Photo

One aim mode in GTA:O Discussion

102 replies to this topic
Cyb3rslug
  • Cyb3rslug

Dat Auzzie

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:53 AM

Now first off, can we keep this discussion civilized? If you're going to complain then don't bother posting. 

I've noticed a lot of talk about assisted aim vs free aim ( as I'm sure the whole community has )  :lol: 
I was curious if people would actually use free am if it was implemented better? Say more fluid and precise..like say max payne 3 or gears of war. 

This topic is to discuss the idea of just one aim mode in the next iteration of GTA:O.
I myself find it annoying to drive past someone only for them to lock onto me and gun me down in 2 seconds.
Also the fact that assisted aiming lobbies are more populated than free aim lobbies sucks but not to mention that most people I know play in assisted aiming and not free aim, I find splitting the community is bad because it literally separates the player base.

Opinions? Discuss. 

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:13 AM

I understand the OP's point that FA and AA separates the community.  But until the miserable console controllers improve, I need auto-aim.  So I vote for AA to be the only mode.

• shadyelf, xoC18H21NO3xo, jtet37 and 1 other like this

GTAMYBABIES
  • GTAMYBABIES

Friendship Is Magic

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:20 AM Edited by GTAMYBABIES, 14 April 2014 - 03:20 AM.

I would prefer hard core mode from rdr. Only see blips when someone shoots. Makes for great sniping experiences. Freeaim the whole time.
  • tjor24 and XJpostman like this

Killzone3265
  • Killzone3265

i get flustered at times

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

admittedly, free aim sucks

its all about whoever has the highest ping, and slowest aiming speed. the game was built for auto aim, free aim is just too choppy

though i do prefer it over being sliced out of my car for driving past anybody in auto aim

• xoC18H21NO3xo, teh_g, XJpostman and 2 others like this

Semperfiman550
  • Semperfiman550

The Dark Below

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

its all about whoever has the highest ping, and slowest aiming speed. the game was built for auto aim, free aim is just too choppy

though i do prefer it over being sliced out of my car for driving past anybody in auto aim

This. FA isn't cost efficient either. If you don't get the kill with the first few bullets then the spread widens and you just end up wasting ammo. AA for sure.

• xoC18H21NO3xo and NuklerGhost101838 like this

ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:34 AM

Free aim is for PC.

End of story.

• Target13, Oz70NYC and NuklerGhost101838 like this

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:36 AM Edited by Crimson Flam3s, 14 April 2014 - 03:38 AM.

It's pretty obvious that if R* made online all free aim default people wouldn't even miss auto aim, it's just that once you get sucked into auto aim, it's really hard to go back to free aim, but totally worth it.

To those saying that free aim is too hard, it really isn't. I do agree though, that the mechanics should have been more like max payne 3, idk why they lowered their standars there, but it doesn't make it hard.

I play "high level" free aim dm's all the time and people are killing left and right in a second with perfect aim, we even host pistol dm's and if you hesitate for a second, you getting killed by a headshot, guaranteed.

Of course for us that have been free aiming since the beginning, it's taken longer to get to this skill level, but if we where to teach someone a couple basic skills here and there such as rolling prediction and run and gun, they would quickly get the hand of it and play much better.

Mouse and keyboard is just an excuse btw.

• T0X1C, NudasPriest, Dbns_Finest and 3 others like this

LightningLord411
  • LightningLord411

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

If I have to see another one of these "Aim Mode" threads...
:facedesk:

Mosin Nagant 91/30
  • Mosin Nagant 91/30

Jet stealing professional

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

A 3rd person game like this with horrible jerky free aiming sucks. Not to mention the AI get %100 accuracy. No. Traditional GTA auto aim is much better and fluid.
  • NuklerGhost101838, Mr. Crowley and LightningLord411 like this

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:41 AM Edited by FR_Player-One, 14 April 2014 - 03:44 AM.

You can aim with the gatling gun,
You can aim with the rocket launcher,
You can aim with the grenade launcher,
You can aim with the sniper rifles,
You can throw C4 and grenades without help,

You can aim with pistols and submachine gun from a car... !

But SOMEHOW, you can not aim with any other gun ? Wtf is that ?!

Seriously AA users will always find an excuse and cry about something, huh-huh controler huh-huh ping huh-huh it's for PC huh-huhuhuhu...
-_- Not saying FA in GTA is perfect, but geez, it doesn't take a lot of effort to be able to shoot properly, like any game.

• GrandMaster Smith, EyeMacHunt, NuclearCore and 4 others like this

Hotfuzz128
  • Hotfuzz128

MetalUpYourAss

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

.u9iQKQm.gif

• Crimson Flam3s, tjor24, GankThis110 and 3 others like this

Cyb3rslug
  • Cyb3rslug

Dat Auzzie

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:47 AM

I would prefer hard core mode from rdr. Only see blips when someone shoots. Makes for great sniping experiences. Freeaim the whole time.

I think something like this would definitely make online less of a camp fest. You're able to see someone across the street easily because they have their name hovering above their head the whole time which might as well be a giant sign saying " HEY KILL ME ". All you have to do next is hold the aim button and empty a mag.  

My biggest gripe with free aim is when you actually aim ( the irony )  :lol: 
I think a lot of people would agree that when you fire from the hip, that the shooting is quite fluid and almost like max payne 3. 
Obviously the game was meant to be played in assisted aim mode since well, every gta before hand has done this. 

I think ultimately the best the would be a combination of assisted aim and free aim. Like some sort of free aim with an aim assist like found in most third person shooters.

Yes I know but, I'm trying to have this as a discussion and not.. 

NUH FREE AIM IS FOR MLG AND AA LOBBIES ARE FOAR 12 YR OLDS. 

If you don't want to have any input then you don't have to post here my friend... 

• LightningLord411 likes this

Semperfiman550
  • Semperfiman550

The Dark Below

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:48 AM Edited by Semperfiman550, 14 April 2014 - 03:48 AM.

1) no bullet spread, just need one lucky pass over.

2) explosive, don't need extreme accuracy.

3) explosive, don't need extreme accuracy.

4) can be used out of range of lock on, doesn't count.

5) explosive, don't need extreme accuracy.

6) very limited spread, but still a decent argument... but your only one.

conclusion: go f*ck yourself.

• Upggrade and NuklerGhost101838 like this

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

I think something like this would definitely make online less of a camp fest. You're able to see someone across the street easily because they have their name hovering above their head the whole time which might as well be a giant sign saying " HEY KILL ME ". All you have to do next is hold the aim button and empty a mag.  

My biggest gripe with free aim is when you actually aim ( the irony )  :lol: 
I think a lot of people would agree that when you fire from the hip, that the shooting is quite fluid and almost like max payne 3. 
Obviously the game was meant to be played in assisted aim mode since well, every gta before hand has done this. 

I think ultimately the best the would be a combination of assisted aim and free aim. Like some sort of free aim with an aim assist like found in most third person shooters.

Yes I know but, I'm trying to have this as a discussion and not.. 

NUH FREE AIM IS FOR MLG AND AA LOBBIES ARE FOAR 12 YR OLDS. 

If you don't want to have any input then you don't have to post here my friend... 

I had a discussion with someone about this. Ultimately if rockstar had made the aim assist like most games, where the reticule simply slows down near an enemy, as opposed to automatically snapping to them, it would have been so much better and people wouldn't be complaining and or fighting.

I don't care if someone likes assisted aim, more power to them, and I hope they enjoy it, but saying that it's too hard to aim in free mode is simply a lie, as anyone decent in a free aim deathmatch can aim almost as good as assisted( not vs cars lol) and the elite can easily get headshots in a second.

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

huh-huh bullet spread huh-huh we need to be accurate huh-huh :'(

Want a tissue ?

Cyb3rslug
  • Cyb3rslug

Dat Auzzie

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

huh-huh bullet spread huh-huh we need to be accurate huh-huh :'(

Want a tissue ?

Just stop.

Both of you. 

I will not let my little thread become a cesspool like the rest of this forum.

Please discuss things and if not then don't bother posting here.

SteveNYC81
  • SteveNYC81

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:34 AM Edited by SteveNYC81, 14 April 2014 - 04:34 AM.

Way to start another holy war OP. Here have a cat loaf, hope you learnt your lesson :catloaf:

• Timely and MilosSarcev like this

Ninja_Gear
  • Ninja_Gear

Boss

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

How about a no-aim mode? All you can do is press the fire button and your character will go and shoot around like an idiot.

Cyb3rslug
  • Cyb3rslug

Dat Auzzie

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

Way to start another holy war OP. Here have a cat loaf, hope you learnt your lesson :catloaf:

Probably should of seen it going to happen tbh  :lol:

Warlordfrost
  • Warlordfrost

Mentally Stable Killer

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:44 AM

Tabula Rasa
  • Tabula Rasa

Don't get me wet! Ladies please..4 at a time.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

Free aims the life for me, its mostly that rp bonus; but there's a lot that I like about it, idc though.

tjor24
  • tjor24

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

I understand free aims shortcomings, but even if i lose a gunfight due to lag I'll take that every day over having the game aim for me. It's just too boring and non competitive. And this game is very populated right now but in 4 years when it probably dies down will i have to play in assisted aim just to find a decent size lobby? Great point OP...I'd like then to make it all free aim but that's unlikely...

And to add I just play with a fairly low sensitivity so my aim isn't all over the place. It's probably on 3. 

Jolly Swagman
  • Jolly Swagman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

yOkVfM7.gif

• ChrilLe likes this

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:20 AM Edited by SFBryan18, 14 April 2014 - 06:21 AM.

I admit GTA freeaim has some controller lag and is not as smooth as most FPS, but I still do my best in it because we are all in the same boat and I prefer to actually earn my hit markers instead of letting the game do it for me. I personally believe autoaim should have stayed in single player only, but that's just my opinion from years of online experience. I never have a problem finding a full lobby in freeaim though since Cali has so many people playing.

• tjor24 and Punisher. like this

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Meep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

From experience, aiming with the left trigger/L2 feels way too slow in this game; I've died sooo many times trying to kill other players by aiming the regular way. Like someone else mentioned, hip-firing with the right trigger/R2 feels more fluid, but it should be the opposite though. The free-aiming in this game is awkward, but it doesn't stop me from playing FA. (:

My only gripe with free-aim is the severe lack of players playing anything other than Free Roam and Rooftop Rumble. I hate switching back and forth from Traditional just to do a  race/deathmatch/capture/parachute/etc...

elfoam
  • elfoam

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

+ one million. You shouldn't see other players who are not friends or crew unless you hear them or sight them, just like the deathmatch system IMHO, it would make for a much better game

TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

I play in free aim lobbies 90% of the time so it wouldn't matter to me. They're always empty and I use my Buzzard for missions so I like the xtra RP.

Maybe put the option in the job lobby 

maybeanotherone
  • maybeanotherone

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:33 AM Edited by maybeanotherone, 14 April 2014 - 08:36 AM.

i would play free aim, but it's stupid having npc's auto aiming you either way.

i played max payne in free aim, gta needs to be auto aim.
there's simply too many targets from all angles and directions.

auto aim is ballanced, you don't win by skill alone, you win if you're smart aswell.

it as easy to die as it is to kill, unless you play smart.

FA shows who has better reaction time, hand/eye coordination
AA shows whos smarter because it's too easy to kill

if gta was free aim everyone would use the Assault Shotgun like they already do now.
free aim serves no purpose than bragging rights.

if i want to brag about aim i'll go play a dedicated shooter.

oh yeah FA gives you a bit more RP.
that useless thing after 120

run and gun destroyed mp3, too easy to dual wield two auto pistols.

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

you don't win by skill at all, you win if you're lagging

Fixed.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

Now first off, can we keep this discussion civilized? If you're going to complain then don't bother posting. 

I've noticed a lot of talk about assisted aim vs free aim ( as I'm sure the whole community has )  :lol: 
I was curious if people would actually use free am if it was implemented better? Say more fluid and precise..like say max payne 3 or gears of war. 

This topic is to discuss the idea of just one aim mode in the next iteration of GTA:O.
I myself find it annoying to drive past someone only for them to lock onto me and gun me down in 2 seconds.
Also the fact that assisted aiming lobbies are more populated than free aim lobbies sucks but not to mention that most people I know play in assisted aiming and not free aim, I find splitting the community is bad because it literally separates the player base.

Opinions? Discuss. 

I've finally come around to trying out free-aim and I like it a lot (although I haven't played any missions with it yet, just free roam.)

My suggestion would be that an option should come up on screen when you switch to Online Mode saying:

- Free Aim

- Assisted Aim

And you pick which one. If this had been in place since September I would certainly have tested using Free Aim far earlier. Rockstar haven't promoted the feature in any way (except a loading screen message) and this is why it is utilised by less people.

My absolute preference would be to have one lobby with the default being a combination of these two aims, where assisted aim comes into play when players are in very close proximity and with increased distance, free aim.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users