Yeah, I'll agree with the statement the OP made about the game feeling "rushed"... I imagine though, that they ran out of time and had to put out the game before the holidays and the release of the next gen consoles... of course one possible thing to have done to avoid "rushing" the game in the end was perhaps to have hired more people to work on it earlier on, but who knows for sure how any of that works in the real life hocus pocus world of video game design project management... I'd say based on current sales of the game, it would not have made much of a dent in profits... but once again, who am I to say...
I tend to try and keep my expectations very low in regards to rockstar, I like their games, but lets face it, they are so full of sh*t when you read an interview with anyone who speaks for them... they don't make any promises EVER, but they bluesky bulls**t you till the cows come home telling you anything just short of saying it will actually be in the game, so trying to figure out if they will actually ever include features people want, improve existing features or follow through to evolve stuff logically is as hopeless as expecting a used car salesman to to be honest about the meaning of "mint condition".
I have liked all the games in the series, some more than others... but despite not reading much into the interviews, articles and previews there is still a level of disappointment to not see things that were heavily implied to be in the new games each time and which really should have existed.
Things that were in my opinion "possible" and were requested-
• Vigilante missions... really, why not? But at least they worked out how to do yoga in a video game.
• Bank robberies... if not earlier in the game why not later... some of the banks have detailed interiors, so they probably considered it and then nixed it because it might give SP too much replay value.
• A couple of other garages in SP to purchase... yeah, its a driving game I want to own as many cars as I can, I'm car greedy... 13 or 14 vehicles is sucky... probably would cut into OL profits though.
• A couple of extra homes and apartments to purchase in SP... CJ had them back in the day, but GTA 5 don't... Once again, probably interpreted as a threat to online play profits, so not included.
• No f**king yoga... what a friggin' waste of resources...
• A jetpack... those bastards baited us with a mural depicting one and implying it was some sort of prize for completing the game, but there is none to be found.
• Molotov cocktails or a flame thrower... who knows why this was omitted.
• NOS systems on at least a couple of cars.
• Ambulance missions. But at least we got the best damn yoga simulation possible.
• No locked interiors... or unlock them after the game is completed... this really, really sucks... so much detail goes to waste.
• Better weapons aiming system for helicopters... or at least a working aiming system, most people can't hit anything with this garbage. missiles only target some threats and when aiming at ground shooters you hardly ever take them out in one shot. Booooooooooooooooooo!
• More songs per station... I really don't care anymore, I don't care anymore, no more, no more-or-or-or to hear Phil Collins every 10 minutes... I liked the song, but now I hate it...
• Gang wars... That was fun back in the day... but why would you play online if that was sufficient to entertain you.
• Better cheats... Really these suck more than ever... and why the hell do we need a code for the Trashmaster? Have you ever dreamed of cruising the strip in a garbage truck? If so, seek professional counseling.
• An actual use for the casino, prison, mall or fort... maybe we will get that in "GTA V: Tales from Los Santos" or whatever the filler game to GTA 6 will be... but we will probably lose other stuff we like from this version, so we will be having another "Why did they do that?" discussion then.
Stuff they blueskyed us with, implied would be done, hinted at or just plain yanked our chain with:
• That F**KING mural... being more than useless graffiti... don't get me started on that... please.
• Fire actually burning things... though it was never pointed out as to which game (GTA XXIV Mos Eisley City?) this has been talked about several times over the years... Aside from the house that trevor burns down, cars, and rocket victims... you get the feeling it is rather "weak" at best... at least if things would blacken it would be semi convincing... Fire- Boooooooooooo! Boring!
• Destructible structures, or objects.... I'm more than sure I read about this a couple of times, though I can't point out a reference... but really, one or two houses that would blow up, burn down... actual damage to a wall when I hit it with my car instead of a decal of some cracks. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, lose the damn omnipotent shrubs of death... what the f**k is going on with these shrubs a tank can't go over?!??!?
• Forests... Several preview pix show actual forests in the mountains... So what the f**k killed all the trees? Even if it was not possible to have had decent size forests, it would have been nice to have had a least one two or three block area that was denser than we generally got. The forests really feel lame.
There are a bunch of things I don't miss, but expected would be in this game... Basketball is one... come on, really? No B-ball? But we did get yoga, so I suppose we shouldn't complain, besides I hear nowadays all the kids in the projects are doing yoga instead of hanging out at the courts, so I suppose thats more realistic... Booooooooo! Yoga... Boooooooo!
Realistically I never expect anything logical from Rockstar and if I actually find something I like, I'm genuinely surprised and happy to know that it will be gone in the next game so I will always fondly miss it!