Imagine If IV Was Set In The 1990s

65 replies to this topic
Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

I think the game was set in the right time. Keeping in mind that this was the first GTA game set in the modern day since GTA 3. I felt that it was time for GTA to be set in a current setting again.

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

-Late 90s internet

-No one with their heads down in their phones

-Boxy cars

-"Proto-hipsters" everywhere

Mr.Raspberry Jam
  • Mr.Raspberry Jam

Bringing great joy to a lonely man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

It would be interesting to see it in the 50's-70's. When the city was full of crime and the mafia had a lot of power in the city

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

I can't see the 90's working too well in LC. If IV had of been set in any time period other than '08, it should have been the 70's or 80's when crime was pretty much at its peak.
  • Zello and Eddie_INTV like this

thafablifee46
  • thafablifee46

punk ass bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

1988 would be perfect for LC .. Dwayne could be like Alpo Martinez , the mafia was going crazy at that time ( john gotti )and drugs was on the rise like cocaine and crack .. Also for the cleaner side of crime , you could be affiliated with the stock market scheme stuff like the guy from wolf of Wall Street was doing lol idk possibilities are endless tho

Kevinnicholls62
  • Kevinnicholls62

My names Lewis (gamertag is inside joke) and I'm that white

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

It would be good to see a Grand Theft Auto or a new R* game set in a prison or a general maximum security facility. Something fresh that hasn't been done at all by Rockstar.

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

It would be good to see a Grand Theft Auto or a new R* game set in a prison or a general maximum security facility. Something fresh that hasn't been done at all by Rockstar.

While this sounds like an amazing idea in theory, I doubt a whole new game set entirely in prison would work (assuming you're talking about an open world game). The map would just seem way too freaking small for most people, even if it was fully detailed and had all entirior explorable. Maybe a linear game could work however.

But maybe 2-3 missions in a GTA game where your character was in prison? Yes.

BENNY BLANCO
  • BENNY BLANCO

Player Hater

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:32 AM Edited by BENNY BLANCO, 28 May 2014 - 04:36 AM.

NO!!!. 90s atmosphere was sh*tty. Riding the train was like a game of Russian roulette.  Even grandmothers was getting robbed.

LucasTehNoob
  • LucasTehNoob

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:34 AM

Driving down Times Square in the 1990s version of LC jamming to (link below) YES!

Imagine LC in the 1920's

I would enjoy that speakeasies, and Bootleggers running amok, I can see a bootlegging side mission where you had to smuggle in Beer/Whiskey into the Speakeasies etc.

Running around in your Pinstripe Suit with a Tommy Gun, Then the Great Depression seeing how Liberty City copes with it. Wow it sounds like a really good idea.

AGiganticLlama
  • AGiganticLlama

Huge Llama Destruction!

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:53 AM Edited by AGiganticLlama, 29 May 2014 - 01:54 AM.

I really like the classy vibe watching tv shows based in NYC in the 1990's, economic super powers living in high rises.
  • Zello likes this

GN 1992
  • GN 1992

aka gnad.1992

• GTAF Crew
  • Brazil
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:58 AM

I imagine if they did something like Driver Parellel Lines (first part in the 70s, the protagonist gets arrested or something, and then present time). It would be AMAZING.

maxresdefault.jpg

driver-pl-006.jpg

• Silent likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:13 AM Edited by Zello, 29 May 2014 - 02:15 AM.

Driving down Times Square in the 1990s version of LC jamming to (link below) YES!

f*ck that nothing beats this in Star Junction (Times Square)

OT though like many people have said IV would have been great in the 70's or 80's I remember reading somewhere that the Housers wanted to give IV some of the classic NYC feel of the 70's and eighties. You can kinda feel that when you listen to Fusion FM late at night cruising around in LC...

• soudruhger likes this

SimonJ360
  • SimonJ360

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

I think im the only one who understood what he meant. New York was not good because of its crime in the 90's that he said it. the mass immigration of Eastern bloc nations to New York, the collapse of the Soviet Union and Yoguslavia, Niko as a Yoguslav and the Russian organized Crime..

that what it is, PErfect because of the atmosphere of the 90's related to the fall of the Soviet bloc.

Niko Montana
  • Niko Montana

Gangsta

• Facade Corporation
  • England

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:00 PM Edited by thedriver111, 30 May 2014 - 04:07 PM.

The story would be completely different though. The Classics and Liberty Rock Radio wouldn't exist (because it is that period). The Beat 102.7 play Big Pun, Wu Tang Clan, Big L, Gang Starr, Nas, Biggie, Rakim etc. (it would be the best station ever!). The internet would be very limited, and vehicles would be different. It wouldn't be as good in my opinion. It would be 99% the same as LCS. Late 80's or 2000's is best for IV and i like the 2008 atmosphere (my fav year), and playing it today makes me miss that time. (Look at V's 2014 atmosphere, its totally different).

If it was in the 80's The Comission (Ancellotis etc.) would have played a bigger role and NYC in that time had a lot of drugs and crime making it another good era for LC. 90's would have only worked for San Andreas' west coast gangsta theme.

Niko Montana
  • Niko Montana

Gangsta

• Facade Corporation
  • England

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

I imagine if they did something like Driver Parellel Lines (first part in the 70s, the protagonist gets arrested or something, and then present time). It would be AMAZING.

maxresdefault.jpg

driver-pl-006.jpg

Yes it is (paralell lines is a great game), but you have to keep in mind the characters age, you wouldnt really want to play as a 60 year old man would you?

Special Members
  • Special Members

Everyday I wake up to find myself in bed

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

As said, LC in the 80s would be better. After 1984, since 84 was when the crack epemidic started. Maybe they could have a former gangmember from Bohan or Broker start working for the Pegorinos in Alderney as a crack dealer. Could have some of the government corruption theme of V aswell (Just not overplayed like it was), and perhaps have the player work for the IAA (CIA), and smugle crack onto the streets and make big bucks. LC in IV does kinda look like NYC in the 70s/80s/90s in some places.The Bronx didn´t look nearly as deprived in 2008 as it is portrayed in Bohan. Lower Easton is based on Lower East Side, but looks like LES of the 80s. They could make it even worse looking, though.

And who wouldn´t like to start mayhem in a place like this?

nyc00256.jpg

bronx_steven_400843.jpg

• Zello likes this

Arran B
  • Arran B

The '80s enthusiast.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

As said, LC in the 80s would be better. After 1984, since 84 was when the crack epemidic started. Maybe they could have a former gangmember from Bohan or Broker start working for the Pegorinos in Alderney as a crack dealer. Could have some of the government corruption theme of V aswell (Just not overplayed like it was), and perhaps have the player work for the IAA (CIA), and smugle crack onto the streets and make big bucks. LC in IV does kinda look like NYC in the 70s/80s/90s in some places.The Bronx didn´t look nearly as deprived in 2008 as it is portrayed in Bohan. Lower Easton is based on Lower East Side, but looks like LES of the 80s. They could make it even worse looking, though.

And who wouldn´t like to start mayhem in a place like this?

nyc00256.jpg

bronx_steven_400843.jpg

For sure, man. IRL I've always said if I had the chance to see what a different era was like, I'd choose to see New York in the mid 80s and witness the evolution of hip hop. And just as you've stated, imagine how great it would be to see this in a future GTA title. And don't even get me started on the soundtrack.. a spin-off of WBLS would be featured.. hosted of course by Marley Marl (I would also include Mr. Magic but he is now dead, and he provided his voice for Wildstyle Pirate Radio in VC).
Pretty much when hip hop was reaching it's prime, really. The kinda sh*t Biggie grew up listening to on New York radio.
  • Zello likes this

Silent
  • Silent

Altering R* Vision™ since 2008

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:30 PM Edited by Silent, 31 May 2014 - 09:30 PM.

Yes it is (paralell lines is a great game), but you have to keep in mind the characters age, you wouldnt really want to play as a 60 year old man would you?

TK was 46 in 2006 era and he did great. Can't see why a protagonist couldn've been 50+ years old.

Niko Montana
  • Niko Montana

Gangsta

• Facade Corporation
  • England

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

TK was 46 in 2006 era and he did great. Can't see why a protagonist couldn've been 50+ years old.

I would say Max 50 yrs. Micheal and Trevor are in 40's and micheal even has kids. Look how many people would love them. 50+ would work but not realistically, its close to retiring age and people start to get health problems

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

I'm fine with 2008. The only justice the 90's years would do for the game would be soundtrack related, that's all. And if you want music, there's Vice City.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

I just watched Die Hard 3 which is set in 90's New York (Excellent movie by the way) and I was amazed. I think SonofLiberty mentioned else-where that GTA IV has a kind of a 90's feel to it and I agree with him now. Apart from the cars, I feel that Rockstar potrayed so well and it just felt so real. The buildings, the trains, the pedestrians all reminded of GTA IV. So I do not think IV needed to be set in the 90's IMO because it already feels like it in the 90's to me.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

I would still enjoy the game as much as I do currently. The atmosphere would certainly have a different vibe to it including all of the Y2K references. I will go further and wish there was two parts in the game where the first few missions were set in the 1990's and for whatever reason your character had to go into hiding or was sentenced to prison. The second part of the game fast forwaded into the current setting (2008) as you came out of hiding or were released from prison.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Yeah the ultimate setting for a Liberty City GTA would be late 60s-early 80s. Back when NY had a ton of crime and was very dirty and gritty. Just look at the Warriors for reference of what I am talking about. 

Agreed. Just look at these photos.

http://www.vintag.es...-york-city.html

Jules Verne
  • Jules Verne

I'm getting too old for this.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

GTA IV in 1774, right before the Revolutionary War. Think about it... Wait, no.

Why not IV in 1473? You're a Native American. Your car is a horse and your gun is a now & arrow.

Being the history nut that I am,  I couldn't resist responding to this.   As much as this seems like a great idea,  the modern horse wasn't brought into America until 1519 by Hernan Cortez.  

• thafablifee46 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Modding again

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:19 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 25 June 2014 - 03:21 AM.

As someone who lived through the 90's, I don't get the obsession with that decade... Just coming off the drugs and sh*tty clothes of the 80's and meeting the socially depraved technological era...

I'm guessing you're one of those Grove Street fanboys who can't get enough of that 90's "gangsta" vibe.

well as someone who lived through that same "Gangsta" 90s... I can say that I did get somewhat obsessed with it... also f*ck Grove St... if they did something about sacramento, It would be pretty much Garden Blocc 21st 24th 29st... or maybe even the Varrio Gardonz $acra for the mexicans... 

LA wasnt the only city having a serious gang problem in the 90's and early 00's

also for those who dont know... VG$ is a mexican gang in sacramento that wears Green.... but claims Norte... 

they aint get that sh*t from GTA Either... they been around since the 70s...

Anyway... I would rather they do SF in the 90s... when sh*t was happenin on the daily... Mission District was comin off a war between front streets and back streets...

thafablifee46
  • thafablifee46

punk ass bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Why not IV in 1473? You're a Native American. Your car is a horse and your gun is a now & arrow.

Being the history nut that I am,  I couldn't resist responding to this.   As much as this seems like a great idea,  the modern horse wasn't brought into America until 1519 by Hernan Cortez.  

Lol The modern horse ? What were they riding before ?

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Modding again

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

They were riding colts bro...

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

Lol The modern horse ? What were they riding before ?

They were riding pigs.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

aesthetic

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:20 AM Edited by theNGclan, 29 June 2014 - 06:36 AM.

If GTA 4 were in the 1990s?

Electro-Choc would play Happy Hardcore. It would be my favorite station.

Depends on the region. You wouldn't have your favorite station. Electronic music has been around for a long time. HH wasn't the first electronic genre to rear it's face.

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Modding again

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

If GTA 4 were in the 1990s?

Electro-Choc would play Happy Hardcore. It would be my favorite station.

Depends on the region. You wouldn't have your favorite station. Electronic music has been around for a long time. HH wasn't the first electronic genre to rear it's face.
I blame electro
  • theNGclan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users