Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why a female protagonist doesn't fit in GTA (debunked)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
438 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to have a female protagonist? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to have a female protagonist?

1. Yes (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Videospiele sind meine Lieblings Videospiele.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

So according to that, a guy doing jumps with a car and scoring headshots is believable, but god forbid a woman do it?

• Zello likes this

Dark Bordeus
  • Dark Bordeus

The sun shines on me, for the first time in years...I am happy

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:29 AM Edited by Dark Bordeus, 27 May 2014 - 02:30 AM.

You keep asking redundant questions. I may as well reiterate my earlier posts as everything you're on about has already been addressed.

For the exaggerated, extra-funsize missions, the image of a a woman doing them would take it from a "augmented realism for the sake of entertainment" to a ridiculous cartoony level which would not suit the game.

Let's say GTA is "realistic violations of realism"

And Saints Row is "crazy violations of realism"

Trevor doing the Paleto Bay heist is "realistic violation" and Jane doing it would be "crazy violation". GTA has reached a level of zaniness that the fanbase is mostly okay with, San Andreas was the hyeight of it (jetpack) but GTAV does have its moments. But it is still nowhere near "totally messed up ridonkulous".

This is what I meant. The female protag would never be allowed to participate in the extra-bombastic missions, and if she did she'd be the wee little recon man at the back watching the action go down.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:38 AM

This is what I meant. The female protag would never be allowed to participate in the extra-bombastic missions, and if she did she'd be the wee little recon man at the back watching the action go down.

This is what I'm going on about. You're trying to say a female protagonist cannot shoot the same as a male protagonist or drive to the same extent a male protagonist can, are you?

Dark Bordeus
  • Dark Bordeus

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

No, she can't. Not without breaking the immersion completely and turning GTA into Saints Row level zaniness.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

And if a guy were to shoot off a ramp in a Corolla at 100+ miles an hour, fall 40 feet, and still be able to drive (let alone walk) away, it's realistic?

You really should open your eyes more to the fact that women can perform in combat and drive cars just as good as a man can. What's keeping ya?

• Zello likes this

Dark Bordeus
  • Dark Bordeus

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:05 AM Edited by Dark Bordeus, 27 May 2014 - 03:11 AM.

While we're linking to random articles and stuff while frolicking around...I want to go to the comedic route.

As Lamar would say:

"Hell nah nigga, You sounding more and more like a f-e-mnist evry day"

Update: I just went to your profile to see if you have "feminism" in your interests but noticed that you added me to your "disrespect" list. How cute. Managing a disrespect list on an internet forum is surely a sign of maturity and self-security.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:09 AM

They're not random articles, they're counters to your idiotic claim that all women are incapable of shooting and driving. If you ever feel like widening your horizons and stop with the one-sidedness, you should do a google search on women who can drive and women who can shoot.

• Zello likes this

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

You guys are take arguing to a new level lol. It's obvious Dark Bordeus doesn't like the idea of a female protagonist, and I doubt no matter what we all say will change his mind. He stated his opinions, and I respect them. However I'm still going to have to cast my opinions in favor of universetwisters' and say a female protagonist could work if done correctly. Of course if not done correctly then it would break the immersion and be a flop, but to outright say "A female protagonist would never work" is a little silly. Before the three protagonist system in GTA V, I bet everyone thought "Rockstar would never include more than one protagonist because it would never work and break the immersion" and guess what, it's exactly what Rockstar did. They're not afraid to try new things, and one day I really wouldn't be surprised if we do get a female protagonist (probably with another three-protagonist system where the other two will probably be males) and everyone would at that point be like "Wow, I can't believe they made it work" same way it worked with three to begin with.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you can't assume a female protagonist would not work just because Rockstar hasn't tried it yet. If they do include one, no one is saying they will make them yield a mini-gun wearing a huge body suit and shoot down an army. Every GTA has a different story line, and if they can come up with one that suits a female, then I can't see it break the immersion like it was claimed so many times. Just wait and see, if they think/know it can work, they will do it, and if they don't, then that's that, end of story.

• universetwisters and Zello like this

toxluv
  • toxluv

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

A female protagonist couldn't go to prostitutes.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:39 AM

You telling me lesbians/bisexuals don't exist?

• Tyla likes this

Tyla
  • Tyla

Trouble Man

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Concept Story 2014
    Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

Because it's the sole motivation of any protagonist to nail a hooker.

Any notion that strip clubs and prostitutes are going to disappear with a female protagonist is ridiculous, as if these things don't exist to females. Classy guy I am, I once took a girlfriend to a strip club. We passed by prostitutes in the street. Had she magically grown a penis? No.

F*ck it, with the right female protagonist sex and vice could be explored far more explicitly than we've ever seen before.

• universetwisters likes this

toxluv
  • toxluv

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:22 PM Edited by toxluv, 10 August 2014 - 05:10 PM.

I was just kidding... I really enjoyed reading your original post. I think that a female protagonist could be very interesting if done right.

mysteriousamg
  • mysteriousamg

SurvialistSociety Crew Leader & Savage11's Crew Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

James Brown: This is a mans world!!!! She most likely would get chumped out by her male counterparts unless she is an assassin. I dont think she would make the cut.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

I personally wouldn't like it if the only protag was female. However if in the next GTA game we have multiple protags again then I dont see any reason why one of them couldn't be a woman.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

I personally wouldn't like it if the only protag was female. However if in the next GTA game we have multiple protags again then I dont see any reason why one of them couldn't be a woman.

Except she would probably be the Franklin of the pack.

Id rather not have a female just for the sake of it and I would also rather not have the story messed up anymore than 4 and 5 by the addition of a 'meaningful' female character.

I mean we already have a lot of annoying GTA characters, why risk getting the most annoying character yet.

Midyin84
  • Midyin84

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

I would like to see a GTA game with both a male and female cast. A dude and a chick criminal team you could switch back and forth between like a modern day Bonny and Clyde..

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

James Brown: This is a mans world!!!! She most likely would get chumped out by her male counterparts unless she is an assassin. I dont think she would make the cut.

Define being "chumped out".

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:06 PM Edited by theNGclan, 02 June 2014 - 09:06 PM.

Isn't the best way to get a female protagonist that is completely open ended to create a female character in Online? It is part of GTA V's story after all, so her story and such would be determinant of what you want.

tumblr_mjiyxmgEbI1s5kl38o1_500.gif

Dark Bordeus
  • Dark Bordeus

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Something I should add with the introduction of a female protagonist is that it would have to water-down the game (or at least the parts that she is in) or either f*** things about for Rockstar.

That scene where Martin Madrazo hits Michael with a bat. Can you imagine a cutscene where an evil gangster hits the female character with a weapon and knocks her onto the floor? The controversy would cause R*  A LOT. Hell, GTAV was called misogynistic and the only ever time you hurt a woman was when Trevor killed Debra. And that in itself wasn't shown or controlled by the player.

It's right when they say "it's a man's world". When you throw a woman into it, she will either have to shed her womanly-aura and be susceptible to the same violence a man can be victim of. If not, the game will inevitably feel watered down and pussified. It would make the game feel pastiche if the female character is never in a sticky situation. Like Michael being held at the meat factory, or something of that sort.

Sometimes, when you depict a woman in a negative way, regardless of context, the world will feel outrage.

Before you write this off, let's explore the underlying double standard. Look at the cover image for GTA Online.

GTA-Online.jpg

In the top right corner, they have a woman about to whack a man with a baseball bat while he is unsuspecting and looking in another direction.

This image is waved off as comedic, generic, or totally normal because the game is a violent game and stuff like is meant to happen.

But what if it was reversed?

What if the cover showed a man about to nail a woman with a baseball bat? The outrage would be tremendous. The poster would get redacted, and R* would face waaaay too much bullsh*t from feminist groups for "promoting violence against women" that it would cost them severely.

The fact that the game allows selection of m/f avatars, and both genders can exert equal violence onto each other would be unimportant. The context, nature, and overall purpose of the game would be overlooked. The fact of the matter would remain that a man was hitting a woman with a baseball bat on the cover, and that equates to "Rockstar being a horrible company run by misogynistic scumbags who endorse violence against women"

• theNGclan and Blennerville like this

mysteriousamg
  • mysteriousamg

SurvialistSociety Crew Leader & Savage11's Crew Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:53 PM

male counterparts trying to boss her around, not taking her serious since shes a woman, ect. ect,

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

male counterparts trying to boss her around, not taking her serious since shes a woman, ect. ect,

And that doesn't happen with male protagonists when they start working for people? Look at Niko and Vlad, Kenji and Claude, or Mitch and Tommy for examples of that. I'm almost positive it's been in every GTA game.

toxluv
  • toxluv

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:11 PM Edited by toxluv, 04 June 2014 - 11:09 AM.

Many female antagonists and main characters would have been great protagonists, in my opinion. For example: Catalina, Asuka Kasen, Elizabeta Torres, et cetera.
  • universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

Many female antagonists and main characters would have been great protagonists, in my opinion. For example: Catalina, Asuka Kasen, Elizabeta Torres, et cetera.

This.

Asuka would've been cool to play as. All mysterious and Yakuza and stuff. Catalina was pretty crazy too, almost kinda like Trevor. She was also crazy loud too. Lordy.

• Zello likes this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

My view is that the points explained by OP, though have many good reasons to believe a female can become a protagonist, BUT, in defending with rational arguments that do show every logic to have a femal protagonist, the main point though is that there is no need, no requirement to see them as the main protagonist other than interesting side lead or supportive characters.
IMO, they just don't fit in a video game like GTA ( for the main role ) irrespective to their real life existence or even other few interesting pros.
Few other points to note:
The Developers are males themselves, incl. the names known to us who are also equally responsible behind the content creation of the GTA series.
So, if they actually found any adequate reason earlier, they'd have thrown a female protagonist back in the previous titles.
It's not about that being a male developer you can't create a female lead. You can, obviously, but the main idea behind the game like GTA, the very beginning of it, the first creative input that started off as a fascination ( for the Houser's ) to shape into a series ahead, most likely ( and quite sure ) they MAY have never EVER imagined to see a female protagonist in their very first game.
Yes times have changed today, but unfortunately its still not viable esp. now that Rockstar has turned into a Company, not just developers any more, the introduction of a female lead could very well spark a legal outcry or hatred from some sections of the society, or even the Board of the publishers, Take-Two taking into every possible scenario, importantly, there may not be a huge acceptance from majority of the well established fan base in favor of this idea, at all, let alone the impact on revenue and profitable outcome.

So, in the end, there's no need to waste time in justifying the reasons, when the whole idea behind the GTA as a video game started off w/o considering a female lead.
It's not about what possible or reality takes more than what's highly accepted in a fiction world like GTA for the role of a protagonist over the years, and running successively w/o a female lead.
Had they introduced it way early in the series, it may have clicked the idea, but it's too late now, because when it comes to address the majority of ever growing strong fan base, the idea of a female protagonist for this type of adventure may not see a huge success.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Had they introduced it way early in the series, it may have clicked the idea, but it's too late now, because when it comes to address the majority of ever growing strong fan base, the idea of a female protagonist for this type of adventure may not see a huge success.

You could say the same thing about multiple protagonists in V and it worked pretty good with most people.

skittlez86
  • skittlez86

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

i wouldn't mind a female protagonist as long as she is a female to be a female i mean to shut people up who want one if its good for story and game play sure but a i said to have one just to have one no  

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

i wouldn't mind a female protagonist as long as she is a female to be a female i mean to shut people up who want one if its good for story and game play sure but a i said to have one just to have one no  

That's what I was saying, it would only work with three protagonists again, and only if her character had an amazing story/background that fits in with the GTA style without making her a complete tomboy/girly girl. She would have to have that middle ground where she works in the story and the fact that she's not thrown in there just so Rockstar can say "You wanted a girl? Well there you go..." kind of thing.

Mr.Raspberry Jam
  • Mr.Raspberry Jam

Bringing great joy to a lonely man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

As a woman, I honestly don't think they should have a female protagonist. Too many people would complain and it's already been done (the first GTA, GTA IV multiplayer and GTA Online). It wouldn't fit in with the series and would feel out of place.
  • theNGclan and dmadzV7 like this

Dark Bordeus
  • Dark Bordeus

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:28 AM Edited by Dark Bordeus, 12 June 2014 - 01:28 AM.

As a woman, I honestly don't think they should have a female protagonist. Too many people would complain and it's already been done (the first GTA, GTA IV multiplayer and GTA Online). It wouldn't fit in with the series and would feel out of place.

Faith in humanity restored. Thank you. Thank you very much, indeed.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

Faith in humanity restored. Thank you. Thank you very much, indeed.

Faith in humanity is someone saying that female protagonists wouldn't work? Man, you've got some priorities that need straightening.

• archiebunker, dmadzV7 and Revenge of the Donut like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users