Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do any characters/plot/events of this game get any mention in GTA V?

23 replies to this topic
DCBlackbird
  • DCBlackbird

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:35 AM

I'm sort of on a GTA CW easter egg hunt so far the only thing are police records. I can't help but feel R* made this into a standalone game without attempting to place it somewhere in their HD universe. Sure it fits with the location and timeline but it feels as if they're purposely keeping it away from their juicy GTA IV, and GTA V plotlines.

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

There isn't any reference to CTW in V, as far as I know.

pajkosinjo
  • pajkosinjo

Get Down Saturday Night

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

They could've put the Dragon Vagon in GTA V.

You could wear dragon masks and do a heist.

And get away in the van.

ssbawesome
  • ssbawesome

Tromboning

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

It would be hard to have a 2D (2.5D?) character appear in a fully 3D game, much more so if the character was "cartoony". Since characters don't appear, there really wouldn't need to be a reference to CTW. Also, nothing big really occurred in CTW that would need mentioning.

RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

The freaks come out at night..

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

it's strange because Kenny and possibly a few others were in the police database of GTA IV(one year before GTA CTW), were they making CTW in 2008 already or something? or did they have an idea with the names?

pajkosinjo
  • pajkosinjo

Get Down Saturday Night

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

it's strange because Kenny and possibly a few others were in the police database of GTA IV(one year before GTA CTW), were they making CTW in 2008 already or something? or did they have an idea with the names?

Maybe R* already was developing CW when GTA IV was out.

Kelt1993
  • Kelt1993

UNMC President

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Ill have to double check but im sure theres a random event out on the highway of a drug deal gone wrong and a load of people dead with 1 guy about to die that is some sort of easter egg for this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Didn't seem like it. Tao Cheng reminded me a little bit of Chan Jaoming though.

Also, nothing big really occurred in CTW that would need mentioning.

A huge power struggle and re-organization of the Triads, and the destruction of the Meadows Park fountain weren't "big?" :p

I think the real problem is that rockstar couldn't expect people to get the references. The game definitely didn't sell as well as IV. There are tens of thousands of people on this fan forum that haven't played CTW I bet.

aquahaze2
  • aquahaze2

Lost Grove Mafia leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

well there were some pretty big events, lost mc was proven to still have a presence as well as AOD, the triads were completely overhauled, the drug game in liberty is now a monopoly under hung lee, and the bank of liberty was robbed....again 

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

Huang Lee will be DLC protag. Watch. :)

Khan96
  • Khan96

Mafia Never Forgets

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

Not only Kenny. Huang Lee were also in the police database in GTA4.

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

Only mentioned in IV. Not V.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

I heard through the grapevine that Huang Lee was driving the car in the cutscene of "Bury the Hatchet" after Michael arrives at the airport, but there isn't really anything to confirm it.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:54 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 25 June 2014 - 06:54 PM.

I'm quite surprised considering the presence of triads in GTA V, though they're Los Santos based and probably have a really loose connection to the ones in Liberty City.

It is true that Chinatown Wars takes place in the HD Universe timeline, as confirmed by CW characters on the LCPD database in GTA IV. I just don't think any of those characters appear physically in IV or V because of the art style that they possessed.

Octavio89
  • Octavio89

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

chinatown wars = non canon

just like gta advance

CasualSergiu
  • CasualSergiu

Cliché

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:09 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 28 June 2014 - 12:17 PM.

just like gta advance

It's very canon, a full member of the HD universe actually. Plays a major role yet never referenced, wanna know why?
There's almost no connection in IV and/or V with the LC Triads. They're pretty much out of the game's action(s). Well, only in TBoGT we see them ONCE. They, basically, have no reason to appear since the whole circle they're in is, actually, a whole different one. They're not in a business circle with the Russians and Italians.

Off-topic: GTA Advance is actually canon too, fact, it reveals why 8Ball had his hands messed up and how he got sentenced to prison in III. Don't say bullsh*t unless you know you're 100% right.

• lol232 likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Pot calling the kettle black. GTA: Advance breaks the canon as it states totally different reason for 8-ball hands being messed up (Hot oil/Flamethrower). 

CasualSergiu
  • CasualSergiu

Cliché

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:08 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 28 June 2014 - 04:20 PM.

Pot calling the kettle black. GTA: Advance breaks the canon as it states totally different reason for 8-ball hands being messed up (Hot oil/Flamethrower). 

Indeed, same as LCS did. Both Grand Theft Auto LCS and A broke some things in the timeline/canon event(s).
Yet, they're both canon, so, developer fault and/or weird decision. Still, they're both canon. I don't see your point.

Considering I've got my info right on this matter, it isn't really a 'pot calling the kettle black' situation. Still, that could be your opinion, if that's the case, sure, alright. While I agree, to an extent, GTA A being ignored by both GTA LCS and III, it is commonly accepted as canon due to it featuring some elements from III such as characters and explaining a few of the things before the main game, III.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:02 AM Edited by Joe Chip, 04 July 2014 - 06:12 AM.

It's very canon, a full member of the HD universe actually. Plays a major role yet never referenced, wanna know why?

There's almost no connection in IV and/or V with the LC Triads. They're pretty much out of the game's action(s). Well, only in TBoGT we see them ONCE. They, basically, have no reason to appear since the whole circle they're in is, actually, a whole different one. They're not in a business circle with the Russians and Italians.

Just one, actually. They had attempted to transport the truckload of heroin towards the end of the game. It was a Phil Bell mission iirc. Of course the people we saw in Chinatown Wars were higher-up in the organization, so they wouldn't have been sent to move a truck full of drugs, and Huang wasn't around yet, and couldn't have been in Alderney anyway.

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

just like gta advance

Off-topic: GTA Advance is actually canon too, fact, it reveals why 8Ball had his hands messed up and how he got sentenced to prison in III. Don't say bullsh*t unless you know you're 100% right.

Just wanted to point out that the happenings behind 8Ball's injury were revealed when GTA III was out. It is on the Liberty Tree teaser site. 

http://www.rockstarg...om/libertytree/

Also it is not canon... the story of Advance was terribly half-assed, and Rockstar Games isn't really referencing to it as a part of the series.

DaltonWilliams123
  • DaltonWilliams123

Welsh Wheelman

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

I honestly think that CTW was just made to stop Nintendo fans from moaning about not having an open world GTA game. Then when they did release it, they released it for DS and PSP then iOS moaned.

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

No, it does not. Probably because thos game's story is the epitome of a rushed afterthought.

CasualSergiu
  • CasualSergiu

Cliché

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:17 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 12 July 2014 - 11:35 PM.

just like gta advance

Just wanted to point out that the happenings behind 8Ball's injury were revealed when GTA III was out. It is on the Liberty Tree teaser site. 

http://www.rockstarg...om/libertytree/

Also it is not canon... the story of Advance was terribly half-assed, and Rockstar Games isn't really referencing to it as a part of the series.

That's exactly what I meant, same as the Stories games, they messed up the dates. Really. Both Stories and Advance are, technically, canon, but both mess things up there. Advance has been more half-assed because of it being on the, you know, GBA. I've actually looked through it, everything seemed mashed in together, they were lucky they even got the game to work... although, after thinking about it, it's somewhat canon, but not really. I cannot pronounce myself on this matter right now, really.

After a few minutes of thinking:

It's more non-canon than canon but it's still somehow canon. It's a really weird situation, thinking about it, maybe, GTA Advance was never meant to be taken seriously (story wise). It has been made, just like the original GTAs, just for the fun of free roaming, this time, as a handheld, so yes, indeed, the game is not meant to be taken seriously. Therefore it's non-canon.
I'm sorry about my wrong previous answers, I did have some time right now to think it through, damn, that was a huge break through...

Although, that's sealed, CTW is indeed canon to the universe itself. Just hardly any kind of connection between the events of CTW and IV + EFLC.

AlfredNTheFettuc
  • AlfredNTheFettuc

Hellbanned but not

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

I think CW is canon in this way (I apologize for linking to TV Tropes):

http://tvtropes.org/...in/BroadStrokes

There are no references to it in V because CW wasn't that important, and it takes place on the opposite coast.

However, if we get a slightly updated Liberty City like some people want for GTA Online, I'd like some minor nods like the Monoglobe (destroyed in CW) being replaced with a newer one (with a cleaner texture), or with another monument altogether.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users