Photo

Mafia III Developed By R* (theoretical)

30 replies to this topic
Crumplet
  • Crumplet

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

I love both Mafia and Mafia II, I've always had a massive hard on for that era and both of those games execute the style and culture really well, but I've honestly always wanted TakeTwo to team up with R* to develop another mafia game, especially now with the engine for GTA V and the amazing motion capture, it'd be a perfect combination if both teams conjoined forces. Who else supports this idea?

Share your ideas for the story, gameplay and etc.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Let R* stick to the hookers, rampages, niggaz and rednecks. I think Mafia III will be good enough without R*'s help.

• 018361 likes this

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

It could happen, since TakeTwo owns Rockstar Games.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:05 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 18 April 2014 - 09:06 AM.

it a 2k Games' IP but yeah both R* and 2k are owned by Take2 so the IP can be given to R* and i agree with was Th3MaN1 said...
  • 018361 and Th3MaN1 like this

Apex.
  • Apex.

Alright?

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

You almost gave me a heart attack with that title, I didn't read the 'theoritical' part until a few seconds later. 

</3

• Voodoo, 018361 and Th3MaN1 like this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

I find that unlikely. I think the team that developed Mafia 2 did a decent job and doesnt need Rockstar to make a good game. Mafia has always been different than GTA and thats a good thing. If anything I would like to see R* buy the Getaway IP because I feel thats the only way we will see a Getaway 3.
  • 018361 and Th3MaN1 like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

I find that unlikely. I think the team that developed Mafia 2 did a decent job and doesnt need Rockstar to make a good game. Mafia has always been different than GTA and thats a good thing. If anything I would like to see R* buy the Getaway IP because I feel thats the only way we will see a Getaway 3.

hmm that actually a great idea,and seeing that GTA would never revisit London again (which it did in 1999 with London 1969 way before Getaway) and maybe with that they could revisit London again in the 60s and it could be a Spin-off franchise to GTA....

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Thats exactly why I would like to see it. Take 2 could buy the Getaway IP and have R* develop a reboot and let them work their magic on it. Maybe make ot a GTA spin off like you said and include some characters from the GTA 3rd era. Which would kind of warp universes by having 3D GTA characters in an HD recreation of a real life city. But whatever it would still be cool

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

The Getaway needs to be revived. I've played 2 and that was AMAZING. Nothing as good as playing a game in your own country and having a good storyline and driving the british cards. Hope if it is revived, it's open world.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Why? It would just be a GTA game with a different name. There's a reason why Mafia 1 and 2 are so distinct from GTA. It's because they're NOT made by Rockstar.

• 018361 likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

I hope this wouldn't happen.

Mafia 2 is a shadow of Mafia 1. If Rockstar takes over the development, I'd hate to see what they would do with it.

All I can hope is that Mafia 3 is somewhat like Mafia 1 in a lot of ways. It was unique for its time, and still is to this day.

• 018361 likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:54 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 18 April 2014 - 05:08 PM.

Why? It would just be a GTA game with a different name. There's a reason why Mafia 1 and 2 are so distinct from GTA. It's because they're NOT made by Rockstar.

The Red Dead Franchise (2004-2014) is a spiritual successor to GTA and R* take on Historic events and the WildWest but RD (2004) and RDR (2010) felt different and superbly unique from GTA even though they are always labelled "GTA with Horses" or "GTA Cowboys" blah blah blah...with GTA5 making $1bn in 3 days i see R* creating spin-off franchises under the GTA brand (in future) or buying other IPs and Rebranding/Retooling them...tbh i want them to buy the Saints Row IP;Completely Rebrand it to (GTA presents Gangs or something along that line),A complete Reboot and infact take all the gang elements from the Parent Franchise (GTA) installments of SA (2004) and TLAD (2009) and make the new rebranded spin-off franchise focus alot on Gang cultures,History,Gang crimes etc in fact with this they could make a Spiritual Sequels to SA and TLAD even though they would not be part of the Main franchise (GTA) that their predecessors are from...best examples are:all the Mario Spin-off Franchises and the main Mario Franchise,The Tom Clancy Spin-off Franchises,Shift and Shift2 to NFS etc...
  • Mister Pink likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:10 PM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 18 April 2014 - 05:19 PM.

Mafia 2 was more like GTA than the first. The differences between Mafia 1 and 2 are:

• In the first Mafia the cops would come after you to give you a ticket if you ran a red light
  • You can sit in your car with the engine off 
  • When you turn the wheels the turning signals would come on  
  • When you go to refill your car you had to turn off the engine first, and then start it again afterwards (in Mafia 2 it's just a cutscene)
  • You can actually use the public transportation 
  • It had a city AND a countryside. The only GTA games with countrysides are SA and V. Mafia 2 had no countryside.
  • You had to learn to pick the locks of certain car models before you can steal it off the street.
  • There was a freemode where you roamed around the city earning money and doing various things
  • Mods
  • An epic story that I still remember after all these years.

However I don't have high hopes for Mafia 3 if it is in development. They'll just cater to the console market like they did with Mafia 2. And I also wonder what other features they'll take away.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

I never played Mafia 1 but to me it seems that they sacrificed gameplay features for the sake of graphics. They were working on a limited budget and had to choose one or the other and went for the side that would sell more copies. Pretty graphics. To me Mafia 2 is one of the games with the most un tapped potential in history. It could have been so much more if it was a proper open world game but instead became more of a linear 3PS.  

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:24 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 18 April 2014 - 05:25 PM.

I never played Mafia 1 but to me it seems that they sacrificed gameplay features for the sake of graphics. They were working on a limited budget and had to choose one or the other and went for the side that would sell more copies. Pretty graphics. To me Mafia 2 is one of the games with the most un tapped potential in history. It could have been so much more if it was a proper open world game but instead became more of a linear 3PS.  

The most linear game i ever played and lol we though the HD Era GTA games are becoming SO Grounded In Realism,lol you have to pay for fuel in this game cmon this is a game not a fuel simulator lol (hope GTA doesnt implement that) tbh i see why many people love the original game to this...

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Ironically to me (as I listed above) Mafia 1 has more gameplay features than Mafia 2.

The graphics were great, but years later when I played it again I appreciated the gameplay and the story. 

I've played and completed both games not once, not twice, but definitely more than 5 times each. I think I'm going to be a fanboy for a bit and say that since you haven't played Mafia 1, your point of them sacrificing gameplay over graphics is moot until you do.

The most linear game i ever played and lol we though the HD Era GTA games are becoming SO Grounded In Realism,lol you have to pay for fuel in this game cmon this is a game not a fuel simulator lol (hope GTA doesnt implement that) tbh i see why many people love the original game to this...

You're right, it is linear, but it's very story driven. At least they changed that with the DLC. It was a strange change of pace from the base game.

And what's wrong with paying for fuel? It makes sense to me. Sorta like how cars leave gas trails in GTA V. 

In the first Mafia, if you're in a car chase and your gas tank is hit, you begin to lose fuel and you either have to quickly get rid of the guys chasing you or find a new car before you're a sitting duck.

It made for good gameplay.

• Osho likes this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

Ironically to me (as I listed above) Mafia 1 has more gameplay features than Mafia 2.

Mafia 1 - City of Lost  Heaven, for THAT TIME, is f*cking epic and a masterpiece (for me) among open world games. 

It misses a larger map, kind of good graphics, and even realism poured into driving that got biggest criticism on release.

But, overall, it offers the best story driven experience in its background that supports f*cking awesome missions with multiple ways to enjoy and a great free ride (with challenging Free Ride Extreme mode, that's awesome when first time you try it, and still doesn't get stale)

Add to its amazing mods that improve the experience further.

It may not appeal new players for it demands a bit patience and limited to how much you can explore the map, as it lacks a great deal of interactivity within game world.

BUT ... BUT ...If anyone appreciates great gameplay and amazing AI (Cops are absolutely challenging) and cool characters that leave a f*cking impression even for weeks, months after you have finished the story.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

The graphics were great, but years later when I played it again I appreciated the gameplay and the story. 

I've played and completed both games not once, not twice, but definitely more than 5 times each. I think I'm going to be a fanboy for a bit and say that since you haven't played Mafia 1, your point of them sacrificing gameplay over graphics is moot until you do.

You're right, it is linear, but it's very story driven. At least they changed that with the DLC. It was a strange change of pace from the base game.

And what's wrong with paying for fuel? It makes sense to me. Sorta like how cars leave gas trails in GTA V. 

In the first Mafia, if you're in a car chase and your gas tank is hit, you begin to lose fuel and you either have to quickly get rid of the guys chasing you or find a new car before you're a sitting duck.

It made for good gameplay.

That was a mistake I meant to say that Mafia 2 sacrificed game play for graphics. I have played Mafia 2 but not Mafia 1. I don't know why I forgot to say that it was Mafia 2 I was refereeing to as the one who sacrificed game play over graphics. 

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

That was a mistake I meant to say that Mafia 2 sacrificed game play for graphics. I have played Mafia 2 but not Mafia 1. I don't know why I forgot to say that it was Mafia 2 I was refereeing to as the one who sacrificed game play over graphics. 

It's all good man. I was just being a douche earlier.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

If there's one thing I want in the 3rd Mafia, it's freedom. I'm not saying 1940's GTA, but just freedom. Side-missions and stuff.

• Adler and Osho like this

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Fuuma Kanryo!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Mafia 2 was more like GTA than the first. The differences between Mafia 1 and 2 are:

• In the first Mafia the cops would come after you to give you a ticket if you ran a red light
  • You can sit in your car with the engine off 
  • When you turn the wheels the turning signals would come on  
  • When you go to refill your car you had to turn off the engine first, and then start it again afterwards (in Mafia 2 it's just a cutscene)
  • You can actually use the public transportation 
  • It had a city AND a countryside. The only GTA games with countrysides are SA and V. Mafia 2 had no countryside.
  • You had to learn to pick the locks of certain car models before you can steal it off the street.
  • There was a freemode where you roamed around the city earning money and doing various things
  • Mods
  • An epic story that I still remember after all these years.

However I don't have high hopes for Mafia 3 if it is in development. They'll just cater to the console market like they did with Mafia 2. And I also wonder what other features they'll take away.

Mafia III is definitely in development, they announced they were developing it for next-gen before the PS4/X1 were announced.

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

I don't think it should be fully developed by R*. Mafia has a distinct feel that would be gone in that case. R* should definitely help make some game mechanics and the technical side. That would be the ultimate game.

Dobleh
  • Dobleh

Operative

• Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:54 AM Edited by Dobleh, 22 April 2014 - 09:58 AM.

i've been saying this many times, and i fully support Mafia game develop by R*. mafia is different from gta series. it focuses on the story and it has more mature/realistic theme than gta. i hope someday R* buy this Mafia IP from 2K make start make their own Mafia game. just my 2 cents

imagine if the next Mafia game have Euphoria engine. a good death animation is a must for a Mafia game. madonna mia!!

Gaitux
  • Gaitux

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

I loved Mafia I and Mafia II and I want a Mafia III developed as it is a great series 

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Fuuma Kanryo!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

i've been saying this many times, and i fully support Mafia game develop by R*. mafia is different from gta series. it focuses on the story and it has more mature/realistic theme than gta. i hope someday R* buy this Mafia IP from 2K make start make their own Mafia game. just my 2 cents

imagine if the next Mafia game have Euphoria engine. a good death animation is a must for a Mafia game. madonna mia!!

You do realize that R* and 2K are owned by the same company right?

Dobleh
  • Dobleh

Operative

• Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

You do realize that R* and 2K are owned by the same company right?

yup i know that.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

If there's one thing I want in the 3rd Mafia, it's freedom. I'm not saying 1940's GTA, but just freedom. Side-missions and stuff.

This. Mafia II tried too hard to be its own thing and completely shelved any sandbox options. I don't care if Mafia III is a GTA clone; in fact, I'd prefer it that way to improve replayability.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Dobleh
  • Dobleh

Operative

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

This. Mafia II tried too hard to be its own thing and completely shelved any sandbox options. I don't care if Mafia III is a GTA clone; in fact, I'd prefer it that way to improve replayability.

tumblr_n29cjjesai1st7meio2_400.gif?w=469

• Adler and Th3MaN1 like this

Archangelsky
  • Archangelsky

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

I think Mafia III is in development and that it is being done by the new 2K studio at San Francisco, some 2K Czech employees got transfered to it if I am not mistaken.

The most solid information that I have come across was that it will take place after a war and be based perhaps around Louisiana, there were some information in relation to 2K looking for voice-actors and the descriptions led people to believe it is about Mafia III. 

I do not mind Mafia III being a bit open as a game but I want a solid main story so if they keep that tight and give us open-world in DLC I will be happy, well I think I will be happy either way with Mafia III.

What they need the most is support for wheel and pedals, I am SICK AND TIRED of open-world games having cars and driving as a central element not having support for wheel and pedals, it makes no sense.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'd certainly support some mafia themed Rockstar game focused in 1920's on wards especially if it's heavily influenced by Boardwalk Empire and it can include bootlegging, importing of illegal booze, greasing politicians, illegal gambling and prostitution. 

Mafia is great and I know Rockstar would do great with it but they can just do their own thing. 2K have the potential and I'd love to see them use it to the max. 

• 018361 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users