Saints Row 5

438 replies to this topic
CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Is saints row 4 good, 2 was my favourite and I didn't like 3 at all. but sr4 looks pretty fun, is it worth buying.

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Is saints row 4 good, 2 was my favourite and I didn't like 3 at all. but sr4 looks pretty fun, is it worth buying.

Yes, if you can handle over-the-top mayhem and aren't looking for a deep and serious story. 

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

I regret buying it. Its good but IMO its not worth it. I'd rent it or borrow it from a friend if I was you. (or if you see it going quite cheap, buy it)

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Happy 1st Birthday GTA V

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:46 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 14 April 2014 - 01:48 PM.

I regret buying it. Its good but IMO its not worth it. I'd rent it or borrow it from a friend if I was you. (or if you see it going quite cheap, buy it)
Lol thank God i didnt buy that POS cus i regret wasting 60 on SR3 back then (and that i said will be my last time with the f*cked Up Fanchise).

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

SR4 was better than 3 but really only for the fanservice. Gameplay ripped straight from Crackdown makes stuff like vehicles useless, and Steelport is still as sh*tty as it was in 3.
  • Daz likes this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

Why do people want the series to be a GTA Clone again? why take away the very thing that makes it unique? If you want a game that play just like GTA, why not just play GTA?

• Revenge of the Donut likes this

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

It's it's own good game. I just think it was vastly superior when it was a GTA Clone. I don't want it to be a GTA Clone for the sake of being a GTA Clone, I want it so go back to when the game was actually good.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

Why do people want the series to be a GTA Clone again? why take away the very thing that makes it unique? If you want a game that play just like GTA, why not just play GTA?

The thing that makes Saint's Row unique is it's gameplay over realism attitude towards gameplay and design, not the fact it is a stupid over the top parody game which it has become.

It might have borrowed a lot of features from san andreas and only outsiders consider it a clone, but regardless, it did many things better that GTA failed to do. It kept that fun factor and a don't give a f*ck attitude towards anything except making a fun game.

I feel they took their critic's views as their own persona and created almost a parody of itself which has now gotten out of hand.

Fun is one thing but having the entire game just become a giant clown car full of jokes and fakery really numbs the experience.

GTA still hasn't caught up to the full story co-op feature and I doubt it ever will at this point. That is something Saint's Row always has over GTA games and why I cant compare the two in any way.

• Bonnano, Woll Smoth and Revenge of the Donut like this

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Sr really lost it for me after SR2. It just became too zany in 3.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

They should be hiring me to plan the next game because this idea would make SR epic again.

- Scrap everything that happened after the first mission of SR3. The game starts just before the bank robbery, it plays out like usual, they get arrested etc.

They still go on the plane, same thing happens but Johnny doesn't die. He flies the plane back to Stilwater, and the player is in Steelport.

We're in Steelport, but we have different gangs. The Deckers would be there, but less futuristic. They'd still have neon blue cars, bikes and swords. We'd take him out in his simulation, and from then on, be able to enter Matt's simulation, and do crazy stuff there, e.g a few SR4 activities which can easily be copy/pasted.

The other two gangs could be a properly done Mafia gang, and an American biker gang.

The news reports on the bank heist, and reports the Boss as dead, along with Gat and Shaundi.

Dex sees the report, and returns to Stilwater to continue his city expansion. He rebuilds the bridge connecting Stilwater and Steelport, so the Saints return.

While we were out, all the SR1 and SR2 gangs have built themselves up again, and Ultor has added more to the city (like in SR1 to SR2)

From here, Stilwater is pretty much split into two. One side is run down by the new gangs, and there's pretty much no control over it.

The other side, is Ultor's expansion. Heavily guarded, penthouses, with some fancy road systems.

When the Saints return, we take back Purgatory, and throughout the story it has more additions. It's fenced off with a main gate, a nice outdoor area with strippers, cars and music etc.

And in Stilwater, it's pretty much moving through the lower-class gangs, until reaching the rich side of Stilwater and taking out Dex.

All that badassery and all they need to do is build a bridge, a small amount of city to add to Stilwater, and then copy-paste things from SR1-4 that people liked and add them to their respective locations (Matt's Simulation, real-world Stilwater or Steelport etc.)
  • Woll Smoth likes this

Thr33X
  • Thr33X

PAYLOAD Ringleader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

I suppose I'm the only one who liked SR3 and 4? Funny thing is that when SR1 and 2 were out, people bitched about how it was too much of a GTA clone. So they veer off to the left and make their game completely different and now all of a sudden it's crap? Goes to show how fickle the IGC is.

Anyway...

If Jay Mohr is doing voicework, one can assume that he's reprising Vogel, which could mean that it's maybe a reboot, or maybe a prequel or whatvever, but the certainty is that there probably wont be any aliens involved. All I'm asking for is that they bring the band back together. I hope they bring all the old characters back in.

SFPD officer
  • SFPD officer

What do I look like I'm made of? Pudding?

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

@Thr33X

I liked TT and IV too. The problem is that SR 2 is one of the best games this generation, while TT and IV are "just" really good games, but with enormous unfullfilled potential and some rather mindboggling cutbacks (especially TT).

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

I suppose I'm the only one who liked SR3 and 4? Funny thing is that when SR1 and 2 were out, people bitched about how it was too much of a GTA clone. So they veer off to the left and make their game completely different and now all of a sudden it's crap? Goes to show how fickle the IGC is.

Anyway...

If Jay Mohr is doing voicework, one can assume that he's reprising Vogel, which could mean that it's maybe a reboot, or maybe a prequel or whatvever, but the certainty is that there probably wont be any aliens involved. All I'm asking for is that they bring the band back together. I hope they bring all the old characters back in.

Or it will be about time-travel, as the secret ending teased.

Ray Margarita
  • Ray Margarita

Mr. Money In The Bank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:59 AM

Time traveling, really? That's just way too far. Having aliens was already too over the top, and now they're going to introduce time traveling? I wish Saints Row would go back back to it's roots and be about gangs again.

gtarelatedusername2
  • gtarelatedusername2

Demanufacture

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

If they went back to their roots, then you'd have just as many people saying they were taking a step backward.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

I got saints row 4 today and I played it for a while, its my favourite saints row game and I even like it better than gta 5, its a lot more fun and I hope SR5 doesn't go back to how the old games were.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:52 AM Edited by ll rdny ll, 17 April 2014 - 09:56 AM.

I love that all the people criticizing SRIV's story, probably haven't played the game.

Story quality in IV is better than every other story in the franchise. The only thing is that it disguised the story with fart jokes, super powers, and aliens.

Saints Row V should continue the story arc that IV introduced. Get over yourselves, thinking that Time Travel, Aliens, and Simulations are too over the top, too unrealistic, or too childish. What SR has become is a breathe of fresh air when compared to the constant rehashes we have to deal with from every other game company.

Volition has managed to do something no other Dev is able to do anymore, produce a different product each time around. While keeping the game enjoyable.
  • WildBrick142, NightSpectre and Revenge of the Donut like this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

I love that all the people criticizing SRIV's story, probably haven't played the game.

Story quality in IV is better than every other story in the franchise. The only thing is that it disguised the story with fart jokes, super powers, and aliens.

Saints Row V should continue the story arc that IV introduced. Get over yourselves, thinking that Time Travel, Aliens, and Simulations are too over the top, too unrealistic, or too childish. What SR has become is a breathe of fresh air when compared to the constant rehashes we have to deal with from every other game company.

Volition has managed to do something no other Dev is able to do anymore, produce a different product each time around. While keeping the game enjoyable.

Yeah as I've said before, you need to actually to play the damn game if you want to have any credibility in judging it.

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Well I played the game twice and didn't like the story.

Granted I'll say it was much better than SR3, but didn't hit me like the ones in SR and SR2.

Second don't tell anyone to get over themselves with what they don't like about the series. Time rravel, aliens, and simulations are OTT for THIS GAME. I wouldn't have a prboelm with SR4 if thats how the series started (gangs for the first 3 games to aliens in the 4th). It's like me watching the first 3 seasons of Bleach then the 4th season of Bleach is Family Guy. If they wanted to do all that stuff why not make a new ip or make it a side game like Far Cry Blood Dragon.

Don't get me started on how disappointing the game world is. Maybe I wouldn't have such a problem with SR3 and SR4 if they at least kept (arguably one of the greatest open world game city) the detailed world like Stilwater, but nope you recieved the copy and paste Steelport (twice).

I'm hoping the next SR game will at least bring the detailed environment and customization that was in SR2.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

You've gotta be kidding....4's story is a joke. Really not that much better than 3 and it's only due to fanservice. It is not original in any way whatsoever. Taking Mass Effect 2 as a template, they stuffed near everything from the other games into the story, with the excuse that it was a simulation, all for the sake of nostalgia. Nostalgia does not equate better storytelling. The one hope I had was that Zinyak would be a better villain than how incredibly sh*tty Killbane was, but it was negated by Zinyak barely having any involvement at all between beginning and end. 3 got rid of the superior open mission structure but at least the story progression was still a bit complex - much more than could be said for 4.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

The thing that makes Saint's Row unique is it's gameplay over realism attitude towards gameplay and design, not the fact it is a stupid over the top parody game which it has become.

It might have borrowed a lot of features from san andreas and only outsiders consider it a clone, but regardless, it did many things better that GTA failed to do. It kept that fun factor and a don't give a f*ck attitude towards anything except making a fun game.

I feel they took their critic's views as their own persona and created almost a parody of itself which has now gotten out of hand.

Fun is one thing but having the entire game just become a giant clown car full of jokes and fakery really numbs the experience.

GTA still hasn't caught up to the full story co-op feature and I doubt it ever will at this point. That is something Saint's Row always has over GTA games and why I cant compare the two in any way.

Still believe Saints Row to be one of the worst games to exist. Zero humor, only relies on potty humor (whilst GTA knows how to wrap it up in most cases in this great parody of American culture/identity/...).

Never liked the gameplay, never liked their 'humor' (which I found non existant). Their 'gameplay above story/realism' has always failed in my opinion. So much sh*t to do, all this sh*t is boring as tits and if it would give you a chuckle it's only the first time you do it/first minute or so you are playing it.

Saints Row never had the same impact as a GTA game in my opinion. Never felt immersive, never felt brutal... leaving so much options open to 'grab a pedestrian and throw him away' or 'to streak over the street nude with pixelated private parts'... I never got the joke or never could get a laugh out of it.

I also always had this vision of average GTA fans being young adults/adults who wanted to play a cool, fun and enjoyable game and 'because it's f*cking GTA' (they know it delivers/been playing it for X ammount of years since game X from the franchise).

Whilst with Saints Row I always had the idea of it being pissed off 12 year olds that find 'GTA' too restrictive/lame and want more 'freedom'. And that laugh at every time they can 'kick a pedestrian in the balls' or some sh*t.

No offense to anyone tho. In the end everyone just plays what they love. But I'd rather see this franchise gone and have other types of games flourish. Like a decent f*cking Mafia game...

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

“Scientific Progress goes boink?”

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:11 PM Edited by SingularSoul, 17 April 2014 - 02:15 PM.

SR4 COULD have been good.....

It just felt half-assed, to be honest. If they put the same amount of effort as R* do into their games (detailed environments, variety, clever writing, replay ability etc) they'd be right up there. 

I personally am not a fan of the over-the-top-style of game, however I would play a well-made one on occasion. The problem with the last 2 saints Row installments is that they don't even do THAT very well.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

While it's good to hear we may get more than (or something other than) Steelport, going with the time travel thing and just going to Stilwater and Steelport at different points in history/the future just sounds like another way to recycle the same old cities again.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

Time travel might not be bad.

Futuristic stuff, Saints Row 1-2 stuff, maybe even western/pirates etc. stuff in one game.

I doubt that would happen though. Sounds like "effort", a bit of a foreign concept for Volition lately.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Saints Row 3 and 4 were the best of the series, when it stopped being a San Andreas clone with better graphics, and the writing improved a bit.  However, you could see that 4 was a rush job, even though the superpowers still made the game fresh.  I hope they do something with the time travel hinted at in the secret ending, though it'd be hard to see how they can do that and keep it open world.  At the very least, they need a new city and have more story missions instead of "here's a cutscene, now do some more side missions".

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Happy 1st Birthday GTA V

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Here is a Video about the History of Saints Row (2006-2013) and also you can notice how the franchise when from gangster to Aliens (lol):

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Haters gon' hate

gLtcyHf.gif

Loved the pimp cane in SR and SR2.

• Banana and Revenge of the Donut like this

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Happy 1st Birthday GTA V

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Haters gon' hate
gLtcyHf.gif

Loved the pimp cane in SR and SR2.

Lol those were the good times bro ;)
  • MadMugen likes this

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:02 PM Edited by Lil Jacob 27, 17 April 2014 - 10:06 PM.

I miss SR2. I made a male character that looked like tupac and a female character that looked like megan fox.

SR3 ruined the series, IV was much better that SR3 but it didn't come close to SR2. I hope volition makes sr5 simillar to sr2. Give us the mafia, latin american gangs, triads and less zombies and Aliens.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Happy 1st Birthday GTA V

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:55 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 18 April 2014 - 01:25 AM.

Damn Imagine Rockstar buying the Saints Row IP,lol they will definitely reboot the POS that it is now and maybe turn (rebrand) it as a spin-off franchise to GTA and infact make it focus soo much than ever before on Gangs...SA (2004) and TLAD (2009) are both in the GTA family and gang-themed games and we all know that both installments are great and put the SR franchise in Shame (after the 2nd game) infact kiefer Sutter liked TLAD SO much he wanted R* to help him make a SoA game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users