Played IV today and was suprised....

50 replies to this topic
Meechy
  • Meechy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

For the first time since V's release I booted up IV to see how it played and if it's as good as I remember it.

WOW was I sure suprised.

- The handling was god awful. I don't know why anyone misses it. It's annoying as sh*t to turn and it really does feel boatlike.

- Barely any ped variation. I see the same peds over and over again. Saying the same things.

- It's actually pretty boring. There's really nothing to do after missions. NOTHING. I can be entertained by buying a burger only so many times. The atmosphere is so bland. Instead of the beautiful nighttime Los Santos boasts, it's just dark in Liberty City. The lighting is godawful and there's this terrible grey sheen over everything.

-Aiming and shooting mechanics are REALLY outdated. I've been spoiled by V's gunplay. It's fun, but it can actually get quite frustrating, along with the cover system which sometimes puts Niko into the line of fire, ironically.

-IV's online is a goddamn sh*tshow. Hackers run rampant, killing everywhere, the gamemodes get real old quick and nobody leaves the f*cking airport. It's basically the same besides the hackers.

-Taxis. Everywhere. WHY THE HELL IS THERE SO MANY TAXIS!

In retrospect: Nostalgia really does a lot for games. I grew up with GTA III and here I am at V. Every game is going to have it's strong suits and what not, for example I applaud IV's story (Not the missions though, christ were they tedious) and it's interiors, but for the most part the previous GTA's actually suck a sh*tload of ass. Vice City used to be my favorite GTA so imagine my suprise when I come back after playing V for 2 months and realizing it really was not that good. Same with IV. 

LASTLY: Don't give me that crap about being a "real" gta fan. Who put you on a pedestal and made you GTA king? It's a matter of opinion. If you think GTA III is the best GTA, that doesn't make you any less of a fan than me, vice versa.

• Mister Pink, orbitalraindrops, GTA564 and 8 others like this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Original Gangster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

You're not a real GTA fan.
  • livejoker, JamalG, gunziness and 18 others like this

Meechy
  • Meechy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

You're right. I'm as almost as fake as your mom's tits.

• Anzand17, vengeancehawk, Scaglietti and 3 others like this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Original Gangster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:04 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 16 April 2014 - 02:06 PM.

I was just taking the piss btw.

Anyway I could understand why someone would feel like that if they haven't played the game for so long. I've been playing GTA IV on a regular basis since GTA V's release (sometimes back to back), but I feel GTA IV has held up well. However that's just me.
  • theGTAking101, Jeansowaty and Scaglietti like this

Meechy
  • Meechy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

I was just taking the puss btw.

Anyway I could understand why someone would feel likectgstcanynire they haven't played the game for solong. I've been playing GTA IV on a regular basis since GTA V's release (sometimes back to back), but I feel GTA IV has held up well. However that's just me.

Yeah I was just f*cking with ya back. I have no idea what likectgstcanynire is haha. And I didn't say IV was a terrible game, it's just I feel like V is it's proper successor.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Original Gangster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Auto correction on I phone lol.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

I have been playing IV as of late and while I still feel it is a great game people have some serious nostalgia goggles. There are many things that V does better and I admit some things that could have been carried over like interiors and vigilante missions.

I also hate this real GTA fan stuff. Who died and made them god of the GTA universe?

• I<3GTAV, GTA564, Argon and 4 others like this

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

For the first time since V's release I booted up V to see how it played and if it's as boring as I remember it.

WOW was I sure not suprised.

- The handling is god awful. I don't know how anyone enjoys it. It's boring as sh*t to drift and it really does feel like crazy taxi.

- Barely any ped variation. I see the same peds over and over again. Saying the same things.

- It's actually pretty boring. There's really nothing to do after missions. NOTHING. I can be entertained by purchasing imaginary properties only so many times. The atmosphere is so bland. Instead of the beautiful variety of weathers Liberty City boasts, it's just constant sunshine in Los Santos. The lighting is godawful and there's this terrible saturation over everything.

-Aiming and shooting mechanics are REALLY outdated. I've been spoiled by IV's gunplay. It's not fun, it can actually get quite stale, along with the weak weapon sounds and lack of euphoria, there's almost nothing satisfying about it.

-V's online is a goddamn sh*tshow. Tanks run rampant, killing everyone, apartments get real old quick and nobody leaves the f*cking LSC. It's basically the same besides the hackers.

-Ruiners. Everywhere. WHY THE HELL IS THERE SO MANY RUINERS!

In retrospect: Pre-release hype really does a lot for sales. The first trailer was the reason I bought the game so imagine my suprise when I put the disc in my ps3.

LASTLY: Who put you on a pedestal and made you GTA king? It isn't a matter of opinion. If I think GTA IV is the best GTA, that only makes you a bit less of a fan than me.
  • Tycek, Katve, TheKillerDonuts and 4 others like this

Miss Malevolent
  • Miss Malevolent

Bitch³

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

I loved GTA 4 and I love GTA 5.

I have no complaints about either.

However I never played the online aspect of GTA 4, so I defer to other's judgments about it.

But story mode was awesome.

• Staten likes this

Meechy
  • Meechy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

For the first time since V's release I booted up V to see how it played and if it's as boring as I remember it.

WOW was I sure not suprised.

- The handling is god awful. I don't know how anyone enjoys it. It's boring as sh*t to drift and it really does feel like crazy taxi.

- It's actually pretty boring. There's really nothing to do after missions. NOTHING. I can be entertained by purchasing imaginary properties only so many times. The atmosphere is so bland. Instead of the beautiful variety of weathers Liberty City boasts, it's just constant sunshine in Los Santos. The lighting is godawful and there's this terrible saturation over everything.

-Aiming and shooting mechanics are REALLY outdated. I've been spoiled by IV's gunplay. It's not fun, it can actually get quite stale, along with the weak weapon sounds and lack of euphoria, there's almost nothing satisfying about it.

-V's online is a goddamn sh*tshow. Tanks run rampant, killing everyone, apartments get real old quick and nobody leaves the f*cking LSC. It's basically the same besides the hackers.

-Ruiners. Everywhere. WHY THE HELL IS THERE SO MANY RUINERS!

In retrospect: Pre-release hype really does a lot for sales. The first trailer was the reason I bought the game so imagine my suprise when I put the disc in my ps3.

LASTLY: Who put you on a pedestal and made you GTA king? It isn't a matter of opinion. If I think GTA IV is the best GTA, that only makes you a bit less of a fan than me.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

• I SHADOWFOX I likes this

_CoolLeon321_
  • _CoolLeon321_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

Okay, I'll just bring my most honest opinion about IV. For me, it's just the best GTA that R* has ever made (same with LCS). It's a masterpiece. I mean, there is no better virtual New York variation in existence in video games. That feel, that atmosphere, the dark story that actually is really good to other players, the... everything.

- The handling is actually really good in IV, not like that sliding in V. In IV, I never really crashed into some walls or cars while driving, it was just smooth and slow how it should be. In V, I just crash into everything. No, don't think I suck or something, I just never really got the real feeling of a GTA handling in V. (that damn sliding)

- I never seen duplicated pedestrians in V, and I never actually remembered any of them so I can say ''hey, that looks exactly like that other ped I saw!'' Okay, some exceptions with that fat whale lady at Chumash when Trevor wakes up there. But really, I never actually even remember those quotes from peds in V like in the other GTA games. All I remember is ''F*CK ME IN THE ASS.'' In IV we had some more funny quotes from peds. Well, pedestrians aren't so memorable in V... 

- The ''terrible (as you would say, OP)'' atmosphere is actually where the game shines. Well, after the missions, there aren't much things to do. Well, you can still go for the 100 percent? And then what? Well, play multiplayer with friends, try and get all achievements/trophies. Maybe find glitches and bugs. Graphics don't matter. LS can still look better at night, but the rainy LC at night just brings the cold nostalgic feeling, especially when flying an Annihilator.

- Actually, the shooting mechanics in V suck imo, yes, suck. Seriously... You try to aim, you don't ever know if it's auto-aiming or not. You have that really weird feeling, aiming up and aiming down just feels weird. Shooting lags. And then the character needs to use it's sponge-walking-animation that costs 2 seconds of your life to switch from running to aiming, and then running again, and then get killed in the back. Seriously. And the RPGs in V, what were they thinking??? The Rocket Launchers were just fun in IV online, always won these kinds of DMs, especially at the Prison. Okay, I don't suck at shooting in V, I love GTA Online's DMs and all. But seriously, the shooting and aiming just felts so weird. Oh, and V doesn't show you how much the opponent has health left, it's just a goddamn dot.

- The airport in IV is overrated as fvck, I must say. But it's not annoying as those Ron's TPI calls, or Simeon's annoying Import/Export requests, or those tanks blowing up your cars, blah blah. The IV online had that feel, it got boring really fast, ranking up was hard, but still, a great multiplayer experience. 

- Well, Taxis are everywhere because It's Liberty City, hellooooo. Try modding the PC version, guess what, even more taxis! Jesus, atleast you can find one easily on the streets and go anywhere you want in seconds. Not like calling Downtown Cab Co. and waiting millions of hours to get it spawned. Jesus.

Don't get me wrong. I DON'T hate GTAV. It's is a masterpiece, it is one of the bests in the GTA series, but I never really got that real GTA feeling I used to have while playing one of those games. Los Santos is well designed and a really good city, but Liberty City is really the best one in video game history.

• PulpFiction and Jeansowaty like this

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

For the first time since V's release I booted up IV to see how it played and if it's as good as I remember it.

WOW was I NOT suprised.

- The handling is fantastic. I don't know why anyone hate's it. It's annoying playing V as I sh*t to turn and I really do feel bloated.

- Barely any ped with clothes on. I see the same peds over the wild blue yonder again. Saying the same things.

- It's actually pretty great. There's really a lot to do after missions. NOTHING. I can be entertained by buying a burger only so many times. The atmosphere is so great. Instead of the beautiful nighttime Liberty City boasts, it's just dark in Los Santos. The lighting is godawful and there's this terrible grey sheen over everything.

-Aiming and shooting mechanics are REALLY outdated. I've been spoiled by IV's gunplay. It's fun, but it can actually get quite frustrating, along with the cover system which sometimes puts Niko into the line of fire, ironically.

-V's online is a goddamn sh*tshow. Hackers run rampant, killing everywhere, the gamemodes get real old quick and nobody leaves the f*cking airport. It's basically the same besides the hackers.

In retrospect: Nostalgia really does a lot for games. I grew up in GTA III and here I am at V. Every game is going to have it's strong smells and what not, for example I applaud V's story (Not the missions though, christ were they tedious) and it's interiors, but for the most part the previous GTA's actually stuck a sh*tload of ass. Vice City used to be my favorite GTA so imagine my suprise when I come back after playing V for 2 months and realizing it really  good. Same with IV. 

LASTLY: Don't give me that crap (I'm to cheap) about being a "real" gta fan. Who put you on a pedestal and made you GTA king? It's a matter of opinion. If you think GTA III is the best GTA, that doesn't make you any less of a fan than me, vice versa.

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:10 AM

who gives a sh*t

• Jeansowaty and Drunken Cowboy like this

Vanto
  • Vanto

Gangsta

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Yeah, it's difficult to know to drive in both IV and V.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Episodes from San Liberty

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Nostalgia? What? Everyone knows you can't get nostalgic from modern games!

Spoiler

I play IV on a regular basis, It never gets boring.

• Jeansowaty likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

I've actually been getting nostalgic for IV lately.  I gave it so much criticism and I still stand by it. But overall, I still enjoyed the game and that's the main thing. I actually put a lot of time in to the game. I'll go for another play through after I finish V again. :)

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:41 AM Edited by AceKingston, 17 April 2014 - 09:44 AM.

I've actually been getting nostalgic for IV lately.  I gave it so much criticism and I still stand by it. But overall, I still enjoyed the game and that's the main thing. I actually put a lot of time in to the game. I'll go for another play through after I finish V again. :)

I think you should attempt a realistic playthrough. You know like:

- Obeying traffic laws.

- Not stealing vehicles. Using the train or the taxi or walk to get around.

- Complete only 1 mission per day. No missions on weekends. (Since weekends are rest days)

- Eat and sleep regularly.

- No health pick-ups. Call the ambulance and they'll fix you up for a price.

- Change clothes regularly.

- Turn off the HUD and Radar.

- Go out with friends regularly.

- After a major mission (say Three Leaf Clover) lie low for a while.

And more. However a realistic playthrough requires a lot of planning. Just a suggestion. I've heard it helps you get immersed in the game a lot. I myself haven't played IV for some time now, I'll reinstall it in the summer soon and playthrough it again and then attempt a realistic playthrough. I am much more interested in this than playing GTA V. (Since I am a PC gamer I am still waiting for the PC announcement). Should be good fun. :)

• Mister Pink, Scaglietti and EM_JAY_86 like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:12 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 17 April 2014 - 10:14 AM.

Some people would think one was sad to play like that but I think that's a great idea man :)

However, I only have patients for obeying traffic laws for a short time. What I do is, if I think I'll get away with it, I'll do it but I'll drive realistically. 

• EM_JAY_86 likes this

super_slav
  • super_slav

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:20 PM Edited by dro0001, 17 April 2014 - 12:25 PM.

I went back to IV after completing 100% in GTA V and I have come to the conclusion.

1. Driving is way better in GTA IV and more realistic.

2. Story is way better in GTA IV.

3. Shooting is better in GTA IV, weapons actually have range limits.

4. GTA V's online is the worst online experience I have ever had, in any game.

and FYI, there are allot of taxis in NY. So it makes sense for there to be so many taxis.

• Scaglietti likes this

EM_JAY_86
  • EM_JAY_86

Snitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think you should attempt a realistic playthrough. You know like:

- Obeying traffic laws.

- Not stealing vehicles. Using the train or the taxi or walk to get around.

- Complete only 1 mission per day. No missions on weekends. (Since weekends are rest days)

- Eat and sleep regularly.

- No health pick-ups. Call the ambulance and they'll fix you up for a price.

- Change clothes regularly.

- Turn off the HUD and Radar.

- Go out with friends regularly.

- After a major mission (say Three Leaf Clover) lie low for a while.

And more. However a realistic playthrough requires a lot of planning. Just a suggestion. I've heard it helps you get immersed in the game a lot. I myself haven't played IV for some time now, I'll reinstall it in the summer soon and playthrough it again and then attempt a realistic playthrough. I am much more interested in this than playing GTA V. (Since I am a PC gamer I am still waiting for the PC announcement). Should be good fun. :)

I do this in IV!

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

Sorry OP, I beg to differ. I'm gonna have another playthrough of GTA IV real soon, I've not touched GTA V since January. I've got a yearning for those concrete, dark, gritty Liberty City streets, dealings with the Mafia, Russian and Irish Mobs, Black and Hispanic gangs from the hood and Jamaican posses. I also wanna go back to doing side stuff like delivering drugs, stealing cars for cash, hanging with armed gang member bodyguards and vigilante missions. 

That FIB, government agent stuff in V bores the life outta me. And as for side stuff in V ? Yoga, triathlon and towing cars just aint my thing.

• im_stoned likes this

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

i'm in the same situation too. after 6 months of only playing GTA V, i started playing GTA IV + Episodes a few weeks ago for a trophies run. me and a friend decided to platinum GTA IV (actually both platinum and 100%, along with all the dlc trophies). and man i'm having a blast. driving wise, i'm just like when i was at the GTA V release. GTA V's driving feels so sh*tty. i can't stand it. driving in IV is genuine. and overall too. this game (or should i say games? since IV, TLAD and TBOGT really feel like three different games and they have their own unique tastes to them) DON'T GET OLD. graphically. it's still beautiful. i don't think V topped IV graphically. but anyway i love GTA V as much as i love IV. and my advice to those people who just couldn't get over GTA IV: i feel you. V feels different from IV in some major ways. but just give it a second chance. it's not as bad as you think when you get used to it. you people just developed some resistance against GTA V. it's psychological. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

i'm in the same situation too. after 6 months of only playing GTA V, i started playing GTA IV + Episodes a few weeks ago for a trophies run. me and a friend decided to platinum GTA IV (actually both platinum and 100%, along with all the dlc trophies). and man i'm having a blast. driving wise, i'm just like when i was at the GTA V release. GTA V's driving feels so sh*tty. i can't stand it. driving in IV is genuine. and overall too. this game (or should i say games? since IV, TLAD and TBOGT really feel like three different games and they have their own unique tastes to them) DON'T GET OLD. graphically. it's still beautiful. i don't think V topped IV graphically. but anyway i love GTA V as much as i love IV. and my advice to those people who just couldn't get over GTA IV: i feel you. V feels different from IV in some major ways. but just give it a second chance. it's not as bad as you think when you get used to it. you people just developed some resistance against GTA V. it's psychological. 

Deep down many are pissed that R catered to the people who criticized IV. They feel like R sold out to the casuals instead of holding their ground and making IV on the west coast. When you run a major company and a game gets the same kind of response IV was getting until recently you do things different the next time. It's just smart business.

• kipakolonyasi likes this

/////AMG
  • /////AMG

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Taxis. Everywhere. WHY THE HELL IS THERE SO MANY TAXIS!

Because New York.

EditingYourMouth
  • EditingYourMouth

I saw that new GTA game, Midnight Club : Los Santos

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

WOW was I sure suprised.

- The handling was god awful. I don't know why anyone misses it. It's annoying as sh*t to turn and it really does feel boatlike.

- It's actually pretty boring. There's really nothing to do after missions. NOTHING. I can be entertained by buying a burger only so many times. The atmosphere is so bland. Instead of the beautiful nighttime Los Santos boasts, it's just dark in Liberty City. The lighting is godawful and there's this terrible grey sheen over everything.

-Aiming and shooting mechanics are REALLY outdated. I've been spoiled by V's gunplay. It's fun, but it can actually get quite frustrating, along with the cover system which sometimes puts Niko into the line of fire, ironically.

-IV's online is a goddamn sh*tshow. Hackers run rampant, killing everywhere, the gamemodes get real old quick and nobody leaves the f*cking airport. It's basically the same besides the hackers.

In retrospect: Nostalgia really does a lot for games. I grew up with GTA III and here I am at V. Every game is going to have it's strong suits and what not, for example I applaud IV's story (Not the missions though, christ were they tedious) and it's interiors, but for the most part the previous GTA's actually suck a sh*tload of ass. Vice City used to be my favorite GTA so imagine my suprise when I come back after playing V for 2 months and realizing it really was not that good. Same with IV. 

LASTLY: Don't give me that crap about being a "real" gta fan. Who put you on a pedestal and made you GTA king? It's a matter of opinion. If you think GTA III is the best GTA, that doesn't make you any less of a fan than me, vice versa.

Hey we have one hairy butthole here. GTA IV is obviously the best game ever made and who ever can't accept that can obviously go eat his mom's cum collection.

• Jeansowaty likes this

I will pwn you newbs
  • I will pwn you newbs

Homie

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

There's so many taxis because ITS BASED ON NEW YORK CITY. And I actually like the terrible lighting at night it's awesome. I don't understand wht nighttime is so bright in V

XavMashes
  • XavMashes

Liberty City guy

• Members
  • Uruguay

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:16 AM

Lighting always depends on the game and the TV settings, you can get the perfect bright by adjusting them.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:19 AM

I think, even with its flaws, GTA IV is much more amazing with graphics, mechanics, environment, and innovation for a six-year-old game than V is for a game about half a year old.

• PulpFiction, Jeansowaty and MisterFR3SH like this

LucasTehNoob
  • LucasTehNoob

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:39 AM

"Taxis everywhere"

What do you expect from a city based off of New York City?

• Drunken Cowboy and Johnny Spaz like this

MisterFR3SH
  • MisterFR3SH

Liberty is Love, Liberty is Life.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:22 AM Edited by MisterFR3SH, 18 April 2014 - 09:10 PM.

There is something with GTA V that does not fit, it does not have that "GTA vibe" like the previous GTA's had. I'm not 100% sure on what you would call it but is just missing that "GTA vibe".

I personally thought that GTA IV was a better game overall compared to GTA V.

GTA IV had a much better storyline but GTA V had better missions to do.

The world of GTA IV felt more alive, when you went into Star Junction (Time Square), it was filled with pedestrians and vehicles. GTA V felt lifeless, it is very dull as the city lacked pedestrians and vehicles on the streets.

I also like the airport in GTA IV, it may of been overrated but it was the central area for all the havoc and fun in the multiplayer free roam. GTA V lacks an area where online players hang out, we just mess around on the map and go past each other every once and a while, I get bored after 10 to 15 minutes of doing this.

• kvic and Deadly Target like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users