Photo

Define "Griefer"

118 replies to this topic
Flūttershy
  • Flūttershy

Now with free shipping!

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:00 PM Edited by rawrsnar, 20 April 2014 - 07:07 PM.

Griefers are rockstar's butt buddies disguised by a big scary tank

Also, inb4multiPageArgumentAboutBronies

cookiemonster14
  • cookiemonster14

Gangsta

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

a Griefer is someone who griefs people.

Rstar.png

12nbSRW.png

Winning001
  • Winning001

Join the cool people. Set it to North Korea today!

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

a Griefer is someone who griefs people.

Rstar.png

12nbSRW.png

that was just waiting to happen

Nyraider77
  • Nyraider77

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

I'm just waiting for the amateur psychologist descriptions from certain members

Let that be me then.

As someone pointed out, griefing is defined as "A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways." (Wikipedia) so let us break down what this means.

The first part states that to be a griefer, you must -deliberately- irritate and harass people. That is obvious. The second part "Using aspects of the game in unintended ways" is I believe the most important part.

For example: In Call of Duty the aim of the game is to kill people, so if someone keeps killing you and you do not like it, well that is not grieifing as it is using aspects of the game in intended ways.

When people here say they are being griefed because they keep getting killed, one says "Well this is GTA, of course they should expect to be killed" which at first glance makes logical sense and would put this game under the same list as Call of Duty. However let us look back at the second part of the definition again: "Using aspects of the game in unintended ways". I bolded a part of the definition that I wanted to stand out. What does unintended me, as in who does it relate to? Do the players define what is unintended? Well if that was the case if you asked 10 people the intended way of playing GTA you would have 11 answers.

I prefer to go by what the developers intended and to find out what they wanted GTA to be let us look no further than the GTA Online trailer. In the trailer you had a focus on cooperative aspects and PvP was rarely used and only in justifiable circumstances. That is what the GTA devs wanted, not this slaughter fest.

So if a player is deliberately irritating and harassing you by spawn camping you, well that would be grieifing.

I must be an a short essay mood, this is my second one today

I here you but the game keeps track of and rewards PVP kills doesn't it. So aren't the developers encouraging PVP killing. I think so. I do not go out of my way to kill other players but as others have said it is in fact part of the game. If you want certain tattoos or colors for your guns you have to kill other peeps. Nuff said. Your crew members are the ones you cooperate with. Everybody else should be looked at as an enemy unless proven otherwise. Trying to determine whose peaceful is up to each player. I personally gave up trusting anyone outside my crew a long time ago.
  • Mr. Crowley likes this

RAMBONATOR
  • RAMBONATOR

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Grief is a multifaceted response to loss, particularly to the loss of someone or something to which a bond was formed. Although conventionally focused on the emotional response to loss, it also has physical, cognitive, behavioral, social, spiritual, and philosophical dimensions. While the terms are often used interchangeably, bereavement refers to the state of loss, and grief is the reaction to loss.

Nyraider77
  • Nyraider77

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

I think what gets people so mad though is basically the tanks. They're annoying and far too overpowered. If they weren't in game I think they would be a lot less griefing complaints. I mean what street criminal has access to a f*ckin tank hahahahahahaha

Winning001
  • Winning001

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

I think what gets people so mad though is basically the tanks. They're annoying and far too overpowered. If they weren't in game I think they would be a lot less griefing complaints. I mean what street criminal has access to a f*ckin tank hahahahahahaha

Tanks are not OP. you just cannot afford one and get tank griefed like a noob

• Mr. Crowley likes this

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

"griefer" is what you call a person that is owning you, and wearing your ass out.

most of the thing described above sound like "trolling" (to me)

--

griefing is a 2 way street.

last night a guy blew me up 5 times in a row with his tank. if I was mad about it I'd say he was "griefing." if I felt he was picking on me alone, I'd say he was "trolling" me. fact of the matter is: I wanted to blow up his tank, & he killed me 5 times while I was trying.

at any point I could have left the session, went passive, started a quick job, or simply tried to get away from him, but I didn't.
  • Mr. Crowley and tetsuomax like this

CatchMeTrolling
  • CatchMeTrolling

Troll

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:30 PM Edited by CatchMeTrolling, 20 April 2014 - 08:32 PM.

Griefer in this game equals someone who keeps killing you, though you keep coming back knowing you're going to get killed. Until you decide to either leave, kick the person or report them.

Edit: To put it simple griefing is getting owned.

• tetsuomax likes this

rickreim
  • rickreim

Friendly Neighborhood Murderer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

It means different things to different people. What some consider griefing might be perfectly acceptable behavior to someone else. It's all up to the victim whether the offender is causing them grief or not.

On another note I consider it griefing to make a forum name like 'bronysplatter' and expect people to take you seriously

SteveNYC81
  • SteveNYC81

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

If a videogame in general is giving you grief, then you shouldn't be playing it period. Yes there are things that will piss me and anyone off, but it's water under the bridge after 2 minutes tops with me. I would define a "griever" as someone who uses the wall breach as means of getting kills. As much as I don't like the tank, or the jet, they are all  legitimate tools that anyone can use if that's your play style, and they are easy to avoid.

• Flūttershy likes this

Buggy2825
  • Buggy2825

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:53 PM Edited by Buggy2825, 20 April 2014 - 08:54 PM.

With the wiki definition in mind, I just wanna say. What is the intended purpose of a tank in free roam.? If twankers are "griefing" and such by killing you and your friends and people in a lobby, over and over, then what is the purpose of said tank if it is not to be used in this manner? I don't use my tank, I run from twankers, but I don't see how what they are doing is uninteded use of that aspect of the game. Isn't it the developers and programmers responsibility to prevent it from feeling like griefing by better respawn locations or a temporary passive mode until you have gathered yourself?

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

anyone who kills you is a griefer, anyone you kill is a noob

• SuperDuperGta and codename_duchess like this

Buggy2825
  • Buggy2825

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

anyone who kills you is a griefer, anyone you kill is a noob

And anyone who kills you in a prolonged gunfight is a modder
  • beat_savy_9 and codename_duchess like this

Lord_Smasherton
  • Lord_Smasherton

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Let that be me then.

As someone pointed out, griefing is defined as "A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways." (Wikipedia) so let us break down what this means.

The first part states that to be a griefer, you must -deliberately- irritate and harass people. That is obvious. The second part "Using aspects of the game in unintended ways" is I believe the most important part.

For example: In Call of Duty the aim of the game is to kill people, so if someone keeps killing you and you do not like it, well that is not grieifing as it is using aspects of the game in intended ways.

When people here say they are being griefed because they keep getting killed, one says "Well this is GTA, of course they should expect to be killed" which at first glance makes logical sense and would put this game under the same list as Call of Duty. However let us look back at the second part of the definition again: "Using aspects of the game in unintended ways". I bolded a part of the definition that I wanted to stand out. What does unintended me, as in who does it relate to? Do the players define what is unintended? Well if that was the case if you asked 10 people the intended way of playing GTA you would have 11 answers.

I prefer to go by what the developers intended and to find out what they wanted GTA to be let us look no further than the GTA Online trailer. In the trailer you had a focus on cooperative aspects and PvP was rarely used and only in justifiable circumstances. That is what the GTA devs wanted, not this slaughter fest.

So if a player is deliberately irritating and harassing you by spawn camping you, well that would be grieifing.

This is going to sound dickish, but who gives a sh*t what the developers intended?

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Let that be me then.

I here you but the game keeps track of and rewards PVP kills doesn't it. So aren't the developers encouraging PVP killing. I think so. I do not go out of my way to kill other players but as others have said it is in fact part of the game. If you want certain tattoos or colors for your guns you have to kill other peeps. Nuff said. Your crew members are the ones you cooperate with. Everybody else should be looked at as an enemy unless proven otherwise. Trying to determine whose peaceful is up to each player. I personally gave up trusting anyone outside my crew a long time ago.

I've heard of using the race card but the grief card? 

Far too many people claim they've been "griefed" for the most silly reasons 

bronysplatter
  • bronysplatter

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

Someone who is miserable, who makes other people miserable for several moments of satisfaction because misery loves company. Someone who is bullied and picked on IRL, and instead of standing up to the bully - who's probably just as scared and cowardly as they are - they get even on random strangers on the internet and multiplayer video games, from behind the safety of keyboards and controllers.

...My definition, anyway.

you were kind of lagging behind on that one duchess XD

The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

Is it still "greifing" if the person is allowing themselves to get griefed?

Drive_ByShooting
  • Drive_ByShooting

Taking Photos of GTA since 2013

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

Someone who makes you consider never joining a public game ever again. 

• tetsuomax likes this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Armchair* psychologist.

I see what you're saying but they're amateurs, as far i'm concerned.

Suppose the better term should be "amateur armchair psychologists" lol

Sagrawa
  • Sagrawa

Upperdecker

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Is it still "greifing" if the person is allowing themselves to get griefed?

Depends on whether the person knows how to stop it.......spawn killing a low level player who obviously has no idea how to play yet and tries to get away the whole time would definitely be griefing.

There's still a fine line between griefing and just being an asshole. A player just killing everything in his tank and going passive the second after is basically a dick. A player running into an awesome battle with multiple players in his tank, and thereby spoiling the entire fight, can be concidered as being a griefer.

I'd say that almost everything that is done where you knowingly just spoil the fun for other players can be called griefing. Though when it can easily be avoided by the other, it might still be griefing, but the receiver is more to be blamed.

Let's say you just want to cruise around in your car and get killed over and over again. You can just as well do that in a private session.

Also focus in this topic lies mostly on killing in free roam, where the most obvious ways of griefing are things like:

Destroying PV's with your tank, with nothing to gain but knowing the other player has been set back.

Just crashing into others in races without any intention of winning the race.

Deliberately failing missions to annoy others.

freedomna
  • freedomna

Earl of Sealand

• Members
  • Vatican-City

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

"griefer" is what you call a person that is owning you, and wearing your ass out.

most of the thing described above sound like "trolling" (to me)

--

griefing is a 2 way street.

last night a guy blew me up 5 times in a row with his tank. if I was mad about it I'd say he was "griefing." if I felt he was picking on me alone, I'd say he was "trolling" me. fact of the matter is: I wanted to blow up his tank, & he killed me 5 times while I was trying.

at any point I could have left the session, went passive, started a quick job, or simply tried to get away from him, but I didn't.

Trolling is cornering someone into a debate they cannot win by using intentional logical fallacies and actual debating skills. 

SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

Griefer is anyone better then you

bronysplatter
  • bronysplatter

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

It means different things to different people. What some consider griefing might be perfectly acceptable behavior to someone else. It's all up to the victim whether the offender is causing them grief or not.

On another note I consider it griefing to make a forum name like 'bronysplatter' and expect people to take you seriously

who takes the internet seriously?

Winning001
  • Winning001

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:18 PM

who takes the internet seriously?

exactly 

fish61324
  • fish61324

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways.

yes but... just shooting another player multiple times is considered griefing to many many MANY people when thats just how the game works.

im starting to wonder if it actually means something else to people who complain here.

Shooting another player multiple times IS griefing you idiot. Shooting another mulitple times is harassing someone. There is no need for it. It is NOT how "the game works".

Please use your brain

bronysplatter
  • bronysplatter

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways.

yes but... just shooting another player multiple times is considered griefing to many many MANY people when thats just how the game works.

im starting to wonder if it actually means something else to people who complain here.

Shooting another player multiple times IS griefing you idiot. Shooting another mulitple times is harassing someone. There is no need for it. It is NOT how "the game works".

Please use your brain

oh golly gee, someone call the police on me.

oh wait.

that happens.

stop being such a bitch. if you dont want to get shot. go into passive mode and hide in your apartment or spam missions.

• codename_duchess likes this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

Someone who is miserable, who makes other people miserable for several moments of satisfaction because misery loves company. Someone who is bullied and picked on IRL, and instead of standing up to the bully - who's probably just as scared and cowardly as they are - they get even on random strangers on the internet and multiplayer video games, from behind the safety of keyboards and controllers.

...My definition, anyway.

you were kind of lagging behind on that one duchess XD

It does seem this whole subject touches a raw nerve with some people. I was expecting a few more posts commenting on how briefing online is somehow linked your behaviour in real life

LeopardGecko
  • LeopardGecko

GTA biker

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:28 AM Edited by LeopardGecko, 21 April 2014 - 11:11 AM.

I consider people who spawnkill(especially if they do that to a poorly armed and often poorly skilled low level players),people who are camping in tanks or with sticky bombs in front of someone´s garage or LSC to destroy someone´s private vehicle,people who run over players in passive mode or blow up their vehicle,people who glitch,mod or hack the game to gain unfair advantage over other players(also includes youtubers who teach people how to do that),people who shoot other players while they are getting a haircut,tattoo or buying clothes,people who drive chrome super cars or talk with kid´s voice just because they know it irritates people as griefers.I just see the term griefer as a synonym for troll.

The heist man
  • The heist man

heists should be my name

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

a griefer is some one who is some one who ruins some ones gaming experience on purpose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users