Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why a female protagonist doesn't fit in GTA (debunked)

280 replies to this topic
Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

It can't be for nothing

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 3 weeks ago

3005149c5b8df75med.jpg

Claudia Felix, most dangerous women in the world

2014_6_4_PHOTO-1a8ba1b7b2ae2865a7c77af9e

I wouldnt mind playing as her

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

8-ball can't be a protagonist, not enough places in the red light district where he can lay low.

• universetwisters likes this

Dark Bordeus
  • Dark Bordeus

The biggest scumbag in the world

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Dark Bordeus, 2 weeks ago.

SO you would like them to appear driving around and even be included in missions? To elaborate when you were extracting Mr K from the IAA building why were there no other female agents there? Do you feel that having female opponents present in missions could be used as a stepping stone for an eventual female protagonist?

Cheers.

It seems that UT ignored this question. It's a good question that goes back to many of my earlier points. If a certain part of the fanbase wants a female protag to be depicted in the glory that GTA protagonists get, women should also be depicted in the negative ways that men are.

• Why doesn't the cover of GTAonline feature a man smashing a baseball bat into an unsuspecting woman? Would doing so be consired apporpriate or tasteful? Would it get the game into yet another bout of controversy?
  • Why wasn't I forced to slaughter hundreds of female cops in "The Blitz Play" or "The Paleto Score" ?
  • Why are all the assassination targets male? Are there not female CEOs in the world, whose death could influence stock prices? Are there not female business owners who could be corrupt?

If you think about it, the series (and gaming in general) is still very nice to women in the sense that rarely if ever is the player tasked with performing acts of violence onto a woman.

Take a mission like "Waste the Wife" for instance. It's the only one of its kind, but it's interesting in the sense that it doesn't hold back. The mission didn't draw any major scrutiny, nor was the fact that the target was a female take precedence over the context of the mission itself. You had to assassinate someone. That someone was a woman. Period.

It was cool to see how the game didn't care about what is considered tasteful or politically correct. The world of assassination is a blind world for the ruthless kill of another person. And the game illustrated this by having a female target that died and screamed as she did so.

When you keep women out of these contexts (being cops, criminals, or simply being characters) it perpetuates the understanding that:

a) women aren't involved in the world of crime. You are never tasked to kill them because there are no female criminals.

or

b) female criminals do exist, but they exist in a magical plane of reality different from this one and therefore never make appearances.

My stance is this: if you want women to get involved in a glorious crime franchise, you need to do it in a fair way. Not write a female protagonist in under the pretense that "women can be kreminalz too!!!1111" and still keep the franchise devoid of female involvement in the world of crime.

Equal representation means equal representation on all fronts. If I see a woman involved in the world of crime to the point where she makes a viable protag, I would expect that the game feature female cops which are mandatory to kill, female businesswomen who must be killed, and female criminals who must also die at the hands of the player.

If a female protagonist would be pushing realism and illustrating the fact that the world of crime is more gender-diverse than we think, than there is absoloutely no reason not to include women elsewhere in the environment (regardless of whether their portrayal is positive, or negative) as that too would be adding to the realism and illustrating a gender-diverse environment.

8-ball can't be a protagonist, not enough places in the red light district where he can lay low.

I read that in his voice as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Lol. Thanks for that post, I needed a good laugh.

Dark Bordeus
  • Dark Bordeus

• Members
  • Canada

-

jacksu26475
  • jacksu26475

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

well said.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by universetwisters, 2 weeks ago.

b) female criminals do exist, but they exist in a magical plane of reality different from this one and therefore never make appearances.

As I said before, you had Paige Harris, Taliana Martinez, Elizabeta Torres, Catalina, Asuka, Ashley, and Denise Robinson if you count her. Of course, they aren't as "well developed" as the protagonists are like you mentioned earlier but nevertheless, they are criminals and they do make appearances. And I did address that point you claimed I didn't address, it was in the last page.

Literally the only female cops I've encountered in V was the Sheriff chick outside of the Sandy Shores police station and, if you count the IAA as law enforcement, Karen.

If there are female cops, which I've been told they are, they don't spawn as much as it's claimed, at least for me. Plus, I dunno if this counts for you or if you'll jump over it, but you can kill Millie Perkins in San Andreas instead of dating her to get that key card and you're not penalized for it.

FriendlyPsychopath
  • FriendlyPsychopath

Poor

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

2014_6_4_PHOTO-1a8ba1b7b2ae2865a7c77af9e

Those yoga pants make any butt with strias and fat all over the place look attractive.

Dark Bordeus
  • Dark Bordeus

• Members
  • Canada

As I said before, you had Paige Harris, Taliana Martinez, Elizabeta Torres, Catalina, Asuka, Ashley, and Denise Robinson if you count her. Of course, they aren't as "well developed" as the protagonists are like you mentioned earlier but nevertheless, they are criminals and they do make appearances. And I did address that point you claimed I didn't address, it was in the last page.

You didn't address it, you acknowledged a deviation of it. Let me make this ultra-simple. Let's spell some things out.

1) What would happen if the GTAOnline cover featured a man smashing a baseball bat into a woman?

2) Would you, the fanbase, and society, be okay if the game required that you slaughter hundreds of female cops?

3) would you be okay if the game required that you kill female targets more frequently. The ratio being 70m/30f , let's say. As opposed to 99m/1f as it is now.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

1) Nothing

2) I doubt any GTA player would feel guilty about killing female cops if you can already kill male cops, female pedestrians, and now animals

3) if they can pull it off and not half ass it like Rockstars been doing lately.

Speaking of questions, let me ask you something if I may; do you count the folks I mentioned in my last post (Paige, Taliana, Catalina, etc.) criminals or do they not fit the "prerequisites" to be one in your book?

Biohazard Abyss!
  • Biohazard Abyss!

Cherish your life.

• Members
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 2 weeks ago

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but Rockstar will never do it probably because it was decrease popularity.  Some guys really don't like playing as female characters.  One of my good friends who I play fighting games with hardly ever uses female characters because he finds it just odd playing as a girl.  Why?  I have no idea.

Would I like a female protagonist in GTA?  Yes, but the only way we'll receive it is if Rockstar tries another two, or three-character system and makes one of them a female.  I think they could pull it off well too, without making it a clusterf*ck like GTAV's story.

• Nopheros likes this

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Let's be realistic here. What is the female character's motivation gonna be? What will the theme of the game be? At this rate, we'd be better off with a tomboy trying to fit in with the guy gangsters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users