Quantcast

» «
Photo

Graphics vs Immersion

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Graphics vs Immersion (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer in a game, Graphics, or Immersion?

1. Graphics (3 votes [3.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

2. Immersion (38 votes [38.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.00%

3. A mix of both (59 votes [59.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.00%

Do you think that people get overly focused on graphics, and forget about immersion/gameplay?

1. Yes, they seem to think that graphics is what makes a game good. (83 votes [83.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.00%

2. No, good graphics show the true power of current gaming technology. (17 votes [17.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

Now, I saw some videos of graphics mods for GTA 4, but there is just something off in them.  I think that graphics aren't what makes games look better.  I think Immersion is what makes games look better.  I think that people are playing GTA Online way too fast paced, and they need to just slow down and look for the tiny details within the game.  Good graphics mean nothing if you still feel like you are playing a game.

I remember back in SA days where I would just drive slowly to a basketball court in the ballas territory, and would shoot some hoops, then get in a fight with the ballas.  Now THAT was immersion.  To make GTA Online more exciting, you need to stop playing like an arcade game, and start playing like you are really there.  Anyone else think that Immersion makes the game look better because you can notice the little details?

• coach_wargo, DMC14, ~TKP~ and 2 others like this

ARCTICvnc
  • ARCTICvnc

Veritas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:16 AM Edited by ARCTICvnc, 20 April 2014 - 06:21 AM.

Now, I saw some videos of graphics mods for GTA 4, but there is just something off in them.  I think that graphics aren't what makes games look better.  I think Immersion is what makes games look better.  I think that people are playing GTA Online way too fast paced, and they need to just slow down and look for the tiny details within the game.  Good graphics mean nothing if you still feel like you are playing a game.

I remember back in SA days where I would just drive slowly to a basketball court in the ballas territory, and would shoot some hoops, then get in a fight with the ballas.  Now THAT was immersion.  To make GTA Online more exciting, you need to stop playing like an arcade game, and start playing like you are really there.  Anyone else think that Immersion makes the game look better because you can notice the little details?

The realism of great graphics is what is supposed to provide the immersion, but relatability and plot are also very important.

I think having one well developed character like CJ is better than three less developed ones. It is hard to utilize a big map with just one character though, along with the heist aspect.

• coach_wargo likes this

Timely
  • Timely

Happy Hanukkah.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

Immersion by far.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

The realism of great graphics is what is supposed to provide the immersion, but relatability and plot are also very important.

I agree, although, the point I'm making is that people really make the game too fast paced that you can't really enjoy the immersion that the graphics brings.  Like in Mafia 2, I wouldn't say the graphics are better than GTA 5, but the game was a lot slower paced, so you could notice the details.

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:31 AM Edited by Gta-freak-VI, 20 April 2014 - 06:33 AM.

I could care less about how a game looks like as long as the gameplay's good. Yesterday I tried playing TBOGT for the first time since like 2012 and it felt so outdated cause I was spoiled by the superb graphics of GTA V(which is pretty damn good for almost a decade old consoles) but after getting into FM, I realised how the gameplay and mechanics were so fun. It brought that nostalgia of airport madness and the almighty, OP buzzard although the server had a modder who spawned strippers and modded cars with neon lights(a very friendly modder/hacker I should say, if only I could take selfies in IV)

Ignore my nonsense above but to me, immersion is better than graphics.
  • GTA Banjo, ZeusMowat_278, Bombshock and 3 others like this

GrandTheftBatman
  • GrandTheftBatman

Connect 4 Champion 2012

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

Immersion wins. Flawless victory.

• RAS_ZeroZ likes this

bleedout28
  • bleedout28

"Upstanding Legitimate Businessman"

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

Immersion wins. Flawless victory.

Of course it does. You can't play graphics, you play gameplay which causes immersion. Graphics are cool and all, but if you game plays like sh*t, it's worthless.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Immersion. Despite V being graphically superior in every conceivable way (as it should be), I get way more immersed when playing IV.

• Killzone3265 likes this

TimmyM56
  • TimmyM56

Press F to Pay Respects

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

It depends. GTA V has good graphics but many like older games, feeling more immersed in it. I feel they are reliving those days of playing those games, feeling nostalgic of those games not noticing how bad they look compared to newer games, bugs, glitches etc. 

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

It depends. GTA V has good graphics but many like older games, feeling more immersed in it. I feel they are reliving those days of playing those games, feeling nostalgic of those games not noticing how bad they look compared to newer games, bugs, glitches etc. 

Yeah, I still think that I was most immersed in SA though.  I remember the good old times where I painted a clover orange and did jumps in the countryside.

Imaginev6
  • Imaginev6

Street life

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

The problem with this:

Oh hey. I never noticed that was there. Oh well, time to go along on my BMX. That railing looks fun to hop over! Let's go over to it. Wow, that was fun! where to ne- BOOM. xxBEASTSNIPES69xxzz decimated you. Oh man! Maybe I should just explore on foot with passive mode. This should sure- SPLAT. xxSICK X B34STxx splattered you.

• ~TKP~ likes this

TheStalked
  • TheStalked

ayy lmao

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

I'm on the fence, I've been gaming pretty much my whole life.

Good graphics make a good game even better, but good graphics don't necessarily mean a good game, and bad graphics don't mean a bad game.

Winning001
  • Winning001

Do not click the red button

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:16 PM Edited by Winning001, 20 April 2014 - 04:17 PM.

The graphics are not that better than IV when you actually look at the models closely.
I'm more immersion than graphics. What's the point if your game just looks nice
Edit: f*ck auto correct

Semperfiman550
  • Semperfiman550

The Dark Below

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

I hate to be that guy but when it comes to single player games bad graphics are immersion breaking. A mix of both.

ky1e1792
  • ky1e1792

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

I couldn't care less about graphics, the game could have amazing graphics and be awful.

TubbyTuke
  • TubbyTuke

I'll be with you in a minute, spark plug.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

I honestly would choose Immersion over Graphics. But sometimes, Graphics make the Immersion even better so I have to choose both. 

TheStalked
  • TheStalked

ayy lmao

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

The graphics are not that better than IV when you actually look at the models closely.

I agree, the graphics on GTA V are not the best (to be honest, they are pretty bad for a late 360/PS3 game), but it's still a great game.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

The problem with this:

Oh hey. I never noticed that was there. Oh well, time to go along on my BMX. That railing looks fun to hop over! Let's go over to it. Wow, that was fun! where to ne- BOOM. xxBEASTSNIPES69xxzz decimated you. Oh man! Maybe I should just explore on foot with passive mode. This should sure- SPLAT. xxSICK X B34STxx splattered you.

And those are the guys who can't experience the game fully.

Chronolemon
  • Chronolemon

GTA:Outta here.

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

If they'd used GTA IV graphics on V, how much bigger could they have made the map? Does it work like that? If they could make the map 4 times larger with San Andreas graphics I'd be all for that. One of the best games I've ever played is an old PS2 game called 'Road Trip Adventure.' It took about an hour to drive from one side of the map to the other, with themic towns, a snowy mountain, woodland, desert, a huge river, pyramids, it was huge and immensely enjoyable. Graphics were very cartoonistic but that was okay because it was totally enjoyable and immersive. I've always been a fan of games with massive open worlds like San Andreas, Skyrim, Road Trip Adventure, Final Fantasy X (in some ways), games where you could potentially get 'lost'.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

If they'd used GTA IV graphics on V, how much bigger could they have made the map? Does it work like that? If they could make the map 4 times larger with San Andreas graphics I'd be all for that. One of the best games I've ever played is an old PS2 game called 'Road Trip Adventure.' It took about an hour to drive from one side of the map to the other, with themic towns, a snowy mountain, woodland, desert, a huge river, pyramids, it was huge and immensely enjoyable. Graphics were very cartoonistic but that was okay because it was totally enjoyable and immersive. I've always been a fan of games with massive open worlds like San Andreas, Skyrim, Road Trip Adventure, Final Fantasy X (in some ways), games where you could potentially get 'lost'.

There is this game called fuel, it has the biggest video game world ever.  5000 sq miles.  It's about the size of Connecticut.  And even that had pretty good graphics.  Now imagine a game like GTA SA with a huge map,  It could be as big as Massachusetts.  Would you rather have the graphics of 5 with a way smaller map, or have the graphics of GTA SA with a giant map, 1000 people in one lobby?

tdavies457
  • tdavies457

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:31 PM Edited by tdavies457, 20 April 2014 - 06:34 PM.

I agree, the graphics on GTA V are not the best (to be honest, they are pretty bad for a late 360/PS3 game), but it's still a great game.

lol "pretty bad"...really?? compared to what? people bitch about the graphics in this game but they never name which other PS3/360 games they're thinking of that look better, for an open-world game of this scale the graphics are about as good as they possibly could be.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

I don't give a flying f*ck about graphics.

NoMeansPlayDeaf
  • NoMeansPlayDeaf

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

A huge part of immersion IS great graphics.

If you want to feel like you are in the game, then it should look as real as possible.

Arya35
  • Arya35

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

There's a reason San Andreas is still more enjoyable than V.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

There's a reason San Andreas is still more enjoyable than V.

Because of those long roadtrips to other cities, Hunting bigfoot, gambling in Las Vegas, street racing with NOS!  SA had the most freedom.

KimberJane
  • KimberJane

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Definitely the immersion, we know GTAV has wicked graphics but half the time lots of things go unnoticed. For example I spawned on the beach a couple of days ago, my car was impounded. I was about to steal a car to drive to the impound but for some reason decided I would just head over there on foot.

It was a full lobby so occasionally I would hide in a back street or behind a fence when I saw a blip nearby, I found myself heading down parts of the map I'd never properly seen before, the detail that's gone into this game is fantastic. So my point really is the graphics are there but because I've been immersed in the game it's never really noticed with my full attention. So I voted a bit of both. :)

SaturdayNight
  • SaturdayNight

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Graphics contribute to immersion though. In scary games lighting contributes to the immersion. 

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

Graphics contribute to immersion though. In scary games lighting contributes to the immersion. 

In my opinion, graphics have to be good enough to imagine what you are seeing in the game.

EX: In SA you played in this

Idlewood2-GTASA.jpg

But what I saw was this

LosAngeles.jpg

As long as you can imagine what it's like, graphics aren't a big deal.

Darkclox
  • Darkclox

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

So what? Just play the game the way you want, weirdo.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:44 AM

So what? Just play the game the way you want, weirdo.

The f*ck?  You drunk or something?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users