someone kills me in freeroam and i turn on god mode and then seek retribution 5-6 times in row does that make me a "griefer"?

not that i give a f*ck either way. it's a game. i play it how i want and enjoy myself while doing so.

• codename_duchess likes this

Bongsquirrel
  • Bongsquirrel

Hustler

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:00 AM Edited by Bongsquirrel, 21 April 2014 - 03:02 AM.

I got "greifed" for the first time last week. This guy sniped me from god knows where, I respawned and before I could even figure out where I had respawned let alone get a weapon out I had been sniped again. This happened over and over. It pissed me off, sure...but I just changed sessions.

lol just did this to some noob low level yesterday. It was an open area at some hills so he couldnt get away just sniping him like 10 times before he finally left=) I must say it was their fault as I killed them first cause they had a bounty on them was just gona collect the bounty and leave but the poor bastard didnt know any better and they went after me and tried to run me over w their car.
Got them15-1 before they left. Its not griefing imo as i had a mission to collect the bounty and they started the fight?

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:04 AM

if someone kills me in freeroam and i turn on god mode and then seek retribution 5-6 times in row does that make me a "griefer"?

not that i give a f*ck either way. it's a game. i play it how i want and enjoy myself while doing so.

That is where you're wrong This is GTAO and it's not a game. To some, what happens online is more important than what happens in real life. How dare you go around killing players and blowing up their cars? lol  :lol:  :lol:

• meth. likes this

Oz70NYC
  • Oz70NYC

The Urban Samurai

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:08 AM

lol just did this to some noob low level yesterday. It was an open area at some hills so he couldnt get away just sniping him like 10 times before he finally left=) I must say it was their fault as I killed them first cause they had a bounty on them was just gona collect the bounty and leave but the poor bastard didnt know any better and they went after me and tried to run me over w their car.
Got them15-1 before they left. Its not griefing imo as i had a mission to collect the bounty and they started the fight?

It actually is. If they're low level, what gain do you get from fighting them when you know you're gonna win? Get the bounty, move on to something else. Go pick a fight with someone who stands a chance fighting you back. Preying on low levels makes you worse then a griefer...it makes you a coward.

Food for thought.

• Wayne Daniels likes this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

It actually is. If they're low level, what gain do you get from fighting them when you know you're gonna win? Get the bounty, move on to something else. Go pick a fight with someone who stands a chance fighting you back. Preying on low levels makes you worse then a griefer...it makes you a coward.

Food for thought.

I see what you're saying but how does that work when when said low-level player keeps on coming at you and doesn't know when to give up?

I've had a similar experience with a few players who just don't stop trying to attack you, then start bitching when they're getting completely owned. I'm all up for a little battle, but don't bitch about it when you'e not getting near me (i don't mean yourself)

Not claiming to be better than i am but stupidity runs so high which some players. If you keep going after a player and they're killing you each time, maybe take the hint and stop

Bongsquirrel
  • Bongsquirrel

Hustler

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:25 AM Edited by Bongsquirrel, 21 April 2014 - 03:29 AM.

Food for thought.
Its a game and I like to play it how I feel at the time do it my way. if they are stupid enough to come after me bad luck for them I will kill them as much as I can. They started the war and I was gona give them half of the bounty but they attack so they die;)

Zorvaine
  • Zorvaine

True Vengeance is granted through serrated blades.

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

Griefer - Someone who invests time and effort into causing nothing but stress and misery to another person with no personal gain whatsoever.

Bongsquirrel
  • Bongsquirrel

Hustler

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

Its that simple! Get it?

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:41 AM Edited by saintsrow, 21 April 2014 - 03:42 AM.

I don't think Rockstar has a definition or even a recognized term for what we are calling "griefer."  Rockstar does have term for tanks, however -- it's called "whatev."  You buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for.  

On the other hand, Rockstar has a well defined term for "cheater."  That's someone who glitches big money and shares it.  That's all they care about.  

Oz70NYC
  • Oz70NYC

The Urban Samurai

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

Food for thought.

I see what you're saying but how does that work when when said low-level player keeps on coming at you and doesn't know when to give up?

I've had a similar experience with a few players who just don't stop trying to attack you, then start bitching when they're getting completely owned. I'm all up for a little battle, but don't bitch about it when you'e not getting near me (i don't mean yourself)

Not claiming to be better than i am but stupidity runs so high which some players. If you keep going after a player and they're killing you each time, maybe take the hint and stop

Food for thought.
Its a game and I like to play it how I feel at the time do it my way. if they are stupid enough to come after me bad luck for them I will kill them as much as I can. They started the war and I was gona give them half of the bounty but they attack so they die;)

I've been this scenario many times before with lower levels then me. It's only amusing for me the 1st two times I kill them, then I get bored. If I'm going to fight someone in free mode, I do it as a challenge to test my own skill against them, usually someone who's as high a level as me. If I see someone who's a lower level then me coming to pick a fight, I kill them, get a safe distance and send them a text saying simply "I have no interest in fighting you." Majority of the time that person will give up chasing you. You'd be surprised what a little communication will do. But then again, I'm not like most people. I actually don't see real merit in fighting anyone in free mode, as it literally does nothing but pad your K/D stat...which is meaningless in GTAO because cash and RP are the true mark of "success". Using the word coward may have been a bit harsh, but sometimes being the better man is walking away when you know there's nothing to gain from fighting someone who can't fight you back on the same level.

Bongsquirrel
  • Bongsquirrel

Hustler

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

Yea I know im a bad person. Think im going online now and go for a little morning driving session with my TANK;)

Unknown_33
  • Unknown_33

Peon

• BUSTED!
  • Unknown

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

griefers are rockstars favorite kind of player, this game is designed for clean players to lose. if you cant beat em join em, gta o is so boring now that "griefing" is the fun thing to do. just played in a lobby with two tankers f*cking sh*t up instead of crying and letting a videogame get to me I joined them and cleared the whole lobby. its ffunny how serious people take this game. go accomplish something in RL.

• saintsrow likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:34 AM

griefers are rockstars favorite kind of player, this game is designed for clean players to lose. if you cant beat em join em, gta o is so boring now that "griefing" is the fun thing to do. just played in a lobby with two tankers f*cking sh*t up instead of crying and letting a videogame get to me I joined them and cleared the whole lobby. its ffunny how serious people take this game. go accomplish something in RL.

In other words, there is no point in playing this game if you're not an asshole.  As you say, that's exactly how it's designed.  

Unknown_33
  • Unknown_33

Peon

• BUSTED!
  • Unknown

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:45 AM Edited by Unknown_33, 21 April 2014 - 04:47 AM.

In other words, there is no point in playing this game if you're not an asshole.  As you say, that's exactly how it's designed.  

yep pretty much, there is no repercussion being an asshole in this game, because I still get award $2000 for good sport after blowing up 10 pv with my tank. theres many glitches that are never fixed used to troll people.  just look at how many people lost their pv due to the mors mutual glitch and rockstar just sat back laughing telling you to by more CC. so essentially some poor sap out there either spent hours to buy his car or bought cc and just like that it was taken away.

bronysplatter
  • bronysplatter

Homie

• Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

The player that stands in the doorway of my clothing store while I'm trying on clothes is a griefer.

Armored truck on the map for five minutes, I go for it, the guy who comes to blow me up when I go for the truck is a griefer.

Griefer is the guy outside the LSC, when I finish selling a  Felon GT.

Griefers are people that eff with me when I'm not trying to mess with them.

so...

youre saying that people arent allowed to shoot at you unless you shoot at them first no matter what?

thats asinine.

• codename_duchess likes this

bronysplatter
  • bronysplatter

Homie

• Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Grief is a multifaceted response to loss, particularly to the loss of someone or something to which a bond was formed. Although conventionally focused on the emotional response to loss, it also has physical, cognitive, behavioral, social, spiritual, and philosophical dimensions. While the terms are often used interchangeably, bereavement refers to the state of loss, and grief is the reaction to loss.

this... this right here.

i was looking for this.

so in gtao, griefing is actually ok, but if you are griefed you can report it.

but "calling the police for something superficial" /reporting is liable to get the caller, or in this case, reporter, in trouble and not the person who "griefed" them.

by any sound logic...

that means reporting someone for griefing doesnt work! its like a crosswalk button or an elevator door close button. its there to make the kiddies feel like they have a sense of control when it actually does nothing.

844.jpg

am30
  • am30

Being Scottish isn't a crime

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Is it hell?  Get the chips off you shoulder ffs!

I've played this game since early November, most of the time not being an a-hole.  I'm a clean player and have most certainly not lost in anyway.  I've got more than enough cash, 10 fully modded cars, a couple Pegasus vehicles, Weazel Plaza 101 and constantly full ammo.  How exactly am I loosing being a clean player?  I ran around in free-roam yesterday for a while being an a-hole and guess what?  I made nothing, in fact I lost cash.  I then stopped being an a-hole and made $200k in just under 2 hours.

Go play something else if the game really upsets you that much.

Nathaaann
  • Nathaaann

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

Someone who is miserable, who makes other people miserable for several moments of satisfaction because misery loves company. Someone who is bullied and picked on IRL, and instead of standing up to the bully - who's probably just as scared and cowardly as they are - they get even on random strangers on the internet and multiplayer video games, from behind the safety of keyboards and controllers.

...My definition, anyway.

I'm guessing you got bullied too?
  • MrKush likes this

GTA Master 007
  • GTA Master 007

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

A griefer is someone who sees you are not interested in fighting back because you got other things to do, but continuously follows and kills you.

Eg: I bought a new turismo and as I exited my garage I got killed, when I respawned and went back to get my vehicle I got killed, my vehicle gets destroyed. I phone insurance then mechanic then take my car to lsc, after pimping my car I exit lsc and i get killed. All by one person.

Nyraider77
  • Nyraider77

Prankster

• Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:01 PM Edited by Nyraider77, 21 April 2014 - 01:01 PM.

I think what gets people so mad though is basically the tanks. They're annoying and far too overpowered. If they weren't in game I think they would be a lot less griefing complaints. I mean what street criminal has access to a f*ckin tank hahahahahahaha

Tanks are not OP. you just cannot afford one and get tank griefed like a noob
Oh I got a tank just choose not to use it like a true noob. So don't worry about me tool. If U doubt come see me

hercules1975
  • hercules1975

UK Dark Knights Crew Commissioner

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Text from 'Bad Sport' loading screen:

"GTA Online

Don't Be a Bad Sport

Bad Sports won't propser for very long - they end up in the Bad Sport pool.

If you encounter a toxic player ruining your fun, you can Report them by viewing their player card (via Online > Players in the Pause Menu) and selecting 'Report'. You can also specify your reason for reporting them, all within a few clicks.

Players reported frequently will be made to wear a Dunce hat and play in the Bad Sport pool with all the other reprobates."

Reporting Options:

* Griefing
* Exploits
* Game Bug Exploits
* Voice Chat: Annoying
* Voice Chat: Using Hate Speech
* Other

SO, griefing isn't using exploits (glitches/mods/hacks) or calling other players 'fa**ots', 'pussies', racial slurs, etc.

Griefing is causing other players grief, 'ruining their fun' - spoiling their enjoyment of the GTA Online gaming experience.

There is no list of acts that qualify as being classed as 'fun ruining' but I am sure we could make one (using the previous comments):

* Blowing up personal vehicles
* Camping outside player's garages/apartments
* Using a tank to kill players
* Harrasing other players
* Irritating other players
* Repeated killing/spawn killing
* Using vehicles with bulletproofed rear to kill players
* Targeting lower-level players
  • GTA Master 007 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users