Quantcast

» «
Photo

Graphics vs Immersion

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Graphics vs Immersion (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer in a game, Graphics, or Immersion?

1. Graphics (3 votes [3.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

2. Immersion (38 votes [38.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.00%

3. A mix of both (59 votes [59.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.00%

Do you think that people get overly focused on graphics, and forget about immersion/gameplay?

1. Yes, they seem to think that graphics is what makes a game good. (83 votes [83.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.00%

2. No, good graphics show the true power of current gaming technology. (17 votes [17.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
I3AZZAI2
  • I3AZZAI2

Row Row Fight The Powah!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

Yeah, there has been trend for people to forgo gameplay for better graphics. But still...

A huge part of immersion IS great graphics.

Sure a game with subpar graphics and great gameplay will probably be more enjoyable, but graphics definitely enhance the experience, especially in GTA:V/O's case.

I also think this is going to become more of a non-issue once the 360 and PS3 get phased out.

einjzmolf
  • einjzmolf

JODYHiGHROLLER

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:08 AM Edited by einjzmolf, 21 April 2014 - 01:09 AM.

The only thing I do on GTAO is cruise around with a couple friends on motorcycles or in hot rods, looking for cool spots to take pictures and hang out. If you want to be immersed, it's very possible. How other people play is completely irrelevant. Let the children play Call of Duty freemode with chrome cars, that's fine.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

The only thing I do on GTAO is cruise around with a couple friends on motorcycles or in hot rods, looking for cool spots to take pictures and hang out. If you want to be immersed, it's very possible. How other people play is completely irrelevant. Let the children play Call of Duty freemode with chrome cars, that's fine.

My point is that all these people who grind and complain that the game is boring aren't really immersed.

• fw3 likes this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

Terrific post topic, darkwar854. 

When I was younger, I loved love loved games like Scott Adams' Pirate Adventure, which was a text-based response game. 

You had minimal options of things to do (LOOK UP, GO NORTH, READ BOOK, etc), but the details were very rich and you had to really think about what needed to be done.
There were no graphics back then, beyond ASCII code, so you had to visualize everything in your mind, like reading a book.

The immersion was sublime and intense, and if you made the wrong decision, it was "game over," and you had to start again.

Timeline-up and we had Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Pac Man, which were all fun and had amazing (for the time) graphics, but weren't terribly immersive, by any stretch.

I grew up when a video game was seeing who could reach the knob on the tv faster, my brother, sister, or me, I look at the games nowadays with drawn breath at how incredible it's all become. But still, I have dumped new games within a few hours of playing them because the story was weak or the immersion was flat, with clunky gameplay that always kept a thought in the back of your mind, "ugh. this game!"

I can't even fathom what's to come in the future. But for now, gorgeous graphics with a storyline like GTA5 and with the bonus content of GTAO... it really doesn't get much better for this old fart!

Again, dig the post! cheers. ;)

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

Terrific post topic, darkwar854. 

When I was younger, I loved love loved games like Scott Adams' Pirate Adventure, which was a text-based response game. 

You had minimal options of things to do (LOOK UP, GO NORTH, READ BOOK, etc), but the details were very rich and you had to really think about what needed to be done.
There were no graphics back then, beyond ASCII code, so you had to visualize everything in your mind, like reading a book.

The immersion was sublime and intense, and if you made the wrong decision, it was "game over," and you had to start again.

Timeline-up and we had Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Pac Man, which were all fun and had amazing (for the time) graphics, but weren't terribly immersive, by any stretch.

I grew up when a video game was seeing who could reach the knob on the tv faster, my brother, sister, or me, I look at the games nowadays with drawn breath at how incredible it's all become. But still, I have dumped new games within a few hours of playing them because the story was weak or the immersion was flat, with clunky gameplay that always kept a thought in the back of your mind, "ugh. this game!"

I can't even fathom what's to come in the future. But for now, gorgeous graphics with a storyline like GTA5 and with the bonus content of GTAO... it really doesn't get much better for this old fart!

Again, dig the post! cheers. ;)

I guess it's kind of the same reason why I am going to get watch dogs also.  Because when I see the trailer, I think, "this will be cool, I can't wait to do this"...  That's the fun of open world games.  You can do whatever you want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users