39 replies to this topic
Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:19 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 14 April 2014 - 08:21 AM.

I'm playing through my third round at Fallout 3 now. It's so enjoyable. I'm one of those that really enjoyed it but I know it's mostly down to me not being able to compare it to many other RPGs as it was my first. I've read all the criticism it gets but really that doesn't bother me. I kind of compare it ti my experience of others playing GTA IV.  I really got immersed in the whole game. I laughed and got spooked, made some crazy decisions, chatted to some whacky characters, learned some local history, blown the heads of some mutants and discovered and explored some creepy areas. Love the game. :)

Most gamers, I know in real life, thought it was an amazing game despite was some people will tell you.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:07 AM Edited by Tycek, 14 April 2014 - 09:08 AM.

FO3 was not bad game per se, just terribly overrated. It's not bad as open world shooter with RPG elements, but extremely weak as RPG and terrible as Fallout. Since Bethesda showed their lack of understanding and respect for previous Fallout games and their fans, they should free themselves from burden of the lore and make completely fresh post apocalyptic game. Just look at Rage, which is so close that could work as Fallout action spin-off, but at the same time nobody moans it's not the game it should be. Borderlands is another good example.

Since Beth bought licences they should make worthy game not some half-assed attempt to plaster the name Fallout on it and count on the hungry fans waiting since '98. Obsidian on the other hand, since they got a lot of previous parts developers made really good next part. They still had to fight with broken engine and mess Beth thrown at them, but their attempt was good enough to bear Fallout name. Is that so hard just to try? I really hope Beth will learn something with IV, but I don't count on it. 

• Mister Pink and a20characterusername like this

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:41 AM Edited by Lazyboy., 14 April 2014 - 09:42 AM.

GTA and Fallout began the same year (both in 1997) but 17 years later,GTA has 15 games and Fallout only has 4 games i think that weird and the devs just ignores the IP (but maybe i am wrong).

How in any way is this relevant?

I don't doubt that there are some things that Fallout needs, but conversations are one of its main parts and they can't simply be cut out. In older games we got only the walls of text with rarely appearing talking head, so it's still progress. Sure, they could be more dynamic, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still RPG game.

Also who should include these changes, because Bethesda didn't do any favours to the series? Boring dialogue screens is part of their job.

No, no no, keep the dialogue, just make sure it's balanced with the rest of the game.

If people want to spend your Fallout gameplay surrendering to the enemy and talking things out, that's fine, but don't base the entire game on that concept. Talking things out is something nice if the enemy is too hard, but not the entire damn game over and over and over.

You do realize you can kill every living thing you see right? Have you still not figured this out?

Can you not read? It's been stated multiple times before. I'll put it in nice big capital letters for you.

THE PROBLEM WITH NEW VEGAS IS THAT THERE ISN'T MUCH TO SHOOT. THERE ARE BARELY ANY ROADSIDE CAMPS WITH FIENDS, OR RANDOM EVENTS WITH ENEMIES, OR COMBAT-BASED SIDE ACTIVITIES.

Let me know if you need me to write it any bigger. I understand that blind New Vegas fanboys can get easily confused at times.
  • Daz and a20characterusername like this

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

You still haven't figured out you can kill anyone in the NCR or anyone in New Vegas at anytime? 

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

GTA and Fallout began the same year (both in 1997) but 17 years later,GTA has 15 games and Fallout only has 4 games i think that weird and the devs just ignores the IP (but maybe i am wrong).

AUAEEGBEFGUBGBUGBUABAWBIWBIAWF

My thoughts exactly.

What is with you and trying to compare every game to GTA, Blood-Is-in-Diamond? Fallout has nothing to do with GTA. Stop trying to work GTA into everything.

• Daz likes this

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

You still haven't figured out you can kill anyone in the NCR or anyone in New Vegas at anytime?

And then what? You've got an empty strip/NCR, and then that's it. There's no long-lasting combat that has meaning to it.
  • Daz likes this

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Lazy, I thought an RPG game by definition isn't about shooting...

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:39 PM Edited by Voodoo, 14 April 2014 - 02:45 PM.

The Fallout series is about shooting just as much as it is about the story. It's an action/RPG.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Capital Wasteland in FO3 felt way more alive and random than the Mojave. From the very beginning, you could strike out in any directon and find some trouble or a quest to get into. It felt more like you were free to make your own path. FNV is much more linear in that it cheaply forces you to take the suggested backwards "J" shaped route to the strip. It does this by strategically placing the enemies along the way in proportionally increasing strength relative to where the dev wants you to be level-wise when you encounter them.

The game has little fun value after the story is finished since the same enemies all spawn in the same areas over and over. You'll never see a deathclaw in the south of the map or a random cazador or faction wandering anywhere. It gets stale really fast. I loved them both and played the ever living sh*t out of them but FO3 wins for fun and randomness in the environment.

• Daz and lazy. like this

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:38 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 14 April 2014 - 02:40 PM.

Lazy, I thought an RPG game by definition isn't about shooting...

An RPG game that waves all these guns around your face and lets you use them pretty much never?

That's pretty poor game design. It's honestly a waste of development time.

Have you ever actually used, say, the Assault Carbine or Light Machine gun?

No, because once you've got enough caps for it, or enough ammo to use it properly, you've most likely killed every enemy in the game long before then.

In Fallout 3 you could head outside, walk into a random old factory, shoot a bunch of enemies and leave with some (albeit useless) loot. That's still better than listening to boring-ass life stories and selecting dialogue options for the whole damn game, waiting for the one moment you'll be able to use your new Anti Materiel Rifle, and being disappointed the only kill you got with it was one Cazadore (which is a lame enemy anyway) that you found in the Mojave.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:26 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 14 April 2014 - 10:27 PM.

The random encounters made the CW feel much more alive than the Mojave. Obviously there are many, MANY mods to rectify this, but console owners are pretty much SOL when it comes to that sort of thing. That said, random enounteres and spawn points are what made Fallout 3 a pain (not difficult, just annoying) at high levels, since you'd have Deathclaws spawning right next to Megaton and whatnot-- you didn't have to deal with that in New Vegas, for better or worse.

I wish Bethesda would concentrate on east coast Fallout, and develop new factions and storylines while Obsidian stays in the southwest, although after the metacritic incident, that's probably not going to happen.

Also, Three Dog's voice actor made another cryptic post the other day...too bad I already threw away my ticket for the hype train. ;/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users