GTA V doesn't feel like a GTA?

149 replies to this topic
Brandonn96
  • Brandonn96

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Last night I decided to play some GTA IV, I realised GTA V just doesn't feel like a Grand Theft Auto game???

Is it just me?, I can't really pin point it but I think one of the obvious things that throws it off for me is the fact there isn't really a distinctive theme song for V; III, San Andreas, Vice City , IV all had those amazing theme songs, there is other things that make it feel like a different franchise to me but I'm really not sure what they are. 

yeah maybe some discussion can help me out here?

(also playing IV after V for so long made me realise how sh*t the driving mechanic was)

• GutterMouthPWG, kvic, AAR and 8 others like this

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

For a GTA game I have to say that V plays the best.  IV was fun, but the driving was a little TOO realistic.  All the cars had a squirrelly ass end and they were a bit too hard to control at speed.  I like that in V you can flip your vehicle back over and control its yaw and pitch while in the air.

From a gameplay perspective, V is the best.  They've made it challenging, but cut out all the unnecessarily frustrating bits.  For the first time, EVERY time I die, I know it's because I f*cked up at some point.

• AAR, orbitalraindrops, aqwaqwaq8 and 2 others like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:52 PM Edited by Xerukal, 13 April 2014 - 12:52 PM.

Is it just me?, I can't really pin point it but I think one of the obvious things that throws it off for me is the fact there isn't really a distinctive theme song for V; III, San Andreas, Vice City , IV all had those amazing theme songs.

There is a very distinctive theme song, though. Along with a lot of other original composed tracks. In fact, each protagonist had a different artist assigned to them. From the Newswire;

"Composers were assigned to each of the game protagonists to create their signature scores. Tangerine Dream’s Edgar Froese created De Santa’s score, Alchemist and Oh No for Clinton’s score, and [Woody] Jackson created Philips’ score. But the music heard at any point during the course of the game or on The Score disc is an amalgamation of the composers’ sounds in a true collaboration."

Spoiler

• Cuexcomate likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

I feel the same too. But, nobody cares about those great old GTA. People have changed and New Players don't give a sh*t about those Classics. It's all about Graphics, Big Maps, and Online :/ R.I.P Good Old GTA Days :/

Few Pointers: ( IMO )
1. None of the Protagonists are interesting
2. Map still has restrictions on accessing most common areas we used to easily enter on Day 1 release of EVERY GTA.
3. Same thing with Weapons, Vehicles and even few most common features missing in this most ambitious GTA.
4. For the first time, TWO separate games are equally promoted, of which Single Player is still left to get it's major update since release.
Say hello to ONLINE, and give a warm welcome to soooo many amazing gaming hours waiting for you.
5. It's a Big Map with many mountains, roads and deserts. Looks like "A Planet of the Apes" situation, if you stand on top of Mount Chiliad.
6. sh*tty Side Characters, so much cursing, sick moments. It's actually much worse in V than in the past. They could have toned down a bit with more meaningful elements.
7. Where's the Challenge? Missions fail to catch my interest in the long run. Also, many things are still rough, requires few tweaks and patching.
8. AI has improved but the cop system has got slight an upper hand that creates more annoyances than challenge.
9. Quite a few, but important things are missing from the amount of activities available after story. New Elements are a nice addition but nit fully realise. It has so much potential. They left it at basic level of tasks to complete but, as in past GTAs, it's nowhere near as engaging and fun. Example: Yoga.
I was expecting bigger tasks that requires more brains and balls, than some stupid little sissy exercise mini-game. f*ck you, whoever thought about having yoga.
10. A lot of promising updates are taking so much time that Rockstar has got no time to even talk about the progress or some satisfying updates.
  • Zee, GutterMouthPWG, visionist and 11 others like this

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

I thought the same about San Andreas, but I think it's mainly the effect of the gameplay being vastly different compared to the predecessors. SA sure didn't feel like III, which made me say the same thing. 

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Feels like a GTA to me.

• PreciousWall, LowiPL, iainspad and 2 others like this

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Personally GTA 4 didn't feel like a GTA to me, it seemed to me it was trying to step away from it's legacy, but V seemed to gave gone back to it's roots, and extra GTA style elements
  • xrk, Mister Pink, Udrift and 6 others like this

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Mélomanie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

I feel the same too. But, nobody cares about those great old GTA. People have changed and New Players don't give a sh*t about those Classics. It's all about Graphics, Big Maps, and Online :/ R.I.P Good Old GTA Days :/

2. Map still has restrictions on accessing most common areas we used to easily enter on Day 1 release of EVERY GTA.
3. Same thing with Weapons, Vehicles and even few most common features missing in this most ambitious GTA.
4. For the first time, TWO separate games are equally promoted, of which Single Player is still left to get it's major update since release.
Say hello to ONLINE, and give a warm welcome to soooo many amazing gaming hours waiting for you.
5. It's a Big Map with many mountains, roads and deserts. Looks like "A Planet of the Apes" situation, if you stand on top of Mount Chiliad.
6. sh*tty Side Characters, so much cursing, sick moments. It's actually much worse in V than in the past. They could have toned down a bit with more meaningful elements.
7. Where's the Challenge? Missions fail to catch my interest in the long run. Also, many things are still rough, requires few tweaks and patching.
8. AI has improved but the cop system has got slight an upper hand that creates more annoyances than challenge.
9. Quite a few, but important things are missing from the amount of activities available after story. New Elements are a nice addition but nit fully realise. It has so much potential. They left it at basic level of tasks to complete but, as in past GTAs, it's nowhere near as engaging and fun. Example: Yoga.
I was expecting bigger tasks that requires more brains and balls, than some stupid little sissy exercise mini-game. f*ck you, whoever thought about having yoga.
10. A lot of promising updates are taking so much time that Rockstar has got no time to even talk about the progress or some satisfying updates.

Can you take off your nostalgia goggles for two seconds and give the credit that GTA V deserves? Sure, the story is sub-par compared to it's predecessor, and the characters aren't really flushed out as they should have been but it's still a solid addition to the series. With an expanding online component that's being updated every month, and future major DLC's being announced for both SP and MP, I fail to see why people are bitching.

And for the love of God, can someone explain to me what a "real GTA game" feels like? Because to me, a GTA game includes the fundamentals of being a criminal, the "rags to riches" trope if you will and last time I checked, GTA V includes all that.

• Mr.Scratch and WhatsStrength like this

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

GTA IV's driving was realistic? I assume you're driving a car with the softest suspension ever made.

• DeafMetal, darkwar854, fac316 and 5 others like this

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:06 PM Edited by DaWiesel, 13 April 2014 - 02:07 PM.

That's a good thing if you think it's not like a GTA game. Means they had the balls to do changes. At least it's not just another GTA game... 

• iainspad likes this

thivakar
  • thivakar

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

I felt this too. I think its because we never really get into any of 3 characters. Think about it, before you have GTA games with 100+ missions for 1 character, now you have half of that for 3 characters. It doesn't feel like the dangerous world of GTA, it feels too safe and more of like SIMS game.

• im_stoned and TheticalFlyer97 like this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

@ Fallcreek ( avoiding long quote )

What do you mean by nostalgia?
I see many players instantly put me into the category of having so-called nostalgia glasses ON.
I have literally invested over 12 years into the series and you are asking me to ignore them and appreciate GTA V.

Sure, it has sub-par story,
Sure, characters aren't flushed out,
Surr, This ... Sure That... But, still it's a solid Addition.

Then, what's left? ONLINE?
It's really sad situation, when I've to explain what a real GTA means.
  • sqre, AAR, Militia and 2 others like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

I actually thought V had much better songs than IV.

• Mr.Scratch likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Talking about songs, I loved the West Coast Radio Station. It had some of the best classic hip hop tracks of all time. But I feel they could have put more in it.

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Mélomanie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:06 PM Edited by Fallcreek, 13 April 2014 - 03:13 PM.

@ Fallcreek ( avoiding long quote )

What do you mean by nostalgia?
I see many players instantly put me into the category of having so-called nostalgia glasses ON.
I have literally invested over 12 years into the series and you are asking me to ignore them and appreciate GTA V.

Sure, it has sub-par story,
Sure, characters aren't flushed out,
Surr, This ... Sure That... But, still it's a solid Addition.

Then, what's left? ONLINE?
It's really sad situation, when I've to explain what a real GTA means.

I don't remember saying that you should just throw away those 12 years, that's the not point I was trying to make. The point is that you're seeing GTA V in a negative twilight just for the sake of not liking it because it's not like the past GTA games. I mean, look at your points! You say the characters aren't interesting, but I fail to see why they aren't interesting. Case in point, Lamar or Trevor. You say the map has restrictions, but again.. I don't understand. What restrictions? The map is open to the player from the start. There's no invisible barriers stopping you from going to Paleto Bay, so what are you talking about? The interiors? You can't deny that GTA:O isn't that bad either.

This game is a technological advancement for these 7+ old systems that we're currently playing them on. Each character have their own unique scores/animations, the A.I's been greatly improved from IV, the draw distance is f*cking amazing, the physics have been tweaked from IV to make it more streamlined for the better (or worse) and the graphics alone just make my jaw drop, from the sunrises to the sunsets. GTA V literally pushes these consoles to it's limits. It didn't win a BAFTA award for no reason.

Also, that's a cop-out answer. You know damn well that GTA, at it's core is a criminal's playground. GTA V expresses all those traits that the older GTA games had, it's just updated to cater to the mainstream crowd. It's polished with a certain finesse.

xenorama
  • xenorama

Go Commando!

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

GTA IV's driving was realistic? I assume you're driving a car with the softest suspension ever made.

And with a "Club" attached to the steering wheel, preventing you from turning effectively.

club_double-hook_demo1.jpg

• Jeone and Militia like this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

This.

Looking back to prior to playing V, I was a die hard IV driving physics fan. Loved it. And even though there's just a couple minor tweaks I miss from IV in V, overall V blows IV away in driving physics.

Between the lag in accelerating in IV, the super slippery tires spinning out all the time, the pathetic braking power that requires 100 ft to stop a 30 mph vehicle.

IV is bad. Period.
  • Zee, visionist, DeafMetal and 2 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Last night I decided to play some GTA IV, I realised GTA V just doesn't feel like a Grand Theft Auto game???

Is it just me?, I can't really pin point it but I think one of the obvious things that throws it off for me is the fact there isn't really a distinctive theme song for V; III, San Andreas, Vice City , IV all had those amazing theme songs, there is other things that make it feel like a different franchise to me but I'm really not sure what they are. 

yeah maybe some discussion can help me out here?

(also playing IV after V for so long made me realise how sh*t the driving mechanic was)

GTA felt like GTA to begin with. Once Trevor came to Los Santos and the FIB/Merryweather crap started, the game felt very different for me from there onward. It began to feel like a cross between The Sims, Splinter Cell, and maybe a bit of COD.

• sqre and TheticalFlyer97 like this

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

3hVLsI.gif

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

In what way did it begin to feel like splinter cell, The sims or COD. I just cant see the similarities.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:47 PM Edited by Mr Scratch, 13 April 2014 - 03:49 PM.

3hVLsI.gif

This, if they at least gave us lowriders then I'd be f*cking content with V.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

@ Fallcreek

GTA V has great looks, many features and a lot of ONLINE extras with NEW additions to justify the price.
But, when you compare it with previous games, they do lack the polish, looks and big production values, but it still provides the same "player satisfaction" and even more by giving the best gta experience, for that time, with available technology and resources, that's still fun to play.

But, why am I so crazy about them?

It's because of the memorable Characters, brought to life by equally amazing story, not an oscar winning one, yet perfect enough to serve usefulness in the missions, and entertainment factor throughout, to enjoy the game and have fun with silly charm and sharp writing, and so much more.

For the most part, GTA V have characters either with total offensive writing thrown in their situation, or simply casual at best.
The style of gameplay that complements the story is also too linear, because you can't switch characters freely, except very few times, or after the story.
Now, I'm not a writer by profession nor qualify to review it, but neither any one needs to be to have the common sense for understanding the quality and pace of the story with missions is so terrific to play as Tommy Vercetti in GTA VC, compared to the cocktail of three monkeys that give me the impression of a big budget flop movie with commercial tag to it and no soul.
  • sqre, Militia and matajuegos01 like this

Brandonn96
  • Brandonn96

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

"GTA felt like GTA to begin with. Once Trevor came to Los Santos and the FIB/Merryweather crap started, the game felt very different for me from there onward. It began to feel like a cross between The Sims, Splinter Cell, and maybe a bit of COD."

I do agree there is definitely a point in GTA V where it ceases to be a coherent story , think about it CJ, Tommy Vercetti , Niko , Jonny K  all the protagonists in every GTA have a clear enemy throughout and that is payed off in the end when you eventually get to deal with them , to me it felt like at a certain point in V it stopped having coherency in its themes.

I should also point out I'm not saying V is better or worse than any other GTA , merely that it feels like a departure in many ways from the formulas of the others, whether thats bad or good is up for debate I guess

• AAR, Official General, Woll Smoth and 1 other like this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:57 PM Edited by Official General, 13 April 2014 - 09:19 PM.

In what way did it begin to feel like splinter cell, The sims or COD. I just cant see the similarities.

That whole family thing was just not what I thought it was gonna be, it felt like cheaply made, corny-ass American family sitcom stuff. All those FIB/Merryweather missions made me feel like I was some Navy Seal or Marine flying aircraft, operating military vehicles, doing spectacular stunts, escapes, blowing sh*t up and sabotaging stuff etc. The COD feel came with the stupid war on terror missions that the FIB were getting us to do, like the underwater missions, sniping people and using rocket launchers on the bridge. Too much of it veered away from that typical GTA feel. 

Just my personal opinion.

@ Brandonn96

Sorry, I will go one further than you and say it's the worst GTA since III. That's just my conclusion as it stands now. This game was quite a letdown for me.

• Woll Smoth and hijwel like this

Brandonn96
  • Brandonn96

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:59 PM Edited by Brandonn96, 13 April 2014 - 04:00 PM.

The characters were definitely a bit off in V , Seeing as TBOGT is the last GTA I played before V I can remember that each character was sharply written , you immediately care/like these cats , in V it was kind of like a lot of the characters were a bit bland ??

Also (this might be an unpopular opinion) but I legit prefer the feel of the gun mechanics in GTA IV

thc_404
  • thc_404

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

That's a good thing if you think it's not like a GTA game. Means they had the balls to do changes. At least it's not just another GTA game... 

Yeah, because CLEARLY we've been oversaturated by GTA games. Just like assassin's creed, CoD and the like...

/facepalm

• visionist likes this

Brandonn96
  • Brandonn96

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:15 PM Edited by Brandonn96, 13 April 2014 - 04:17 PM.

That whole family thing was just not what I thought it was gonna be, it felt like cheaply made, corny-ass American family sitcom stuff. All those FIB/Merryweather missions made me feel like I was some Navy Seal or Marine flying aircraft, operating military vehicles, doing spectacular stunts, escapes, blowing sh*t up and sabotaging stuff etc. The COD feel came with the stupid war on terror missions that the FIB were getting us to do, like the underwater missions, sniping people and using rocket launchers on the bridge. 

Just my personal opinion.

@ Brandonn96

Sorry, I will go one further than you and say it's the worst GTA since III. That's just my conclusion as it stands now. This game was quite a letdown for me.

Wow!, I really didn't think it was that bad , I agree it was a let down from all the hype but from a gameplay standpoint I'd say its solid, story wise, its definitely one of the weakest , I'd say worst was III , V ,then 3rd worst TLAD

The worst part for me is that they had some really good elements in the story but THAT ending was absolutely inexcusable, terribly written, terribly paced, terribly handled , it legitimately felt like the end of a Indie title with no budget (talking about V's end btw)

kingkock666
  • kingkock666

I'm a Dingus....

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:33 PM Edited by kingkock666, 13 April 2014 - 04:34 PM.

Actually you are wrong.....Everybody cares about the old GTA, due to the fact that there are TONS of people out there that are complaining about the "New GTA" like you.....

OT: Every new GTA has played differently since SA....And really, I like the change...It feels better then having the "same game" copied and pasted OVER AND OVER.....I feel like IV broke that chain, because every game after III felt the same.......

• WhatsStrength, iainspad and hijwel like this

LowiPL
  • LowiPL

Street Cat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Its not feeling like a GTA, its feeling like a best game ever.

Chips237
  • Chips237

Ruining your lives since 1637

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Playing The Sims lately?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users