Photo

Define "Griefer"

118 replies to this topic
bronysplatter
  • bronysplatter

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm seeing this word being thrown around the forums and honestly, aside from people blowing up your pv ( which is already covered by forcing them to pay for it) or camping garages in a tank.

those 2 things excluded: being in a tank and just plain killing one another in free roam

what is griefing to you guys and gals?

CrazyRay
  • CrazyRay

8" Member

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways.
  • Schweppez, darkwar854, ten-a-penny and 2 others like this

bronysplatter
  • bronysplatter

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways.

yes but... just shooting another player multiple times is considered griefing to many many MANY people when thats just how the game works.

im starting to wonder if it actually means something else to people who complain here.

The Spook
  • The Spook

Driver - Assassin

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Someone who is miserable, who makes other people miserable for several moments of satisfaction because misery loves company. Someone who is bullied and picked on IRL, and instead of standing up to the bully - who's probably just as scared and cowardly as they are - they get even on random strangers on the internet and multiplayer video games, from behind the safety of keyboards and controllers.

...My definition, anyway.

• saintsrow and MrAnimorie like this

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

yes but... just shooting another player multiple times is considered griefing to many many MANY people when thats just how the game works.

im starting to wonder if it actually means something else to people who complain here.
Killing people on foot constantly over and over with a tank it's harassing, therefore it's consifered griefing.
  • boyerlicious likes this

codename_duchess
  • codename_duchess

Soldier

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

I'm just waiting for the amateur psychologist descriptions from certain members

• Dementious, beat_savy_9 and Timely like this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:44 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 20 April 2014 - 04:45 PM.

griefing is a myth

there's just people who are awesome and people who cry

the myth that is griefing was created by the people who cry

when the people who are awesome are being awesome the people who cry, cry

that in a nutshell is what the people who cry would call griefing

while anyone who's awesome knows it's just awesome people being awesome

you see?

• meatrocket8, CarimboHanky, brose_sfr and 4 others like this

GankThis110
  • GankThis110

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

Armchair* psychologist.

The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:46 PM Edited by The Angel King, 20 April 2014 - 04:47 PM.

With the ability to leave the session, I think there is a gray area. A good example of a griefer would be that guy that blows up your helicopter in RR and don't deliver the package, guys that purposely make you lose a mission, etc. I think in freemode anything goes, so long as you pay insurance etc. That's the great part of freemode....you are free to do whatever you want.

• Ammunized likes this

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

griefing is a myth
there's just people who are awesome and people who cry
the myth that is griefing was created by the people who cry
when the people who are awesome are being awesome the people who cry, cry
that in a nutshell is what the people who cry would call griefing
while anyone who's awesome knows it's just awesome people being awesome

you see?

My brain hurts :/

freedomna
  • freedomna

Earl of Sealand

• Members
  • Vatican-City

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:53 PM Edited by freedomna, 20 April 2014 - 04:54 PM.

Let that be me then.

As someone pointed out, griefing is defined as "A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways." (Wikipedia) so let us break down what this means.

The first part states that to be a griefer, you must -deliberately- irritate and harass people. That is obvious. The second part "Using aspects of the game in unintended ways" is I believe the most important part.

For example: In Call of Duty the aim of the game is to kill people, so if someone keeps killing you and you do not like it, well that is not grieifing as it is using aspects of the game in intended ways.

When people here say they are being griefed because they keep getting killed, one says "Well this is GTA, of course they should expect to be killed" which at first glance makes logical sense and would put this game under the same list as Call of Duty. However let us look back at the second part of the definition again: "Using aspects of the game in unintended ways". I bolded a part of the definition that I wanted to stand out. What does unintended me, as in who does it relate to? Do the players define what is unintended? Well if that was the case if you asked 10 people the intended way of playing GTA you would have 11 answers.

I prefer to go by what the developers intended and to find out what they wanted GTA to be let us look no further than the GTA Online trailer. In the trailer you had a focus on cooperative aspects and PvP was rarely used and only in justifiable circumstances. That is what the GTA devs wanted, not this slaughter fest.

So if a player is deliberately irritating and harassing you by spawn camping you, well that would be grieifing.

I must be an a short essay mood, this is my second one today

• ten-a-penny likes this

shootingallovertheplace
  • shootingallovertheplace

No 1 Panto Crew in the World PIGS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Someone that pisses you off

RedlineDrifts
  • RedlineDrifts

Professional Driver

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

Those people who text you saying you suck or msg you over xbox threatening to hack your account after you've been pwning them multiple times.

MentalHaze
  • MentalHaze

70% of the time, it works everytime... It's Science.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:22 PM Edited by MentalHaze, 20 April 2014 - 05:23 PM.

Squeakers... twankers...driving reverse welding an AP out the window of a chrome Adder (edit: I ment an Entity, not Adder...sorry) . . That almost covers all of the GTA Online examples of griefers...
  • boyerlicious likes this

Cellini Okib
  • Cellini Okib

Pirate

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

The people who glitch into garages, kill low level players with tanks. Basically attacking other players when they can't really defend themselves.

• ten-a-penny and LeopardGecko like this

Winning001
  • Winning001

Do not click the red button

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Those people who text you saying you suck or msg you over xbox threatening to hack your account after you've been pwning them multiple times.

those are butthurt kids

RedlineDrifts
  • RedlineDrifts

Professional Driver

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

those are butthurt kids

They're grieving over the loss of their kdr xD

am30
  • am30

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

The person who kills you over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  The method is irrelevant.

• saintsrow and boyerlicious like this

ghostrider135
  • ghostrider135

Agent 47

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Griefer = Arsehole :)

The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Squeakers... twankers...driving reverse welding an AP out the window of a chrome Adder (edit: I ment an Entity, not Adder...sorry) . . That almost covers all of the GTA Online examples of griefers...

No. Those are just twats.

• Mr. Crowley and MentalHaze like this

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Someone I wish I could beat in real life.

• saintsrow, Grottesca and GrottiCollector like this

40poundr
  • 40poundr

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

The people who repeatedly kill me when I'm just doing something on my own. If I'm not fighting back and keep driving away just leave me alone.

cookiemonster14
  • cookiemonster14

Gangsta

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:25 PM Edited by cookiemonster14, 20 April 2014 - 06:25 PM.

a Griefer is someone who griefs people.

• LeopardGecko and MentalHaze like this

SteveNYC81
  • SteveNYC81

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

" Griefer " isn't a word hence no definition can be found for it. OP the word you are seeking is " Griever ".

MentalHaze
  • MentalHaze

70% of the time, it works everytime... It's Science.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

No. Those are just twats.

Lol yes, yes they are indeed.

Vec
  • Vec

That tough guy act is ridiculous! >:U

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

People that use hacks/mods/glitches leaving the victim unable to counter the attacker or spawn killing leaving the victim with little to no time to react. That's what a griefer basically is

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Rehabilited Glitcher

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

griefer = CarimboHanky

/thread
  • Bongsquirrel likes this

Winning001
  • Winning001

Do not click the red button

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

a Griefer is someone who griefs people.

Rstar.png

bearer22
  • bearer22

Half fast player

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:57 PM Edited by bearer22, 20 April 2014 - 08:57 PM.

The only true example of "griefing" I know of was people driving their Entity or Adder into tanks on purpose, "using the games mechanics in unintended ways" giving tankers bad sport even though they may not have been guilty of anything...I had a friend who got bad sport because of this, and never played again back in November...Garage killers are glitchers, spawnkillers are just that, camping outside of LSC or Apartments with a tank may be a$$holes, but not griefing, this is just my opinion. 

EDIT: Another mechanic used in unintentional ways could be, withdrawing your bank on one character, and blowing up PV's with the other to avoid insurance bills..

• Mr. Crowley likes this

livejoker
  • livejoker

All About That Face!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

Someone who's being a dick. Let's say you're playing Rooftop Rumble and your teammates are doing the mission properly, shooting the guys, picking up the documents, acting like they should (following the objective). These players are called "cool". Now imagine the same mission but a guy runs you over with his car and is being a f*cking dick, that is a griefer. Then you got a troll who will pick up the documents and go around the map with them. He's annoying you but not directly. A griefer will attack you to the point of you hating the game, a troll is someone who will use the game mechanics or little tactics to just piss you off. A troll can be funny if you're watching from the sidelines, say, someone is trolling someone else and you're watching - it's funny. If you see a griefer griefing someone else, you know they're assholes.

But then you have idiots who will shoot the second they spawn and making you all open to enemy fire.
Confusing? Don't be. They're basically all the same type of player. One annoys you, one is toying with you and one is just so retarded you're surprised he got the disc in the console.

Best advice to avoid these is to report them if they're griefing you, avoid them if they're trolling you and insult them with your mic if you're with an idiot. They love it.

• ten-a-penny and Dementious like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users