Quantcast

» «
Photo

How is this game not more lively than IV?

99 replies to this topic
Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:48 AM Edited by Deadly Target, 11 April 2016 - 09:11 AM.

In GTA IV, peds are lining up for nightclubs.

In GTA V, peds are lining up for imaginary nightclubs.

• TheOtherRyan, boxmonster, Choco Taco and 6 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

I would like to know what actually makes the city (and entire game) more lively?

So, according to OP, reading that list of "full of life" elements seen in GTA V, actually makes it more than GTA IV?
Any one who has played GTA IV might be wondering what was OP thinking when making that list?
Because, more or less, same or different, most of that list applues for GTA IV too.
So, that leaves the part ... "so much more" for actual discussion.
And, in that respect, GTA V has a lot of small surprises that APPEARS to be full of life, but in GTA IV and compared to every area on the map of IV it felt more SATISFYING.
Get the difference?
  • TheOtherRyan likes this

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

@Deadly Target
it's GTA IV 'DLC' <-
not gta iv
  • CantThinkOfOne2013 likes this

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

I've played the game quite some time and I recognized after a fairly short time that I can't get used to this reimagination of southern California. I wanted to get used to it but I just couldn't. For some reason I loved San Andreas back in 2004, the city (Los Santos) was not that huge obviously but to me it felt more like an actual playground (city) than it is LS from V. Also I think it would have been necessary (side note: I never was one of the whiners pre-release who constantly said bring San Fierro or/and Las Venturas back) - in order to make this the best GTA yet (of all time) - to implement a reimagination of at least one other city besides LS, prefered San Fierro (San Francisco) with countryside IN BETWEEN, maybe even a bit bigger and more diverse than the one from V, e.g. you drive out of LS, you come into the countryside which you would need to drive at least for 15 minutes, when taking roads (real time) to get somewhere close to San Fierro. Three protagonists, Michael from LS, Trevor from the countryside and Franklin from SF. Two great flashed out minigames for each, e.g. Franklin Basketball and Skateboarding, Trevor Hunting and Farm Worker (like spraying pesticides in Tongva Hills with the cropduster as seen in Trailer 1) and for Michael Tennis and Golf with Darts, Pool, Bowling, Air Hockey and all the other stuff like water/air/land races available for all of the three characters respectively. Random events all over the map. Another thing I would have added is that each of the three protagonists has one extra thing to do in his specific area: Franklin in SF has gang wars (sth along the lines as in SA from 2004), Trevor in Blaine County/countryside has rampages and Micheal in LS has taxi missions.

I wish I could work for R*, these ideas above ^ would have made it the best GTA of all time! I'm not lying. Not sure who's working at/for R* but are they seriously not thinking about these possibilities??? On what do they focus when making a GTA??? Also it would have been technically possible in V, and I would have agreed if they even would lower the graphics a bit for the fact that the gameplay and map is great, what does good graphics help when the gameplay and fun is broken???

• Osho likes this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

I've played the game quite some time and I recognized after a fairly short time that I can't get used to this reimagination of southern California. I wanted to get used to it but I just couldn't. For some reason I loved San Andreas back in 2004, the city (Los Santos) was not that huge obviously but to me it felt more like an actual playground (city) than it is LS from V. Also I think it would have been necessary (side note: I never was one of the whiners pre-release who constantly said bring San Fierro or/and Las Venturas back) - in order to make this the best GTA yet (of all time) - to implement a reimagination of at least one other city besides LS, prefered San Fierro (San Francisco) with countryside IN BETWEEN, maybe even a bit bigger and more diverse than the one from V, e.g. you drive out of LS, you come into the countryside which you would need to drive at least for 15 minutes, when taking roads (real time) to get somewhere close to San Fierro. Three protagonists, Michael from LS, Trevor from the countryside and Franklin from SF. Two great flashed out minigames for each, e.g. Franklin Basketball and Skateboarding, Trevor Hunting and Farm Worker (like spraying pesticides in Tongva Hills with the cropduster as seen in Trailer 1) and for Michael Tennis and Golf with Darts, Pool, Bowling, Air Hockey and all the other stuff like water/air/land races available for all of the three characters respectively. Random events all over the map. Another thing I would have added is that each of the three protagonists has one extra thing to do in his specific area: Franklin in SF has gang wars (sth along the lines as in SA from 2004), Trevor in Blaine County/countryside has rampages and Micheal in LS has taxi missions.
I wish I could work for R*, these ideas above ^ would have made it the best GTA of all time! I'm not lying. Not sure who's working at/for R* but are they seriously not thinking about these possibilities??? On what do they focus when making a GTA??? Also it would have been technically possible in V, and I would have agreed if they even would lower the graphics a bit for the fact that the gameplay and map is great, what does good graphics help when the gameplay and fun is broken???

THIS! .. EXACTLY THIS!

This is what I call the GTA game.
Truly the next level to experience rather artifice the formula by giving more prominence to graphics and huge worlds that are nowhere as appealing and fun as the great classics.
Rockstar has shamelessly tried to compromise the formula by actually picking wrong system (older consoles) firstly to introduce their so-called most ambitious GTA ever, then comes the big in everything, graphics, map, animations and, so much of a technical marvel than f*cking game play that feels too disconnected that as if we are forced to adjust accordingly, because that's the price we must pay to BALANCE OUT THINGS for playing on sh*tty consoles.
And, people are happy to accept it.
Brilliant!!.....

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

@Deadly Targetit's GTA IV 'DLC' <-not gta iv

Who gives a damn? It came out before V and therefore should've been in V if Rockstar likes to build on their previous games.
  • TheOtherRyan, Choco Taco and BlackNoise like this

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

If that was the case GTA IV should've had planes, Jetpack, car mods, haircuts, and tattoos.
  • Geralt of Rivia, I SHADOWFOX I and GTA564 like this

GtaivCop
  • GtaivCop

Crackhead

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:41 AM Edited by GtaivCop, 12 April 2014 - 07:42 AM.

Well most of the things the OP happen in IV already. When peds line up for clubs like the Russian cabaret place you could actually go inside. And the guards there actually recognise Niko and tell him to leave otherwise they try and throw him out. Having locked clubs in locked in V was just a big cock tease. But for me the random events in V felt artificial because it was always scripted in the same places. For example the guy getting mugged near franklins first house in the laneway, the cop chase near the 7/11 station, etc. Red dead redemption's encounters were actually randomised and thus felt more alive. V's felt like deja vu everytime.

SentinelXSVCS22
  • SentinelXSVCS22

LC IV

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:45 AM Edited by SentinelXSVCS22, 12 April 2014 - 07:48 AM.

IV to me is more alive than V in my opinion. I just find LC in IV to be more of a vibrant, interactive, interesting, and busy city compared to V. Yes V might be bigger and a lot more roaming around LS, but with LC, I find it interesting to go to the different places like Star Junction in Algonquin, West Dyke in Alderney, FIA in Dukes etc, to meet the different peds doing their own things. The peds might be the same where ever you go, and same with V no doubt (haven't really noticed yet). But that doesn't really bother me now as much it used to. 

I just wish LC had a slightly bigger map and extra places to go around the city, but just because it doesn't, I will still play the game because I enjoy the grittiness of LC etc. Both games are alive in their respective cities.  

• TheOtherRyan likes this

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:29 AM Edited by sibs44, 12 April 2014 - 11:31 AM.

I would like to know what actually makes the city (and entire game) more lively?

So, according to OP, reading that list of "full of life" elements seen in GTA V, actually makes it more than GTA IV?
Any one who has played GTA IV might be wondering what was OP thinking when making that list?
Because, more or less, same or different, most of that list applues for GTA IV too.
So, that leaves the part ... "so much more" for actual discussion.
And, in that respect, GTA V has a lot of small surprises that APPEARS to be full of life, but in GTA IV and compared to every area on the map of IV it felt more SATISFYING.
Get the difference?

Not really, because that's your opinion. And half of the things I mentioned weren't even in IV. If they were, I'm probably playing a different game. And yes, there is so much more to it, we'll probably take years noticing every little thing, I still find new things in GTAIII. 

• GTA564 likes this

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

frickie van hardenburgs best buddy friend

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

I seriously wonder if people play this game correctly, because most of them say it's dead! I just want to ask people if they have seen the following things in game.

-People lining up at nightclubs

-Chefs and waiters smoking/playing on their phones in back alleys.

-An insane amount of skaters in the underground skateparks

-NPC's doing tricks on halfpipes

-Police hanging out outside of the station, and black people.

-Square dancing hillbillies

-NPCs sitting and eaiting/on their phones outside many restaurants

-NPCs chillin on their balconies

-Trevor blowing sh*t up in Sandy Shores

-Peds running across the street because the light turned red.

-Peds stealing your car (yes this happens, very rarely though)

-The hobos underground

-So much more

If you have seen all or most of these, please explain why this game is dead, I really would like to know.  :r*:

this might helps players to feel immersed but it doesn't increase replay value.

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

this might helps players to feel immersed but it doesn't increase replay value.

To that I say...

far less single player replay action than earlier GTAs).

You can't be serious...

You can approach many missions multiple ways, each different way producing a different cutscene.

You can do heists in multiple different ways.

You can go back to any mission and do it again.

GTA V is literally the most replayable GTA game to date.

• Geralt of Rivia likes this

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

You can approach many missions multiple ways, each different way producing a different cutscene.

you-can-t-be-serious-joker.jpg

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:58 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 12 April 2014 - 01:19 PM.

I think what he means is missions such as "Marriage Counselling" having a different cutscene depending on who you start with. Quite a few missions are like that.
  • Geralt of Rivia likes this

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

some missions will let you play them however you want but most are scripted and will fail for many reasons, rockstar created a whole bunch of fail text messages so you would be forced to complete the missions as they intended you to.

In GTA IV you could choose how to approach almost every mission such as scoping out the mission area with a sniper rifle to stand a better chance before going in guns blazing, only mission I remember that was like this was where trevor attacks the o neils ranch.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

I've literally haven't seen more than like 9 pedestrians in one street in forever, meanwhile in GTA IV I remember many places having more pedestrians than in this game, with the obvious place being Star Junction.

That's not true. For example, go to Vespucci Beach around 12-1 pm and you will see dozens of peds.

• John Smith likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

I seriously wonder if some people here even played V for longer than five minutes before throwing it out of the pram. With all due respect, some of these obviously biased and bitter comments around here would have you believe V's active environment was reminiscent of the atmosphere at a Vanilla Ice concert.

far less single player replay action than earlier GTAs).

You can't be serious...

You can do heists in multiple different ways.

You can go back to any mission and do it again.

GTA V is literally the most replayable GTA game to date.

Yep. This is why it irks me whenever some members here continue to harp on about V's "short" campaign. Sure, on a single playthrough the story may be slightly shorter than other GTA's, but those "missing missions" are still there, but in the form of alternative options. This gives the game a significantly huge amount of replay value, and I hope R* cement this implementation in future titles. Give me replay worth over a one dimensional game any day of the week.

• Midnightz likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

some missions will let you play them however you want but most are scripted and will fail for many reasons, rockstar created a whole bunch of fail text messages so you would be forced to complete the missions as they intended you to.

In GTA IV you could choose how to approach almost every mission such as scoping out the mission area with a sniper rifle to stand a better chance before going in guns blazing, only mission I remember that was like this was where trevor attacks the o neils ranch.

There were a number of car chases in IV and the EFLC where no matter how much you shot the guy he didn't die until a certain time. People have a serious nostalgia filter with IV.

• John Smith and GTA564 like this

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

There were a number of car chases in IV and the EFLC where no matter how much you shot the guy he didn't die until a certain time. People have a serious nostalgia filter with IV.

gang wars aren't in GTA V

I declare myself winner of this argument.

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

I agree with you @Lucchese
Some people do not like GTA V and of course I respect everyone's opinion
But to say things that do not make sense just to denigrate the game is the
opposite of doing proper comparison
  • John Smith likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

If anyone is wondering why I don't post anymore, it's be

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:40 PM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 12 April 2014 - 01:53 PM.

bogt_achievements.jpg

That's from The Ballad of Gay Tony, not GTA IV.

Anyway, I don't know how people consider Liberty City to be more alive than Los Santos, Liberty City was a very well done city with a lot areas which are rich with life but it also had a number of dead areas.

My first example will be the airport, in GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA Liberty City Stories and GTA Vice City Stories, AI controled unobtainable passenger jets take off, fly around in a circle and land back at the airport, but in GTA IV, there are two planes which will slowly taxi around in circles on the tarmac while another two planes circle the city and swoop the airport without landing. In GTA V, planes will take off, land and taxi, instead of circling the map, the planes will fly off beyond the limits of the map giving the illusion that it's going somewhere.

My second example is the golf course, GTA IV had a golf course but it was completely deserted while in previous games, there were golf cars driving around, the same goes for GTA V, except you can play golf this time.

My third example will be construction sites, in GTA IV, construction sites were like the golf course, completley dead, in GTA V, there were construction vehicles and workers, obviously no construction work every happened but there was life.

Having great vehicle variety would have fixed a lot of the dead areas in Liberty City, I would also like to say that the lack of buses spawning dynimcally in the streets kind of destroyed the feel of a busy city sometimes.

Liberty City was not a dead city by any stretch of the imagination, it was very well done and there were plenty of areas that were rich with life but it still had the problems that I mentioned which no one who says that LC feels more alive than LS takes notice of.

• Midnightz, John Smith, Mr. Donkey and 1 other like this

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

yeah and how many random events do you see happening often in GTA V other than the 50 or so predetermined ones?

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

I will admit that actual clubs and interiors would have been nice in IV but the outside in V to me is more lively.

yeah and how many random events do you see happening often in GTA V other than the 50 or so predetermined ones?

More than IV. There was about 20 random encounters and once you were done with them they were over.

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

I will admit that actual clubs and interiors would have been nice in IV but the outside in V to me is more lively.

More than IV. There was about 20 random encounters and once you were done with them they were over.

those were stranger encounters (IV didn't have any random events) the random events in V aren't really random as they each appear in the same spot.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:55 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 12 April 2014 - 01:58 PM.

bogt_achievements.jpg

That's from The Ballad of Gay Tony, not GTA IV.

Anyway, I don't know how people consider Liberty City to be more alive than Los Santos, Liberty City was a very well done city with a lot areas which are rich with life but it also had a number of dead areas.

My first example will be the airport, in GTA III, GTA Vice City, GTA Liberty City Stories and GTA Vice City Stories, AI controled unobtainable passenger jets take off, fly around in a circle and land back at the airport, but in GTA IV, there are two planes which will slowly taxi around in circles on the tarmac while another two planes circle the city and swoop the airport without landing. In GTA V, planes will take off, land and taxi, instead of circling the map, the planes will fly off beyond the limits of the map giving the illusion that it's going somewhere.

My second example is the golf course, GTA IV had a golf course but it was completely deserted while in previous games, there were golf cars driving around, the same goes for GTA V, except you can play golf this time.

My third example will be construction sites, in GTA IV, construction sites were like the golf course, completley dead, in GTA V, there were construction vehicles and workers, obviously no construction work every happened but there was life.

Having great vehicle variety would have fixed a lot of the dead areas in Liberty City, I would also like to say that the lack of buses spawning dynimcally in the streets kind of destroyed the feel of a busy city sometimes.

Liberty City was not a dead city by any stretch of the imagination, it was very well done and there were plenty of areas that were rich with life but it still had the problems that I mentioned which no one who says that LC feels more alive than LS takes notice of.

Unfortunately i definitly have to agree with this even though IV was my 2nd best game in the
series (after V) :(

Conwin
  • Conwin

...because all America loves a cowboy

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

IV didn't have any random events

I guess this ends this argument.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:07 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 12 April 2014 - 02:10 PM.

Constructions sites in LC aren't dead. Construction workers spawn like they do in GTA V. Yeah there might not be bulldozers or cement trucks, but flatbed trucks do spawn at some sites.

Conwin
  • Conwin

...because all America loves a cowboy

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:07 PM Edited by Conwin, 12 April 2014 - 02:09 PM.

Rockstar has shamelessly tried to compromise the formula by actually picking wrong system (older consoles) firstly to introduce their so-called most ambitious GTA ever, 

You do realise that GTA V was in development way, way before the announcement of the new consoles. Rockstar always said this was their swan song to the last generation, they were always developing for the 360 and the PS3.  I have no doubt that we will see shinier versions pop up on PS4, XBONE and PC in the future, but the games main focus was for the older consoles. Simply because, when production started those consoles were still the main focus. They weren't just going to tear down the entire architecture of the game when the new consoles came out to try and cater to them. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Constructions sites in LC aren't dead. Construction workers spawn like they do in GTA V.

True but in V you can use the construction vehicles.

I've literally haven't seen more than like 9 pedestrians in one street in forever, meanwhile in GTA IV I remember many places having more pedestrians than in this game, with the obvious place being Star Junction.

That's not true. For example, go to Vespucci Beach around 12-1 pm and you will see dozens of peds.

The beach area at night is even better. Firefly island is a joke compared to it. 

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

gang wars aren't in GTA V

I declare myself winner of this argument.

If you're talking about the gang wars and turf missions in SA; those were some of the most boring and tediously repetitive tasks in the history of GTA. So they're not missed one iota by me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users