Quantcast

» «
Photo

Other open world game companies have no balls!

51 replies to this topic
ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:45 PM Edited by ainsz, 19 April 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Scarface The World Is Yours begs to differ, that game was all about balls. Forget what you think about movie-game adaptations. This game got just about everything right and set itself a part from GTA that it would always be compared to.

A lot of features in this game weren't seen in a GTA until years after, such as advanced aiming, and drug dealing. IMO this game did a lot for the open world genre and it largely goes unnoticed.

As for GTA V, unlike all of its predessecors, it didn't push the envelope at all for a genre that still has a lot of room to grow. It's a shallow game that relied on gimmicks to appear fresh.

After Rockstar's quality track record last gen, V really came out of nowhere.
  • B Dawg, Boxman108 and UrbanAdventuring like this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:21 AM

I totally forgot about Scarface.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

a.k.a: BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:00 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 20 April 2014 - 02:09 AM.

Okay I am back (seeing that the thread is still going,i will continue with the comparisons etc),now it comparison of Openworlds,Round #1:

and

Side Note:GTA5 doesnt have many comparisons with other OWGs,but my previous comments in the last page still stands....
  • FANTOMTRON likes this

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:18 AM

Mafia II is excellent though it has a linear narrative (you can still explore the city freely).   

I would like to play Yakuza, but don't speak Japanese... 

• FANTOMTRON likes this

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:23 AM

Mafia II is excellent though it has a linear narrative (you can still explore the city freely).   

I would like to play Yakuza, but don't speak Japanese... 

I have mafia 2 for pc. *Spoiler alert* after beeting that game you can't go free roaming -_-. Stupid company. Free roaming after beating the game was only possible on pc with a hack :/.

My biggest issue other than waiting forever for the pc version of gta v. Is that we have to wait like 5 or 6 years for a new gta :/.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

Simple:

I had more and longer fun with SR2 than with GTA4&5

Since GTA4, GTA is more about authenticity and good graphics and less about content.

Just watch San Andreas and its huge content. It had way more missions and still most missions were very different.

Also GTA5 wasnt a "real" GTA anyways. I mean, most activities had nothing to do with being criminal. Tennis, Darts, Hiking, Hunting, Golf and so on...

• DarrinPA, ainsz and FANTOMTRON like this

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:32 AM

Okay I am back (seeing that the thread is still going,i will continue with the comparisons etc),now it comparison of Openworlds,Round #1:

and

Side Note:GTA5 doesnt have many comparisons with other OWGs,but my previous comments in the last page still stands....

Sleeping dogs looks fun. The problem with a lot of other open world games is that they don't have as much realistic looking physics when it comes to shooting, punching etc other pedestriants. rockstar games unfortunatley seems to be the only company that isn't *scripted* in terms of physics.

Simple:

I had more and longer fun with SR2 than with GTA4&5

Since GTA4, GTA is more about authenticity and good graphics and less about content.

Just watch San Andreas and its huge content. It had way more missions and still most missions were very different.

Also GTA5 wasnt a "real" GTA anyways. I mean, most activities had nothing to do with being criminal. Tennis, Darts, Hiking, Hunting, Golf and so on...

I have gta 5 for ps3 and I agree with you bro. The big problem with 5 is that they focussed too much about silly online. Where as in the ps2 days single player had to come first. When 5 comes on pc I think in terms of single plyer. Modders are going to make gta 5 feel like gta 6 lol

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:36 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 20 April 2014 - 02:43 AM.

Okay,let move on to Round #2...but wait which one first,Receptions or Innovations? :)

Side Note:Tbh I see alot of people hating on GTA as a whole on this thread but i wouldnt reply cus everyone are entitled to their opinions but then when someone says "GTA Clone" some people will say that bias and bullsh*t but i am thinking of linking articles that shows how the Industry as a whole praises GTA (esp. GTA3-the modern creator of the Genre) but then i am keeping that for later stages :)...and yeah before a Scarface Game,what was the First Openworld Game to do an 80s setting?
  • FANTOMTRON likes this

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

Okay,let move on to Round #2...but wait which one first,Receptions or Innovations? :)

Both ;)

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:48 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 20 April 2014 - 02:54 AM.

Both ;)

Really, Just Really...let wait just wait a bit (i am keeping that for later stages aswell) :)...but it Round #1.5 which is History (and it between GTA,Mafia and Saints Row,Assassins Creed and maybe Driver even though it not part of the OWG Genre) :)..

Side Note:Because this round (#1.5) is about each franchise Histories (the 2D Era GTAs will be shown and included) the reason for that is cus GTA didnt start with 3 or in the 2000s like many of it "Clones" ;)...

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Both ;)

Really,Really...let wait just wait a bit (i am keeping that for later stages aswell) :)...but it Round #1.5 which is History (and it between GTA,Mafia and Saints Row) :)

By the way I connot beleive how sissyfied the driver franchise company became lol. When driver 1 came out in full 3D, gta was still road maps lol

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:03 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 20 April 2014 - 09:07 PM.

Round #1.5 titled "History of Game Franchises in OWG Genre" will begin soon i have to go find great History videos for the following (Chronologically): GTA (1997-2014),Driver (1999-2014),Mafia (2002-2014) and Saints Row (2006-2014) and Assassins Creed (2007-2014).....

Side Note:Driver is the only exception here cus it a Racing Game Franchise,Sleeping Dogs (2012) is a new IP,Scarface (2006) idk,Red Dead (2004-2014) could qualify cus it has two games (3 if the DLC is included) and i will also try look for Just Cause,Getaway and Farcry History Videos...I have to rest now lol :)

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:14 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 20 April 2014 - 04:15 AM.

Note:For this Round 1.5 "History of Game Franchises in the OWG Genre" it will be divided in 6 Sections for each Franchises,and it will have the following types of videos (3 for GTA and AC and 2 for the others);History,History in retrospect (in the case of GTA and AC) although Saints Row will have a 2nd video and lastly EVOLUTION (in the case of GTA).....btw while i am off,here is a video that shows not just the evolution of some franchises but for their respective Genres,most of the franchises are from the 5th Gen of Consoles-PS1 (btw it has nothing to do with the History round,it a bit off topic) enjoy :):

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

GTA (History Section).

(1) History of GTA (1997-2013):

(2) History of GTA in Retrospect by Gamespot:

and this:https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

(3) Evolution of GTA (2D,3D and HD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPoekAPVv5Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:59 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 20 April 2014 - 10:47 PM.

Driver (Section)

(1) History of Driver (1999-2011):

----------------------------------------------------------

Mafia (Section)

(1) History of Mafia (2002-2010):

True Crime (Section)

(1) True Crime History and Evolution (2003-2005/Sleeping Dogs,2012): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJvMEF3eYrc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Saints Row (Section)

(1) History of Saints Row (2006-2013):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyCKdPtydVI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

(2) History of Saints Row (2006-2013):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZslh6YT6Rw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Assassins Creed (Section)

(1) History of Assassins Creed (2007-2013):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9YG3Retzw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

(2) History of Assassins Creed by Gamespot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QS6O-DLoTw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnfg1rDmNIw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

(3) Ranking Assassins Creed by IGN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnfg1rDmNIw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Side Note:That the Only video that is much detailed i could find on Youtube (and afterall it a Driving Game),So later on it will be Mafia (2002-2014),Saints Row (2006-2014) and AC (2007-2014)...i guess some people have watch some of the History Videos on YT but for the others that havent,take your time and enjoy :)...

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:08 PM Edited by Voodoo, 20 April 2014 - 08:08 PM.

WTF dude? You just did a quadruple post. Learn to edit. Learn it! No need to keep bumping this. If you keep it up, I'm going to start deleting your double posts.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

WTF dude? You just did a quadruple post. Learn to edit. Learn it! No need to keep bumping this. If you keep it up, I'm going to start deleting your double posts.

Sorry but i am accessing this through my (CRAP) Android Smartphone,Hope there is no problem with that,or is the videos?

BlackFlagged
  • BlackFlagged

Reference Hunter

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Seeing this I can't help but thinking, what happened to the getaway.The Getaway was awesome. For those who haven't heard of it, the game was in London and it had managed to do what Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row or Sleeping Dogs can't, get registered trademarks. It had use of everything from Audi to McDonalds. It also had good graphics and a good story. I was disappointed when no games where released on PS3. 

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

Seeing this I can't help but thinking, what happened to the getaway.The Getaway was awesome. For those who haven't heard of it, the game was in London and it had managed to do what Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row or Sleeping Dogs can't, get registered trademarks. It had use of everything from Audi to McDonalds. It also had good graphics and a good story. I was disappointed when no games where released on PS3. 

Forgot about that game. If I can recall I believed I liked it

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:50 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 22 April 2014 - 02:52 PM.

Round #2 "Receptions and Success etc." will be tommorrow or later next week, hope you all like and enjoy all the History videos :)...

Edit:Here is also a great article to read about the Legendary GTA franchise: http://eskimopress.c...in-pictures-gta

JeffreyDahmer
  • JeffreyDahmer

Dan Houser Is God

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

i would love to see another serious or least another open world crime game like gta all we had really were in terms of Serious games was Mafia 2 and sleeping dogs which i thought were both great games that were either better or Possibly matched Gta V.

Mafia 2 > Gta V  im sure that opinion will be Very Unpopular but i loved Mafia 2 

And Sleeping Dogs i thought was Possibly on Par with V. (but i feel V Would be the one i would pick if i had to pick one)

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

It's not that they don't have balls; it's that they don't have nearly as much money/time to develop as Rockstar has. Plus, they're trying not to make GTA Clones, otherwise people would say they only make GTA Clones, and say they have no balls and suck and sh*t. In reality, the only company making GTA clones is Rockstar. f*ck "modern physics" (they're not), give me an awesome storyline (a la Red Dead), an interesting world and, even better, fun gameplay. Driving in GTA was so much fun before, so was the gameplay. But oh well. I hope more companies try different things with their open world games, if only to keep things interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users