GTA V doesn't feel like a GTA?

149 replies to this topic
Lance_Vance89
  • Lance_Vance89

Vance Crime Family Co:CEO

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

The only thing i felt was missing was a bit more depth added to the characters. It felt like Franklins back story wasn't explored as much as it could've been and such things. I understand that they wanted to get to the point where all the protagonists were together and that the game is supposed to tell their story but i felt a bit hasted in my opinion.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

GTA IV's driving was realistic? I assume you're driving a car with the softest suspension ever made.

3hVLsI.gif

This, if they at least gave us lowriders then I'd be f*cking content with V.

Only old cars and low riders should have soft suspension.  Makes no sense with a super car.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:15 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 13 April 2014 - 05:18 PM.

GTA started becoming Mature and into a Crime Sim since the start of the HD Era (2008-2013),the 2D and 3D Eras (1997-1999,2001-2006) are Legendary.The things is that most GTA fans (Vets/Originals or have been with the Series since III) cant see past the legendary and classical ages of GTA and are always and we always hate on modern Installments of the franchise....

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Last night I decided to play some GTA IV, I realised GTA V just doesn't feel like a Grand Theft Auto game???

Is it just me?, I can't really pin point it but I think one of the obvious things that throws it off for me is the fact there isn't really a distinctive theme song for V; III, San Andreas, Vice City , IV all had those amazing theme songs, there is other things that make it feel like a different franchise to me but I'm really not sure what they are. 

yeah maybe some discussion can help me out here?

(also playing IV after V for so long made me realise how sh*t the driving mechanic was)

Theme songs, how? the radio stations in GTA V are for the is most part okay, but it is better than GTA IV, take a look at west coast classics and compare it to any rap station in IV. It's just better, it's even better than the ones in VC, because in the 80s hip hop wasn't at it's prime yet IMO. III no it didn't have any good stations. The only one that comes against V is SA, which is better IMO. There are also other good stations such as space which is much better than the vibe. LSRR is equal to LCRR, which is the only good station in IV. I know a lot of people like radio broker from IV or radio mirror park, but those weren't good for me .

As for the driving mechanics, I love both really, as I think they both fit in their environments. But I still think IV's is far more realistic. But regardless I still love the driving in V.

As for it not feeling like a GTA, I think what take out that feeling are the FIB missions, though in the beginning they were fine IMO, but after Blitz Play it really did became weird. Though for the most part, the game remains somewhat consistent. I think whenever the game makes you do the FIB missions it takes away the feeling, but when it doesn't it feels like a GTA game. So for me it comes and goes.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

@ kingkock666 ( avoiding long quote )

I'm not appreciating that part, which like me, many Past GTA players have known since day 1.
Unless, I break into comparing each featur-to-feature, mission-to-mission of every GTA, the debate will never end, since with every release the clash of the past and the present games is imminent.
But, as you rightly said, it's not copy and paste anymore, changes are welcome, like for example: those ambulance, firetruck missions, those plain collectible counts, and many such tiring tasks of the past are given an intetesting approach in GTA V.
As such, I am not denying the changes, that's cool nor trying to show GTA V in a bad picture by being totally ignorant.
But, without going into too obvious details, GAME PLAY is not as interesting, feels too limiting, most action and challenging missions are highly scripted and are few in number, the random encounters offer no replay value, thus becoming boring fast.
The Property side-missions are f*cking worst than GTA VC.
Epsilon missions could have seen much more extended (challenging) elements thrown in.
After story you will actually realise that the map is not that lively nor capable of giving you any thing more outside story missions (except side missions). I was expecting to see in GTA V some of the best activities after story than the past.
Rockstar did manage to meet my expectations, except it's called GTA ONLINE.
So, it's not about nostalgia at all, rather glaring issues in the gameplay, that are no more as appealing as the past and got divided among ONLINE and OFFLINE GTA.
  • Official General, MetalMilitia89 and matajuegos01 like this

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

How does it not feel like GTA? You're still a criminal; you rob banks, steal cars, assassinate people, and kill a lot of cops and civilians.
  • DeafMetal likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

I played IV for a few days just to see how great the driving actually is and while I don't mind it half the vehicles feel like they have hydraulics when they don't. They are all so bouncy. This is what people think is so much better than V.

• I<3GTAV likes this

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

People feel that because missions are more scripted this time.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Insert Things I Hate Here

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Personally GTA 4 didn't feel like a GTA to me, it seemed to me it was trying to step away from it's legacy, but V seemed to gave gone back to it's roots, and extra GTA style elements

Roots? GTA V is stepping away from the legacy, and I fail to see how IV was. Health regeneration, special abilities, major focus on the online mode, no Vigilante, no rewards for hanging out with friends/girlfriends, forced aiding mechanics, ...

• MiamiViceCity, sqre, Deadly Target and 6 others like this

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:39 PM Edited by Gregers08, 13 April 2014 - 06:50 PM.

Yeah I think it's the music too OP. Welcome to Los Santos, The Grip or  North Yankton memories should have been the central theme of the game, and by central theme I mean the loading screen, mission complete, pause sceen and 30 second warning music for online game modes. Currently we have loading screen music that is a random song that came out 2 years before GTAV, a variation of NYM for the pause music, WTLS as the opening game music and crickets for mission complete. It just all feels too random, even the XMB music is another song in the game's soundtrack :facedesk:

Edit: found the original loading screen song, uploaded in 2011

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

I do agree that Welcome to Los Santos should have been the loading screen music. I have no idea why it wasn't.

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

I do agree that Welcome to Los Santos should have been the loading screen music. I have no idea why it wasn't.

That was a terrible move they made, the loading theme song is fine, but is not as good as past gta games, especially gta 3's piano style theme. I just love that one.

kvic
  • kvic

Grand PooBar

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

GTA 6 "Wall Street Raiders" About a old over the hill, overweight ex hood starting his own stock market scam ,get us back to the car stealing ,shady under world characters ,the drug deals the cars that don't throw you through the winshield when you touch the breaks . GIVE US THE DAM PC VERSION  so we can make it  what WE want.

• sqre likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Maybe because we moved on from jacking cars and fending for yourself in the criminal underworld to playing several government agencies and private military companies against each other and SCUBA diving into underwater terrorist chemical laboratories. 

• sqre, Official General, Woll Smoth and 2 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:37 PM Edited by Official General, 13 April 2014 - 10:08 PM.

As for it not feeling like a GTA, I think what take out that feeling are the FIB missions, though in the beginning they were fine IMO, but after Blitz Play it really did became weird. Though for the most part, the game remains somewhat consistent. I think whenever the game makes you do the FIB missions it takes away the feeling, but when it doesn't it feels like a GTA game. So for me it comes and goes.

Yeah that's kinda how I felt too. That's just the problem here though - most of the game's story was taken up by that FIB and Merryweather stuff after Trevor comes to Los Santos. That's why most of it the game did not feel like GTA to me. It was only towards the end the game began to feel like GTA again when Michael gets kidnapped by the Triads, Lamar's kidnap by the Ballas, and the last heist where you actually got paid after a very long time of not being paid. 

Maybe because we moved on from jacking cars and fending for yourself in the criminal underworld to playing several government agencies and private military companies against each other and SCUBA diving into underwater terrorist chemical laboratories. 

This  :^:

Pursuit of the almighty dollar, whatever the f*ck that was supposed to be, V sure did not feel like it was that. 

• sqre likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:59 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 13 April 2014 - 10:01 PM.

Missions are always scripted. Missions in ANY game are scripted. They are complaining because of the FIB/Merryweather missions. If anything the missions were much more fun and varied in GTA V, while it was the opposite in IV, because it was almost the same repetitive sh*t in every mission. The main complain is the story.

CSUdude
  • CSUdude

Free Candy van driver

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

I disagree with the OP. I played GTAIII through GTAVCS on the PS2. I skipped GTAIv only to buy a PS3 to play V and then IV. gTAV absolutely feels like a GTA game, albeit a much more advance version of its predecessors.

Brandonn96
  • Brandonn96

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:13 PM Edited by Brandonn96, 13 April 2014 - 10:16 PM.

Last night I decided to play some GTA IV, I realised GTA V just doesn't feel like a Grand Theft Auto game???

Is it just me?, I can't really pin point it but I think one of the obvious things that throws it off for me is the fact there isn't really a distinctive theme song for V; III, San Andreas, Vice City , IV all had those amazing theme songs, there is other things that make it feel like a different franchise to me but I'm really not sure what they are. 

yeah maybe some discussion can help me out here?

(also playing IV after V for so long made me realise how sh*t the driving mechanic was)

Theme songs, how? the radio stations in GTA V are for the is most part okay, but it is better than GTA IV, take a look at west coast classics and compare it to any rap station in IV. It's just better, it's even better than the ones in VC, because in the 80s hip hop wasn't at it's prime yet IMO. III no it didn't have any good stations. The only one that comes against V is SA, which is better IMO. There are also other good stations such as space which is much better than the vibe. LSRR is equal to LCRR, which is the only good station in IV. I know a lot of people like radio broker from IV or radio mirror park, but those weren't good for me .

As for the driving mechanics, I love both really, as I think they both fit in their environments. But I still think IV's is far more realistic. But regardless I still love the driving in V.

A theme song like at the beginning of the game on start up, not radio stations and I agree with what others have said "Welcome To Los Santos" was so so underused , it was prominent in the opening cinematic then was gone, I think that is one of the main reasons it feels strange to me

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:13 PM Edited by Official General, 13 April 2014 - 11:28 PM.

Missions are always scripted. Missions in ANY game are scripted. They are complaining because of the FIB/Merryweather missions. If anything the missions were much more fun and varied in GTA V, while it was the opposite in IV, because it was almost the same repetitive sh*t in every mission. The main complain is the story.

I have always agreed that V has more mission variety than IV. V definitely wins in that area, as a good number of IV's main story missions were quite repetitive because they mainly revolved around being a hitman or eliminating targets. But it don't mean that I had any less fun with IV than I did with V because of this factor. Strangely enough, I just found myself having more fun with IV than I did with V, even though V had the better mission variety. I suppose my preference for IV was down to IV's much better story that had more to do with organized crime and gangs, and the bigger availability of crime-related side missions - stuff which which interests me the most in GTA, and V did not really emphasize this well enough for me.

• MiamiViceCity and Lock N' Stock like this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'm not saying it affected the game deeply. It was a minor immersion that was ruined. Nor did it ruin much of my fun either. But it would have been great to have missions varied in different ways so we could have felt like we've fulfilled each purpose of the mission. And you wouldn't feel bored of doing the same sh*t and makes you feel like you could do it in your own way. By the repetitive sh*t in missions, I felt like there was absolutely no purpose at all.

But the story was very good, so it made up for it.

Brandonn96
  • Brandonn96

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

I'm not saying it affected the game deeply. It was a minor immersion that was ruined. Nor did it ruin much of my fun either. But it would have been great to have missions varied in different ways so we could have felt like we've fulfilled each purpose of the mission. And you wouldn't feel bored of doing the same sh*t and makes you feel like you could do it in your own way. By the repetitive sh*t in missions, I felt like there was absolutely no purpose at all.

on the subject of the story , I'm on my 3rd playthrough and I realised they just tried to fit too many scenarios in there, which is why I feel that character development and dialog is a bit off at times, for example when Michael and Trevor first get in touch , they are hostile for about 5 minutes and uneasy buds by the end of the mission.

Which links back to my original statement as to why I felt it wasn't a GTA story, there is no coherent MAIN story

MetalMilitia89
  • MetalMilitia89

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:34 PM Edited by Militia, 13 April 2014 - 10:34 PM.

GTA IV's driving was realistic? I assume you're driving a car with the softest suspension ever made.

And with a "Club" attached to the steering wheel, preventing you from turning effectively.

club_double-hook_demo1.jpg

You're absolutely right.  However, IV + DLC's (TLaD/TBoGT) are/is my favorite game in the series, but you're right about how the car's turning mechanism is very wack.  The turn radius is so limited.  The way you described it to me a few weeks back was spot on, I can't explain it, but something is wrong with GTA IV's turning of the vehicles that almost everytime you turn you must use the E-Brake to actually turn and not bump into something.  Granted, when you use the E-Brake you will slide 50-60 feet like you're sliding on ice.  I just recently got Episodes from Liberty City and 100%'ed those two games.  So I am used to the driving mechanics in IV + DLC's now.  But when you're not used to it, it can give off a pain in the ass vibe to drive.

On the other hand, V's driving feels "too loose" for me.  You bump the joystick to the left or right and it almost turns too easily and too much.  Also if your vehicle gets bumped just a bit, you go flying and fishtailing.  In IV the physics seem to be heavier and you can bash cars out of the way quite easily without your own vehicle flying out of control.  Also in IV you can literally push vehicles unlike V how you just ran into a brick wall when trying to push a vehicle.

But lately, I am playing LCS and VCS which I just bought and 100%'ing these games now and the PS2 era games (III, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS) will always be more fun than any realism Rockstar gives for IV+DLC's and V.

• matajuegos01 likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:53 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 13 April 2014 - 10:55 PM.

@Militia
What Happens when people want TOO much fun in video games? We get a f*cked up Franchise and a perfect example is Saints Row (SR3/4)...It great the HD Era games felt more mature and Realistic than the Legendary 2D and 3D Era.
  • Official General likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Yeah I think it's the music too OP. Welcome to Los Santos, The Grip or  North Yankton memories should have been the central theme of the game, and by central theme I mean the loading screen, mission complete, pause sceen and 30 second warning music for online game modes. Currently we have loading screen music that is a random song that came out 2 years before GTAV, a variation of NYM for the pause music, WTLS as the opening game music and crickets for mission complete. It just all feels too random, even the XMB music is another song in the game's soundtrack :facedesk:

Edit: found the original loading screen song, uploaded in 2011

I agree with this, the music was all over, WTLS was decent but pretty much only used in the opening credits, Mona Lisa Smile, whilst very calming, just feels placed there for no reason. XMB music is just, what? To me, THE stand out track that occurs most in GTAV is "We Were Set Up" it has various mixes throughout the game:

Where it appears:
Spoiler

There's even a fanmade mix out there which uses all the elements in a longer way and you can tell there's plenty of moments perfect for the Pause Screen or XMB:
http://youtu.be/085eS7yK2qc
  • theNGclan likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:32 PM Edited by Official General, 13 April 2014 - 11:35 PM.

Yeah I yearned for a bit more mission variety in IV, definitely. That was one of my biggest criticisms of IV to begin with. However I later discovered that the crime-related side missions like LJ's drug deliveries, Brucie's car thefts, Police Vigilante, and Dwayne's armed back up, did a lot to provide a decent bit of variety to the game overall. And the addition of TBOGT (Drug Wars, Club Management, Cage-Fighting/Betting) and TLAD (Gang Wars) was the icing on the cake for more mission variety. So IV (with EFLC's help) overall finally vindicated it's reputation as being repetitive in my eyes.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:44 PM Edited by Tilemaxx, 13 April 2014 - 11:45 PM.

Yes they are. But i meant that GTA V is more scripted comparing to previous GTA's, because some missions require you to follow a certain pre-determined path, and if you step out of those limits then "mission failed". For example, in the Prologue sequence you are not allowed to explore North Yankton in full. If you try and leave the icy road you will automatically fail the mission. And why is that? Is there a reason to? Compare this to the introductory mission in GTA 3 or San Andreas.

Don't get me wrong, missions in GTA V were clever, super fun and varied, but that unnecessary restriction is probably my only complain in Story Mode.

• Zee, Kjaystar, matajuegos01 and 1 other like this

iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:58 PM Edited by iainspad, 13 April 2014 - 11:58 PM.

In my opinion, V is the more GTA-esque of the two. Being one who enjoyed the trilogy on the PS2 generation and PSP games, as much as some of the missions in V are menial tasks, IV does not feel like a GTA game to me all that much. It's got its quips, nods and positives in there, but it's so laid down as a serious game it's such a drastic change in the series.

People have complained that GTA has become more of a sense if realism and the series has become tied down to those ideals, but V is easily the craziest and ambitious of the two, [/b]which is what GTA should be.[/b]. I like that there's a big world to explore a la San Andreas, good weapons, good music, and great vehicle variety as well as 3 protagonists to play as what you play GTA for the most. I'm not saying IV is bad at all, I think it's a great game but it's certainly the least GTA-esque of the two as it tries so hard to be that. V has a better pace, gameplay, design and variety even when it has a weak storyline. IV's story has better emotion and moral thinking, there's little room for such things in a series so focused on crime, corruption, and senseless violence.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

In what way did it begin to feel like splinter cell, The sims or COD. I just cant see the similarities.

GTA is an action/adventure game with a criminal theme. Unfortunately, our favourite forum troll, Official General, is having an extremely difficult (purposely provoking stubbornness and bitterness) time of accepting that government corruption is a form of crime; a form of crime that happens to rack up on a more imposing and international scale. Such a delve into this welcome new direction opened up opportunities for fun and epic gameplay- as evidenced by many of the missions in V.

Official General wanted, and prematurely convinced himself that V was going to be a ghetto gangsta game with an ex bank robber getting involved, and he's so upset that the game didn't deliver his SA 2.0-esque requirements, that he feels the need to label the game a "yoga simulator", "Splinter Cell game", "non-crime GTA", etc. This is why he thinks GTA V "lost its feel" as soon as Trevor came into the scene- as at this point, Franklin and his ghetto antics took a backseat, and a more fresher narrative begun to take stage.

• Chips237, CantThinkOfOne2013, KingKock and 1 other like this

KingKock
  • KingKock

I'm a Dingus....

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

How does it not feel like GTA? You're still a criminal; you rob banks, steal cars, assassinate people, and kill a lot of cops and civilians.

Because No CJ

iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:06 AM Edited by iainspad, 14 April 2014 - 12:07 AM.

In what way did it begin to feel like splinter cell, The sims or COD. I just cant see the similarities.

GTA is an action/adventure game with a criminal theme. Unfortunately, our favourite forum troll, Official General, is having an extremely difficult (purposely provoking stubbornness and bitterness) time of accepting that government corruption is a form of crime; a form of crime that happens to rack up on a more imposing and international scale. Such a delve into this welcome new direction opened up opportunities for fun and epic gameplay- as evidenced by many of the missions in V.

Official General wanted, and prematurely convinced himself that V was going to be a ghetto gangsta game with an ex bank robber getting involved, and he's so upset that the game didn't deliver his SA 2.0-esque requirements, that he feels the need to label the game a "yoga simulator", "Splinter Cell game", "non-crime GTA", etc. This is why he thinks GTA V "lost its feel" as soon as Trevor came into the scene- as at this point, Franklin and his ghetto antics took a backseat, and a more fresher narrative begun to take stage.
I don't have a problem if they made a similar game. I would hate it if it was the exact same game.

Why anyone wants a repeat episode of a GTA game is beyond me. This is Rockstar Games, not Electronic Arts or Activision.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users