Photo

Ways to enchance GTA 3 on PC

25 replies to this topic
RazorRain
  • RazorRain

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:00 PM Edited by RazorRain, 22 April 2014 - 11:12 AM.

Hi everyone this is what I feel the best config to play GTA 3 now without altering the original game mechanics. No crouch or cover. My reason is to make this awesome game fun and playable at current standards. You will need a decent graphic card to run everything smoothly. I did not create any mods myself but just made this compilation. This is also quite noob friendly so feel free to try even if you haven't modded GTA 3 before this. Make sure you have GTA 3 version 1.1 installed in your PC.

1) Download GTA 3 XBOX mod 1.0 with the two updates and install. http://www.gtagarage...how.php?id=5798

2) Get the modified GTA 3 HD Vehicles Tri Pack 3 Here. http://www.mediafire...HICLES4XBOX.rar

This version is compatible with GTA 3 XBOX mod. It also has HD fonts, HUD, particles, wheels and weapons. To install, run the GTA Mod Installer and select "install mod with script file" then "I want to select a folder with script file" for both GTA3IMG and TXDIMG contained in the rar. You will need to run the installer twice. Backup the files through the installer. Copy files from 'data' and 'models' and overwrite to original game folder. Backup the files first.

3) Extra HD cars from other GTA games. http://www.mediafire...HDextracars.rar

This files actually contains the extra cars from the original  GTA 3 HD Vehicles Tri Pack 3. Extra cars does not replace any cars but adds five new cars into the game. Install as above and copy 'data', 'models' and 'TEXT' to overwrite game files and make sure to back up first. 

4) Widescreen fix. http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=23407

Place III_widescreenfix_remake.asi into GTA 3 mss folder.

5) HQ Radio Stations. http://gtaforums.com...ii-xbox-version

Replace to audio folder.

6) CLEO frame cap adjuster. http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=15178

Place in CLEO folder. You will want to set limit around 70-75fps. In your game settings, on the frame limiter and off the frame sync. What the frame limiter does is make the game run at a low 30fps to follow the console versions. This file changes that so the frame limiter is now set at the fps you choose. If you have been playing GTA 3 at 30fps all along you will notice a huge difference. You can also off frame limiter and on frame sync so that the game runs at 60pfs but the game will still lag when driving so it is better to use this file and adjust the fps to be more than 60fps. Use Fraps software to check the fps  ingame. Do not off both the frame sync and frame limiter the game will run at very high fps depending on your pc hardware and that will cause all kinds of problems such as not being able to reverse.

Lastly, open your graphic card control panel and force 4x or 8x anti-aliasing using supersampling. This is better than multisampling but you will need to test it out to see if your hardware can handle it. Set anisotropic filtering to 16x. Run the game and enjoy!

Others: 

Those who want to play GTA 3 on a gamepad with full vibration support check this. http://steamcommunit...s/?id=172881491

Liberty Jam radio station from GTA Liberty Stories to replace Chatterbox FM. http://www.gtagarage...how.php?id=8006

Original GTA 3 HD Vehicles Tri Pack 3. http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=18215

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

With these mods, it will not make a good GTA III experience on PC in my opinion.

The best way to enjoy the true GTA III experience is to install it and play it  :)  .

• GTAKid667 likes this

RazorRain
  • RazorRain

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

You should give it a try sometime. Gives the game a much needed face lift.

mikezilla2
  • mikezilla2

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

will do

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:34 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 17 April 2014 - 01:40 PM.

Completely disagree here, GTA III doesn't need a face lift. It simply is a great experience (And the 'best') in its original format as Legomanarthur said.

Personally, I don't feel that modifications make a game 'better' at all, as they are not really that game anymore (At least in my opinion, some will disagree), though I can see why some would find this idea of yours to 'enhance' the game.

Also, I've added 'in my opinion' to the title, as the title is misleading to believe that what you are saying is fact. (Alternatives to the title will be accepted presuming they show that this is not fact) ;)

• lol232 likes this

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

You can also buy a cheap Xbox (original) and try that version which is graphically superior.

The frame cap modification is totally unnecessary. If you keep v-sync on your frame rate will be adjusted to match your monitor's refresh rate (mine is 75 Hz = 75 frames\second). I personally don't recommend setting your frame rate that high since weird things start to happen (these older games weren't made to run that fast). You should also always keep the v-sync option on at all times to prevent tearing. There's literally no disadvantage to that since you wouldn't benefit from setting your frame rate higher than your monitor's refresh rate.

By the way, does anyone know if the widescreen fix works with the Steam version? Or is there a similar fix for this version?

RazorRain
  • RazorRain

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Completely disagree here, GTA III doesn't need a face lift. It simply is a great experience (And the 'best') in its original format as Legomanarthur said.

Personally, I don't feel that modifications make a game 'better' at all, as they are not really that game anymore (At least in my opinion, some will disagree), though I can see why some would find this idea of yours to 'enhance' the game.

Also, I've added 'in my opinion' to the title, as the title is misleading to believe that what you are saying is fact. (Alternatives to the title will be accepted presuming they show that this is not fact) ;)

Could you change it to 'Ways to enchance GTA 3 on PC'? Sounds better. :)

You can also buy a cheap Xbox (original) and try that version which is graphically superior.

The frame cap modification is totally unnecessary. If you keep v-sync on your frame rate will be adjusted to match your monitor's refresh rate (mine is 75 Hz = 75 frames\second). I personally don't recommend setting your frame rate that high since weird things start to happen (these older games weren't made to run that fast). You should also always keep the v-sync option on at all times to prevent tearing. There's literally no disadvantage to that since you wouldn't benefit from setting your frame rate higher than your monitor's refresh rate.

By the way, does anyone know if the widescreen fix works with the Steam version? Or is there a similar fix for this version?

Yes I agree a frame cap at 75fps like your monitor is just nice for the game. However if you have a monitor of 60hz like most players then its better to increase the fps cap because I found the driving expecially to still be all laggy for no apparent reason. The widescreen should work fine for Steam version but you will need to download CLEO software for GTA 3 and place the widescreen fix file in it to make it work.

• GTAKid667 likes this

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

If you do that you'll get horrible screen tearing, but I guess some people don't mind that.

I've heard people complain about glitches at frame rates like that. I think they were related to running (if you run downwards on the dock stairs at Asuka's apartment it can send you flying into the ocean) and driving.

zmudziak32
  • zmudziak32

Playa

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

Try complete GTA III(100%) using GTA 3 Hardened 0.9

RazorRain
  • RazorRain

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:48 AM

If you do that you'll get horrible screen tearing, but I guess some people don't mind that.

I've heard people complain about glitches at frame rates like that. I think they were related to running (if you run downwards on the dock stairs at Asuka's apartment it can send you flying into the ocean) and driving.

I'm playing at 1080p and dont notice much screen tearing. Might depend on monitor as well. Just found out something new that if I just install the XBOX Mod the game does fine completely smooth at 60fps. The frame sync option in the game does not work so well as the game is still laggy so use the CLEO frame adjuster to set frame at 60fps and your good to go.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:31 AM Edited by Filip454, 18 April 2014 - 05:31 AM.

Nice guide but in my opinion, to enchance GTA 3 on PC, we just need widescreen fix, fps cap control and HQ radio stations.

You need to remember that with Xbox mod you won't get the original GTA 3 atmosphere. I want to remind you that Xbox version was a remake, yes, sadly it was just a remake.

Original textures, models, etc. look just like original PC version and PS2 version (this version is the original version with proper lighting etc, alt. sh*tty textures and sh*tty radio quality).

Xbox version is a HD remake by Rockstar Vienna and it could be done by practically everybody.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

It's not HD and it's not a remake. It uses the same engine only with a few upgrades here and there.

It's more like an improved version than a remake.

RazorRain
  • RazorRain

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:29 AM Edited by RazorRain, 18 April 2014 - 10:48 AM.

Being used to play new PC games, I really need something to make it more visually more appealing it you know what I'm saying. If you are not so keen with the XBOX and HD Vehicles mod make sure you force anti-aliasing for it at 4x-8x supersampling . That would make it look better too without mods. I love this game and all so I hope there will be some kind of official remake with new physics. What do you guys think?

lol232
  • lol232

We happy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

If you want to enhance GTA III graphically just get the XBOX version for the XBOX and use component cables for 1080p.
No need of installing mods on the PC, I don't like to do that for normal gameplay.

zmudziak32
  • zmudziak32

Playa

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

The good mod to enchence GTA III Gameplay is GTA 3 Hardened.

RazorRain
  • RazorRain

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

If you want to enhance GTA III graphically just get the XBOX version for the XBOX and use component cables for 1080p.
No need of installing mods on the PC, I don't like to do that for normal gameplay.

I get what you mean. XBOX version is for XBOX since the PC has its own. I'm just trying it out though since it has better models and too much of a hastle to get an Xbox. Now I'm reverting back to original because of some minor textures that are missing and this annoys me since I am a perfectionist. 

The good mod to enchence GTA III Gameplay is GTA 3 Hardened.

I don't know man. Guess I'll give it a try.  :evilgrin:

• lol232 likes this

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:37 PM Edited by Filip454, 18 April 2014 - 03:40 PM.

It's not HD and it's not a remake. It uses the same engine only with a few upgrades here and there.

OK, IF WE ARE SO PICKY

Many textures were remade. Happy now?

So it is safe to say this game is a small graphical remake - too much modifications to say that's it's an original.

HD or not HD, many things has been changed.

Don't forget about the petrol pumps that appear in the original GTA 3.

To play 100% original = you must get the PS2 version ;)

Silent
  • Silent

Altering R* Vision™ since 2008

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:16 PM Edited by Silent, 18 April 2014 - 06:18 PM.

Afaik there's none.

The game was made for 30FPS so sadly higher FPS mess up all kinds of frame-dependant stuff - flashing UI, physics. That's a fact.

To stay on topic, the game could do WITH SOME BUGS FIXED and, if you're using a gamepad, a PROPER WAY TO USE ONE  :whistle:
  • GTAKid667, RazorRain and Ermacs like this

RazorRain
  • RazorRain

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hi Silent! Thanks for making the xiinput work its great. I had added it in my post earlier as well.

Silent
  • Silent

Altering R* Vision™ since 2008

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

4) Widescreen fix. http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=15521
Place in CLEO folder.

Noo, that one's old and outdated. Check the one posted here:

http://gtaforums.com...een-fixes-pack/

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

OK, IF WE ARE SO PICKY

Many textures were remade. Happy now?

So it is safe to say this game is a small graphical remake - too much modifications to say that's it's an original.

HD or not HD, many things has been changed.

Don't forget about the petrol pumps that appear in the original GTA 3.

To play 100% original = you must get the PS2 version ;)

If you look at the definition for the word remake you will see that you are not using it correctly. It's the same game but improved.

A remake would be doing the same game again, from scratch.

RazorRain
  • RazorRain

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:07 AM Edited by RazorRain, 19 April 2014 - 10:08 AM.

4) Widescreen fix. http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=15521
Place in CLEO folder.

Noo, that one's old and outdated. Check the one posted here:

http://gtaforums.com...een-fixes-pack/

Is it really necessary? The CLEO version seems to work fine.

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

Is it really necessary? The CLEO version seems to work fine.

Cleo version doesn't have a single percent of the features, featured in the plugin.
  • RazorRain likes this

lol232
  • lol232

We happy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

I get what you mean. XBOX version is for XBOX since the PC has its own. I'm just trying it out though since it has better models and too much of a hastle to get an Xbox. Now I'm reverting back to original because of some minor textures that are missing and this annoys me since I am a perfectionist.

I understand that, I don't like modding GTA III too much since it had texture compression issues, the Original XBOX isn't very expensive these days though, I got mine with 2 controllers (Duke and S controller) and a HDD of 160 GB where I can store games, afterwards I got GTA III and component cables because it gives a lot better picture on HDTV (although they were hard as hell to find).
You should try the Liberty City Tweny Ten mod, though, that's a really decent mod.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

It's not so decent from what I remember. I used to get random crashes in some parts of the city.

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

If you look at the definition for the word remake you will see that you are not using it correctly. It's the same game but improved.

A remake would be doing the same game again, from scratch.

Sorry, I was mad.

Yes, I agree with you, but you know what I meant anyway :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users